Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Entrenching

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Entrenching Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Entrenching - 1/2/2002 9:54:00 PM   
K G von Martinez

Is there a way to entrench only a part of your troops if you start a campaign game? Of course you can entrench all of them, but even in a defend situation I don't believe it's realistic if all of your troops are entrenched. And for snipers, ambushes and the like you don't want to give their positions away by showing entrenchments.

Post #: 1
- 1/2/2002 11:01:00 PM   
Resisti

According my experience the reply is: NO You can entrench troops only if you're running a defend(not delay) mission, but all or none. Of course while designing a scenario, you can entrench only the troops you want....

Federico "Resisti" Doveri

(in reply to K G von Martinez)
Post #: 2
- 1/2/2002 11:16:00 PM   
tracer

Can you choose to *not* entrench at all if you're the defender? I'm the defender in a current PBEM game and would prefer my troops 'in cover' instead of entrenched; I thought about setting the game up as a 'delay' but its a beach assault which only works if 'assault' is selected. The only solution I found is to set up my units a couple hexes away and then move them to their positions on turn-1. Seems to me that if entrenchments are visible to the enemy they should at least have an armor value like fortifications do....ideally they shouldn't be visible at all.

Jim NSB

Post #: 3
- 1/2/2002 11:41:00 PM   
Larry Holt

If you have a battle and want to entrench only some units, have the units that you don't want entrenched somewhere other than where you want them, hit the entrench all button, then move the units that you don't want to be entrenched and they won't be anymore. If you are using the editor, you can choose which ones you want to entrench. You cannot effect the "in cover" status. It only comes up in some random manner when the computer is ready to give it to you.

Never take counsel of your fears.

Post #: 4
- 1/2/2002 11:41:00 PM   
Resisti

quote:

Originally posted by tracer:
Can you choose to *not* entrench at all if you're the defender?

Seems to me that if entrenchments are visible to the enemy they should at least have an armor value like fortifications do....ideally they shouldn't be visible at all.

You can decide to have your troops entrenched or not by clicking on the "entrench all units" button during yr deploy phase(only if you're defending,remember); so reply to yr first question is: YES As for the second statement, i think entrenchments are NOT visible by yr enemy when the game starts; not 100% sure on this.

Federico "Resisti" Doveri

Post #: 5
- 1/3/2002 2:02:00 AM   
tracer

quote:

Originally posted by Larry Holt:
If you have a battle and want to entrench only some units, have the units that you don't want entrenched somewhere other than where you want them, hit the entrench all button, then move the units that you don't want to be entrenched and they won't be anymore. If you are using the editor, you can choose which ones you want to entrench. You cannot effect the "in cover" status. It only comes up in some random manner when the computer is ready to give it to you.
Oh yeah, forgot that units can only entrench one time. This of course will leave entrenched hexes, but if they're far to the rear they won't affect the battle. And by 'in cover' I just meant 'not entrenched'...I understand that cover must be developed, though units that are deployed with their stance set as 'defend' usually are in cover right away. Thanks.

Jim NSB

Post #: 6
- 1/3/2002 2:31:00 AM   
tracer

quote:

Originally posted by Resisti:
You can decide to have your troops entrenched or not by clicking on the "entrench all units" button during yr deploy phase(only if you're defending,remember); so reply to yr first question is: YES As for the second statement, i think entrenchments are NOT visible by yr enemy when the game starts; not 100% sure on this.
In a 'defend' battle my units (most of them anyway) always show up entrenched, and I've never hit the 'entrench' button. The 'entrench' button simply makes the fortified hexes appear during deployment, though it does also ensure that 100% of units entrench. I *wish* this button acted as an on/off toggle! And while entrenchments and entrenched units are not visible at the start, fortified hexes can be spotted long before the units in them. This gives your opponent a good idea where to drop smoke/arty and prevents him from stumbling into any traps. I *think* this can be changed if the 'size' of fortified hexes is set to zero. And Larry's remedy has other benefits: your opponent will see fortified hexes and *assume* that units are there, wasting arty on this 'decoy' and maybe causing him to advance right into your 'real' units.

Jim NSB

Post #: 7
- 1/3/2002 2:47:00 AM   
Nikademus

quote:

Originally posted by Resisti:

As for the second statement, i think entrenchments are NOT visible by yr enemy when the game starts; not 100% sure on this.

They are not. however once sighted, if the unit becomes "unsighted" in a future turn, you'll still be able to see the entrenchment graphic unfortunately.

Post #: 8
- 1/3/2002 4:23:00 PM   
skukko

Arty also reveals fortified hexes. (sandbacks) mosh

salute

mosh

If its not rotten, shoot again

Post #: 9
- 1/4/2002 8:56:00 AM   
U235

As was mentioned, I entrench all units during setup, then move the units that I don't want entrenched at the start. The entrenchments (sandbags) are still there and they make great rally points if you have to pull back a bit.

Post #: 10
- 1/4/2002 3:00:00 PM   
K G von Martinez

Well, thank you all. I assume best way for SPWAW is to move the troops you don't want to be entrenched.
But for CL I would like the possibility to entrench (and put in cover!) all units individually.

Post #: 11
- 1/5/2002 12:15:00 AM   
RockinHarry

Not for the campaigner, but probably more for the scenario designer of interest; you can give "entrenchment" status to individual hexes in Freds WaW Map Editor, without the use of the sandbag graphic and this way avoiding its suspicious show-up, due to bombing or simply detection by any units. More details still can be found in my Freds WaW Map Edit document, to be downloaded from my signature below. (right click/save target as..) Have fun _________
Harry

RockinHarry in the web:

https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann

Post #: 12
- 1/7/2002 4:32:00 AM   
Capt. Pixel

I like that thought put forward earlier - Deploy randomly (let the computer do it), Call for Entrenchment, and then Deploy your units the way you really want them. As the opponent comes onto your section of the battlefield, he'll see the 'Sandbags' Entrenchment icons and assume (incorrectly, we hope) that your units are either in the entrenchments or on their way to the frontline from those entrenchments. I love this game - there are so many ways to disinform your opponent as to your true position and intent. It just never ends.

"Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible. "
- Stonewall Jackson

Post #: 13
- 1/7/2002 11:42:00 AM   
tracer

quote:

Originally posted by U-235:
As was mentioned, I entrench all units during setup, then move the units that I don't want entrenched at the start. The entrenchments (sandbags) are still there and they make great rally points if you have to pull back a bit.
Hmmm...just tried this in a PBEM after reading Larry's reply: when turn-1 started all my units were entrenched *and* the hexes they were in when I hit the 'entrench all units' button are also fortified! Guess they must have changed something in the latest version.

Jim NSB

Post #: 14
- 1/7/2002 12:00:00 PM   
tracer

quote:

Originally posted by U-235:
Oh, just read your post again...move units at *start*. That would certainly work. But is there any way to do this during setup? This is a PBEM game so using the map editor isn't an option.

Jim NSB

Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Entrenching Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI