Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Downloading issues

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> Downloading issues Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Downloading issues - 7/2/2004 4:25:55 AM   
wmiller159

I'm having problems downloading the file. I get to about 8% downloaded and IE stops responding. I have to shut IE down in task manager, then start over. Now, it won't even start the download. If I left click on begin download now I get this message= The number of downloads you have attempted indicates you are having difficulty receiving your file. Please contact Customer Care for assistance in receiving your product.

Message Number: 12

If I right click and choose save as I get = Internet Explorer was not able to open this internet site.

Any Ideas?
Post #: 1
RE: Downloading issues - 7/2/2004 4:45:44 AM   
Erik Rutins

wmiller,

What speed connection do you have? Which store are you purchasing through? We've been getting reports of very good download speed and stability overall. Thanks.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to wmiller159)
Post #: 2
RE: Downloading issues - 7/2/2004 4:51:10 AM   
wmiller159

DSL connection = 512k. Digitalriver is the store. It did download quickly until it stops responding

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 3
RE: Downloading issues - 7/2/2004 4:52:55 AM   
Mr.Frag

You do have enough drive space free right?

(in reply to wmiller159)
Post #: 4
RE: Downloading issues - 7/2/2004 4:55:32 AM   
wmiller159

Yes, about 17g worth. But that was a good question to ask. Enjoyed reading your AAR's, thanks for writing them

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 5
RE: Downloading issues - 7/2/2004 4:56:15 AM   
Mr.Frag

Think Erik needs to know what currency you picked ... that will tell hime which store it's coming from.

(in reply to wmiller159)
Post #: 6
RE: Downloading issues - 7/2/2004 4:58:08 AM   
tsimmonds

I'm having a similar problem. Download progressed reasonably fast (would have completed in about an hour), then hit a brick wall at around 34-35 MB downloaded. Since then chugging along at less than dialup speed. I have satellite service at around 250k, downloading from the NA server. This is the third attempt, first two tries, same story. Also, there is no picking up where it left off, it starts over from the beginning. At the present speed, my connection will timeout long before the download is complete.

< Message edited by irrelevant -- 7/1/2004 10:02:11 PM >

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to wmiller159)
Post #: 7
RE: Downloading issues - 7/2/2004 4:59:39 AM   
wmiller159

US= Digital River = $$$. I have seen other posts in the last 30 minutes that a few others are having issues like mine

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 8
RE: Downloading issues - 7/2/2004 5:00:03 AM   
Mr.Frag

Grba DAP or Getright if you are having problems with resuming. Only the later versions of Internet Explorer seem to have enough of a brain to resume.

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 9
RE: Downloading issues - 7/2/2004 5:03:41 AM   
wmiller159

I tried getright. Would get a 403 error = forbidden. Thanks again for the response

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 10
RE: Downloading issues - 7/2/2004 5:06:52 AM   
tsimmonds

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag

Grba DAP or Getright if you are having problems with resuming. Only the later versions of Internet Explorer seem to have enough of a brain to resume.

Yeah, I've seen that mentioned a couple of times now. If only I knew what that was and how to use it....

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 11
RE: Downloading issues - 7/2/2004 5:10:50 AM   
wmiller159

Mine failed at the same spot. However, I saw no evidence that the download was progressing after that point.

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 12
RE: Downloading issues - 7/2/2004 5:17:38 AM   
tsimmonds

That was interesting; I just got 6 or 7 megs in a quick burst, then it's right back to chugging along at around 5 KB/Sec....

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to wmiller159)
Post #: 13
RE: Downloading issues - 7/2/2004 5:26:40 AM   
wmiller159

quote:

ORIGINAL: irrelevant

That was interesting; I just got 6 or 7 megs in a quick burst, then it's right back to chugging along at around 5 KB/Sec....

Don't stop the download. Evidentally. if you have too many download attempts, the site will stop responding. That's my current situation

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 14
RE: Downloading issues - 7/2/2004 5:26:40 AM   
Erik Rutins

Irrelevant,

quote:

Satellite connections in general are notorious for throttling back during large downloads - have you seen that in the past? I have one as well and I know I have. Not sure what's going on with folks with DSL connections. I continue to see reports of others downloading without a problem. I will have Dave run a test download and see if it pauses or slows down for him as well.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 15
RE: Downloading issues - 7/2/2004 5:29:30 AM   
wmiller159

quote:

Evidentally. if you have too many download attempts, the site will stop responding. That's my current situation

Erik,

Is this accurate?

Post #: 16
RE: Downloading issues - 7/2/2004 5:31:14 AM   
Erik Rutins

Not as far as I know. The bandwidth and connections available there are enormous - I'd be surprised if we're more than a drop in the bucket for them.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to wmiller159)
Post #: 17
RE: Downloading issues - 7/2/2004 5:51:20 AM   
wmiller159

Erik,

At least one other person is getting the error 12 message

Post #: 18
RE: Downloading issues - 7/2/2004 5:53:58 AM   
tsimmonds

quote:

Satellite connections in general are notorious for throttling back during large downloads - have you seen that in the past?

No, I've never had a problem like this with any downloads before, although I've never tried to download any file this large. The satellite service is squirrelly to be sure, but this doesn't feel like a satellite problem. The typical satellite problem is total loss of service. But the download is progressing (3.28KB/Sec). Browsing seems somewhat slow though...I'm wondering whether this is some kind of browser setting issue.

Fear the kitten!

Post #: 19
RE: Downloading issues - 7/2/2004 12:21:43 PM   
tsimmonds

Seven hours later, still crawling along at 5.34 KB/Sec, 123 MB of 466 MB copied, estimated time left: 19 hours 30 minutes. I'm amazed it hasn't timed out; that's prolly coming up in 18 hours or so....whatever the problem is, it isn't the satellite connection.

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 20
RE: Downloading issues - 7/2/2004 12:41:59 PM   
wmiller159

quote:

ORIGINAL: wmiller159

I'm having problems downloading the file. I get to about 8% downloaded and IE stops responding. I have to shut IE down in task manager, then start over. Now, it won't even start the download. If I left click on begin download now I get this message= The number of downloads you have attempted indicates you are having difficulty receiving your file. Please contact Customer Care for assistance in receiving your product.

Message Number: 12

If I right click and choose save as I get = Internet Explorer was not able to open this internet site.

Any Ideas?

I still have the same issue. Please help

(in reply to wmiller159)
Post #: 21
RE: Downloading issues - 7/2/2004 2:01:05 PM   
RevRick

Had an inspirational idea when I woke up at 5:00 AM this morning. Called the Matrix Customer Support. The nice young man (GAD!, I sound like an old lady) reset the download message, and TOLD ME TO TURN MY FIREWALL OFF! It then took three clicks, and 24 minutes, and - Great Googledy Moogley - it is here! With apologies to the Kansas City Chefs. Have a breakfast meeting with a young man who wants to talk about a call to ministry, and have to read for a sermon, so I won't play for a while. But, it's on this system. Now, to transfer it to my gaming (as in not used for everything else in the world) computer when I get that unpacked.

"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

(in reply to wmiller159)
Post #: 22
RE: Downloading issues - 7/2/2004 2:11:55 PM   
wmiller159

quote:

ORIGINAL: RevRick

Had an inspirational idea when I woke up at 5:00 AM this morning. Called the Matrix Customer Support. The nice young man (GAD!, I sound like an old lady) reset the download message, and TOLD ME TO TURN MY FIREWALL OFF! It then took three clicks, and 24 minutes, and - Great Googledy Moogley - it is here! With apologies to the Kansas City Chefs. Have a breakfast meeting with a young man who wants to talk about a call to ministry, and have to read for a sermon, so I won't play for a while. But, it's on this system. Now, to transfer it to my gaming (as in not used for everything else in the world) computer when I get that unpacked.

Whats the phone number?

(in reply to RevRick)
Post #: 23
RE: Downloading issues - 7/2/2004 5:16:18 PM   
ZOOMIE1980

Everyone having hangups using the basic IE downloader is because the servers, for whatever reason, are causing timeouts in IE. Easily solved by using a smart download manager. You will still get pauses in the download, but when it resumes it will start where it left off. I used GetRight. It paused four times from the US Store, but I eventually got it.

Silver Bullet for downloading.....Use a download manager.

(in reply to wmiller159)
Post #: 24
RE: Downloading issues - 7/2/2004 6:10:34 PM   
wmiller159

quote:

ORIGINAL: ZOOMIE1980

Everyone having hangups using the basic IE downloader is because the servers, for whatever reason, are causing timeouts in IE. Easily solved by using a smart download manager. You will still get pauses in the download, but when it resumes it will start where it left off. I used GetRight. It paused four times from the US Store, but I eventually got it.

I tried get right, but the server wouldn't respond

Silver Bullet for downloading.....Use a download manager.

(in reply to ZOOMIE1980)
Post #: 25
RE: Downloading issues - 7/2/2004 6:14:46 PM   
Erik Rutins

wmilller,

Do you have a firewall running or are you connecting through a proxy server or router? Getright should work with the servers. You can also try Download Accelerator http://www.speedbit.com/ to see if that helps.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to wmiller159)
Post #: 26
RE: Downloading issues - 7/2/2004 6:16:40 PM   
Erik Rutins

Irrelevant,

quote:

Seven hours later, still crawling along at 5.34 KB/Sec, 123 MB of 466 MB copied, estimated time left: 19 hours 30 minutes. I'm amazed it hasn't timed out; that's prolly coming up in 18 hours or so....whatever the problem is, it isn't the satellite connection.

This is actually typical for a satellite connection. If you haven't downloaded large files, you wouldn't have run into it. They all throttle back past a certain point. While they are stable connections, they are not great for downloading large files. If you call your satellite internet provider, they can confirm this for you. I hope your download is still going well.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 27
RE: Downloading issues - 7/2/2004 6:45:56 PM   
tsimmonds

quote:

I hope your download is still going well.

I hope so too, I'll find out when I get home from work....

Fear the kitten!

Post #: 28
RE: Downloading issues - 7/2/2004 10:29:45 PM   
wmiller159

I'm using Zone Alarm firewall and a linksys 4 port router. i'm trying the download with the firewall turned off to see how it goes. I had to call customer support to reset my download status. They cut you off after a certain number of failed attempts. If I get past 10%, that will be a m,ilestone

Post #: 29
RE: Downloading issues - 7/2/2004 11:32:30 PM   
Duane1972

Downloading from the company LAN and I'm maxed out at 22.2 KB/sec. Could it be the firewall at work?

(in reply to wmiller159)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> Downloading issues Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI