Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Holy **** this game is big...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Holy **** this game is big... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Holy **** this game is big... - 7/2/2004 6:16:48 PM   
Fallschirmjager

I know people hate these spam posts...but ive been around a while...so im entitled to one
I didnt realize just how much of a beast this game was...I was rummaging around last night and thinking to myself 'there is no way I will ever manage this mess...'
I said the same thing about UV....and while im no master...I know the game pretty well.
But I just cant see myself learning this ...my eyes glazed over and my head hurt for just an hour of looking around...and that was only about a 1/3 of my bases...and that was just the Allied side....
I cant imagine the effort that went into this thing.
I will soldier on like I did in UV.
Hopefully after a few weeks of reading I will pick up some info on how to play and enjoy this monster.

Post #: 1
RE: Holy **** this game is big... - 7/2/2004 6:19:48 PM   
The Gnome

I had the same exact feeling. Once I got it loaded it was so huge I found myself staring at the screen muttering "Now what?" to myself. I woke up this morning thinking "Now What?". And now I'm sitting here at work posting and thinking "Now What?".

Maybe I should have played a smaller scenario or something but that's not right!

(in reply to Fallschirmjager)
Post #: 2
RE: Holy **** this game is big... - 7/2/2004 6:27:33 PM   
Fallschirmjager

I played the Coral Sea scenario (which went exactly according to history oddly enough...) and even in that you have dozens of subs and hundreds of transports to manage.
And thats one of the smallest in the game on a map I have spent hundreds of hours looking at over the last 18 months.
I feel sort of like a platoon commander spending months with his platoon training for an invasion and making sure him and his platoon do their jobs exactly right.
Then on the eve of the invasion they tell you plans have changed and you will be now commanding the entire corps for the invasion...and btw you will have to cordinate all the naval and air forces and coridnate the activities of the war production civilians as well...

< Message edited by Fallschirmjager -- 7/2/2004 11:31:25 AM >

(in reply to The Gnome)
Post #: 3
RE: Holy **** this game is big... - 7/2/2004 6:30:23 PM   
ZOOMIE1980

Well being a PACWAR and then UV veteran, my approach, for now, is reading the manual looking for the differences and additions from those games. I'm pretty comfortable with basic interface. It's just that the sheer number of bases and units is quite overwhelming. I am finding out I am relying a great deal on those buttons at the top that list things a lot more than I did in UV. Clicking on the bases, one at a time, and evaluating what it there is waste of time, because after you've done that the 20th time you've long since forgotton what was at base 1. At least until you get your forces organized a bit. (Can't even begin to imagine the Japanese side....).

(in reply to The Gnome)
Post #: 4
RE: Holy **** this game is big... - 7/2/2004 6:32:06 PM   
Hammer2001

Now fight, fight, fight....I mean think think think. As in UV, this game requires to make a long run strategic plan and anticipate to enemy one. The dificult part comes with making specific operations. The number of units you may use and coordinate is amussing.

(in reply to The Gnome)
Post #: 5
RE: Holy **** this game is big... - 7/2/2004 6:36:47 PM   
ZOOMIE1980

The thing that's going to be hard for me to master is this troop "prep" thing. Never realy master Preparation Points in the old PACWAR game, and I feel I will have a hard time "getting it" in this one, too. Nothing more irritating that to meticulously plan a massive coordinated attack, only to have the landing force turn back or do much of nothing because they aren't properly "prepped".

(in reply to Hammer2001)
Post #: 6
RE: Holy **** this game is big... - 7/2/2004 6:39:54 PM   
Nikademus

the concept is simple.....set your objective, the closer you are to 100, the better prepared your troops will be for the amphibious landing (expressed in the level of disablement/casualties when they land)

The hard part is planning that far ahead! (unless one is Chess-matic Mogami)

(in reply to ZOOMIE1980)
Post #: 7
RE: Holy **** this game is big... - 7/2/2004 6:42:38 PM   
Grotius

Heh, I also feel overwhelmed, in a good way. I ran the Dec 7 turn in the grand campaign, and when control returned to me, I really had no clue what to do! I mean, I've got one or two CV TFs meandering around in the middle of the ocean while KB is two hexes away from Pearl Harbor. I've got all these transports and infantry and engineers and bases and industry and resources and planes, and did I mention all that stuff in China and Burma and Malaya and the DEI and ...

(in reply to ZOOMIE1980)
Post #: 8
RE: Holy **** this game is big... - 7/2/2004 6:48:09 PM   
aku_djinn

I was psyched about this game when I heard about it a long time ago. Just reading these posts takes the wind out of that enthusiasm. It's too bad they didn't make it more approachable. And it costs too much if you ask me. Why can't they make a PLAYABLE grand strategy game in the Pacific? I'll wait to hear what more people say before coughing up that kind of money.

Post #: 9
RE: Holy **** this game is big... - 7/2/2004 6:49:25 PM   
Ghostrider

I just downloaded this game last night, and as I picked up my jaw after watching what seemed like 10 min of AAR from the computer playing as the allies it was an incredible experiance. . Now I know hwta I will be playing on my laptop out in the desert to pass the time. Civilization has been efectively replaced. I have a new day of/pastime killer.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 10
RE: Holy **** this game is big... - 7/2/2004 6:53:25 PM   
TSCofield

I was up till 3am with it.

If I hadn't played UV so much I would have been totally lost.

Gary Grisby did the same thing here with WitP as he did when he went from Battle of Britain to Bombing the Reich (another favorate)-he took a fairly complicated game and expanded it to a huge scale.

It will literally take me two years to finish a game.

I will say this, I can't imagine getting more for your 70 bucks.

Thomas S. Cofield
Feature Editor, SimHQ.com
t.co0field@comcast.net (stopped the SimHq mail since I get nothing but spam)

Post #: 11
RE: Holy **** this game is big... - 7/2/2004 6:54:15 PM   
Grotius

Aku djinn, I didn't mean to say it's not playable. It's a blast! It's just a challenge to organize everything, as it should be.

(in reply to aku_djinn)
Post #: 12
RE: Holy **** this game is big... - 7/2/2004 7:08:19 PM   
aku_djinn

Thanks for feedback. I lived in Japan and did a graduate degree studying the Pacific war. I really WANT to get into this game. I did not have a good experience trying to get into Steel Titans. So I'm being cautious.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 13
RE: Holy **** this game is big... - 7/2/2004 7:18:07 PM   
doktor1957

Good Lord! Look at all the Chinese units! He-he, this is like the Russian Front on the battalion level!

Dave
San Diego

(in reply to aku_djinn)
Post #: 14
RE: Holy **** this game is big... - 7/2/2004 7:26:38 PM   
Nikademus

just dont let them get surrounded

(in reply to doktor1957)
Post #: 15
RE: Holy **** this game is big... - 7/2/2004 8:05:02 PM   
Grotius

Hmm, aku_djinn, I didn't play Steel Titans, so I can't compare the two. WiTP is admittedly a lot to handle. Did you play Uncommon Valor? If you liked that, you'll like this. If you hated that, you might not like WiTP either.

If you've done graduate work on the Pacific War, then you certainly know more about the conflict than I do. FWIW, though, I found that I actually learned a lot from playing UV and talking about it on these forums. For example, I'd never really understood the strategic significance of Port Morseby and even Guadalacanal until I played UV. I also learned a lot about the logistics of the war -- one area in which UV gets pretty high marks from everyone. Also, there are a lot of well-informed posters here, and I tend to pay attention to them more if I'm actually playing the game.

In WiTP, I hope to learn more about the Nimitz-Macarthur argument over the direction of the Allied counteroffensive; about the viability of launching the Allied offensive from Darwin as opposed to the Solomons or the central Pacific; about the comparative productive capacities of both sides; etc. Don't get me wrong, I play mostly to have fun. But I think it's cool that a byproduct of the fun is actual education (gasp)!

(in reply to aku_djinn)
Post #: 16
RE: Holy **** this game is big... - 7/2/2004 8:12:16 PM   
rroberson

It get's easier the more you play it. That first turn is an absolute mother , but once you set ops in motion you can grind out turns pretty quickly. Organization is your key.

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 17
RE: Holy **** this game is big... - 7/2/2004 8:45:34 PM   
John B

We most of us seem to have dived straight into the full campaign game. I've quickly concluded that for quite a while I'll simply be learning the system, and eventually, probably after playing through a couple of months or so, I'll be ready actually to start again with a chance of playing properly. So for now I'm leaving most areas under computer control, and just playing a couple under human control to give me a chance to get to grips with the syustem without being overwhelmed. Also I'm playing the Allies as the first Jap turns, plus all the production aspects, are something I won't fancy tackling for a long time. Only on Turn Three so far, so a bit arly to say whether this approach will work...

(in reply to rroberson)
Post #: 18
RE: Holy **** this game is big... - 7/2/2004 8:47:32 PM   
Steely Glint

I had the same thought when I first played the original. :)

What I learned from previous game of this ilk:

1. If you are organized then it will all work out. Plan your work, and then work your plans.

2. If you are sloppy then it will all come apart on you.

Post #: 19
RE: Holy **** this game is big... - 7/2/2004 8:48:08 PM   
Slick91

How does and ant eat an elephant?

One small bite at a time.

Slick
-----------------------------
"Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid."
-John Wayne

(in reply to John B)
Post #: 20
RE: Holy **** this game is big... - 7/2/2004 9:16:46 PM   
aku_djinn

I agree it's a simulation of real events. I will probably cave in soon enough.

If you want a good book on the subject check out Eagle Against the Sun.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 21
RE: Holy **** this game is big... - 7/2/2004 9:52:22 PM   
MCKClaudi

Just got finished reading the manual, phew! My poor HP930 is still smoking after the printout. Like many of us im grateful I got UV, very good training for the 'real' game. But there is just so much more.

< Message edited by MCKClaudi -- 7/2/2004 7:52:56 PM >

(in reply to aku_djinn)
Post #: 22
RE: Holy **** this game is big... - 7/2/2004 9:58:42 PM   
ZOOMIE1980

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steely Glint

I had the same thought when I first played the original. :)

What I learned from previous game of this ilk:

1. If you are organized then it will all work out. Plan your work, and then work your plans.

2. If you are sloppy then it will all come apart on you.

And plan on some false starts. If you are like me, you will get through the first 5, 10, 20 turns and say to yourself, "DAMN, I wish I knew about that XXXXXX when I started...or... I wish I had move all those YYY's to ZZZZ instead of UUUUU..." and then start all over. I'll probably play the first 20-30 turns of the main campaign a half-dozen times on each side before I get much further...all to just get comfortable doing everything.

(in reply to Steely Glint)
Post #: 23
RE: Holy **** this game is big... - 7/2/2004 10:42:56 PM   
kaleun

I planned on running the tutorial first (I did get to the Allied order phase, then CTD) so I started with the whole enchilada from the allied side. Fascinating.
Played historic first turn, with variable setup (which of course I did not know what it meant, since I did not real the manual) so it ended up with the infield variant; severe losses in Pearl, but KB got several hits on Zuikaku, and three other CVs. I did input orders for allies, but I'm not sure if I will continue this game, the losses for the AI might be too high in this case. On the other hand, might be interesting...

Oh the options.....(I hope my Mrs doesn't divorce me over this game)

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to ZOOMIE1980)
Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Holy **** this game is big... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI