Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Does Arty work vs. mines?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Does Arty work vs. mines? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Does Arty work vs. mines? - 12/31/2001 11:13:00 AM   
BAR

Hi all - waiting on delivery of my three MC's on Wed. and playing some battles interim, and got to wondering when on the assault and enemy has laid mines, can you destroy mines with arty as in real life? I have scouts move up to area and they detect mines, back them off, and lay a mutha of a barrage of 150mm's and above and notice that the mine icon becomes distorted in the hex, but mines are still there after 2 turns of pounding. If this is not possible with the SP engine, has anyone made plans to incorporate it into CL? This was a definite tactic for larger size shells as the concussion would detonate most mines. May not clear entire hex, I understand, but should greatly reduce the number left operational. Hope we all have a safe and Happy New Year!

Post #: 1
- 12/31/2001 11:44:00 AM   
Warrior

Oh yeah, heavy arty will destroy some mines, and also make others visible. Especially helpful when doing an amphibious assault.

Retreat is NOT an option.

(in reply to BAR)
Post #: 2
- 12/31/2001 1:29:00 PM   
Redleg

The bigger the boom, the more damage it does to mines. Even big bore direct-fire used to work - I say "used to" because it has been a version or two since I tried it.

(in reply to BAR)
Post #: 3
- 12/31/2001 8:57:00 PM   
john g

quote:

Originally posted by Redleg:
The bigger the boom, the more damage it does to mines. Even big bore direct-fire used to work - I say "used to" because it has been a version or two since I tried it.
Even little bore weapons work, I tested all the way down to the 20mm gun on the PZIIc, it took out mines though it took several shots to do it. The last time I tested, 81mm mortars were the most cost effective removers, they took out roughly one mine factor for every direct fire shot at the hex. Ob arty will do it as well just not as cheaply. Arty fire will also remove DT (obtstacles), and though untested I would assume they remove wire as well. If you fired only twice at the hex, you may have removed some mines just not all of them. Remember if there are just mines in the hex there can be up to 50 points of mines, that can take upwards of 25-75 shots from ob arty to take out, If you use med mortars (81mm) it is more like 55-60 rounds of fire to remove them. Before you take on an opponent who deploys mines (like me) be sure to test just how much firepower or manpower it takes to remove mines, An 81mm mortar will remove mines just about as fast as an engineer unit, but without being in front of the mines where they can be shot at.
thanks, John.

(in reply to BAR)
Post #: 4
- 12/31/2001 10:26:00 PM   
robot

In doing amphip with US forces against frennch. French had laid mines all along the shore. After picking my landing zone i pounded the heck out of it with shells. I used big med and small ships to do it. held my force off shore while this went on. I think for 4 turns was all it took to blast a zone clear on the beach. Then sent my engineers in to expand the path while i brought in the main force. worked fine for me.

Robots wear armor for skin.Grunts wear skin for armor.

(in reply to BAR)
Post #: 5
- 1/1/2002 1:04:00 PM   
BAR

Thanks for the info all - probably not giving enought time for the arty to work it's magic. Will try for more patience in the future.

(in reply to BAR)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Does Arty work vs. mines? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI