Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

THE WORST WAR FILMS

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> THE WORST WAR FILMS Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
THE WORST WAR FILMS - 7/1/2004 5:39:04 AM   
TexasLt

OKay, and now the worst or most historically inaccurate war films? Mine would be:

The Enemy Below
Midway
Windtalkers
Post #: 1
RE: THE WORST WAR FILMS - 7/1/2004 5:41:56 AM   
gunnergoz

Battle of the Bulge. Yuk. M-47's vs M-24's. Doubleyuk.
The Thin Red Line (recent version). WW2 in the neurotic ward.

"Things are getting better!
...Well, maybe not as good as they were yesterday, but much better than they will be tomorrow!"
-Old Russian saying

(in reply to TexasLt)
Post #: 2
RE: THE WORST WAR FILMS - 7/1/2004 5:44:37 AM   
cpt_Venomous

enemy at the gates and iron cross were a joke, both were a crude cliche flops

< Message edited by cpt_Venomous -- 7/1/2004 3:49:24 AM >

"Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.'
- Lord General Zyvan

(in reply to TexasLt)
Post #: 3
RE: THE WORST WAR FILMS - 7/1/2004 5:46:33 AM   
jnier

quote:

ORIGINAL: gunnergoz

Battle of the Bulge. Yuk. M-47's vs M-24's. Doubleyuk.
The Thin Red Line (recent version). WW2 in the neurotic ward.

IMHO Thin Red Line belongs in BEST war movie thread - not worst.

(in reply to gunnergoz)
Post #: 4
RE: THE WORST WAR FILMS - 7/1/2004 6:00:23 AM   
Fallschirmjager

Thin Red line takes alot of flak. Its not your typical war movie. But I liked it alot. The camara work, colors and visuals were amazing throughout the whole movie.

(in reply to jnier)
Post #: 5
RE: THE WORST WAR FILMS - 7/1/2004 6:03:31 AM   
brisd

I thought Enemy at the Gates had its problems but it captured the thrill of sniper warfare, the desperation of the Russians. Definitely not a worst film on my list. Battle of the Bulge is a guilty pleasure, again it captured the feel of the battle and overall situation well. Now where were they going to find German Panzers when they made that movie?

Two of the worst IMHO were Gods and Generals (I walked out it was so one-sided and poorly written) and the recent Pearl Harbor. The producers went through all that expense to create a digital version of battleship row and then they ruined it by showing modern US Navy vessels under attack.

"I propose to fight it out on this line if it takes all summer."-Note sent with Congressman Washburne from Spotsylvania, May 11, 1864, to General Halleck. - General Ulysses S. Grant

(in reply to jnier)
Post #: 6
RE: THE WORST WAR FILMS - 7/1/2004 6:05:51 AM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fallschirmjager

Thin Red line takes alot of flak. Its not your typical war movie. But I liked it alot. The camara work, colors and visuals were amazing throughout the whole movie.

BARRY LINDEN had some amazingly good "combat footage" and was filmed beautifully.
But the movie still sucked. As does THIN RED LINE.

(in reply to Fallschirmjager)
Post #: 7
RE: THE WORST WAR FILMS - 7/1/2004 6:08:39 AM   
gunnergoz

I enjoyed Enemy at the Gates, possibly because my wife is a native Ukrainian and she and her Mom also thought it was pretty good (and her Mom was around back then, though not in Stalingrad.)

As to Battle of the Bulge and phony panzers, I guess the same could be said for Pearl Harbor...the excuse is, "they used what was available."

The only problem with that is that we've all seen Hollywood epics that were shamed by foreign films that had a quarter of the budget. I'd rather they spend money on a few simulated tin-clad panzers (like SPR) than treating us to scads of repainted Bundeswher tanks. As it was, BOB spent most of it's money on cast salaries IIRC.

...Well, maybe not as good as they were yesterday, but much better than they will be tomorrow!"
-Old Russian saying

(in reply to brisd)
Post #: 8
RE: THE WORST WAR FILMS - 7/1/2004 6:08:45 AM   
Jorm

Yes
the second pearl harbour was a dud, nice graphics but a truly awful film

(in reply to brisd)
Post #: 9
RE: THE WORST WAR FILMS - 7/1/2004 6:12:38 AM   
cpt_Venomous

as far as enemy at the gates go rus vets laughed once they saw it most felt it was a joke and lot thought it was an usult.

< Message edited by cpt_Venomous -- 7/1/2004 4:14:45 AM >

"Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.'
- Lord General Zyvan

(in reply to TexasLt)
Post #: 10
RE: THE WORST WAR FILMS - 7/1/2004 6:15:52 AM   
yamaslob

I would have to second that B of the bulge was the all time worst. The tank thingy was bad but did everyone who got shot have to throw their arms up in the air? sigh. And were was all the snow? Worst winter in 50 years and just a dusting in the movie. Terrible!

yamaslob

(in reply to Jorm)
Post #: 11
RE: THE WORST WAR FILMS - 7/1/2004 6:25:12 AM   
gunnergoz

I LOVED the part in BOB where the US tankers have the entire upper turret and roof supposedly blown off their M-24 by a Tiger and they are driving around in this semi-convertible, all the while ranting on the radio...

-Old Russian saying

(in reply to yamaslob)
Post #: 12
RE: THE WORST WAR FILMS - 7/1/2004 6:46:25 AM   
Copper

I'd have to say worst movie is Stalingrad, completely one sided in the opinion of the Russians, even though the director is German, and the story is German.

Best movie goes to Bridge over the river Kwai or Dr. Strangelove.

(in reply to gunnergoz)
Post #: 13
RE: THE WORST WAR FILMS - 7/1/2004 6:52:04 AM   
rlc27

IMHO Thin Red Line was a close to a masterpiece. Not as a conventional war flick, but as a psychological tour de force. Didn't like how they only had 1 transport available though. My main problem was that it was overly interpretive from the book; all that Buddhist stuff was added in, while the book plays it pretty straight. And it's a lot funnier.

"They couldn't hit an elephant from this dist--"

--John Sedgwick, failing to reduce suppression during the Battle of the Wilderness, U.S. Civil War.

(in reply to Copper)
Post #: 14
RE: THE WORST WAR FILMS - 7/1/2004 6:54:34 AM   
GameTester

Gods and Generals - talk about dull and boring... is the Battle of Fredericksburg over yet?

Windtalkers - not believable at all...

Pearl Harbor - Ben Affleck, need more be said...

"I want, I want, gimme, gimme, gimme, I need, I need!"

Bob Wiley from What About Bob?

(in reply to TexasLt)
Post #: 15
RE: THE WORST WAR FILMS - 7/1/2004 7:08:05 AM   
rlc27

Two of my favorite "underdog" war movies, both of which I think might have been made for HBO, are

"When Trumpets Fade." About the battle of Huertgen forest. Has that guy that played the state trooper in house of sand and fog (semi-chick flick but has Jennifer Connely ) Very authentic equipment. On both the soldiers and Ms. Connely.

"A Midnight Clear." A "Lite" war movie, more like a parable, but I loved the BOB atmosphere. Gary Sinise is always good in a military role. Evoked the Christmas truces of WWI and is a really good "Christmas War Movie."

< Message edited by rlc27 -- 7/1/2004 12:09:12 AM >

"They couldn't hit an elephant from this dist--"

--John Sedgwick, failing to reduce suppression during the Battle of the Wilderness, U.S. Civil War.

(in reply to GameTester)
Post #: 16
RE: THE WORST WAR FILMS - 7/1/2004 7:13:55 AM   
gunnergoz

And don't forget that recent yuppie flick about the Huertgen Forest...I forget the name. I just recall all the characters walking around with their wool "jeep" caps on backwards...so "cool" y'know? Actually, I've seen thousands of WW2 photos and never once saw one of those worn backwards. I had one, a long time ago, recall wearing it some, and it just wasn't comfy worn backwards. I'll bet that movie set was full of cast and crew wearing their ballcaps backwards, as well...

-Old Russian saying

(in reply to rlc27)
Post #: 17
RE: THE WORST WAR FILMS - 7/1/2004 8:37:35 AM   
afspret

Pearl Harbor
Midway
Battle of the Bulge

I have yet to see God and Generals, but if I ever do, it will have to be pretty bad, in my opinion, to replace any of the above.

(in reply to gunnergoz)
Post #: 18
RE: THE WORST WAR FILMS - 7/1/2004 8:47:20 AM   
ZOOMIE1980

quote:

I enjoyed Enemy at the Gates, possibly because my wife is a native Ukrainian and she and her Mom also thought it was pretty good (and her Mom was around back then, though not in Stalingrad.)

As to Battle of the Bulge and phony panzers, I guess the same could be said for Pearl Harbor...the excuse is, "they used what was available."

The only problem with that is that we've all seen Hollywood epics that were shamed by foreign films that had a quarter of the budget. I'd rather they spend money on a few simulated tin-clad panzers (like SPR) than treating us to scads of repainted Bundeswher tanks. As it was, BOB spent most of it's money on cast salaries IIRC.

The Eastern Front is a very under produced theater in Hollowood. There is so much good material from that part of the War that has not had Hollywood resources tossed at it. Enemy at the Gates did a good job of capturing just how desperate the Soviets were in 1942. The TV series, World At War, captured some of that early Russian hopelessness when they touched on the situation in Lenningrad in early 1942. The 1970's move Iron Cross with James Coburn covered that theater as well.

But this is an area of WWII that still has some great undone stories for Hollywood to cover. Kursk, siege of Lenningrad, Hitler retaking Karkhov, the near collapse of the Soviet government in Moscow in Nov of 1941....lots of good stuff.

(in reply to gunnergoz)
Post #: 19
RE: THE WORST WAR FILMS - 7/1/2004 9:18:13 AM   
cpt_Venomous

quote:

ORIGINAL: ZOOMIE1980

quote:

The Eastern Front is a very under produced theater in Hollowood. There is so much good material from that part of the War that has not had Hollywood resources tossed at it. Enemy at the Gates did a good job of capturing just how desperate the Soviets were in 1942. The TV series, World At War, captured some of that early Russian hopelessness when they touched on the situation in Lenningrad in early 1942. The 1970's move Iron Cross with James Coburn covered that theater as well.

But this is an area of WWII that still has some great undone stories for Hollywood to cover. Kursk, siege of Lenningrad, Hitler retaking Karkhov, the near collapse of the Soviet government in Moscow in Nov of 1941....lots of good stuff.

If germans captured Moscow that wouldnt give em an automatic victory, soviet government wasnt near collapse at all, all the movies made by Hollywodd about Russian front or even Russia and russians are extremely thickly exaggerated, crude and cliche actually, best if they dont make them at all, things portrayed in those movies are as alien to me as they're to you (im native Great Russian)would help if one of those directors at least spent a year living in Russia before even atempting one of those films. Russia is different its neither west or east but its own unique culture and worldview.

< Message edited by cpt_Venomous -- 7/1/2004 10:28:37 AM >

- Lord General Zyvan

(in reply to ZOOMIE1980)
Post #: 20
RE: THE WORST WAR FILMS - 7/1/2004 9:56:02 AM   
cpt_Venomous

quote:

ORIGINAL: Copper

I'd have to say worst movie is Stalingrad, completely one sided in the opinion of the Russians, even though the director is German, and the story is German.

Best movie goes to Bridge over the river Kwai or Dr. Strangelove.

yup too timid of the movie I'd say, but dont forget that non-German director could get away with easily, German director cant and on other hand is literally forced to be politicaly correct, if not he'll be mobbed both at home and abroad. Just like Leni Riefenstahl, talented director who was chased from the moviemaking after war's end.

- Lord General Zyvan

(in reply to Copper)
Post #: 21
RE: THE WORST WAR FILMS - 7/1/2004 10:34:59 AM   
drw61

Definitely Gods and Generals. I was going to walk out but my wife said it had to get better, I slept through the rest of the movie! On the other hand I really enjoyed Gettysburg the first in the series.

(in reply to TexasLt)
Post #: 22
RE: THE WORST WAR FILMS - 7/1/2004 11:16:14 AM   
52nd Lowland

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fallschirmjager

I guess everyone has there opinion but i thought the Thin Red Line was an excellent movie from all aspects.

(in reply to Fallschirmjager)
Post #: 23
RE: THE WORST WAR FILMS - 7/1/2004 11:58:51 AM   
Delphinium

Try if possible to get to see

Inchon - Laurence Oliver as McArthur

The shame is it will NEVER get to DVD/VHS release. It should be released as a lesson on how to make a bad film.

(in reply to 52nd Lowland)
Post #: 24
RE: THE WORST WAR FILMS - 7/1/2004 12:25:23 PM   
Didz

Here are the three worst films I have seen/heard of:

Patriot
U571
Pearl Harbour

Didz
Fortis balore et armis

(in reply to TexasLt)
Post #: 25
RE: THE WORST WAR FILMS - 7/1/2004 12:27:36 PM   
cpt_Venomous

We were soldiers

- Lord General Zyvan

(in reply to Didz)
Post #: 26
RE: THE WORST WAR FILMS - 7/1/2004 12:27:44 PM   
freeboy

which patriot? the recent movie with Mel was richly received here in the states.. wonderful music, tight action and transitions to next scene.. likable main charactor.

(in reply to Didz)
Post #: 27
RE: THE WORST WAR FILMS - 7/1/2004 3:26:07 PM   
Delphinium

Braveheart - poor war film, fine fantasy action film.

Just waiting for a film covering Flodden & many of the other great Scottish military triumphs

< Message edited by Delphinium -- 7/1/2004 2:12:00 PM >

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 28
RE: THE WORST WAR FILMS - 7/1/2004 4:03:59 PM   
nico71

Worst ever: U-571 and Pearl Harbor!

Re Enemy at the Gates, my expectations were very low considering that it was just another Hollyweird movie. But by their low standards the movie was surprisingly good. Even though it was 95% fantasy.

Here's some info about the historical background (or the lack of it):

http://216.198.255.120/russianpart/russnipers.html

(in reply to TexasLt)
Post #: 29
RE: THE WORST WAR FILMS - 7/1/2004 4:20:51 PM   
CaptBeefheart

"Pearl Harbor" (Affleck as P-40 and B-25 pilot? Emotion-sapping love story?)
Anything where you can operate behind enemy lines using German-accented English

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to nico71)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> THE WORST WAR FILMS Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI