Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

GamersHell download site and spyware

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> GamersHell download site and spyware Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
GamersHell download site and spyware - 7/2/2004 3:16:46 PM   
Resisti

I’m using Spybot (a spyware “search & destroy” tool) on my pc, and as soon as the Gamershell page opened a warning from Spybot popped out, too, stating that the page was trying to download on my computer the “Avenue A.Inc”, and this was a known threat. I obviously blocked the download of this stuff.

Avenue A. Inc” for what I know is trying to place a tracking cookie, on your system.

Matrix is paying for GamersHell’s bandwidth I think, and what happened it doesn’t look so fair, from GamersHell to do; thought you all wanted to know and pay attention.

Federico "Resisti" Doveri
Post #: 1
RE: GamersHell download site and spyware - 7/2/2004 3:43:32 PM   
Toivo

Uhm don't trust all sort of spyware and virus detectors too much. They tend to count as malicious files systemfiles, files of certain programs (even other antivirus/spyware removal software!) and overall make alot of panic.

In the other hand internet is full of viruses and spyware or popups nowadays, not to mention malicious scripts etc.

(in reply to Resisti)
Post #: 2
RE: GamersHell download site and spyware - 7/2/2004 4:07:15 PM   
m10bob

NOPE!!!! Resisti is correct...Gamershell is full of spyware..I suspect they have to pay their bills somehow,and their website does have disclaimers (of not being responsible,etc),but I feel they should at least indicate the spyware they are propogating??

(in reply to Toivo)
Post #: 3
RE: GamersHell download site and spyware - 7/2/2004 5:15:35 PM   
plloyd

The best defence against spyware is a browser and email client which will not auto install and run scripts. I use Mozilla, I hear Orera is pretty good too. It is also good to get rid of the popups and block cookies from sites you don't like (such as doubleclick.

If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 4
RE: GamersHell download site and spyware - 7/3/2004 7:25:02 AM   
Paranormalix

Downloaded from Gamershell with Mozilla Firefox and Getright. After 1st time reading this topic I checked my pc with Spybot and nothing was found. So I guess the problem might be IE...

" One size fits all : .50 " "unknown"

(in reply to plloyd)
Post #: 5
RE: GamersHell download site and spyware - 7/8/2004 7:57:55 PM   
Silencer

Spybot S&D is actually pretty well spot on normally.

And Plloyd, yes Mozilla/Firefox are good, but not all spyware works via your browser and email clients, nor are their blocks perfect especially since sometimes you're going to hit sites where you need to use IE, for example if you're going to keep your security updates upto date in MS Windows, you're going to have to open up IE to use the windows update website. And I know a few of my own site's PHP scripts (nothing I developed myself at least so far) don't work correctly under anything but IE either.

Personally I feel if you don't like the thought of your PC being used against you, or being damaged should take reasonable precautions.

Firewall (keep the signature files upto date), anyone who has a decent router for their broadband connection usually doesn't require a software firewall since the router usually performs the same function.
Anti Virus (as always keep upto date)
Maintaining upto date security patches (most of the new virii being talked about so frequently on the news require thestupidity of users not maintaining their machines properly)
Spyware blocking is sometimes iffy like Toivo said, but a good set of tools is spybot seek & destroy plus spyware blaster. Spybot S&D will (provided once again you've kept it upto date) remove spyware and annoying trackers, and Spyware Blaster will keep them off.
Use a browser and email client not produced by Microsoft. 1. They're security issues. 2. They really do suck in general (I personally hate Outlook and Outlook Express due to mail issues particularly messages going AWOL when the software is set not to purge out mail).

Yes I am insane, I share my mind with a cat.
No I do not want to go to bed with you, so quit asking.
My idea of a relaxing morning is driving over my Fiancée's new boyfriend with an M1A2, but not because I'm jealous (it's because he's an absolute ****)

(in reply to Paranormalix)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> GamersHell download site and spyware Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI