Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Sticker Shock - Is it worth it?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Sticker Shock - Is it worth it? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sticker Shock - Is it worth it? - 7/2/2004 3:44:49 PM   
Rik81

$69.99 for a game, and you don't even get a printed manual? Seems a bit excessive to me. I realize that .pdf manuals are the rage -- TO REDUCE COSTS(?). So why is this game still so expensive?

Is it worth it? I think I will need a printed manual(s), which of course my computer printer can do ... so that adds the expense of paper and ink to an already HIGH priced game.

So, to repeat the question: Is it worth it?
Post #: 1
RE: Sticker Shock - Is it worth it? - 7/2/2004 3:53:51 PM   
Raverdave

Rik, the only way to answer this is to ask you a question................do you think that having a game that you will still be playing in 4 or 5 years on your computer a good buy? If so then you have already answered your own question. This game will be a benchmark game against which all furture wargames will be measured. Yes I know that is a big call, but I think that there are thousands of other posters on this forum whom would agree.

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

(in reply to Rik81)
Post #: 2
RE: Sticker Shock - Is it worth it? - 7/2/2004 4:36:57 PM   
byron13

Not only that, but if you want it printed, you can do it yourself. I would rather Matrix spend its tight cash on making sure the manual is complete (boy, is it: 220 pages!) than on printing an incomplete manual. Rik, I don't disagree that a printed manual would be nice, but having a printed manual is far, far down on my list of priorities.

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 3
RE: Sticker Shock - Is it worth it? - 7/2/2004 4:40:28 PM   
Admiral DadMan

You're not just getting a game, you're getting a full fledged Editor, too.

Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to Rik81)
Post #: 4
RE: Sticker Shock - Is it worth it? - 7/2/2004 4:45:26 PM   
soeren01

And getting a printed manual via Digital download is rather difficult.

soeren01, formerly known as Soeren
CoG FoF
PacWar WIR BoB BTR UV WITP WITE WITW

(in reply to Admiral DadMan)
Post #: 5
RE: Sticker Shock - Is it worth it? - 7/2/2004 4:58:07 PM   
Bobthehatchit

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rik81

$69.99 for a game, and you don't even get a printed manual? Seems a bit excessive to me. I realize that .pdf manuals are the rage -- TO REDUCE COSTS(?). So why is this game still so expensive?

Is it worth it? I think I will need a printed manual(s), which of course my computer printer can do ... so that adds the expense of paper and ink to an already HIGH priced game.

You'd pay almost the same for your average FSP or RTS, which has a 10th of the scale and detail, hell you'd play them for a few months at most then discard them, you'll be playing this for years! How can that be bad value for money!

"Look at yours before laughing at mine". Garfield 1984.

Wanted: ISDII Low millage in Imperial gray.

Just my 2 pence worth.
I might not be right.
Hell I am probaby wrong.
But thats my opinion for what its worth!

(in reply to Rik81)
Post #: 6
RE: Sticker Shock - Is it worth it? - 7/2/2004 5:04:51 PM   
Germ29

Remember when the games in the 90's all cost 59-69.99? Alot of them sucked and there was no support. Try it and see what you think. The support here is great too.

(in reply to Rik81)
Post #: 7
RE: Sticker Shock - Is it worth it? - 7/2/2004 5:07:21 PM   
ZOOMIE1980

Wrong part of the forum guys.... As I have been reminded as well, this is for tech support, not bitching about the price....

(in reply to Germ29)
Post #: 8
RE: Sticker Shock - Is it worth it? - 7/2/2004 5:08:14 PM   
Erik Rutins

I should add that the original Pacific War (with printed 100+ page manual) went for $79.95 more than ten years ago, as long as we're comparing.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Germ29)
Post #: 9
RE: Sticker Shock - Is it worth it? - 7/2/2004 5:18:10 PM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

ORIGINAL: ZOOMIE1980

Wrong part of the forum guys.... As I have been reminded as well, this is for tech support, not bitching about the price....

No this is the general forum for WITP. You can bitch about the price all day long here if you like.

(in reply to ZOOMIE1980)
Post #: 10
RE: Sticker Shock - Is it worth it? - 7/2/2004 5:18:35 PM   
Sonny

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

I should add that the original Pacific War (with printed 100+ page manual) went for $79.95 more than ten years ago, as long as we're comparing.

Regards,

- Erik

And up until UV came along there were still some people playing it. WitP will be the same (may take that long to finish a complete game). If you like WWII in the Pacific then this game is definitely worth it.

Quote from Snigbert -

"If you mess with the historical accuracy, you're going to have ahistorical outcomes."

"I'll say it again for Sonny's sake: If you mess with historical accuracy, you're going to have
ahistorical outcomes. "

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 11
RE: Sticker Shock - Is it worth it? - 7/2/2004 5:23:28 PM   
ZOOMIE1980

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marc Schwanebeck

quote:

No this is the general forum for WITP. You can bitch about the price all day long here if you like.

This post was in the Support Forum. Someone moved it after I made my comment.....

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 12
RE: Sticker Shock - Is it worth it? - 7/2/2004 5:26:37 PM   
Erik Rutins

Yep, sorry for the confusion, I moved it as I agree with Zoomie that it belonged in the general forum.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to ZOOMIE1980)
Post #: 13
RE: Sticker Shock - Is it worth it? - 7/2/2004 5:29:07 PM   
Mr.Frag

I find it funny how little response this thread has gotten. I guess it is self answering because everyone who has already downloaded the game is too busy playing to answer

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 14
RE: Sticker Shock - Is it worth it? - 7/2/2004 5:34:12 PM   
MButtazoni

$50 for a piece of crap strategy game (my shelf is full of them) or $70 for a game you will be playing for 10 years.

where's the sticker shock?

Maurice Buttazoni
Project Coordinator, Playtest Coordinator

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 15
RE: Sticker Shock - Is it worth it? - 7/2/2004 5:49:04 PM   
Arnir

If you like this kind of game, then yes, it is worth it.

If you don't like/want a detailed & thoughtful game covering the entire Pacific War, it isn't worth it.

(in reply to Rik81)
Post #: 16
RE: Sticker Shock - Is it worth it? - 7/2/2004 5:53:40 PM   
Nikademus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag

I find it funny how little response this thread has gotten. I guess it is self answering because everyone who has already downloaded the game is too busy playing to answer

probably because the topic has come up so many times before and has been beaten deader than any other topic

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 17
RE: Sticker Shock - Is it worth it? - 7/2/2004 6:08:02 PM   
Admiral DadMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: MButtazoni

$50 for a piece of crap strategy game (my shelf is full of them) or $70 for a game you will be playing for 10 years.

Carriers at War went onto my shelf within months of buying it. I bought Uncommon Valor the week it came out, and played the hell out of it up until Christmas this past year.

< Message edited by Admiral DadMan -- 7/2/2004 11:09:05 AM >

Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to MButtazoni)
Post #: 18
RE: Sticker Shock - Is it worth it? - 7/2/2004 6:10:33 PM   
ZOOMIE1980

quote:

10 years is all??? I still have Apple and Amiga emulators playing games from 1983-1986 going!! I might beable to get through a complete campaign by 10 years from now, one playing each side.....maybe.....if I am dedicated.....

(in reply to MButtazoni)
Post #: 19
RE: Sticker Shock - Is it worth it? - 7/2/2004 6:18:15 PM   
MButtazoni

quote:

quote:

10 years is all??? I still have Apple and Amiga emulators playing games from 1983-1986 going!! I might beable to get through a complete campaign by 10 years from now, one playing each side.....maybe.....if I am dedicated.....

i'll most likely be dead in 10 years tho

Maurice Buttazoni
Project Coordinator, Playtest Coordinator

(in reply to ZOOMIE1980)
Post #: 20
RE: Sticker Shock - Is it worth it? - 7/2/2004 6:35:41 PM   
Grotius

I agree with everyone else: $70 is a small price to pay for what may be the best computer wargame ever made.

I'd add that in real-dollar terms (i.e., accounting for inflation), this game is *much* cheaper than PacWar was.

One further explanation: Matrix is selling to a niche market, not the masses. If you can sell in very high volume (e.g., Civilization or Doom), you can charge a lower price and stay in business. If you sell in smaller quantities, you need to charge more to meet your costs.

< Message edited by Grotius -- 7/2/2004 4:37:05 PM >

(in reply to MButtazoni)
Post #: 21
RE: Sticker Shock - Is it worth it? - 7/2/2004 6:38:35 PM   
ZOOMIE1980

quote:

quote:

quote:

i'll most likely be dead in 10 years tho

Just another way of saying, "I'm getting my money's worth".

(in reply to MButtazoni)
Post #: 22
RE: Sticker Shock - Is it worth it? - 7/2/2004 6:56:18 PM   
TSCofield

I've been reviewing games 'professionally' (can you really do that professionally? No, I don't get paid spit) for five years.

If last night holds, and I am up every night until 3 am, ticking my wife off, getting no sleep, ignoring food and only getting up when I feel like I am going to explode then yes I will say it is worth it.

Imagine UV on steroids. I am just amazed. If I could get it to run on my laptop life would be perfect.

Thomas S. Cofield
Feature Editor, SimHQ.com
t.co0field@comcast.net (stopped the SimHq mail since I get nothing but spam)

(in reply to Rik81)
Post #: 23
RE: Sticker Shock - Is it worth it? - 7/2/2004 7:08:40 PM   
Grouchy

Yup, the game is more expensive then the average game on the market.
However there's nothing better on the market in this genre and probally won't be for some time. If you like huge detailed strategic wargames it's simply a must buy.
Of course if they arn't your cup of tea....

< Message edited by Grouchy -- 7/2/2004 6:09:46 PM >

(in reply to ZOOMIE1980)
Post #: 24
RE: Sticker Shock - Is it worth it? - 7/2/2004 7:09:04 PM   
maddog0606

quote:

For a person like myself who has been playing these types of games (board and computer) since about 1970 it sure has heck is.

< Message edited by maddog0606 -- 7/2/2004 5:15:23 PM >

(in reply to Rik81)
Post #: 25
RE: Sticker Shock - Is it worth it? - 7/2/2004 7:12:55 PM   
Stavka_lite

Mt first impression of this game is WOW! Having been a wargamer for 30 years now I have seen my share of games, good and bad and computers have amplified that to Great and Terrible. There are only two computer Games that are great in my book and is generally because the developers stuck to their guns and didn't crack under the pressure to release before it was ready. Consequently when those two companies say they have something, I believe them. Needles to say, Matrix is one of those companies and WitP is one of the games.

Great Job Matrix, I'll be buying more of your games and speaking well of you to my friends.

Yes, it is a dry heat... but so is a bloody blast furnace!

(in reply to TSCofield)
Post #: 26
RE: Sticker Shock - Is it worth it? - 7/2/2004 7:16:27 PM   
RHOMSCUSNR04

ABSOLUTELY... After waiting 2 years it is worth it and anybody who thinks otherwise this game is not for u...from download to play i have had zero bugs...only a few buds since midnight ...well time to go to work...this game is awesome....now i can play something other than HOI....thanks Matrix

(in reply to Rik81)
Post #: 27
RE: Sticker Shock - Is it worth it? - 7/2/2004 7:56:40 PM   
Cherper

I was looking forward to the game, but at $70 can't convince myself or my wife that it is worth it. If I could buy it a Best Buy or someplace else for $50 I would, but at this price I won't be buying it. I have lots of other games to keep me going.

(in reply to RHOMSCUSNR04)
Post #: 28
RE: Sticker Shock - Is it worth it? - 7/2/2004 7:59:39 PM   
von Murrin

Wow. Nobody has said it, or maybe I'm the only one who thinks this way...

I sometimes judge the value of games by the amount paid per hour of entertainment. If it's a short but nifty little story-driven FPS that will engage me for 10 hours, I'll wait until the price goes down to about $20. $2 per hour seems to be a point where I feel I've made a good purchase. I have no idea why and yes, there are exceptions.

If you jump straight into the grand campaign for WitP, my guess is your effective fee per hour of entertainment will be around $.02 if you play fast. Wargames tend to be good value purchases from this POV.

Buy it. It's worth it.

I give approximately two fifths of a !#$% at any given time!

(in reply to RHOMSCUSNR04)
Post #: 29
RE: Sticker Shock - Is it worth it? - 7/2/2004 8:00:18 PM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

If I could buy it a Best Buy or someplace else for $50 I would, but at this price I won't be buying it. I have lots of other games to keep me going.

Well, sorry to hear that, but this game will not be going to retail stores so there will not be a bargain bin version 6 months from now. Just letting you know so you don't don't sit around waiting for something that is not going to happen.

(in reply to Cherper)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Sticker Shock - Is it worth it? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI