Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Fav AFVs ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Fav AFVs ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Fav AFVs ? - 7/2/2004 11:16:05 PM   
Yamashita

So what are some of your favorite AFVs ?
The Germans sure have lots of neat toys, but T-34 s are pretty special too. & I've always had an irrational likeing for the Pzkpwg II , not sure why just a fun looking little tank.

thoughts?
Post #: 1
RE: Fav AFVs ? - 7/3/2004 12:53:50 AM   
Tequila

Oh where to start?

Russia:

OT-34: One hell of a badass flametank. It's also a flametank that is fast, well armored and can carry eight.

SU-57. Nasty hard hitting ATG with a 12.7mm Dhsk HMG. Thinly armored so don't get careless with them.

T34.m43. Carries 12 and in 8.1 has nice FC and RF numbers for accurate shots and improved ROF over the other T34s models. Still have to get up close and personal though, the damage drops off dramatically as the range increases.

T34/85. Much better hitting power but in '44 still has the same armor as the first T34 so they die quickly. I wish they had the frontal armor of a T34.m42.

Germany:

StuH42. Yowzer, just a terrific and cheap way to kill infantry with that 105mm howitzer.

75m Pak40 ATG.

PzIV with either the 75L43 or 75L48 gun. Not much armor but great hitting power at range and inexpensive.

Tiger and Panther. Duh too obvious so I won't comment on them.

< Message edited by Tequila -- 7/2/2004 10:58:53 PM >

(in reply to Yamashita)
Post #: 2
RE: Fav AFVs ? - 7/3/2004 5:21:16 AM   
Yamashita

Thanks Tequila, just the sort of thing I was looking for . I'd never heard of the Su-57 before.

also wonder ed if someone would put in a good word for the PzIV, cost effective but less glamorous than the Panther & Tigers.

How bout thoughts on British & American AFVs? I know the Stuarts used to be as good as Shermans in SP - gun was pretty effective, high rate of fire, small target & fast. haven't had a chance to try them in WAW yet. Hopefully this weekend.

(in reply to Yamashita)
Post #: 3
RE: Fav AFVs ? - 7/3/2004 5:57:05 AM   
KG Erwin

As in real life, the 75mm GMCs are great infantry killers for the USMC in Pacific battles. In combination with Marine infantry, they can be deadly. They were finally replaced by the 105mm Priests in 1945, but these were valuable additions to the USMC, apart from the attached tanks. These vehicles deserve recognition as most valuable AFV in the early Pacific War.

Your question on "faves" is a loaded one, as I've demonstrated. Steel Panthers is about combined arms tactical combat in the WWII era. A great tank is still fodder for AT-mine armed infantry if it isn't supported by infantry on its own.

Repeat after me-- this is the mantra--proper application of combined arms wins the battle.

Again--proper application of combined arms wins the battle-- it was true in WWII, and it is true in SPWaW.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 7/2/2004 11:11:13 PM >

(in reply to Yamashita)
Post #: 4
RE: Fav AFVs ? - 7/3/2004 6:15:38 AM   
Hexed Gamer

Ok as my comments on the Carre d As 40 scenario highlight, it is not what you have, but when you have it.

Late war, the Germans and Russians rule the roost with the big nasties.

But in the Fall of France, when the Germans have to content themselves with the Pz III, have some fun driving a Matilda II around occasionally :)
Yeah the 2 pdr gun can be disappointing sometimes, but you will get a kick out of watching 37mm tank rounds bounce off it repeatedly too.

In 41 a KV1 can be a real amusement to drive around as well.

The game has an interesting habit of showing how good some vehicles might have been if they had been led and employed more effectively.

Sadly though, I can't really think of a time or place where a Sherman is invulnerable to it's foe. I have learned that US TDs can be nasty if you use them in hide and seek games.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 5
RE: Fav AFVs ? - 7/3/2004 6:54:32 AM   
KG Erwin

Hexed gamer illustrates the value of AFVs relative to the theater. I play Pacific battles, and by 1944 the value of flame tanks and Shermans are amply demonstrated against Japanese bunkers and caves. The Japanese will occasionally deploy tanks, but these are cannon fodder for the Shermans. This isn't Europe-- the Japanese are dug in and will not surrender--they can only be neutralized by flame and high explosives . The tanks are used in direct fire against fortified positions, with no hint of wide-ranging outflanking manuevers.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 7/3/2004 12:01:29 AM >

(in reply to Yamashita)
Post #: 6
RE: Fav AFVs ? - 7/3/2004 7:00:35 AM   
Hexed Gamer

What KG missed was, the Japanese are damnably good at hiding :)

ALWAYS keep some grunts RIGHT IN THE HEX with those tanks.

Shermans ain't much good to you blowed up hehe :)

It is wise to just assume you won't see EVERY Japanese unit till the last second. Just because you look like you are alone doesn't mean you are.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 7
RE: Fav AFVs ? - 7/3/2004 8:07:14 AM   
Mangudai

Soviet T-35 "land battleship", it has 11 crewmen and what appears to be 4 independent turrets A 76mm AT gun, and two count 'em two 45mm guns. Unfortunatelly, the armor is only about 20mm thick, its slow, and the accuracy is not so hot. It was pretty much obsolete by 1941. But for a tank invented in 1933 it was quite good. I don't know if that model ever appeared in the Spanish Civil War, but if it did it could rule the field.

I'm also fond of the Lee/Grant tanks. Not because of spectacular combat effectiveness, just because they look cool.

(in reply to Hexed Gamer)
Post #: 8
RE: Fav AFVs ? - 7/3/2004 8:24:00 AM   
Klinkenhoffen

M7 Priest or better still M10. KABOOM

They are not a SP artillary piece to be messed with. 105mm and 150mm respectivly. I had a game just recently that went belly up and I had to fight may way out. A platoon of M7's who had been tasked for arty support went on the offensive against infantry and Stug42's. Drove the Stug's off and splatered the infantry.

Who says that you need a tank to get the job done?

Klink

It's all gone horribly wrong !

(in reply to Yamashita)
Post #: 9
RE: Fav AFVs ? - 7/3/2004 9:45:47 AM   
Yamashita

KG erwin, great advise of course, & the Pacific jungles, forts & caves have to make flame tanks the best weapon to have.

Hexed , Matildas rock early war, another fav of mine if only they had HE shells they'd be really really fun. I used to take a platoon of the KVs & mix in the one with the 150mmm IG too.

Mangudai , that T-35 is a monster I saw it in the encyclopedia, but can SPWAW handle all of those guns on one tank?

Oh, & I built a nice model of the Lee when I was younger, nice to have both the 37 & 75 mm gun (even with it's limited fiel of fire, but I bet they are so big they get hit pretty easily in SPWAW (?)

Does anyone like the Churchill ? slow but pretty heavily armoured it seems. Cromwells have a certain apeal as something different but look like they'd be death traps. The Brits seem pretty hard up outside of Matilda.

(in reply to Klinkenhoffen)
Post #: 10
RE: Fav AFVs ? - 7/3/2004 1:03:19 PM   
Maciste

France: Somua 35 and B-1 (despite their flaws, if they've just been used properly they could have slowed quite a bit the blitzkrieg)
Britain: Matilda II and Churchills (when the only one thing good on brit tanks are armor... then take the most armored ones), and, of course, the Sherman Firefly ;)
Germany: Königtiger! (aka Tiger II) While underpowered on reality, on the game is a real baaaad dude :D
Italia: ¿uh? ¿tanks? ¿what is that? :P Well... I've they just produced the P26 just some years earlier... they maybe have done something...
Japan: The Chi-Ha, but I think that the very japanese were more dangerous than their tanks :D
Soviet Union: KV-1 on the beginning... and then... IS!!!!!
United States: Shermans, shermans, shermans, shermans, shermans, shermans (and some Pershings on the mail order, please )

(in reply to Yamashita)
Post #: 11
RE: Fav AFVs ? - 7/3/2004 3:27:06 PM   
Marek Tucan

USSR: T-34/76b+c, T-34/85, KV-1 + SU-57 Rulez!!

Reich: Hetzer, StuG-IIIG, Panther, Tiger I and most of all JagdPanther

UK: Firefly, Matilda, Churchill

USA: M4A3e8, M10 Wolverine, M7 Priest. CALLIOPE!!! SHERMAN FLAME!!!!!!!!

Japan: Nothing

Italy: Semovente 75 and 41 (with 90mm gun)

Tuccy

(in reply to Maciste)
Post #: 12
RE: Fav AFVs ? - 7/4/2004 12:13:15 AM   
immortaljacko

besides the usual suspects, Tiger, Panther, Sherman with 76mm, T-34's and the VC Firefly, just used them today for the first time.

I've just started using the Japanese SS Eng. Tank in a Long Campaign. It's great, burning 10 guys in one burst a few times. Very weak armor though.

Love the flametanks.

(in reply to Marek Tucan)
Post #: 13
RE: Fav AFVs ? - 7/4/2004 6:53:04 PM   
Yamashita

ImmortalJack,
Yeah that Japanese flame tank is nice esp since it has 2 flamethrowers & I think 10 shots n each of them. But ya have to kill the enemy tanks before you can use it much. I did toast some Russian tanks with it during a night time defense tho.

(in reply to immortaljacko)
Post #: 14
RE: Fav AFVs ? - 7/5/2004 7:58:22 PM   
Belisarius

I'm still holding the PzIII as the numero uno combined tank support and infantry support AFV. It's just soo accuarate, got plenty of MG and 50mm to play with to mow down those masses and then you can let your big ones take care of the rest. And if it's tagging along with infantry, it's great for suppression and MG/bunker busting. Even more considering it comes with APCR...

Kursk taught me that. (thanx Jess!)

There are equivalents. Although only available late years, the M24 Chaffee is plenty of fun. And the M10...

Got StuG?

(in reply to Yamashita)
Post #: 15
RE: Fav AFVs ? - 7/6/2004 6:42:31 AM   
Yamashita

Ah, now there's a nice tip PzIII with the 50mm gun. Sounds like good bang for your buck!

(in reply to Belisarius)
Post #: 16
RE: Fav AFVs ? - 7/6/2004 10:42:29 AM   
MOTHER

pz111 - but the amphibious ones!,always surprises
HMC M8 scott- little unit big gun
tetrach - best scout about
chuchill AVRE with the 203mm Spigotkaboom!
Used enmass- Portees always havoc in the desert rear!

Dirty deeds done dirt cheap

(in reply to Yamashita)
Post #: 17
RE: Fav AFVs ? - 7/10/2004 3:19:48 PM   
Roo

Hmm... my vote goes for the Cromwell Cruiser tanks (esp. Mk IV). Armour is similar to that of the M4, more balanced on the turret but less on the hull, yet it is nearly twice as fast and with a better 75mm gun.

Sherman DD is good as well, especially as the Germans that saw them on 6th June 1944 were shocked - even to the point of some running away... their own experiments with floating tanks were pretty unsucessful and had been abandoned years earlier.

(in reply to MOTHER)
Post #: 18
RE: Fav AFVs ? - 7/10/2004 8:19:53 PM   
Komentaja Nopanen

Every finlandeer out here! You MUST love BT-42.. 114mm gun, oh the sweetness.

BT-42 has only one fault; it's useless.. :P

(in reply to Roo)
Post #: 19
RE: Fav AFVs ? - 7/11/2004 5:58:56 AM   
Mangudai

The Churchills would be much better if they had a reverse gear, allowing them to keep their frontal armor facing the enemy at all times. I imagine this is how they were used in real life, unfortunatelly SPWAW doesn't include that feature.

quote:

HMC M8 scott- little unit big gun

Agreed. I overlooked this little baby until VikingNo2 showed me the error of my ways. Now I buy them in greater quantity than any other tank. They are perfect for supporting an infantry company advancing in thick terrain.

(in reply to Komentaja Nopanen)
Post #: 20
RE: Fav AFVs ? - 7/11/2004 6:40:27 AM   
Gallo Rojo

My all times favourite:

SU-100

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Gallo Rojo -- 7/11/2004 4:42:38 AM >

The bayonet is a weapon with a worker on each end

(in reply to Yamashita)
Post #: 21
RE: Fav AFVs ? - 7/12/2004 7:22:24 PM   
Tequila

quote:

ORIGINAL: Komentaja Nopanen

Every finlandeer out here! You MUST love BT-42.. 114mm gun, oh the sweetness.

BT-42 has only one fault; it's useless.. :P

If the BT-42 had an MG and better armor I would use it more often. Otherwise I'd rather just buy a flametank for causing lots of infantry damage. The only thing saving me in a '42 game against Redleg against his Soviets are my OT-133 flamers. Three shots of flame per turn and 60mm of frontal armor comes in handy against the endless Russian horde. :)

< Message edited by Tequila -- 7/12/2004 5:23:38 PM >

(in reply to Komentaja Nopanen)
Post #: 22
RE: Fav AFVs ? - 7/13/2004 1:12:07 AM   
Smeghead

My Favs:

German:
Panther is the best
JagdPanther
Tiger
PzIII (oh yeah..)
Hezter
Wirblewind (good for aircraft and infantry)

Canadian
RAM tank of course!
APC - Kangaroo (I know it ain't an AFV but must bring it up anyway)

British and American
Firefly - 17 pounder is a great gun
Stuart - lots of MGs is always good for infantry support
Grant & Lee - great tanks. (To see one in action with Humphrey Bogart rent or buy 'Sahara')

Russian
T-35 land battleship - having that many guns and men in a tank is too cool.

Note: my tanks are not picked on being the best killer or fastest or thickest armour. They are picked on being on what I like. Not always a good choice in battle but oh well.

(in reply to Tequila)
Post #: 23
RE: Fav AFVs ? - 7/13/2004 1:40:51 AM   
Goblin

Jagdpanther!

SU-100!

Wolverine!

T34!

M16 SPAA! (hamburger maker!)

M3/M5 Stuart! I love them little guys!

Goblin

< Message edited by Goblin -- 7/12/2004 6:45:38 PM >

(in reply to Smeghead)
Post #: 24
RE: Fav AFVs ? - 7/13/2004 3:36:21 AM   
VikingNo2

Come on Goblin you know you like the M4, with M4s you never lose a German tank round its either in the German tank or in the M4 LOL

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 25
RE: Fav AFVs ? - 7/13/2004 10:09:56 PM   
Flyboy

Bren Carriers: these little suckers were the workhorses of the Commonwealth forces . . .

Bran Carrier ATR also comes mounted with a Bren LMG, AND can also haul a 6 pounder ATG, which means it can move AT guns through rough terrain, and provide good security for them once they're dismounted.

There's the Bren Carrier FO as well, which is the cheapest tracked FO in the game, if memory serves. Its armour compares to the German Beob, and its Bren gun is great for suppressing enemy infantry.

Not a tank, or course, but for bang-for-buck, I can see why the Brits, Canadians, Indians and ANZACS bought 200,000 of the suckers in WWII.

(in reply to VikingNo2)
Post #: 26
RE: Fav AFVs ? - 7/14/2004 12:00:04 AM   
Goblin

quote:

ORIGINAL: VikingNo2

Come on Goblin you know you like the M4, with M4s you never lose a German tank round its either in the German tank or in the M4 LOL

Lol, too true.

Goblin

(in reply to VikingNo2)
Post #: 27
RE: Fav AFVs ? - 7/14/2004 11:13:44 AM   
Tuli Vapaa

Played a PBEM game against a fellow, who tought me all kinds of things about British armor.

It's amzing what you can do with Cromwells, 3" mortar tracks and AEC III armored cars. I just love them.

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 28
RE: Fav AFVs ? - 7/14/2004 8:46:48 PM   
Yamashita

My new Fav is the PIVC. Just took out a T34 at one hex with an HE shell!??!

Had 2 PzIIIs pour 6 shots each into the sides of the beast from one hex with little effect. Then bang crew destroyed by the humble little PIV.

Quite a relief.

(in reply to Tuli Vapaa)
Post #: 29
RE: Fav AFVs ? - 7/15/2004 2:04:07 AM   
Smeghead

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flyboy
Bren Carriers: these little suckers were the workhorses of the Commonwealth forces . . .
Bran Carrier ATR also comes mounted with a Bren LMG, AND can also haul a 6 pounder ATG, which means it can move AT guns through rough terrain, and provide good security for them once they're dismounted.
There's the Bren Carrier FO as well, which is the cheapest tracked FO in the game, if memory serves. Its armour compares to the German Beob, and its Bren gun is great for suppressing enemy infantry.
Not a tank, or course, but for bang-for-buck, I can see why the Brits, Canadians, Indians and ANZACS bought 200,000 of the suckers in WWII.

Too true, always take Bren carriers when in the allied role!

(in reply to Flyboy)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Fav AFVs ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI