Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 1/8/2002 6:52:00 PM   
Panther_II

correct the message when you fire a panther or a jgpz IV gun, it says "L 707" instead of "L 70". why not include a editor for the units in the 7.1 version? so you can change and add units your selfe.

(in reply to Paul Vebber)
Post #: 31
- 1/8/2002 7:08:00 PM   
toundra

Thanks a lot Paul.

Post #: 32
- 1/8/2002 7:47:00 PM   
john g

quote:

Originally posted by Karl Brommann:
correct the message when you fire a panther or a jgpz IV gun, it says "L 707" instead of "L 70". why not include a editor for the units in the 7.1 version? so you can change and add units your selfe.
You do have an editor included, but I just checked and the panther doesn't show L 707 it shows L70. Perhaps you have a video driver that is throwing extra letters in there.
thanks, John.

Post #: 33
- 1/8/2002 7:58:00 PM   
melcer

Good work! Don't let it delay CL to much though. The armour fix and the addition of shatter gap (I followed the discussion on the OOB forum with interrest) is very appreciated. It will be interresting to see how it turns out. Melcer

Post #: 34
- 1/8/2002 10:26:00 PM   
Frank W.

from me a "good job", too. so i will skip 7.0 and go straight to
7.1 when it´s released. thanx

Post #: 35
- 1/9/2002 5:10:00 AM   
Nikademus

quote:

Originally posted by Paul Vebber:
We are currently working on a fix to the "synch bug" and a few issues with the two player campaign (most notably when done online). We are also looking into a way to address one aspect of the artillery delay issue, but I not sure if the fix will pan out. What has been fixed in the current test build is: 1) too many men fire primary inf weapons - this has been corrected so only primary inf weapons in SLOT 1 are fired multiple times. Also a suppression componant has been added so supression reduces the number of "multiple men" firing. This should help the problem of unsuppressed defenders taking excessive losses because suppressed attackers still attack with the same number of men as unsuppressed units. Likewise this reduces this will reduce teh casualties taken when an attacking force has a significnat numerical superiority and suppresses the daylights out of defenders. This will in general increase the effectiveness of preparatory and overwatcing fires. The effect is now: Roll DIE(200) for each man in the squad , if the result is less than (experience-(suppression/2)) the man fires. The result is added to the base of at least 1 man always firing. 2) Flame weapons are too destructive: Flame weapons has a base 60% chance of penetration vice "automatic" penetration. 3) APCR T/d calcualtion incorrect: Repaired. This reduces the effectiveness in undermatched engagements (ie armor significantly greater than projectile diameter) 4) Slope effect on effective resistance tweaked slightly upward. (this makes the effective resistance slightly higher) 5) Modified the ricochet routine to do a check for "shatter gap" tendency (though with a significant randon element) based on the chance of shatter starting at about T/d = .75 and reaching max at about 1.25. Penetration to effective resistance ratio ramps from a minimum at ramping up linearly from 1.01 to max at 1.11 and at the high end more variably in a "hump" centered at 1.25 but having significant tails form about 1.10 up to 1.4. Note the max shatter probability is capped at .5 and testing has shown it generaly much less, but wanted to include this effect as part of the ricochet routine. 6)Introduced a more linear variabilty into vulnerable location hits, The chance ramps up from 300m on in rather than a step function at range 150. 7) Bit the bullet and added a rudimentory "armor quality" function that works a lot better than the thickness germandering I tried to do. Since the effective resistance of high hardness or cast armor had a bigger T/d dependance than I originally thought. For those complaining about this I have come around to the error of my ways The "Skirts" data element in the OOBs is now coded like radio to allow 5 different armor types: 0,1,2,3 Single digit gives the vehicle 0, 10, 20 , or 30mm skirts on Flank hits. Vehice is assumed to have MOSTLY "normal" 240 BHN RHA type armor 10,11,12,13 As above but armor is superior quality to "regualar" RHA. 20,21,22,23 As above but vehicle has "high hardness" armor of moderate quality. 30,31,32,33 As above but has "high hardness" armor of poor quality. 40,41,42,43 As above but armor is cast. Now these categories are a bit vague, but allow for inclusion of T/d into the quality equation, namely that armor deficiency is most pronounced when siginiicantly overmatched, and in the case of high hardness can actually be a benefit when the T/d is high. This means that 37 vs T-34 will be generally ineffective, 50mm will be a wash with the "old values" and 75 and 88 in particular will see less effective resistance. This will allow the enhanced effect of 75mm and 88mm rounds without giving the 50 and in particular 37mm APCR a free ride. I am presently updating the vehicel stats with this additional value. ARmor values have been restored to v6 standards, in the case of some vehicels penalized for cast armor, enhanced. (KV, IS and Churchill types the most effected. THis allows for an appropriate T/d to be calculated based on actual armor thickness, and not a reduced value. I am also changing some of teh front hull values to a more uniform use of "most significant plate" with a slope modifier if a more vulnerable plate is present, again so T/d calculations are not skewed. This works withthe change in vulnerable loaction hits to allow for "lessor" plates to be engaged with more range dependance (its hard to hit them outside 300m, but much easier at 1 hex) This OOB update will take me another week or so to get done with. I have instituted the updates Alby had made form the threads here and the mortar changes (less some the extr FO's).

Like to express my personal appreciation for the hard work your doing Paul and just for plain listening to those of us who had concerns since 7.0 came out. No one can ever accuse you of not doing your homework. You've pretty much addressed all the questions i was going to pose to you since getting Lorrin's book, especially about the T/D factor in determining the effect of high hardness armor as well as the cast armor issue. One question....i've posed this to Lorrin as well, Though i hav'nt had the chance to delve as deeply into his book as you have yet, i'm a little confused over the German armor quality issue. While in the intro section , German armor is quoted as retaining superior balistic resistance, even in the face of declining alloy content, test cases by the US consistantly state that German armor preformed similar to US standard test plate, implying that the two were mostly equivilent. I'm not sure if where the conclusion of German armor quality being superior comes from unless i'm interpreting the data wrong. heh....did ya notice the Tiger mantlet drawings too heh....knew there was a big open space behind it. Being cast as well....i'm thinking 140 might be a better more fair figure. Lorrin quoted that a shell with 135+mm pen ability should have a good chance against it. Thoughts?

Post #: 36
- 1/9/2002 5:13:00 AM   
Nikademus

Oh forgot one other thing Paul you said there was a bug allowing too many men to fire the primary weapon. Have you checked the formula for weapon 2-4 slots? I'm still seeing occasionally 3-5 multiple casualty examples per fire phase on these weapons even though they are supposed to be one shot weapons being in those slots. Or is it that the game figures that even a bolt action rifle in slot 2-4 can get off multiple firings in the phase? if so that explains it and i'll shut up

Post #: 37
- 1/9/2002 5:31:00 AM   
Nikademus

quote:

Originally posted by melcer:
Good work! Don't let it delay CL to much though. The armour fix and the addition of shatter gap (I followed the discussion on the OOB forum with interrest) is very appreciated. It will be interresting to see how it turns out. Melcer
have to admit, i'm nervous about trying to incorporate the shatter gap. I can see the complaints now "I fired on a Tiger at 200 yards with a 17 pounder and it bounced off!!!!!" Besides which, alot of the data was a tad bit contradictory in terms of consistantly reproducing the shatter gap effect. It'll be interesting to see thats for sure

Post #: 38
- 1/9/2002 6:02:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

Nik, yes a single man shooting a "shot" is more than one round and can kill more than one enemy (also remeber that "casualties" are combat ineffectives so a single shot that "kills" 3 may have wounded one man who is being carried to the rear by two buddies who are out of the action also. Contact me offline about the build you are using. My interpretation is that if armor from a typically destroyed German vehicle (often blown out with explosives, cut out, or subject to intense heat of burnout) performs as well as US test plate that that indicates some degree of superiority. Though such tests are suspect in any case becasue of what the armor was subjected too before testing. I put more credence in the German test results, on more "virgin" armor. Always the Tiger mantlet...well I did a little "area average" albeit crude and came up with 164 as the average (accounting for the not insignificant overlp areas, though discounting them somewhat for edge effect...) Given penetration variability can be 9% a 135 pen round has a good chance if it gets a "vulnerable area hit" The implementation of shatter gap is done in a similar fashion to ricochet. There is no "absolute" in fact I may have made it too obcure... I use Lorrin's diagram as "fuzzy boundaries" with probability of occurance increasing as you move to the interior. I have 50/50 chance superimposed on the whole thing so the absolute probabilty is never more than 50%. That can be adjusted based on reports. Ricochets are uncommonenough ingeneral and the effect is so range dependant that it may be difficult to see it in many situations. I need to do more "shooting gallery" tests to tweak the effect... It should happen enough to be annoying when the range is correct, but not act as a "shield wall" to "game". That is why so much randomness in the implementation, it will be possible to figure out "range notches" where shatter gap may tend to help, but it will never be a remotely sure thing.

Post #: 39
- 1/9/2002 6:38:00 AM   
Nikademus

quote:

Nik, yes a single man shooting a "shot" is more than one round and can kill more than one enemy (also remeber that "casualties" are combat ineffectives so a single shot that "kills" 3 may have wounded one man who is being carried to the rear by two buddies who are out of the action also. Contact me offline about the build you are using. My interpretation is that if armor from a typically destroyed German vehicle (often blown out with explosives, cut out, or subject to intense heat of burnout) performs as well as US test plate that that indicates some degree of superiority. Though such tests are suspect in any case becasue of what the armor was subjected too before testing. I put more credence in the German test results, on more "virgin" armor. Always the Tiger mantlet...well I did a little "area average" albeit crude and came up with 164 as the average (accounting for the not insignificant overlp areas, though discounting them somewhat for edge effect...) Given penetration variability can be 9% a 135 pen round has a good chance if it gets a "vulnerable area hit" The implementation of shatter gap is done in a similar fashion to ricochet. There is no "absolute" in fact I may have made it too obcure... I use Lorrin's diagram as "fuzzy boundaries" with probability of occurance increasing as you move to the interior. I have 50/50 chance superimposed on the whole thing so the absolute probabilty is never more than 50%. That can be adjusted based on reports. Ricochets are uncommonenough ingeneral and the effect is so range dependant that it may be difficult to see it in many situations. I need to do more "shooting gallery" tests to tweak the effect... It should happen enough to be annoying when the range is correct, but not act as a "shield wall" to "game". That is why so much randomness in the implementation, it will be possible to figure out "range notches" where shatter gap may tend to help, but it will never be a remotely sure thing.
I know....sorry, could'nt resist. I know that the Tiger I mantlet issue is one of your er.....'fonder' Steel panther's memories That was the kicker and gave me much amusement. Getting my basic idea of a "mantlet's" function was totally countered by the variable thickness of the mantlet itself, hence the joke was still on me For those not yet posessed of yon excellent resource courtasy of Lorrin, it includes a full sketch diagram of the Tiger 1 Mantlet. in a nutshell it's armor thickness varies between 90mm on the edges that align with the small outer surface area of the front turret to 150mm (cast) around the telescopic holes and MG holes. The majority of the mantlet is between 110-120 with a good chunk of 140mm around where the gun barrel exits the turret. In truth given the wide disperity i did'nt think the 159 was bad (hell it's not 200mm at least ) Given the variable thicknesses i had to latch on to something thus Lorrin's quote on a 135+mm penetration capability having a good chance. Since it's cast i figured too no armor bonus (other than not severely dinging it for being cast) was necessary thus 140 seemed good. It still bloody defeats most everything it faces except the 17 pounder and 122mm (or APCR 85mm) I'll email you on the rest.

Post #: 40
- 1/9/2002 6:52:00 AM   
orsha

I recall lorrin saying that good quality cast armor has around 10-15% reduced resistance of RHA armor. If the tiger has a minimun mantlet thickness of 90-150mm + 100mm turret armour, the 159mm looks a bit on the low end. Another figure of 179mm was used before.

Post #: 41
- 1/9/2002 7:07:00 AM   
Nikademus

quote:

Originally posted by orsha:
I recall lorrin saying that good quality cast armor has around 10-15% reduced resistance of RHA armor. If the tiger has a minimun mantlet thickness of 90-150mm + 100mm turret armour, the 159mm looks a bit on the low end. Another figure of 179mm was used before.

If of good quality the cast degrading factor lowers as the thickness goes up, so 10% or so not far off, certainly better than the previous thought universal 20+% dig no, that was the confirmation provided by the diagrams, only along the mantlet edges is it 90mm mantlet + turret front (which after applying formula, Lorrin est it equaled about 140mm equivilent plate) The rest of the turret, is empty space baring two 100mm bars to help brace the massive 88/56 assembly and the telescopic sights and MG equip etc. the maximum thickness (150mm) covers only a very small surface area around the hole openings for the scopes and MG. There is a bigger 140mm area matching the circular outcropping surrounding the gun barrel , the rest is approx 110-120mm, the mantlet edges that jut out are tappered to 90mm (but are backed by the front turret edges) 140-150 sounds like a decent compromise since we are restricted to one universal rating. I'm not screaming about 159 of course, just thinking out loud and reminiscing on the heated debate the earlier 176-200mm turret rating caused in days past Regardless....Tiger remains a formidable beast against most Allied guns until late in the war. A statement more about the state of Allied anti tank tech more than the Tiger itself along with the long range power of the 88mm. (exceptions of course, but just a general statement)

Post #: 42
- 1/9/2002 8:17:00 AM   
Alby

quote:

THe fix would be to remove the save buttoin so you don't save after a scenario is over. You can refrain form doing this (save before you "end turn" the last time" and then after you start the next game).

This tied in anyway to the save game menu repeatedly popping up in online games?

Post #: 43
- 1/9/2002 9:11:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

The save game menu pops up if any of the players save the game (though it is best to have one player save and them email that file since the files can get out of synch.) I don't think its related. But are you saying that the save game menu appears when no player saves?

Post #: 44
- 1/10/2002 5:01:00 AM   
j.guitar

Hey Paul,
Thanks for the heads up on 7.1. Hope this cure the synch problem. If it helps, I've found the 7.0 beta patch you sent me for an earlier problem with MC-DF, reinstalled it over the internet 7.0 download patch, and have not yet had the synch problem again. This will work for me until 7.1 is out. Maybe this will help you, and any others that need a temp fix.
Thanks again
A weapon is only as good as those trained to use it

Post #: 45
- 1/10/2002 5:48:00 AM   
Alby

quote:

The save game menu pops up if any of the players save the game (though it is best to have one player save and them email that file since the files can get out of synch.) I don't think its related. But are you saying that the save game menu appears when no player saves?
No No, when you save online, the screen pops up as it should, then after you enter that save and go back to battle, it keeps repeatedly popping back up, you have to hit escape to leave that screen, sometimes it works, other times you may have to hit escape key numerous amount of times to leave the save game scren.

Post #: 46
- 1/10/2002 7:38:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

von R -m what is teh time stamp on that mech file? That will help greatly!

Post #: 47
- 1/10/2002 8:20:00 AM   
j.guitar

Paul,
The Mech Zip File I received is 7b6 082301, and I received it on 8/25/01. I assume this means its dated 08/23/01.
Hope this helps, or anything else I can do?
Thanks, Jeff

Post #: 48
- 1/10/2002 10:31:00 AM   
Grimm

Quick question from a part time general: What is this "shatter gap" that has been mentioned and how will it effect game play? Thanks in advance.

Its what you do
and not what you say
If you're not part of the future
then get out of the way

Post #: 49
- 1/11/2002 6:28:00 AM   
Nikademus

"Shatter gap" is a term used to describe the phenomenum observed during combat and gunnery trials for enemy armor plate to resist (shatter) incoming AP rounds that theoretically had the penetrative power to defeat the plate in question. The theory is intriguing because it might help explain some of the almost ridiculous wartime reports of German armor resistance ala their Tiger and Panther tanks even in the face of point blank fire. Numerous field tests revealed that the tendancy for SG to rear it's head tended to happen after a certain degree of overpenetration occured due to extremely high muzzle velocities causing the nose to crack and break up as it impacts with heavy armor plate vs. drilling through as one would expect when a shell heavily overmatches the armor thickness struck. Thus for example say a 6pdr at 200 yards firing at a Tiger's frontal hull might produce a failure despite the shell's theoretical penetration ability at that range BTW, i'm going by memory here and dont have the source so Lorrin is free to correct me if my laymanization is too far off the mark (actually you can search out his thread on the OOB forum too under "Shatter Gap" too) Chief suspect for above was the shells themselves which might have had hidden cracks or other defects in the noses (and i beleive nose hardness factored in too, i recall reading in Lorrin's book that German ultra-high velocity shells did not suffer much if any of this "Shatter gap" effect because they had very high quality ammo and very hard nose caps. The caution though, and one Paul has already addressed by stressing efforts to prevent "Gamisms" by introducing sure fire range brackets where this will happen, is that the test results could vary from firing to firing leading to questions on the validety of SG, or perhaps more accurately, not the validety, but on how to accurately predict when such an effect will be experienced. As a long time wargamer i can relate to the above. I can just imagine the screamings from frustrated wargamers complaining about non penetrations against German heavies when all their range and armor tables are telling them that they should have scored a kill! Brave new world out there

Post #: 50
- 1/11/2002 7:16:00 AM   
Warhorse

Paul, just realized the Bulgarian file I had fixed for you evidently didn't make it into version 7?! Could you please include it for 7.1?

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

Post #: 51
- 1/11/2002 7:51:00 AM   
Alby

From Blizt ops messages board, more online save problems. Author: Ironfist (209.251.27.---)
Date: 01-10-02 03:03 Anyone haveing as much trouble as I with 7.0 saves with live games ?When closeing the game you can no longer use the auto save. Even after I set the file to my opponent it said files were different. Any ideals ??? Also recently when trying to save in any avialable slots, durring live games, it tends to freeze up and agian it wont propperly save files.Hope this is the only new bug i find. The previous ver. worked fine...

Post #: 52
- 1/11/2002 3:01:00 PM   
King__Thunder

I don`t know if this "bug" is fixed in 7.0v. it is on the 6.1 version. 1/ troops dont get supression from arty if they are loaded in a truck or tank, I bombarded with finn 254 mm naival arty where the enemy (ruski 43 PBEM) had its troops, it should cleare the hex that I am fireing at and the adjacent hexes, but my oponent said that he got very litel supression. 2/ The paras that my ruski enemy dropd behind my line of defens retreted to my fiering units (their front line)contrary to in normal situtiation that is away from the fire. [ January 11, 2002: Message edited by: King__Thunder ]

If you are a deserter and allalone frezing to the bones in a deep cold forest and would like to have some company, call for friendly fire.

Post #: 53
- 1/11/2002 9:05:00 PM   
Charles2222

King__Thunder: If in fact occupants of enclosed vehicles, like halftracks and trucks, aren't suffering proportional suppression, it might not be such a bad thing anyway. One website I've quoted here on this forum, which studied studied the affects of artillery, said that men in halftracks, as opposed to men in open terrain, would suffer only 1/10 the losses, while those in trucks only 1/4.

Post #: 54
- 1/12/2002 5:24:00 AM   
King__Thunder

It was odinary tracks that they were driving with, 254 mm arty should make som supression if it hits in the same hex.
quote:

Originally posted by Charles_22:
said that men in halftracks, as opposed to men in open terrain, would suffer only 1/10 the losses, while those in trucks only 1/4.[/QB]

If you are a deserter and allalone frezing to the bones in a deep cold forest and would like to have some company, call for friendly fire.

Post #: 55
- 1/12/2002 8:06:00 PM   
Fredde

A few things about 7.0: 1. When firing at two units in the same hex, the one you're not aiming at seems to get an unreasonable high casualty rate, i.e. in most cases, higher than or equal to the unit you are actually firing at (pretty nice tactics when an enemy tank and an enemy infantry unit is in the same hex is to target the tank with your mg, and watch the infantry die much faster than if you targeted it directly). 2. Indirect fire is more effective than direct fire, when the firing unit is observing the hex and the "hit percentage" is low (this goes for artillery type units, AA, tanks etc.. not as much for infantry). It seems like trying to actually aim at the enemy position is worse than area-covering "more random" fire.. which also seems a little off. 3. Is this the "sync" bug? My enemy has one result in the online game, and i get another, which turn up "ghost units" if my unit is destroyed (as I see it) and not as he sees it. Also pops up the rankless leaders again and leaves an extra crew on the map. Otherwise, this should be on the list too..!

"If infantry is the Queen of the battlefield, artillery is her backbone", Jukka L. Mäkelä about the Finnish victory at Ihantala.

Post #: 56
- 1/12/2002 10:25:00 PM   
Charles2222

King__Thunder:
quote:

It was odinary tracks that they were driving with, 254 mm arty should make som supression if it hits in the same hex.
Perhaps, but the research was done with varying degrees of artillery, but in any case, assuming it's correct, the point still carries, that artillery will do greatly reduced damage to occupants of vehicles as opposed to ground troops in the clear. It would seem as though the system isn't taking into suppressing the occupants AT ALL, but the majority of artillery in this game doesn't approach 233mm., so "maybe" leaving them unsuppressed, again, assuming their resaearch is correct, is overall an accidental more ideal thing, than just throwing the suppression of the vehicle automatically upon those occupying. In a sense, that doesn't make sense. As I see it, the vehicle itself doesn't take suppression, but only damage. It is the crew that has the suppression. Of course those in the bed aren't the crew, but could suffer similar suppression possibly (sometimes worse, sometimes better). BUT, if I understand things correctly, suppression-wise, HTs/trucks are laced with just as much suppression as the foot soldier that might be hit in the same hex, as I doubt that research was known since SPs inception, but then I could be wrong. If that is so, and the research I mentioned is so, then clearly the vehicles are being too heavily suppressed in the first place by artillery. True, for all practical purposes the team being hauled should suffer similar suppression but if HTs and trucks are at the foot soldier suppression level, then maybe those being hauled having little suppression should remain as it is (sort of a compromise). It's kind of screwy though, because anytime an infantry-laden tank is assaulted, done well or not, the infantry almost always come off very heavily suppressed and are well nigh useless.

Post #: 57
- 1/12/2002 11:01:00 PM   
Paul Vebber

Game limitation, if you are "in" a vehicle it has to be hit have the crew bail. SOme classes have troops riding "on" and they bail off, others "in".
Status report. We are working on the campign problems and this will likely delay the patch until next week sometime. I sent a Beta with what we hope fixes the synch problem and if anyone wants it - email me.

Post #: 58
- 1/13/2002 12:29:00 AM   
Charles2222

Paul Vebber: I see where you're coming from, only the talk seems to focus less on bailing and more on suppression received, bailing or otherwise. I mentioned getting assaulted only to make a comparison of something that I know causes suppression. Yes, that is comparing something that is 'on' instead of 'in' but strangely enough, as long as I've played this game, I can't tell you in the slightest what happens to units 'in' HTs/trucks if they're assaulted (such a trait I do not long for), though I have seen sometimes the results of direct fire knocking out the carrying vehicle and the 'in' guys.

Post #: 59
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI