Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 1/8/2002 4:32:00 AM   
RolandRahn_MatrixForum

Just changed my mind about this.
I think that Matrix should look at the potential sales....
Let us assume that the MC comes out some weeks before the first CL module is expected.
The first CL module will be on the eastern front.
If the MC is about the eastern front, that will hurt the MC sales even before CL:Eastern front comes out.
I would love it to have a soviet MC, but from the point of sales, I doubt that it would be a wise decision.
What comes after CL:Moderna?
The PTO or the western ETO?
And when can we expect these modules?
How well was MCWT sold compared with MCNA?
I think that Matrix should just look at the numbers of CDs sold.
And towards potential customers.
If there is a chance to break into the PRC market, make an MC:Mao's long march.
If there is a chance to sell ten thousend CDs in Japan, make a CD "The rising sun". Just some thoughts.

Kind regards,
Roland

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 31
- 1/8/2002 4:48:00 AM   
Frank W.

quote:

Originally posted by kendokabob:
Can't believe no one has mentioned Wacht Am Rhein-the Battle of the Bulge-it's what I've been dying to play a MC on--from either the American or German perspective (new MC idea--how about having the same total # of scenarios, but making it playable from both sides?). From the German side, it would be neat to take control of, say, KG Peiper, or even one of the other KG's, like von der Heydte's (sp?). This would be the perfect design sayonara to SPWAW before CL comes out--the definitive battle of the western front. It might also be very popular with people who have not yet played SPWAW, i.e. a general audience. At least here in the US. Aw, please WB!
yes, i agree. "german´s last blitzkrieg" this
campaign should be called. nice,or? was always quite fascinated by the battle of the bulge,don´t know why excatly....

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 32
- 1/8/2002 5:11:00 AM   
lnp4668

I'll play anything, as long as I could drag myself away from the email games. So little time

"My friends, remember this, that there are no bad herbs, and no bad men; there are only bad cultivators." Les Miserables

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 33
- 1/8/2002 5:26:00 AM   
MarkFroio

I'd like to see: 1) Normandy to the Rhine as US
2) Sicily and Italy as US
3) Battle of Bulge as either force
4) Eastern Front Nov. 42 thru August 43 as either Thanks for asking.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 34
- 1/8/2002 5:42:00 AM   
bobaloo000

1. Japan in East Asia 1938 - 1941. Just before Pearl Harbor. Including battles with the Soviets. 2. Italy in the Balkans. 3. Market Garden or how about one based on Band of Brothers.

Mister I'm not a boy no I'm a man/and I believe in the promised land...

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 35
- 1/8/2002 5:47:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Wow! What a response! I'm very impressed. Magresh, nice post. Glad to see you've jumped into the gaming pool. The enthusiasm is there. I like all of these. So much to choose, so little time. My personal philosophy is that a Mega Campaign should be (1)fun, (2)challenging, and (3) a real learning experience. By the last one I mean that it should be something that after we have played it, we have learned some things, seen some things that are a new experience for us. With that in mind I see two options: A large mega campaign is the first. The Mediterranean, Sicily and Italy 43-45. Perhaps a focus on the Texas Division (36th Infantry Division). Here we could all learn some new things, more about Salerno, Anzio, Cassino, Rome, Apennines, Italian compatriots,Mountain Divisions, British, Aussies, and so much more. The Italian campaign is one we can all learn a lot about. The second one is (2) a series of smaller Mega Campaigns. That would include a lot of those mentioned, Poland vs Germany, France 40, Torch, Kursk, Bagration, the Minor Countries (Balkans), or one on a commando group. Perhaps Merrill's Marauders, Battle of the Bulge, Market Garden, Stalingrad...all of these would make nice little Mega Campaigns of 15-20 battles with documentation and pics, etc. One point I want to clarify. There are no random battles in Mega Campaigns to my knowledge. Your choices are determined by your success in the two I have done, with an occasional option to go in one direction or another, both of which are historical. I tend to shy away from fictional or hypothetical ones as I like the historical aspect and info in a Mega Campaign. You? If Matrix backed it, perhaps a CD with either one big Mega Campaign or three smaller ones might do well. One thing at this point we should not look for, and that is major changes in SPWAW itself. The programmers have to move on to new projects. Some minor changes and improvements, but we'll have to take the "Lady" pretty much as is. So read this over, and let me know if we are thinking correctly. No promises, but it is on my mind. I would need to convince Matrix that is feasible, practical and would be worth the effort. Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 36
- 1/8/2002 6:32:00 AM   
swagman

Wild Bill...I have nothing but administration for your dedication and enthusiasm...and I think your proposal for the last MC are spot on. As far as the east is concerned, an extended campaign with Russian core is already well underway with the Campaign Collective...covering the whole war...while this is not the same as a MC it offers many aspects of battle that players have expressed interest in...battles around before barbarossa, counterattacks before moscow, stalingrad and in part 2 I anticipate kursk, AG Centre, and Berlin...as I understand it will be nearing a hundred battles...battles with swamping german forces and ultimately I expect. shoot-outs between JS-2's and Tigers. While the pacific offers many battles, I don't think it has the same scope for a MC as other theatres...I can't seem them being significantly different to Watchtower...only placed in a different locale... The question is what haven't we got and would like as a last testament to SPWAW...I think a MC needs to focus on a campaign that was extended in real history...which makes Italy ideal. The other proposal of mini-campaigns is great...there are many important battles which didn't extend long-enough to be a MC...eg Kursk, Market Garden, Bulge all only went for a few days or weeks...while other campaigns lacked, in my view, the breadth of scope and diversity of situations that a MC campaign deserves, whether the Italians in the Balkans or a minor power in Russia. I would like to see both Italy and a mini-MC collection, but if it one or the other then my vote would go to Italy...since there are already a lot of shorter campaigns available. Thanks Bill.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 37
- 1/8/2002 6:51:00 AM   
achappelle

Whatever form the next MC takes, it should be one where the AI is predominately on the defensive. As we all know the AI doesn't attack all that smart, despite your best efforts, and it's a lot more fun and challenging to attack, rather than defend.
Also, I'm going to try and stuff the ballot box with another Italian campaign vote.

"Molon Labe" - Leonidas @ Thermopylae (Come Get Them!!)

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 38
- 1/8/2002 7:18:00 AM   
Don Doom

Well, The Master already knows what my preferences are. But The pacific theater has lots of promise. Like Marshels Inlands, phillipines, okanawa,iwo jima. Hint Hint Hint.[Last one was fun to make and I did learn more about the pacific theater].
That is all.

Doom
Vet of the Russian General Winter
For death is only the begining

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 39
- 1/8/2002 8:55:00 AM   
Figmo

The "Soft Underbelly" campaign sounds good to me. Maybe you could have it where once and a while you can choose to be the British for some battles then the Americans. Maybe even a few as the French. A real Allies campaign.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, f

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 40
- 1/8/2002 8:59:00 AM   
KG Erwin

Hmmm, I pushed earlier on for an Island Hopping Pac Campaign, to include Bougainville, Saipan, Guam & such. However, something completely different needs to be considered. Since the minor powers were brought up, maybe a partisan war campaign? Put yourself in the shoes of Marshal Tito or the Ukrainians/Russians, or the French, or a combination. A War of Liberation theme?

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 41
- 1/8/2002 9:34:00 AM   
troopie

How about Mola's drive in the North in the SCW. Or the defence of Madrid? or the Abraham Lincoln Brigade's actions in the Jarama or round the Ebro? None of them have ever been gamed AFAIK. troopie

Pamwe Chete

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 42
- 1/8/2002 9:49:00 AM   
Gallo Rojo

Well, here is my vote again for: * A Soviet side one (from counteratacks in Kursk to Berlin) * I'm with Mosh: a Tiger's one! Something following the Grossdeuchland div.

The bayonet is a weapon with a worker on each end

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 43
- 1/8/2002 11:26:00 AM   
BruceAZ

quote:

Originally posted by Wild Bill:
If there were another Mega Campaign, what area-time frame would you like to play? Wild Bill
Hello Bill: I would like to see something more in the Pacific. Here are some thoughts... (in no real order) I do like the idea of playing an early WW2 battle where less reliance on armor and more on other types of unique arms including calvary, ski or partisans. 1. Okinawa USMC vs IJA
2. Saipan USMC vs IJA
3. Phillpines IJA vs Allies
4. Singapore IJA vs Allies Bruce

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 44
- 1/8/2002 11:28:00 AM   
Grimm

My first choice would be Eastern Front from the Russian Side. That being said, I also like the Italian campaign idea as well.

Its what you do
and not what you say
If you're not part of the future
then get out of the way

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 45
- 1/8/2002 11:33:00 AM   
BruceAZ

quote:

Originally posted by Wild Bill:
If there were another Mega Campaign, what area-time frame would you like to play? Wild Bill
Hello Bill: I would like to see something more in the Pacific. Here are some thoughts... (in no real order) I do like the idea of playing an early WW2 battle where less reliance on armor and more on other types of unique arms including calvary, ski or partisans. 1. Okinawa USMC vs IJA
2. Saipan USMC vs IJA
3. Phillpines IJA vs Allies
4. Singapore IJA vs Allies Bruce

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 46
- 1/8/2002 11:36:00 AM   
Kuroshio Apocal

Merill's Marauders? I don't really know if that would work with the MC design and layout, but damn, I would like to play a campaign based on the 5307th Composite .

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 47
- 1/8/2002 2:31:00 PM   
Randy

I would vote for a Burma Campaign with the Chindits (tons of airdrops, with hit and run tactics against the Japanese).

Semper Fi
Randy

The United States Marines: America's 911 Force-The Tip of the Spear

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 48
- 1/8/2002 3:31:00 PM   
skukko

Historical: Yes. As WB says it teaches alot and gives more deep into this game. And from designers side it gives something to hang on to keep things together. Attack / Defence: Defend for AI due to lack of switches that we have for AI -control. And yes it is more fun to attack Theater of operations: Due to the fact that SPWAW engine can't present individual characterism and is more or less platoon sized, Pacific is not a good option: We have already seen how Japanese are handled weird by the code. I think same oddities are in the Finns, but they just are better camouflaged. And this engine ain't written for infantry battle, it is coded for armored warfare. You are wery lucky to have a working Watchtower, yet unaware of problems that were popping out from every palm and swamphole that made it possible. This is why I would go for campaigns in and close Europe. Big Italian seige would be new add to this game. Regular campaigns don't cover this area. -43 -45 there were elites from both sides and everyone had good supply level as battle of Italy had real strategic value for all. Allied tried to keep axis fighting in there so that axis couldn't get its forces to northern front. Same time they learned and teached their troops to be vets in Normandy and capable to walk from there to Berlin. Pretty much same reasons kept Kesselring feeded by veteran troops and equipment. Note of maps: Now when we have mountanizer and some other add-on-editors and ideas, we could finally do Italy-campaign. I'd love to see Monte Cassino enhanced I'll vote for this Italy MC. Not to forget mention that I've been trying to find time for doing it as regular campaign... As for the future: Spwaw stays alive after CL has came out. It just won't die One reason is very simple: Incapability to purchase CL from local gameshop. Other is also pure snack: You do still play boardgames. Favorites stay alive as Elvis does... For example there is alot good and beautyfull, more historical sub-war games but I still play 'Aces of the Deep'. regards: simo kukko aka mosh

salute

mosh

If its not rotten, shoot again

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 49
- 1/8/2002 4:49:00 PM   
K G von Martinez

Even if I like infantry battles I assume that most players prefere tanks. So - with sales in mind - the Eastern Front should be the first choice. But I understand the reasoning that this can interfere with sales of CL. And that's why I second the idea of an MC of the battles in Italy. Having already a MC with US troops I would prefere a core of British, Canadian or Polish forces, but presumably - sales numbers again - an US core should sell better, just look where most of the people posting came from.
But the idea of some small MC on one CD is also very interesting.
To conclude, I would buy both.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 50
- 1/8/2002 5:03:00 PM   
m10bob

Patton....Cobra.......(Or,either 4th armoured U.S. div or 29th infantry-Omaha beach to Aachen)...

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 51
- 1/8/2002 5:41:00 PM   
ruxius

What about Finland ?
or what about a what-if campaign USA vs URSS ?
But my thoughts always go for a Stalingrad campaign day by day from a German perspective...
THX!

Italian Soldier,German Discipline!

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 52
- 1/8/2002 5:45:00 PM   
toundra

1/ Italians (they have low moral but very cool stuff )
2/ French/Germans 1940
3/ Finns
4/ French & Brits in Norway

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 53
- 1/8/2002 7:01:00 PM   
AC

quote:

Originally posted by pbear:
Add the Italians in Russia to the list, and the Greeks.
Let's make it really hard the Romanians, Hungarians and/or Italians defending in a Stalingrad time period campain. Can you stop those hoards of Russians?

I agree to a MC for a minor country. My wish: retreat of the italian Alpini divisions in January 1943. Lots of action against an overwhelming enemy. AC

"Tridentina, avanti!" General L. Reverberi leading his Alpini troops in the decisive assault on Soviet-held Nikolajewka, 26th January 1943

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 54
- 1/8/2002 7:40:00 PM   
Royal Warwicks

WB
If it's going to be a MC what about 39 to the fall of France, loads of different forces and equipment. Include Norway campaign, Poland, Holland, Belgium and France, the good old BEF - played as Allies what a mixture! Airborne landings, river crossings, landings in Norway, in fact a bit of eveything for the final fling with SPWAW.
If that is too ambitious (I know you like a challenge) Italians would be my second choice, or perhaps something with us Brits as the core. John

It only hurts if they hit you!

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 55
- 1/8/2002 7:57:00 PM   
richmonder

I'd like to see Italy'43 onward. I'd even like to do it as British, but preferably whoever faced the FJ the most. Italy offers some nasty, interesting terrain. Also the German AI opponent will be some of the nastiest that could be created from an historical perspective. I am aware of the abundance of American and German campaigns out there... just a point.. The second option of the multiple smaller MCs is also valid and intriguing. Might also be easier in a sense to control from a design team perspective. As for the Eastern front, aside from the GPW if that ever gets out the door, there *is* another long Soviet campaign (branched w/ a few hypothetical routes) for the post-Kursk era coming in a few months from a design team, so don't feel slighted, all you East Front SPWaW-bies!

Respectfully,
Richmonder
(formerly Gen. Richmond)

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 56
- 1/8/2002 8:33:00 PM   
panda124c

Say what about a 9th Army Campain, starting with Anvil/Dragoon. (I think that's the right Army)
Sicily from the British side.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 57
- 1/8/2002 8:39:00 PM   
robot

How bout british early war singapore burma indo china malasia so on. Either side japs or british

Robots wear armor for skin.Grunts wear skin for armor.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 58
- 1/9/2002 1:20:00 AM   
TheZel66

I'd love to see a British Campaign in its drive through Sicily. Operation Sealion would be another interesting, and challenging mega campaign in which your ability to win scenarios would result in you determining the outcome of the invasion, not history. Another hypothetical one is "what if" Germans had captured Moscow in 41. A Mega Campaign of them driving south to capture the oil fields.. Or, Hypothetical Japaneese Invasion of California....

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 59
- 1/9/2002 3:29:00 AM   
asgrrr

Based on force size, participation intensity, strategic significance and player popularity, I would definitely say it is time for Soviet forces to be 1. person in a megacampaign. Many have advocated the Bagration offensive of 1944, but I would prefer the eastern Ukraine operations of late 1943, perhaps starting with the Kursk battles.
Reasons:
1. The germans are a much more formidable opponents at this time, and the red army is weaker. This would make for more challenging and interesting battles.
2. The nature of the battles of this period is more diverse, including set piece defensive and offensive battles, fast advances, city assaults, major river crossings and airborne operations.
3. This is the period when new soviet AFV types are entering service at the highest rate, giving interesting upgrade choices.
4. Finally, the campaign collective is a rich source of linked scenarios for the soviets, although it has not yet advanced to this time period. On the other hand, it is quite unclear that the collective will ever advance beyond Stalingrad, so this period may not be duplicated however. If I am to give a negative vote, I think the pacific theatre sucks, no tank battles...
(take this last paragraph with a pinch of salt)

Never hate your enemy.
It clouds your judgement.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI