Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How WitP runs in XP?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> How WitP runs in XP? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How WitP runs in XP? - 7/5/2004 11:55:33 AM   
Hammer2001

My very best surprise with this game is that my computer runs it very swift and without any incidence. I had played UV in the same and other computers since month now, it runs quite well but with some delay in opening info windows or selecting units/TFs. With the huge size of WitP I was not sure if I would become tired of those little problem. With the game on hands I am very pleased wiyh this software quality
Post #: 1
RE: How WitP runs in XP? - 7/5/2004 12:21:35 PM   
Grouchy

To be honest I'm a little annoyed by the delay/stuttering while running WitP, my mouse aiming is off because off it. IIRC the animations in UV runned more smoothly also.
Didn't expect it with my top of the line system.

< Message edited by Grouchy -- 7/5/2004 11:22:03 AM >

(in reply to Hammer2001)
Post #: 2
RE: How WitP runs in XP? - 7/5/2004 12:23:21 PM   
freeboy

running a p4 at 1.5/ 512 mem lots of hd space and a new ati card
runs great.. really no problems

(in reply to Grouchy)
Post #: 3
RE: How WitP runs in XP? - 7/5/2004 12:28:16 PM   
Caltone

Running great for me too in XP. I've got a fast processor and nice video card, but I'm sure its the 1GB of memory that's really making a difference.

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 4
RE: How WitP runs in XP? - 7/5/2004 12:31:44 PM   
Hard Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grouchy

To be honest I'm a little annoyed by the delay/stuttering while running WitP, my mouse aiming is off because off it. IIRC the animations in UV runned more smoothly also.

not to be dumb, are you sure you don't have something running in the background ?

I have not seen any stuttering or delays ? (I have some hassles with my mouse going to sleep, but that is normal for me, dog eat my good mouse, and got a cheap replacement, and it falls asleep)

only hassle I really see in my game, is closeing the box where you tell the TF what kind of mission it should be (IE, change a Combat mission to a Bombardment mission) click on the little check, and sometimes it don't get hit, you get the sound, but box stays open, I just tend to double click it now, to make sure I hit it

HARD_Sarge
hmm, on a side note, you say you got a top of the line system, how much mem ?, even some of the new ones seem to be short on needed mem ??

2.4 gig, P-4, 128 mag TNT 4 Vid card, 1 Gig of Ram

(in reply to Grouchy)
Post #: 5
RE: How WitP runs in XP? - 7/5/2004 12:58:29 PM   
Grouchy

Have tried to turn off thingies in the background but since it didn'rt make any diffeence I'm now running things now in the background.

Suspect it is/was partial sound related, but of course not sure. Need to experience some more.

3400+ AMD, Ti 4200 or X800 pro, Neo platinum MB (Realtek AC97 onboard), 1GB Ram.

< Message edited by Grouchy -- 7/5/2004 1:10:49 PM >

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 6
RE: How WitP runs in XP? - 7/5/2004 1:03:57 PM   
2Stepper

quote:

Actually Grouchy there's a fix for that. I've got a workhorse of a system with XP here also. Game runs like a champ. Though initially it was zooming around the map bigtime. I was a little annoyed by this. Theres a couple of delay toggles in the preferences when you start the game that have to be adjusted. Essentially you have to slow your system down some to get it running the game effectively. Just experiment with it some and you'll be set. Lord knows I'm a happy camper...

Only thing now I want to do yet is turn off some of the annoying dialoge messages that happen as the action gets going each turn. I know there's a lot to do, but wading through all the "reading tfs, assigning missions... yaddiyaddi-ya" gets old. LOL!! Couldn't be happier with the game though cause like you say it runs like a champ in XP

"Send in the Infantry. Tanks cost money... the dead cost nothing..." :)

(in reply to Grouchy)
Post #: 7
RE: How WitP runs in XP? - 7/5/2004 2:31:24 PM   
Castelnau

Hi all,

I only seem to have one complaint as far as lag..... When I choose to "view" the combat reports as they occur - as the battle progresses (more rounds of combat) the explosions and sounds start slowing down even though the delay is set to 1 second. Any one else observe this?

"Retreat? Hell, we just got here"
-Captain Lloyd Williams

(in reply to Hammer2001)
Post #: 8
RE: How WitP runs in XP? - 7/5/2004 3:13:41 PM   
The Gnome

By and large I'm extremely happy with the performance save two areas: Clicking 'Done' when forming a TF causes a significant delay so that forming a series of TFs quickly is a major pain, and then clicking destination or choose home base causes the same delay.

Other than that I'm very pleased with the performance.

(in reply to Castelnau)
Post #: 9
RE: How WitP runs in XP? - 7/5/2004 3:33:08 PM   
hithere

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hard Sarge

quote:

not to be dumb, are you sure you don't have something running in the background ?

I have not seen any stuttering or delays ? (I have some hassles with my mouse going to sleep, but that is normal for me, dog eat my good mouse, and got a cheap replacement, and it falls asleep)

only hassle I really see in my game, is closeing the box where you tell the TF what kind of mission it should be (IE, change a Combat mission to a Bombardment mission) click on the little check, and sometimes it don't get hit, you get the sound, but box stays open, I just tend to double click it now, to make sure I hit it

HARD_Sarge
hmm, on a side note, you say you got a top of the line system, how much mem ?, even some of the new ones seem to be short on needed mem ??

2.4 gig, P-4, 128 mag TNT 4 Vid card, 1 Gig of Ram

quote:

Matrix Elite

hey all, I've seen this too...and also when I change to a attack for land units. evertything else runs ok....one thing i did notice though...during naval combat i thought it was slowing down but after really looking at it it seems to be normal but the shell "splash" animation seems alittle choppy. I do run zonealarm and norton anti-virus in the background but notice no change when i disable them. also i can run Far Cry and some other pretty graphic and CPU intensive games fine with these on. (well, it does slow down in Far Cry when i am in a cave or something.
2 Ghz intel
256 Meg video
1 G ram

Quote from one of my drill sergeants, "remember, except for the extreme heat, intense radiation, and powerful blast wave, a nuclear explosion is just like any other explosion"

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 10
RE: How WitP runs in XP? - 7/5/2004 4:06:28 PM   
Grotius

It's running smoothly for me as well. Saving games seems to take longer than it did in UV, even in small scenarios, but that's not a big deal.

(in reply to hithere)
Post #: 11
RE: How WitP runs in XP? - 7/5/2004 4:39:33 PM   
Titanwarrior89

Running XP, the game has ran perfect no problems what so ever. In fact it loads faster than UV does. But i don't have much running in the back ground and 2 Gigs of ram mem.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Hammer2001

My very best surprise with this game is that my computer runs it very swift and without any incidence. I had played UV in the same and other computers since month now, it runs quite well but with some delay in opening info windows or selecting units/TFs. With the huge size of WitP I was not sure if I would become tired of those little problem. With the game on hands I am very pleased wiyh this software quality

(in reply to Hammer2001)
Post #: 12
RE: How WitP runs in XP? - 7/5/2004 4:59:21 PM   
Rocco

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Gnome

By and large I'm extremely happy with the performance save two areas: Clicking 'Done' when forming a TF causes a significant delay so that forming a series of TFs quickly is a major pain, and then clicking destination or choose home base causes the same delay.

Other than that I'm very pleased with the performance.

I have that same problem, it is annoying as all hell. It can take forever on the first turn sending out all those TF's. I also noticed the surface combat action slow down after several rounds in big battles, but if I end that battle and another one pops up it goes back to cheetah speed.

I love the game but some area of performance could possibly use some finishing touches, I'm off to update drivers to see if this helps.

Oh, system: AMD 1.7 GHZ Athlon, 1 gig RAM, GeForce 3 ti 500, Soundblaster live 5.1, plenty of HD space

Rocco

(in reply to The Gnome)
Post #: 13
RE: How WitP runs in XP? - 7/5/2004 5:01:07 PM   
Mr.Frag

Memry doesn't help, cpu speed is everything in this game. Having a slower box is going to make you feel the sorts and shuffles.

(in reply to Rocco)
Post #: 14
RE: How WitP runs in XP? - 7/5/2004 5:25:35 PM   
Rocco

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag

Memry doesn't help, cpu speed is everything in this game. Having a slower box is going to make you feel the sorts and shuffles.

What would be a good speed processor to run without the pauses? I thought 1.7 Ghz Athlon would be plenty, but I believe I can upgrade it to as much as 2.2 or so and would be willing to fork out the cash to do it but would it be worth it, would the trouble go away?

Thanks

Rocco

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 15
RE: How WitP runs in XP? - 7/5/2004 5:40:50 PM   
Point Luck

One machine running the game is a

P-4
1.00Ghz
256 Ram
XP - Pro
AMD Processor

Games runs perfect, No Complaints.

I do shut off Video and Sound, Not necessary to enjoy the game,

Message delay needs to set to user preferences

(in reply to Rocco)
Post #: 16
RE: How WitP runs in XP? - 7/5/2004 5:46:04 PM   
Rocco

quote:

ORIGINAL: Point Luck

One machine running the game is a

P-4
1.00Ghz
256 Ram
XP - Pro
AMD Processor

Games runs perfect, No Complaints.

I do shut off Video and Sound, Not necessary to enjoy the game,

Message delay needs to set to user preferences

Do you mean that when you click set TF destination button that it delays because the message delay is set to, say, 1.5 seconds? That would and would not make sense at the same time. It makes sense because it delays, but does not make sense because there is no message displayed.

Thanks

Rocco

(in reply to Point Luck)
Post #: 17
RE: How WitP runs in XP? - 7/5/2004 6:28:28 PM   
Point Luck

quote:

TF destination button that it delays because the message delay is set to, say, 1.5 seconds?

No, What I meant was that some things need to be tweaked to your comfort level.

The delay you describe I couldn't answer. I haven't seen this problem, But there could be something running in the back ground - Computers are great for multi-tasking but not so great at multi-tasking and playing games. I always shut off everything but windows when I gaming

(in reply to Rocco)
Post #: 18
RE: How WitP runs in XP? - 7/5/2004 6:30:39 PM   
Ghostrider

Since my main computer is currently KIA, I am running WITP on a laptop....Which is a 1.2 Gig/640 MB Ram/8 Meg Vid Card , and I have not had any trouble playing WITP with XP Pro as my OS. Now granted I am just happy to be able to play WITP at this point may have alot to do with it!

(in reply to Point Luck)
Post #: 19
RE: How WitP runs in XP? - 7/6/2004 12:56:19 AM   
Charles2222

quote:

ORIGINAL: 2Stepper

quote:

Actually Grouchy there's a fix for that. I've got a workhorse of a system with XP here also. Game runs like a champ. Though initially it was zooming around the map bigtime. I was a little annoyed by this. Theres a couple of delay toggles in the preferences when you start the game that have to be adjusted. Essentially you have to slow your system down some to get it running the game effectively. Just experiment with it some and you'll be set. Lord knows I'm a happy camper...

Only thing now I want to do yet is turn off some of the annoying dialoge messages that happen as the action gets going each turn. I know there's a lot to do, but wading through all the "reading tfs, assigning missions... yaddiyaddi-ya" gets old. LOL!! Couldn't be happier with the game though cause like you say it runs like a champ in XP

If there is a way to totally knock out all the messages, you probably wouldn't want it, due to some desirable things it might take out (better to have .01 delay). There's a file somewhere which I can't recall, which lists all that mumbo-jumbo and it could make a difference if there's some little something crucial, like the location of a briefly spotted submarine at night.

I'm not sure it's the same file or not, but I have seen a file that recorded some of the intelligence findings, in which one of the things mentioned was that an armored force (it named it) was preparing an attack on a specific city (wow!).

(in reply to 2Stepper)
Post #: 20
RE: How WitP runs in XP? - 7/6/2004 1:32:01 AM   
Grouchy

Well, I dumped the Ti 4200, and toyed with the game; delays are gone now
Somehow I think in an earlier stadium I overlooked the agperture settings.

(in reply to Charles2222)
Post #: 21
RE: How WitP runs in XP? - 7/6/2004 1:37:17 AM   
2Stepper

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rocco

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag

What would be a good speed processor to run without the pauses? I thought 1.7 Ghz Athlon would be plenty, but I believe I can upgrade it to as much as 2.2 or so and would be willing to fork out the cash to do it but would it be worth it, would the trouble go away?

Thanks

Rocco

I'm running a 2.0ghtz AMD Athlon 64/3000 chip. Bugger flys... Yet I STILL Get some delays... Course I'm still playing with delay settings to make them idea. Biggest delay I had to lengthen was the map scroll. Was so fast at first it was almost unplayable. LOL!

"Send in the Infantry. Tanks cost money... the dead cost nothing..." :)

(in reply to Rocco)
Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> How WitP runs in XP? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI