Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

AI and landing troops

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> AI and landing troops Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
AI and landing troops - 1/1/2002 2:06:00 AM   
chiphart

I'm working on a scen where I have a small fleet of troop-carrying boats that need to ferry up a river for a ways and drop their loads off in a small cove. However, my attempts to get them to do anything but land troops the moment the troops are near enough to land have been futile. That is, as soon as the ships are close enough to land...they do. I've played around with waypoints, etc., but that hasn't helped. I've tried setting the boarded troops' destination to the same as the boats'. No luck. Anyone? Am I missing something obvious? Do I need to retry something? I love playing with boats in SPWaw :-)

Chip
Post #: 1
- 1/1/2002 2:17:00 AM   
tracer

I'm pretty sure that if a LC is adjacent to a shallow water hex it will move into it (and of course unload) vs moving to a deep water hex.

Jim NSB

(in reply to chiphart)
Post #: 2
- 1/1/2002 2:22:00 AM   
Don Doom

Hi Chiphart
Depending on how wide your river is if 3-4 hexes try and make all the hexes deep water until where you want them to land, it works in threoy but have not tryed it myself.
Any thoughs Master Wild Bill?

don

Doom
Vet of the Russian General Winter
For death is only the begining

(in reply to chiphart)
Post #: 3
- 1/2/2002 9:37:00 PM   
chiphart

Unfortunately, the design of the scenario is such that a 3-hex-wide river would yuck it up a little. I'll either abandon the attempt to make both sides playable by the computer or wreck the map some, I dunno'. Thanks for the help!

Chip

(in reply to chiphart)
Post #: 4
- 1/2/2002 11:46:00 PM   
Redleg

My experience has been that landing craft/boats are very difficult to control in the manner you describe. You might be able to purchase separate landing craft as regular units and load your troops on those and have a bit more luck. Also, if your river was created on the map using deep water hexes as opposed to converting a stream to a wide river, you may gain some additional AI control over the boats.

(in reply to chiphart)
Post #: 5
- 1/3/2002 12:09:00 AM   
Larry Holt

I am not sure how important the ferrying upstream issue is but if it is not, you could set a reinforcement hex at the desired landing spot then have your "landing" troops appear there as reinforcements simulating that they had landed there.

Never take counsel of your fears.

(in reply to chiphart)
Post #: 6
- 1/3/2002 12:11:00 AM   
chiphart

That's a good point, but the idea behind this aspect of the scen is that the patrol boats and accompanying ferries actually have to MAKE it upstream in the first place. Oh well. Thanks.

Chip

(in reply to chiphart)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> AI and landing troops Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI