Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

SP WAW: Great game, but useless?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP WAW: Great game, but useless? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
SP WAW: Great game, but useless? - 1/5/2002 4:08:00 AM   
chpo

Hi all, I installed the 5.01 version and it played great!
That is, until I sat down next day. Now the computer would spontaneously reboot. So far, I verified that it would reboot in SPWAW, Internet explorer, Windows explorer and Acrobat reader so the whole system felt shaky. I have a backup done via Norton Ghost that I put back in. Everything was fine again until I reinstalled SPWAW again. Reboot in the intro screen this time - when I pressed a key to get past what I had seen once. Upgrades to 6.1 did not help. My system runs Win98 with DirectX 8 on an Athlon card at 1,4 GHz. The graphic card is Geforce 2MX. Ideas, anyone?

Electronic soldiers leave no electronic widows
Post #: 1
- 1/5/2002 4:24:00 AM   
AbsntMndedProf

How much RAM does your PC have? If you run 68 MB, as I do, it may be helpfull to shut down any other apps might be running while SP:WaW is running. I shut all other apps, such as the Norton Antivirus auto-protect program, while playing SP:WaW and have not had any shut-down problems since I started doing it. Good luck! SP:WaW is worth a little extra effort, IMHO. Eric Maietta

(in reply to chpo)
Post #: 2
- 1/5/2002 4:25:00 AM   
AbsntMndedProf

I run 64 MB RAM. Duhhhh! Eric Maietta

(in reply to chpo)
Post #: 3
- 1/5/2002 4:28:00 AM   
chpo

Sorry, I forgot about the RAM. No, I have 256MB of RAM so that should not be a problem. It really galls me to have to miss out on this game that the rest of you are enjoying!

(in reply to chpo)
Post #: 4
- 1/5/2002 4:53:00 AM   
DaveConn

If you are not already doing so, try running the game from the mech.exe file to skip the opening videos; it may make a difference.
-Dave Conn

(in reply to chpo)
Post #: 5
- 1/5/2002 5:03:00 AM   
chpo

Thanks Dave!
Unfortunately, running the mech file directly was what I did to start with. I then skipped that in the hope that it might have something to do with the problem, but nope.... I am beginning to feel like Cinderella here, left out of the big party...

(in reply to chpo)
Post #: 6
- 1/5/2002 5:24:00 AM   
Larry Holt

I found that versions 2 through 6 had some instabilities in them. I have not seen any in ver 7 (I installed from MCNA then patched up to 7). Can you try this and see if it helps? Video drivers are often notorious for this kind of problem. Can you try an updated one or a generic VGA driver and see if you get the reboots? Good luck.

Never take counsel of your fears.

(in reply to chpo)
Post #: 7
- 1/5/2002 5:27:00 AM   
Don Doom

quote:

Originally posted by chpo:
Hi all, My system runs Win98 with DirectX 8 on an Athlon card at 1,4 GHz. The graphic card is Geforce 2MX. Ideas, anyone?

See if your sound & vidio cards support dx8, if not back out 8 & reinstall dx7, which is what I run on and have no problems.

Doom
Vet of the Russian General Winter
For death is only the begining

(in reply to chpo)
Post #: 8
- 1/5/2002 5:28:00 AM   
Warrior

If you haven't already tried it, delete the steel.prf file from the SAVE folder, reboot and try again. I have all sorts of weird stuff on my machine, and the only thing SPWaW ever had a conflict with was an old version of GuardDog. On the other hand, I'd be suspicious of anything you have installed from Norton, since they get into everything. BTW, was that Windows 98 you run, or Windows 98 Second Edition? From what I understand, SE is a more stable platform that the original Win 98. And don't worry, we'll find the answer for you. Can't have a frustrated gamer out there... except the ones trying to beat my scenarios!

Retreat is NOT an option.

(in reply to chpo)
Post #: 9
- 1/5/2002 5:31:00 AM   
chpo

Thanks Larry! I have a Samsung SyncMaster 151s (flat) screen and have loaded the manufacturer's driver. Not that that is a guarantee, but still... I could try the version 7 of course, but this was not available at the MatrixGames site. Where can I find it? Then I only have to download it via my 56k modem or as I did with the other one - get it at work and bring it home on diskettes. That took some time...

(in reply to chpo)
Post #: 10
- 1/5/2002 5:34:00 AM   
chpo

Thanks Don & Warrior too! At least I have some ideas to work with now. I think I'll start fiddling with it tomorrow though, it is 11.30 pm here...

(in reply to chpo)
Post #: 11
- 1/5/2002 7:01:00 AM   
Frank W.

quote:

Originally posted by chpo:
Thanks Don & Warrior too! At least I have some ideas to work with now. I think I'll start fiddling with it tomorrow though, it is 11.30 pm here...

i don´t think it has something to do w/ the mx card. i own a hercules mx and it runs fine...from ver 5.0 to 6.1 all runs fine...okay,some minor soundprobs..but... it runs w/ dx7 + 8. no prob have u got a VIA chipset on your mainboad?
if yes, this ones could cause some probs w/
some configurations. try the newest via divers
in this case

(in reply to chpo)
Post #: 12
- 1/5/2002 9:02:00 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

What no one is saying, and what might be the case, is your system and your settings and your methods might be aaaaall just fine. And you might be the proud owner of a virus eh. If you have a virus you might not have any luck doing anything at all. Last time I had any trouble running software that should actually work I did indeed have a virus. All that you have mentioned indicates you should have absolutely no trouble running Steel Panthers (at least on the surface, your comments indicate all the right moves). If you have the needed processor speed, minimum Ram, a decent sound and video situation, and a good install Steel Panthers should work fine.
Othwerwise is sounds like an outside source trouble.
Your downloaded source files might be damaged too. How did you aaaactually download your files? If what you start with is damaged, nothing you do is going to matter eh. Hopefully you dont have to go through a long tedious fresh download. But if you do need a fresh download, ensure you use something like Getright (which seems the popular choice at Matrix). I sure hope it isnt a virus problem, but dont assume it isnt. Viruses happen to people all the time (yes even if you have an updated excellent anti virus program). [ January 04, 2002: Message edited by: Les the Sarge 9-1 ]

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to chpo)
Post #: 13
- 1/5/2002 3:37:00 PM   
skukko

Are you able to run other games ?

salute

mosh

If its not rotten, shoot again

(in reply to chpo)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP WAW: Great game, but useless? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI