Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Computer Control

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Computer Control Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Computer Control - 3/25/2004 11:02:01 PM   
Warmonger

Ok...

First off...SPWAW is the greatest game ever made. Second off: Hello everyone, you will start hearing a lot from me, as I am thouroghly addicted but not very good...thus I have lots to learn. Now...here we go!

In the headquarters screen, you can let the computer control some (or all) of your formations. My question is: How does this occur? Does that formation then think and act as if the AI were in control, making decisions? Or does it simply defend 0,0 or advance to 0,0 (As per it's stance)?

I am playing the included Stalingrad Campaign. I am on the third scenario (First two were draws...told you I wasnt very good) and there are AUX units everywhere (up to BH for Pete's sake!). The first two scenarios had AUX units, but not such an overwhelming amount...

If I turn over control of these AUX units, (which seems realistic to me anyway, as they are not under my command, technically) will they do their jobs while I support? Or will they just defend/advance to their objective flags? (I play with C&C off)

Thanks in advance!

P.S. On an unrelated subject: Does it bother anyone else that in the long WWII campaign, sometimes you can break the opposing forces morale AND control every single objective...and when the points are tallied...DRAW! Seems a bit strange...

WARMONGER
Post #: 1
RE: Computer Control - 3/25/2004 11:08:07 PM   
minefield

Draws do suck. The scoring is harsh on a player when first getting into it. As far as campaigns go, some can get very large and overwhelming. I would suggest, Tulagi-the first strike for a more reasonably sized campaign.
As far as computer control goes, I have no clue. Seeing how the path finding is, I wouldn't trust the computer to load my guns for me. I recommend you control those units. Just don't try to play long sittings, or you will be overwhelmed by the amount of orders that need to be given.

(in reply to Warmonger)
Post #: 2
Manual v5.0: Computer Movement - 3/26/2004 4:23:04 AM   
minefield

Scenario designers may assign waypoints to computer-controlled formations, or players may
assign them to forces that they are allowing the computer to run. The AI will follow these way
points, moving and fighting as needed, until the waypoints are all reached or until turn 25. To
activate waypoints for formations that a human player has ordered the computer to take over, go
to the Headquarters Screen and click on the icon of a human next to the appropriate formation. A
computer icon will then appear. Next, click on the waypoint (the far left) button, which will take
you to the map and allow you to click on waypoint hexes.

(in reply to minefield)
Post #: 3
RE: Manual v5.0: Computer Movement - 3/26/2004 8:08:33 AM   
Kokoda

I think that the computer control doesn't work unless you use C&C on. If you do, the computer controls the movement and firing etc. You can set way points in this mode...I think.

I remember reading some posts by Redleg that shows how this works, but I can't find this now.

Some suggest that the highest form of the game is to set objectives & waypoints etc, and then let the computer run everything. They say this is the closest approximation of the role of the commander...but it would dumb down your excellent command skills to AI level!

I know this is just a vague hint. My advice is don't trust the AI. Tell the chaps what you want them to do each turn.

CHRIS

(in reply to minefield)
Post #: 4
RE: Manual v5.0: Computer Movement - 3/26/2004 7:02:22 PM   
Poopyhead

The only way to learn how to do something better is to do it yourself. If you could click something so that the computer fought the battle for you, would you use it? After you become more experienced you will see that the computer opponent is at best only a punching bag. Good luck!

Oh, an administrator or a manager may think that he can set back and just give orders, but no leader wants a battalion of mindless zombies. A leader teaches his staff, mentors his officers and trains his soldiers to be victorious. A computer army has no courage, honor or soul. As such, I do all the moving and firing, because I am the only human on my side.

(in reply to Kokoda)
Post #: 5
RE: Manual v5.0: Computer Movement - 3/26/2004 11:30:41 PM   
minefield

Killing hoardes of undead zombies! ala Dawn of the Dead and Romera's other works
'you have to shoot em in the head'

(in reply to Poopyhead)
Post #: 6
RE: Manual v5.0: Computer Movement - 7/1/2004 9:44:04 PM   
UndercoverNotChickenSalad

I use computer control almost all the time.

I'm too lazy to play all the units so what I do is start a campaign, buy a batalion and control only 1 company myself. It gives the game a role playing aspect which is nice. Then I just assume the batalion commander is a complete nitwit. So while the rest of the batalion is advancing toward the enemy w/ no skill and no imagination, getting chopped up, my company sneaks around the side, 0wNs the enemy HQ, and steals all the glory. Its quite fun to play this way.

Sometimes the batalian gets mauled badly, but I don't care b/c guess who's company gets first dibs during requisition

< Message edited by UndercoverNotChickenSalad -- 7/1/2004 2:46:20 PM >

(in reply to minefield)
Post #: 7
RE: Computer Control - 7/1/2004 10:44:40 PM   
Tequila

Don't feel bad for getting a draw on the first two scens of Stalingrad for your first time through. I doubt many people were prepared for the partisan activity in the first scen which got me pretty good :) And the 2nd scen Jefrosinowka I recall getting a draw also, it's a lot of ground to cover in a short amount of time to get to the VHs and evict those Russians. The third was a riotious tank battle. Keep with it, I firmly believe that campaign is one of the bettter around for building up knowledge and skills because of the wide variety of battles and general sneakiness of the designers to make it as tough as possible.

There are many easier battles along the way and then comes the very tough city battle that will keep you swearing as the Russian horde just never stops coming for you :)

(in reply to Warmonger)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Computer Control Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI