Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Multiplayer news from lead developer

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Ancients] >> Tin Soldiers: Alexander the Great >> Multiplayer news from lead developer Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Multiplayer news from lead developer - 7/3/2004 11:34:03 PM   
koiosworks

Our lead developer sent out this email to our internal team this week. He got his behind kicked by one of the 3-D artist

Now we can focus on PBM next....

Hey all,
>
> Today was the first day Tin Soldiers went multiplayer. Joel defended
> Egypt
> in a long difficult battle against my Macedonian army. The Egyptians ran
> up
> to meet Alexander at the gate with all their arrows, swords, and shoes.
> Alexander broke through the lines of the Egyptians, scattering them in
> disarray. Alexander's army ran for the heart of the city. There they
> looted the markets, and stole women. Unfortunately Alexander was wounded
> on
> the battlefield. Morale was low while the Macedonians continued on.
> Eventually the battle was over, and the Macedonian side suffered a Minor
> Defeat.
>
> Have a happy 4th!
>
>
> Marshall Belew
>
> Lead Developer
Post #: 1
RE: Multiplayer news from lead developer - 7/4/2004 4:05:15 AM   
Hertston

Shoes ?

Glad to see things are coming along nicely, and that PBEM is now planned. I'm particularly looking forward to seeing how "stealing women" is implemented ! I always thought omitting rules for that in WRG 7th was a real realism killer..

< Message edited by Hertston -- 7/4/2004 2:06:14 AM >

(in reply to koiosworks)
Post #: 2
RE: Multiplayer news from lead developer - 7/4/2004 3:50:05 PM   
Didz

Yes! Somebody listens

Didz
Fortis balore et armis

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 3
RE: Multiplayer news from lead developer - 7/4/2004 9:03:25 PM   
Erik Rutins

Exciting news!

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Didz)
Post #: 4
RE: Multiplayer news from lead developer - 7/5/2004 11:40:24 PM   
mbelew

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

Shoes ?

I borrowed a funny quote from Baghdad Bob:
“We will welcome them with bullets and shoes.”

Evidently being shown the underside of a shoe is a great insult in the middle east. Did anyone see Saddam's statue getting shoes smeared across his face? I digress....

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 5
RE: Multiplayer news from lead developer - 7/6/2004 11:40:08 PM   
Hertston

You learn something every day....

(in reply to mbelew)
Post #: 6
RE: Multiplayer news from lead developer - 9/24/2004 11:15:16 PM   
mbelew

Well, it happened again. We were play balancing Gaugamela for multiplayer. We played 3 games.

Game 1:

Joel as Alexander
Marshall as Persia

Joel's tactic was to crowd around the flag and form a wall of cavalry around the parameter.
The tactic worked like mad, the Persians fell like flies.

Major Victory for Alexander

Game 2:

Marshall as Alexander
Joel as Persia

My tactic was similar to Joel’s (why change something that works?). Joel's tactic was to divert my attention north while his main forces attack from the south. He was able to sneak a few units near the flag, but never enough to take it. The Persians were crushed easily.

Major Victory Alexander

At this point, I was very concerned the battle is extremely weighted in Alex's favor. Joel insisted there was a way to win. The reasoning: the point system makes it Alexander's responsibility to collect the points. The Persians actually start off winning, all they have to do is sit there and do nothing for 30 turns and claim a major victory.

We decided to put his theory to the test. I still sensed Joel had something else up his sleeve.

Game 3:

Marshall as Alexander
Joel as Persia

My tactic was the same, claim the flag at the top, then go for the second flag with the entire might of Alexander's army. You take the flag at turn 15. If he hadn't made any moves by turn 13, I was going to leave a small garrison behind to take it by 15. My army will be mobilized and ready for some more Persian slaughter at the second flag.

Joel had other plans. While most of his forces did stick to defending the second flag objective, he tried to sneak cavalry all the way around the board to attack my supply line from the rear. Lucky I had a scout that caught him in the act. I sent some cavalry units to deal with these sneaks. It took a long time to deal with them since they were so many. I did have the terrain advantage, and I took most of them out.

Just as I was finishing up, the alert popped up telling me I had successfully protected the supply line. However, I wanted to move my troops out by turn 13! The diversion had cost me 2 precious turns.

I moved out immediately. My troops were in a giant box formation. It's not easy to move an entire army this way. I thought moving east, then face south, then move south would be the best way. Going southeast would cause a lot of face changing during a turn, and I was afraid my formation would be compromised.

As I was moving east, I noticed Joel had stashed a bunch of cavalry to the north. They were bearing down on my rear. I didn't have the time to deal with them. It was already around turn 20. I sent just a few cavalry to hopefully stall them. My army continued on its course.

The battle of the flag was probably the best I have ever seen of the Persians. They were around 5 files by 3 ranks deep. The only way I could win this one was to take the flag. The morale meter was nowhere close to breaking point. My Victory Points were hovering at Minor Defeat.

Alexander worked his way through the Persians. All I had to do was kick them off the flag, and take it myself. It was a chess game. If I made the wrong decision anywhere, I wouldn't be able to take the flag. If I took the flag, I won. If not, I lose.

Turn 30
The very last turn, everyone in the office was crowded around Joel's and my computers. Everyone seemed to have their opinions as to which units would be pushed out of the flag area, where I should attack, and where I should move. Everything had to execute perfectly.

As Alexander's army attacked, Persians were being routed and pushed in exactly the right places. For every push, I was yelling out loud in triumph. I was going to make it! Except I didn't quite get there. One of my crucial flag takers was routed, and sent backwards outside of the flag area. It was the last nail in the coffin. All was lost. Game over.

Minor Victory Persia

This is definitely one of the greatest rounds I have had yet. Next time, I’ll take pictures.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 7
RE: Multiplayer news from lead developer - 10/12/2004 11:25:48 PM   
toddtreadway

Since I have yet to play multiplayer, let me ask a few questions:

1) Are orders given simultaneously?
2) Is there a timer option?
3) Is there a matchmaking service, such as Battle.net, or something? Or do we have to set up TCP/IP games manually?
4) It seems like this game would make a great email game. What would be better is if there was a central server that each player would send their turns into, such as that used by Laser Squad Nemesis (email XCOM).

Thanks!

(in reply to mbelew)
Post #: 8
RE: Multiplayer news from lead developer - 10/12/2004 11:43:42 PM   
Deride

quote:

ORIGINAL: toddtreadway
1) Are orders given simultaneously?

Yes.

quote:

2) Is there a timer option?

Users are limited to 10 minutes to give all of their commands. This is not currently configurable.

quote:

3) Is there a matchmaking service, such as Battle.net, or something? Or do we have to set up TCP/IP games manually?

The game supports command line launching which is compatible with Battle.net and GameSpy Arcade. However, we have not currently implemented single launch capabilities with these service providers. You can use Battle.net to find an opponent and copy-&-paste their IP into the game.

quote:

4) It seems like this game would make a great email game. What would be better is if there was a central server that each player would send their turns into, such as that used by Laser Squad Nemesis (email XCOM).

Again, we do not currently support PBEM. This decision was a joint decision between Koios Works, Matrix and our beta testers. If the feature is asked for by a significant number of gamers, we are willing to reconsider this decision.

Deride

(in reply to toddtreadway)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Ancients] >> Tin Soldiers: Alexander the Great >> Multiplayer news from lead developer Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI