Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Why was Patton so great?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Why was Patton so great? Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/13/2004 3:47:39 AM   
Von Rom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Golf33

quote:

ORIGINAL: Von Rom

You make vacuuous comments assuming what they have written is the TRUTH just because I don't respond to them?

Sur

No, I simply object to your claim that 'everyone' supports you when this is palpably untrue.

Regards

When I say everyone, I am referring to almost all the Allied leaders, many of the high ranking German officers, and a great many writers and historians.

(in reply to Golf33)
Post #: 181
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/13/2004 3:56:36 AM   
Von Rom

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Golf33

quote:

You make vacuuous comments assuming what they have written is the TRUTH just because I don't respond to them?

Sur

No, I simply object to your claim that 'everyone' supports you when this is palpably untrue.

Regards

When I say everyone, I am referring to almost all the Allied leaders, many of the high ranking German officers, and a great many writers and historians.

For example:

German Officers Praise General Patton:

Here are some comments about Patton by high ranking German Officers:

The Germans respected Patton’s strategy and admired its genius, calling him the Allies' "most modern" commander.

1) German Major General Schimpf of the 3rd Paratroop Division called Patton’s campaign in the Palatinate "phenomenal."

2) Rommel wrote that, "We had to wait until the Patton Army in France to see the most astonishing achievements in mobile warfare."

3) von Rundstedt simply called Patton our "best."

4) General Fritz Bayerlain, the able commander of the Panzer Lehr Division and a veteran of North Africa, assesses the escape of Rommel's Panzer Armee Afrika after Alamein: "I do not think General Patton would have let us get away so easily (as Monty had)" (D'Este, p.815).

5) HASSO VON MANTEUFFEL (1897 - 1978) - von Manteuffel became the Commander-in-Chief of 5th Panzer Army and received the rank of General of the Panzer Troops. In December of 1944, Hasso Von Manteuffel was the commander of 5th Panzer Army, which was ordered to drive across the Meuse to Brussels and Antwerp, protecting the flank of 6th Panzer Army. During the Battle of the Bulge, 5th Panzer Army won tremendous victories and almost succeeded in breaking the Allied lines of defence. On December 16, 1970 Manteuffel praised his old adversary, Gen. George S. Patton. In part: "...General Patton was a master of lightning warfare and the best commander in this reference. Evidence of his excellent command and control of an army are the campaign in Sicily, the break-out in Brittany 1944 and during the Battle of the Bulge Dec. 1944..."

Eisenhower Praises Patton:

1) In his book Crusade in Europe, Eisenhower praises Patton’s mobility in Sicily: "Speed requires training, fitness, confidence, morale, suitable transport, and skillful leadership. Patton employed these tactics relentlessly, and thus not only minimized casualties but shook the whole Italian Government so forcibly that Mussolini toppled from his position in late July."

2) Also in a letter to Marshall, Eisenhower praised Patton’s "native shrewdness about logistics…and as a truly aggressive commander with brains."

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 182
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/13/2004 4:05:27 AM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ludovic Coval

Von Rom,

quote:

Guess who won at the Bulge - Patton

Probably not. Patton 3rd Army played an important role in bulge reduction but it was 1st Army that took the blow and fought the whole affair. Initial keys decisions were done by V, VIII corps commanders and divisions (sending of 7th AD to St Vith, stubborn defense of 4th and 28th ID, even taking account of 106th 'failure'). It was also Ike itself that sent 82d and 101st AB to Ardennes as early than 17th December. The last German effort around Celles by a combination of 5th PZA and 6th SS PZA was countered by 1st Army not 3rd. Patton did a remarkable work once called for by Ike, still he was planning his own offensive to avoid 3rd Army units to be sent to the north. He was upset that 10th AD was took from him to VIII Corps, finally a wise decision form either Ike or Bradley as with 7th and remnants of 9th AD, Americans force could only count on three armored division for almost first week of offensive. The British XXX Corps also played a key role guarding Meuse northwest crossings, freeing US units to be engaged in another place (especially 3rd AD and 30th ID).

LC

Heheh

I know

I was just being factitious

Cheers!

Are you now saying Patton didn't actually win the battle of the bulge?

Regards,
IronDuke

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 183
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/13/2004 4:44:30 AM   
Von Rom

quote:

ORIGINAL: IronDuke

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ludovic Coval

Von Rom,

quote:

Guess who won at the Bulge - Patton

Probably not. Patton 3rd Army played an important role in bulge reduction but it was 1st Army that took the blow and fought the whole affair. Initial keys decisions were done by V, VIII corps commanders and divisions (sending of 7th AD to St Vith, stubborn defense of 4th and 28th ID, even taking account of 106th 'failure'). It was also Ike itself that sent 82d and 101st AB to Ardennes as early than 17th December. The last German effort around Celles by a combination of 5th PZA and 6th SS PZA was countered by 1st Army not 3rd. Patton did a remarkable work once called for by Ike, still he was planning his own offensive to avoid 3rd Army units to be sent to the north. He was upset that 10th AD was took from him to VIII Corps, finally a wise decision form either Ike or Bradley as with 7th and remnants of 9th AD, Americans force could only count on three armored division for almost first week of offensive. The British XXX Corps also played a key role guarding Meuse northwest crossings, freeing US units to be engaged in another place (especially 3rd AD and 30th ID).

LC

Heheh

I know

I was just being factitious

Cheers!

Are you now saying Patton didn't actually win the battle of the bulge?

Regards,
IronDuke

Anyone who has read about the Battle of the Bulge knows it was a group effort.

Patton broke through to relieve Bastogne. . .

I have never, nor has any writer I am ware of, claimed that Patton (all by himself) won the Bulge.

Sometimes I just try to tickle your funny bone

(in reply to IronDuke_slith)
Post #: 184
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/13/2004 4:44:43 AM   
IronDuke_slith

Have you coped these into the record on an earlier page? Weren't we treated to this enlightenment on page 5?

quote:

Here are more views by a wide variety of writers about the decision to stop Patton from closing the Falaise Gap:

The Falaise Pocket

World War II Allied Encriclement of the German Armies. Failure or Success of the Allied Leadership and Planning?

Authors: DeLauder, Braden P.; MARINE CORPS COMMAND AND STAFF COLL QUANTICO VA

Abstract: By August 1944, the Allies had broken out of the Normandy beachhead and were rapidly exploiting a breakthrough in the German lines. In early August, Hitler ordered a heavy single pronged attack to the west to cut off the US forces to the south. Bradley recognized this as an opportunity to encircle the German Army in France. By turning Patton's Third Army, in the south, north towards Argentan, Bradley formed the lower jaw of a pincer movement while Montgomery ordered Crerar's First Canadian Army south to push towards Falaise to form the upper jaw. Connecting the Allied armies between Falaise and Argentan would completely surround the German army. To the north, Montgomery's forces struggled to push south against the German defensive line. Patton's Third Army, in concert with the XIX Tactical Air Command, was making extremely rapid progress. bate on the 12th of August, Bradley stopped Patton's forces from moving north of Argentan. The decision to stop Third Army's movement north allowed many German personnel to escape from the Falaise pocket. The failure of the Allied forces to close the Falaise Gap was the result of lack of communication directly linked to the type of personalities of the commanders.

http://www.stormingmedia.us/05/0593/A059304.html

No discussion of German resistance around Argentan, or the fierce firefights between first Army and German forces retreating from Mortain in the days before 3rd Army reached Argentan. No discussion of the vulnerability of Haislips troops out on a limb as they were. He does not stop to consider these items (if only to dismiss them). He also states the problems were caused by lack of communication. Bradley ordered Patton to stop, where is the communication problem there? Patton got the order and stopped. No discussion of the long versus short hook controversy either. He also seems to fall victim to this number being bandied about that 75000 Germans excaped. I'm fairly sure Blumenson, D'Este and Hastings put the numbers closer to 20000, most of who'm got out with just the shirt on their back. Many of the escapees, who Patton could not have stopped were the rear area troops. I understand about 100 tanks reached safety out of some 10 Panzer Divisons (if memory serves) whose total TOE (roughly guestimated and rounding down a little) would have been over 1500 tanks plus assault guns.

quote:

In August 1944 Lt. Gen. Omar N. Bradley, commanding the 12th U.S. Army Group, abruptly halted the advance of the XV Corps of Lt. Gen. George S. Patton's Third Army. He thus prevented its movement northward through Argentan toward a juncture with Canadian forces coming south from Caen toward Falaise. As a consequence, the Allies failed to close the Argentan-Falaise pocket. The virtually surrounded German forces in Normandy, escaping through the Argentan-Falaise gap, avoided complete encirclement and almost certain destruction.

Why General Bradley made his decision and whether he was correct are questions that have stirred discussion ever since World War II.

http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/books/70-7_17.htm

Merely stating the obvious, the question has stirred discussion ever since. When you look at what actually happened to the German army, though, it was wasn't far short of destruction, so I feel he's making more of this than is required.

quote:

When Patton died, an “official history” was indeed agreed upon and corroborated by Bradley, Eisenhower and Montgomery. They blamed each other for various aspects, but in the main part lied about the true cause of each’s largest disasters: Market Garden, Caen, Hurtgen, the Battle of the Bulge, the failure to capture Berlin, the failure to keep all of the armies supplied, the failure to take Prague, the failure to close off the Falaise Gap and seal the fate of the 11 divisions trapped there; each had an “official” cause, an “official” whipping boy. Documents from each of these episodes were fudged while others were removed, destroyed and tampered with; and the generals corroborated each others stories in their memoirs.

The reason why the generals cooperated so well on this issue was because each of them had made mistakes. Each had committed an atrocious disaster which they felt had to be kept from public knowledge. Only one general, Patton, had never lost thousands of men on a hopelessly mismanaged mission, and thus only he was above corruption. If a spiteful general were to bring up the Battle of Metz, the Third’s most bloody battle, Patton could counter that there were 3 dead Germans to 1 dead American, even in that desperate battle. And the Battle for Metz would never be investigated because investigation would only uncover the damning evidence of SHAEF’s decision to starve the Third Army, and Com Z’s negligence and wastefulness in keeping the armies supplied.

http://www.pattonuncovered.com/html/chapter.html

This is Patton uncovered, a work discredited by D'Este in "Decision in Normandy". It strikes me as about as unbalanced a piece as it is possible to write. No competent or even incompetent writer could believe that Eisenhower and Montgomery agreed an official version of events between them after the war. Have you actually read what they said about each other after the war? As Ambrose said, Eisenhower's response to Monty's memoirs was to try and get two weeks off being President of the United States in order to write a point by point rebuttal. This is borderline paranoia and not history at all.

quote:

Yet the deepest problem with A Soldier's Life is that it really is not a soldier's life. One could make the argument that on key occasions—the approach to Brest, the closing of the Falaise Gap, the crossing of the Seine River, the August race to the Siegfried Line, the initial desire to go much deeper to the rear of the Bulge, and the decision to stop before Prague—thousands of lives might have been saved had superiors ceded to Patton's judgment. Such controversial and monumental decisions affected an entire theater; yet they warrant only a few pages in Hirshson's account and are overshadowed by stories of Patton's purported liaisons, insensitive language, and blinkered class biases. In lieu of in-depth military analysis, we get a few extended quotations from Chester Wilmot, B.H. Liddell Hart, and S.L.A. Marshall—none of whom is known for consistency, fairness, or sympathy to Patton.

http://victorhanson.com/Curiosities/Patton.html

More decent writers rubbished because they didn't like Patton. Liddell Hart is often stated (but not usually by me) as one of the Father's of modern armoured warfare. Why would his opinion of the great armoured commander not be valid?

I don't know Hanson, except his bio lists him as a professor of Classics. His review of Hirshon's work also relates that most of Hirshon's criticisms were derived from a new source, General Wood, who commanded Patton's 4th Armoured. Anyone have a precis of these criticisms, I haven't come across them.

quote:

Unlike the Falaise Gap in the West, where a too-cautious Bradley again did need heed Patton's calls to allow him to drive ahead and seal the trap shut, the Soviet commanders did not make the same mistake. No one got out of the Minsk pocket. The swamps and forests of Belorussia became a huge killing zone as Red Army forces and their partisan auxiliaries took their overdue but thorough revenge.

http://216.239.41.104/search?q=cache:MpbkUDi6pb4J:washingtontimes.com/upi-breaking/20040604-105429-7659r.htm+patton+falaise+gap&hl=en&lr=lang_en

I'm not sure what this article is. It lookks like journalism. The main thrust of the article is that nothing done in the west was very big at all. It suggests Patton's mad dash across France worked because there were no Germans standing in his way. Leaving aside some of the generalisations about Russian operational doctrine, it actually says very little about Patton. It also has no depth whatsoever, so it's difficult to know why the author writes what he does.

quote:

D'Este's portrayal of some of the other leading figures in World War II is most revealing. Contrary to his popular designation as "the GI General" (thanks to the work of Ernie Pyle), General Omar Bradley, who would later win five stars and a rank as General of the Army, is shown to be quite mercurial and a martinet. Contrary to what was shown in Patton, Bradley despised Patton, and sought to undercut him at every turn. When Bradley and Patton were allies, it was mostly out of convenience--at times when Bradley did not know Patton well enough to dislike him, or when Bradley and Patton had a mutual interest in opposing the actions of Field Marshal Sir Bernard Law Montgomery. While Patton was feared as a tough boss, it was actually Bradley who sacked more commanders under his authority, while Patton was in favor of letting his commanders have more of a chance to prove themselves. And Bradley is severely criticized for his indecision and timidity as a commander, particularly in his performance at the Battle of the Falaise Gap--a battle where Patton's genius for warfare and boldness in command would have likely served the Allies better.

http://www.pejmanesque.com/archives/002773.html

I had a look at this site, you mysteriously forgot to quote this paragraph which was located just above the one you have quoted. I have kindly reproduced it below.

quote:

Of course, Patton did commit some terrible and astonishing blunders as an American military commander. As D'Este points out, Patton's extensive study of military history should have alerted him to the folly of conducting siege warfare during the Lorraine campaign--when Third Army's rapid progress came to a near complete halt thanks to dreadful weather conditions, and Patton's inability to adjust to them. While the target city of Metz eventually fell to Third Army, Patton's leadership was scorned as "weak and timid," and cited as the major reason why German forces were able to hold out so long. Then there was the raid on a German POW camp in Hammelburg--a raid which cost many American lives due to poor planning and execution, and which was likely conducted because Patton learned that Lt. Col. John Knight Waters--Patton's son-in-law--was interned at the camp.

Next:

quote:

Questionable leadership and strategy were abundant during these operations, but never was the courage and bravery of the Canadian soldier questioned. Problems were not limited to the Canadians though. The German counterattack at Mortain can only be considered a monumental failure. Bradley stopping Patton at Argentan was the classic error committed in the Normandy campaign. In protecting the strong, fresh American army which could have been in Falaise a day or two after they reached Argentan, Bradley lost a chance for a quick conclusion to the campaign.

http://www.nwha.org/news_2Q2003/news_page5.html

This one comes from a re-enactors website. The pictures are nice if you go to the next page.

quote:

George S. Patton was a disaster as a proconsul in postwar Bavaria. Yet Eisenhower and Bradley — nicer, steadier, and more judicious men both — failed to close the Falaise Gap, unwisely restrained Patton at the Seine River and near the German border, and employed orthodoxy, not creativity, at the Battle of the Bulge. Thank God that both of them, and not Patton, later became fixtures of American government; but weep for the thousands of GIs dead because they, and not Patton, ruled the American battlefield in Europe.

http://www.nationalreview.com/hanson/hansonprint011102.html

More from our friend Hanson. This paragraph comes from an article about the war on terror. No analysis, literally just what has been produced. It isn't evidence.

quote:

Yenne also briefly addresses the controversial decision to halt Patton’s columns at Falaise and wait for the Canadian First Army to close the encirclement of the bulk of the German Seventh Army that COBRA and the eventual British-Canadian breakout produced. Eventually, Bradley was ready to change his mind just as the Canadian forces broke through to close the gap. Ostensibly, the decision was made in order to avoid fratricide between the two converging Allied armies. Had Patton been allowed to continue, the Falaise Gap would have probably been closed in hours rather than days. As it was, tens of thousands of German troops escaped during the delay.

http://members.aol.com/TFGrantel/books/cobra.html

This is a wargamer, I think, reviewing a book that he clearly demonstrates is full of factual errors elsewhere in this short piece. I turned off where he said that the decision was made to avoid fratricide. Bradley's opinions are a matter of record as to why he did it. I'm not aware of any serious historian who believes this to be the case.

quote:

But by that time, what could have been a great encirclement echoing some of the pivotal battles on the Eastern Front had become something less-a victory, but one qualified by the number of German forces that had been able to flee through the gap. The fact that enemy forces did escape outraged American commanders, from the even-tempered Eisenhower and Bradley to the mercurial Patton. They saw it as yet another example of bad generalship by Montgomery, who pressured the pocket's western end, squeezing the Germans out eastward like a tube of toothpaste, rather than capping the open gap. Patton, ever aggressive, pleaded with Bradley for clearance to cut across the narrow gap, in front of retreating German forces, from Argentan north to Falaise. But Bradley wisely demurred, recognizing that the outnumbered Americans might be "trampled" by the German divisions racing for the gap. "I much preferred," Bradley recollected subsequently, "a solid shoulder at Argentan to the possibility of a broken neck at Falaise."

http://www.ehistory.com/wwii/books/d-day1944/0035.cfm

Didn't bother to read this as it supports me. It looks more detailed than the others, though.

quote:

Featherston, a journalist with the Durham, N.C., Herald-Sun , reviews the controversy over Gen. Omar Bradley's failure to close the gap, a measure that would have encircled large German formations in France and shortened the war. Two German armies escaped through the so-called Falaise Gap but, as the author points out, the Allies took 50,000 prisoners and counted 10,000 enemy dead.

http://216.239.41.104/search?q=cache:aldkXZT02O0J:www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0891416625%3Fv%3Dglance+failure+to+close+the+falaise+gap&hl=en&lr=lang_en

Another one that demonstrates that Falaise wasn't actually all that bad.

quote:

Blumenson points out that, though Bradley created the opportunity to destroy much of the German armored force west of the Seine, he marched to the Army Group boundary and waited. In the meantime, the Canadians found the going hard and could not close the gap between themselves and the Americans. Instead of requesting a boundary change and attacking to close the gap, Bradley shifted part of XV Corps, which had reached the boundary south of Argentan, east toward the Seine. Thus, on August 17, at the moment of crisis, U.S. side forces were not positioned to close the gap, and the Canadians still had not reached the boundary. Without spelling it out, Blumenson arrays the facts and demonstrates clearly that the Allies missed an opportunity. In the end, confusion on both sides, an uncharacteristic lack of supervision by Montgomery, Bradley's movement toward the Seine and determined efforts by the Germans produced the first phase of what the Germans called the Miracle in the West.

http://www.ausa.org/www/armymag.nsf/(reviews)/20014?OpenDocument

Blumenson is a little more complicated than this, but this author doesn't suggest Patton could have closed the gap, because Bradley moved him onto the Seine. He doesn't support anyone.

quote:

The Germans now tried to stop the allies’ advance. Against his generals’ advice, Hitler ordered 11 of his best divisions to attack the allies. Patton then went in one huge sweep behind all of the German armies, encircling them between two cities, known as Falaise and Argentan. Patton’s Third Army was at Falaise, and Montgomery’s 21st Army Group was north of Argentan.

In one of the most stupid decisions of the war, Patton was ordered to halt at Falaise and wait for Montgomery to close the gap between the two cities. It took Montgomery 2 weeks to close the gap, during which most of the German divisions escaped. Had Patton been allowed to close the gap, the war would have ended in August 1944. There would have never been an “East Germany” and a Communist dominated Eastern Europe. Thousands of Jewish lives would also have been saved.

http://www.barbaraboland.com/_wsn/page3.html

Our old friend the General Patton homepage.

Also nonsense. Patton's third Army wasn't at Falaise, it was outside Argentan and then just his XV Corp was positioned outside it. His other Corp was initially miles away.

Kevinugly also makes some very relevant comments about the division of Germany and the state of the German divisions inside the Falaise pocket. This description has little basis in reality.

quote:

Operations Tractable and Cobra's pursuit are splendid examples of Allied armor at its operational best and strategic worst. Despite inspiring accomplishments by individual divisions and corps, the dynamic maneuver and total victory offered by Patton's U.S. Third Army were to be rejected by the conservative Bradley.

http://stonebooks.com/archives/010916.shtml

The one book that may be salvageable from the list, although it's a review so impossible to know what the author is saaying in it's entireity. He does say, though:

quote:

In general, Axis and Allied armies mirrored basic principles, but the Germans were considered better led

He evidently doesn't consider Patton a genius.

quote:

While Patton and Manton Eddy stumbled in Lorraine,

He also repeats the nonsense about Monty being responsible for Falaise, which rather puts me off, although since his book is essentially about the employment of armour, he might be forgiven for stumbling himself on operational matters. There is also an interesting link contained within this review to another book about Patton, this time focusing on the fighting in Lorraine. The reviewer writes:

quote:

Rickard acknowledges Patton's strengths and often highlights occasions on which Patton's perception of the larger campaign -- and his plans for exploiting the situation -- made more sense than the plans of superiors. Still, in what is mostly a fair and balanced analysis, Patton receives considerable criticism for his handling of the Lorraine campaign and the costly, clumsy initial attacks against Metz in particular. Among Rickard's verdicts:

Patton failed to heed intelligence warnings of enemy capabilities
He continued to rely on failed plans after they had proved unworkable
On a number of occasions he failed to clearly state his intentions and coordinate his subordinates
He neglected to take into account his own shortages of manpower, equipment, and air support
He incorrectly maintained his focus on assaulting Metz rather than masking it
In summary:

Patton was still on probation [after the slapping incidents in Sicily] when he entered Lorraine... Eisenhower still deemed it essential that he be kept under control. Bradley was Patton's greatest restraint....
The result was caution on Patton's part....

Although he regained some of his swagger after the success of the Normandy campaign, Patton certainly never brought his full improvisational style to bear in Lorraine. But excuses cannot be made for his failure to make sound tactical decisions. His difficulties were produced by a failure to sometimes face the obvious but also due to the incompatibility of his established battle philosophy with battle conditions in Lorraine, particularly his concepts of minimal interference and utilization of speed. However, had he not abandoned his most cherished concept, that of avoiding the enemy's main strength, his operations might have been far more successful.

Rickard's is a very analytical, somewhat dry account of Patton's decision-making in Lorraine. Some readers who consider Patton a genius and a hero might feel he is unfairly tarnished here, but most students of the war will welcome this detailed re-evaluation of a less spectacular aspect of the general's career. Also features some very comprehensive order of battle information plus data on casualties, replacements, and equipment losses in the appendices.

Recommended.

Regards,
IronDuke

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 185
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/13/2004 5:07:56 AM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

Heheh

Most of the reviews about Whiting say he is a poor writer - heheh

Can't you read?

Those reviews do all the talking for me.

When some who claims to be an historian (and who you quote), writes a book criticzing Patton, and also turns out to use another name to write pulp fiction novels praising the SS, then I will take a second look at him.

You seem to be highly critical of Patton or anyone pro-Patton, but Whiting's many writing lives seems to suit you just fine.

That tells me a great deal about your critical thinking skills. Heheh

Nooo, you're not critical of Patton, whatsoever. . .

< Message edited by Von Rom -- 7/13/2004 1:22:49 AM >

To be fair to him, he is a notch above your websites. Do you not see the complete lack of critical thinking throughout Patton's Homepage. At one point they say:

quote:

Here are examples from Montgomery’s life that prove that Montgomery was a bitter, vindictive man with an ambition that far outpaced his talents.

One of the examples is that as a young man, he played practical jokes, one of which went wrong and a student got hurt!

Re my critical thinking skills, with respect, I am the one who has consistently cited the best available sources, you are the one who has gone to superficial websites. I believe critical thinking on Normandy requires reading D'Este, Hastings and the others I have cited, not typing the word Falaise into Google. You may have no desire or time to read everything, but if this is the case, why be so adamnant you are right?

I have described the individual encounters (the fighting around Falaise, the drive on Bastogne, Lorraine, Metz, Sicily and why I think you are wrong) you have quoted large extracts from often questionable websites in a quite selective way. You have never ventured to discuss operational detail, which is a shame, because it is the easiest way to sort this out.

I have quoted six or seven major historians, of who'm you've seen fit to criticise one. Your criticism is effectively that if he is a serious historian, he wouldn't be writing war novels. How is it our business how he makes a living? He has been writing for fifty years, and probably needed the money, I suspect he made more as Kessler than he did as Whiting. As I've said, he is 0.1% of my case, yet you have spent two pages arguing about him and ignoring the 99.9% of my case that is made up of a study of D'Este etc.

Are the major historians I have cited also lacking in critical thinking because they have agreed with me and criticised Patton?

Respect and regards,
IronDuke

(in reply to Kevinugly)
Post #: 186
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/13/2004 5:12:07 AM   
Von Rom

quote:

Have you coped these into the record on an earlier page? Weren't we treated to this enlightenment on page 5?

quote:

Here are more views by a wide variety of writers about the decision to stop Patton from closing the Falaise Gap:

The Falaise Pocket

World War II Allied Encriclement of the German Armies. Failure or Success of the Allied Leadership and Planning?

Authors: DeLauder, Braden P.; MARINE CORPS COMMAND AND STAFF COLL QUANTICO VA

Abstract: By August 1944, the Allies had broken out of the Normandy beachhead and were rapidly exploiting a breakthrough in the German lines. In early August, Hitler ordered a heavy single pronged attack to the west to cut off the US forces to the south. Bradley recognized this as an opportunity to encircle the German Army in France. By turning Patton's Third Army, in the south, north towards Argentan, Bradley formed the lower jaw of a pincer movement while Montgomery ordered Crerar's First Canadian Army south to push towards Falaise to form the upper jaw. Connecting the Allied armies between Falaise and Argentan would completely surround the German army. To the north, Montgomery's forces struggled to push south against the German defensive line. Patton's Third Army, in concert with the XIX Tactical Air Command, was making extremely rapid progress. bate on the 12th of August, Bradley stopped Patton's forces from moving north of Argentan. The decision to stop Third Army's movement north allowed many German personnel to escape from the Falaise pocket. The failure of the Allied forces to close the Falaise Gap was the result of lack of communication directly linked to the type of personalities of the commanders.

http://www.stormingmedia.us/05/0593/A059304.html

No discussion of German resistance around Argentan, or the fierce firefights between first Army and German forces retreating from Mortain in the days before 3rd Army reached Argentan. No discussion of the vulnerability of Haislips troops out on a limb as they were. He does not stop to consider these items (if only to dismiss them). He also states the problems were caused by lack of communication. Bradley ordered Patton to stop, where is the communication problem there? Patton got the order and stopped. No discussion of the long versus short hook controversy either. He also seems to fall victim to this number being bandied about that 75000 Germans excaped. I'm fairly sure Blumenson, D'Este and Hastings put the numbers closer to 20000, most of who'm got out with just the shirt on their back. Many of the escapees, who Patton could not have stopped were the rear area troops. I understand about 100 tanks reached safety out of some 10 Panzer Divisons (if memory serves) whose total TOE (roughly guestimated and rounding down a little) would have been over 1500 tanks plus assault guns.

quote:

In August 1944 Lt. Gen. Omar N. Bradley, commanding the 12th U.S. Army Group, abruptly halted the advance of the XV Corps of Lt. Gen. George S. Patton's Third Army. He thus prevented its movement northward through Argentan toward a juncture with Canadian forces coming south from Caen toward Falaise. As a consequence, the Allies failed to close the Argentan-Falaise pocket. The virtually surrounded German forces in Normandy, escaping through the Argentan-Falaise gap, avoided complete encirclement and almost certain destruction.

Why General Bradley made his decision and whether he was correct are questions that have stirred discussion ever since World War II.

http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/books/70-7_17.htm

Merely stating the obvious, the question has stirred discussion ever since. When you look at what actually happened to the German army, though, it was wasn't far short of destruction, so I feel he's making more of this than is required.

quote:

When Patton died, an “official history” was indeed agreed upon and corroborated by Bradley, Eisenhower and Montgomery. They blamed each other for various aspects, but in the main part lied about the true cause of each’s largest disasters: Market Garden, Caen, Hurtgen, the Battle of the Bulge, the failure to capture Berlin, the failure to keep all of the armies supplied, the failure to take Prague, the failure to close off the Falaise Gap and seal the fate of the 11 divisions trapped there; each had an “official” cause, an “official” whipping boy. Documents from each of these episodes were fudged while others were removed, destroyed and tampered with; and the generals corroborated each others stories in their memoirs.

The reason why the generals cooperated so well on this issue was because each of them had made mistakes. Each had committed an atrocious disaster which they felt had to be kept from public knowledge. Only one general, Patton, had never lost thousands of men on a hopelessly mismanaged mission, and thus only he was above corruption. If a spiteful general were to bring up the Battle of Metz, the Third’s most bloody battle, Patton could counter that there were 3 dead Germans to 1 dead American, even in that desperate battle. And the Battle for Metz would never be investigated because investigation would only uncover the damning evidence of SHAEF’s decision to starve the Third Army, and Com Z’s negligence and wastefulness in keeping the armies supplied.

http://www.pattonuncovered.com/html/chapter.html

This is Patton uncovered, a work discredited by D'Este in "Decision in Normandy". It strikes me as about as unbalanced a piece as it is possible to write. No competent or even incompetent writer could believe that Eisenhower and Montgomery agreed an official version of events between them after the war. Have you actually read what they said about each other after the war? As Ambrose said, Eisenhower's response to Monty's memoirs was to try and get two weeks off being President of the United States in order to write a point by point rebuttal. This is borderline paranoia and not history at all.

quote:

Yet the deepest problem with A Soldier's Life is that it really is not a soldier's life. One could make the argument that on key occasions—the approach to Brest, the closing of the Falaise Gap, the crossing of the Seine River, the August race to the Siegfried Line, the initial desire to go much deeper to the rear of the Bulge, and the decision to stop before Prague—thousands of lives might have been saved had superiors ceded to Patton's judgment. Such controversial and monumental decisions affected an entire theater; yet they warrant only a few pages in Hirshson's account and are overshadowed by stories of Patton's purported liaisons, insensitive language, and blinkered class biases. In lieu of in-depth military analysis, we get a few extended quotations from Chester Wilmot, B.H. Liddell Hart, and S.L.A. Marshall—none of whom is known for consistency, fairness, or sympathy to Patton.

http://victorhanson.com/Curiosities/Patton.html

More decent writers rubbished because they didn't like Patton. Liddell Hart is often stated (but not usually by me) as one of the Father's of modern armoured warfare. Why would his opinion of the great armoured commander not be valid?

I don't know Hanson, except his bio lists him as a professor of Classics. His review of Hirshon's work also relates that most of Hirshon's criticisms were derived from a new source, General Wood, who commanded Patton's 4th Armoured. Anyone have a precis of these criticisms, I haven't come across them.

quote:

Unlike the Falaise Gap in the West, where a too-cautious Bradley again did need heed Patton's calls to allow him to drive ahead and seal the trap shut, the Soviet commanders did not make the same mistake. No one got out of the Minsk pocket. The swamps and forests of Belorussia became a huge killing zone as Red Army forces and their partisan auxiliaries took their overdue but thorough revenge.

http://216.239.41.104/search?q=cache:MpbkUDi6pb4J:washingtontimes.com/upi-breaking/20040604-105429-7659r.htm+patton+falaise+gap&hl=en&lr=lang_en

I'm not sure what this article is. It lookks like journalism. The main thrust of the article is that nothing done in the west was very big at all. It suggests Patton's mad dash across France worked because there were no Germans standing in his way. Leaving aside some of the generalisations about Russian operational doctrine, it actually says very little about Patton. It also has no depth whatsoever, so it's difficult to know why the author writes what he does.

quote:

D'Este's portrayal of some of the other leading figures in World War II is most revealing. Contrary to his popular designation as "the GI General" (thanks to the work of Ernie Pyle), General Omar Bradley, who would later win five stars and a rank as General of the Army, is shown to be quite mercurial and a martinet. Contrary to what was shown in Patton, Bradley despised Patton, and sought to undercut him at every turn. When Bradley and Patton were allies, it was mostly out of convenience--at times when Bradley did not know Patton well enough to dislike him, or when Bradley and Patton had a mutual interest in opposing the actions of Field Marshal Sir Bernard Law Montgomery. While Patton was feared as a tough boss, it was actually Bradley who sacked more commanders under his authority, while Patton was in favor of letting his commanders have more of a chance to prove themselves. And Bradley is severely criticized for his indecision and timidity as a commander, particularly in his performance at the Battle of the Falaise Gap--a battle where Patton's genius for warfare and boldness in command would have likely served the Allies better.

http://www.pejmanesque.com/archives/002773.html

I had a look at this site, you mysteriously forgot to quote this paragraph which was located just above the one you have quoted. I have kindly reproduced it below.

quote:

Of course, Patton did commit some terrible and astonishing blunders as an American military commander. As D'Este points out, Patton's extensive study of military history should have alerted him to the folly of conducting siege warfare during the Lorraine campaign--when Third Army's rapid progress came to a near complete halt thanks to dreadful weather conditions, and Patton's inability to adjust to them. While the target city of Metz eventually fell to Third Army, Patton's leadership was scorned as "weak and timid," and cited as the major reason why German forces were able to hold out so long. Then there was the raid on a German POW camp in Hammelburg--a raid which cost many American lives due to poor planning and execution, and which was likely conducted because Patton learned that Lt. Col. John Knight Waters--Patton's son-in-law--was interned at the camp.

Next:

quote:

Questionable leadership and strategy were abundant during these operations, but never was the courage and bravery of the Canadian soldier questioned. Problems were not limited to the Canadians though. The German counterattack at Mortain can only be considered a monumental failure. Bradley stopping Patton at Argentan was the classic error committed in the Normandy campaign. In protecting the strong, fresh American army which could have been in Falaise a day or two after they reached Argentan, Bradley lost a chance for a quick conclusion to the campaign.

http://www.nwha.org/news_2Q2003/news_page5.html

This one comes from a re-enactors website. The pictures are nice if you go to the next page.

quote:

George S. Patton was a disaster as a proconsul in postwar Bavaria. Yet Eisenhower and Bradley — nicer, steadier, and more judicious men both — failed to close the Falaise Gap, unwisely restrained Patton at the Seine River and near the German border, and employed orthodoxy, not creativity, at the Battle of the Bulge. Thank God that both of them, and not Patton, later became fixtures of American government; but weep for the thousands of GIs dead because they, and not Patton, ruled the American battlefield in Europe.

http://www.nationalreview.com/hanson/hansonprint011102.html

More from our friend Hanson. This paragraph comes from an article about the war on terror. No analysis, literally just what has been produced. It isn't evidence.

quote:

Yenne also briefly addresses the controversial decision to halt Patton’s columns at Falaise and wait for the Canadian First Army to close the encirclement of the bulk of the German Seventh Army that COBRA and the eventual British-Canadian breakout produced. Eventually, Bradley was ready to change his mind just as the Canadian forces broke through to close the gap. Ostensibly, the decision was made in order to avoid fratricide between the two converging Allied armies. Had Patton been allowed to continue, the Falaise Gap would have probably been closed in hours rather than days. As it was, tens of thousands of German troops escaped during the delay.

http://members.aol.com/TFGrantel/books/cobra.html

This is a wargamer, I think, reviewing a book that he clearly demonstrates is full of factual errors elsewhere in this short piece. I turned off where he said that the decision was made to avoid fratricide. Bradley's opinions are a matter of record as to why he did it. I'm not aware of any serious historian who believes this to be the case.

quote:

But by that time, what could have been a great encirclement echoing some of the pivotal battles on the Eastern Front had become something less-a victory, but one qualified by the number of German forces that had been able to flee through the gap. The fact that enemy forces did escape outraged American commanders, from the even-tempered Eisenhower and Bradley to the mercurial Patton. They saw it as yet another example of bad generalship by Montgomery, who pressured the pocket's western end, squeezing the Germans out eastward like a tube of toothpaste, rather than capping the open gap. Patton, ever aggressive, pleaded with Bradley for clearance to cut across the narrow gap, in front of retreating German forces, from Argentan north to Falaise. But Bradley wisely demurred, recognizing that the outnumbered Americans might be "trampled" by the German divisions racing for the gap. "I much preferred," Bradley recollected subsequently, "a solid shoulder at Argentan to the possibility of a broken neck at Falaise."

http://www.ehistory.com/wwii/books/d-day1944/0035.cfm

Didn't bother to read this as it supports me. It looks more detailed than the others, though.

quote:

Featherston, a journalist with the Durham, N.C., Herald-Sun , reviews the controversy over Gen. Omar Bradley's failure to close the gap, a measure that would have encircled large German formations in France and shortened the war. Two German armies escaped through the so-called Falaise Gap but, as the author points out, the Allies took 50,000 prisoners and counted 10,000 enemy dead.

http://216.239.41.104/search?q=cache:aldkXZT02O0J:www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0891416625%3Fv%3Dglance+failure+to+close+the+falaise+gap&hl=en&lr=lang_en

Another one that demonstrates that Falaise wasn't actually all that bad.

quote:

Blumenson points out that, though Bradley created the opportunity to destroy much of the German armored force west of the Seine, he marched to the Army Group boundary and waited. In the meantime, the Canadians found the going hard and could not close the gap between themselves and the Americans. Instead of requesting a boundary change and attacking to close the gap, Bradley shifted part of XV Corps, which had reached the boundary south of Argentan, east toward the Seine. Thus, on August 17, at the moment of crisis, U.S. side forces were not positioned to close the gap, and the Canadians still had not reached the boundary. Without spelling it out, Blumenson arrays the facts and demonstrates clearly that the Allies missed an opportunity. In the end, confusion on both sides, an uncharacteristic lack of supervision by Montgomery, Bradley's movement toward the Seine and determined efforts by the Germans produced the first phase of what the Germans called the Miracle in the West.

http://www.ausa.org/www/armymag.nsf/(reviews)/20014?OpenDocument

Blumenson is a little more complicated than this, but this author doesn't suggest Patton could have closed the gap, because Bradley moved him onto the Seine. He doesn't support anyone.

quote:

The Germans now tried to stop the allies’ advance. Against his generals’ advice, Hitler ordered 11 of his best divisions to attack the allies. Patton then went in one huge sweep behind all of the German armies, encircling them between two cities, known as Falaise and Argentan. Patton’s Third Army was at Falaise, and Montgomery’s 21st Army Group was north of Argentan.

In one of the most stupid decisions of the war, Patton was ordered to halt at Falaise and wait for Montgomery to close the gap between the two cities. It took Montgomery 2 weeks to close the gap, during which most of the German divisions escaped. Had Patton been allowed to close the gap, the war would have ended in August 1944. There would have never been an “East Germany” and a Communist dominated Eastern Europe. Thousands of Jewish lives would also have been saved.

http://www.barbaraboland.com/_wsn/page3.html

Our old friend the General Patton homepage.

Also nonsense. Patton's third Army wasn't at Falaise, it was outside Argentan and then just his XV Corp was positioned outside it. His other Corp was initially miles away.

Kevinugly also makes some very relevant comments about the division of Germany and the state of the German divisions inside the Falaise pocket. This description has little basis in reality.

quote:

Operations Tractable and Cobra's pursuit are splendid examples of Allied armor at its operational best and strategic worst. Despite inspiring accomplishments by individual divisions and corps, the dynamic maneuver and total victory offered by Patton's U.S. Third Army were to be rejected by the conservative Bradley.

http://stonebooks.com/archives/010916.shtml

The one book that may be salvageable from the list, although it's a review so impossible to know what the author is saaying in it's entireity. He does say, though:

quote:

In general, Axis and Allied armies mirrored basic principles, but the Germans were considered better led

He evidently doesn't consider Patton a genius.

quote:

While Patton and Manton Eddy stumbled in Lorraine,

He also repeats the nonsense about Monty being responsible for Falaise, which rather puts me off, although since his book is essentially about the employment of armour, he might be forgiven for stumbling himself on operational matters. There is also an interesting link contained within this review to another book about Patton, this time focusing on the fighting in Lorraine. The reviewer writes:

quote:

Rickard acknowledges Patton's strengths and often highlights occasions on which Patton's perception of the larger campaign -- and his plans for exploiting the situation -- made more sense than the plans of superiors. Still, in what is mostly a fair and balanced analysis, Patton receives considerable criticism for his handling of the Lorraine campaign and the costly, clumsy initial attacks against Metz in particular. Among Rickard's verdicts:

Patton failed to heed intelligence warnings of enemy capabilities
He continued to rely on failed plans after they had proved unworkable
On a number of occasions he failed to clearly state his intentions and coordinate his subordinates
He neglected to take into account his own shortages of manpower, equipment, and air support
He incorrectly maintained his focus on assaulting Metz rather than masking it
In summary:

Patton was still on probation [after the slapping incidents in Sicily] when he entered Lorraine... Eisenhower still deemed it essential that he be kept under control. Bradley was Patton's greatest restraint....
The result was caution on Patton's part....

Although he regained some of his swagger after the success of the Normandy campaign, Patton certainly never brought his full improvisational style to bear in Lorraine. But excuses cannot be made for his failure to make sound tactical decisions. His difficulties were produced by a failure to sometimes face the obvious but also due to the incompatibility of his established battle philosophy with battle conditions in Lorraine, particularly his concepts of minimal interference and utilization of speed. However, had he not abandoned his most cherished concept, that of avoiding the enemy's main strength, his operations might have been far more successful.

Rickard's is a very analytical, somewhat dry account of Patton's decision-making in Lorraine. Some readers who consider Patton a genius and a hero might feel he is unfairly tarnished here, but most students of the war will welcome this detailed re-evaluation of a less spectacular aspect of the general's career. Also features some very comprehensive order of battle information plus data on casualties, replacements, and equipment losses in the appendices.

Recommended.

Regards,
IronDuke

I reproduced it because it seemed to have been missed.

I have many, many more I can post if you like.

As you can see a wide variety of thinking individuals can read the same histroy and conclude that Bradley's halting of Patton was a BIG mistake, which many Allied soldiers would pay for with their lives.

< Message edited by Von Rom -- 7/13/2004 3:14:12 AM >

Post #: 187
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/13/2004 5:19:13 AM   
Von Rom

quote:

quote:

What youy conveniently lfet out of the equation about the Lorraine campaign is the fact that Patton HAD RUN OUT GAS.

All supplies were being diverted to Monty for Market Garden.

That delay before Metz, through no fault of Patton, led to the Germans reinforcing Metz, which in the end cost more American lives needlessly.

As to the prison camp - he's human - he makes mistakes (albeit small in comparison to those committed by other Allied leaders that cost many lives) - he saw an opportunity to free his son-in-law - so sue him

< Message edited by Von Rom -- 7/13/2004 3:20:44 AM >

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 188
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/13/2004 5:23:57 AM   
Von Rom

For those interested in D'Este's book "Patton A Genius for War":

Author of acclaimed Patton biography to speak at UNT Military History Seminar

DENTON (UNT), Texas A World War II historian and a retired U.S. Air Force general will speak to more than 100 invited business leaders, historians, veterans and others interested in military history at the University of North Texas' 15th annual Military History Seminar, "Military Leadership in Total and Cold War," Oct. 11.

The seminar's first guest speaker, Carlo D'Este, author of the 1995 biography Patton: A Genius for War, consistently receives high praise for his books on World War II. The New York Times Book Review calls his biography of U.S. General George S. Patton "a remarkably good job... . D'Este presents a picture that neither beautifies nor damns his subject."

D'Este will speak on the topic "General Patton's Leadership in Total War" during the morning session of the seminar at UNT's Eagle Student Services Center auditorium.

General Russell Dougherty, U.S. Air Force, retired, and former Commander in Chief of the Strategic Air Command will be the featured speaker during a noon luncheon at the University Union. He will speak on "A General's Perspective: Leadership in the Cold War," rounding out the seminar's theme.

"I am delighted to have these two authoritative figures on hand to mark the 15th anniversary of the Military History Seminars, and I look forward to another dynamic session," said UNT Chancellor Alfred F. Hurley.

Hurley, a military historian and author himself, organizes the annual seminar. A retired brigadier general in the U.S. Air Force, he served as a faculty member and chair of the history department at the U.S. Air Force Academy before joining the UNT's administration in 1980.

UNT News Service Phone Number: (940) 565-2108
Email:

http://web2.unt.edu/news/story.cfm?story=7124

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 189
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/13/2004 5:28:22 AM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

quote:

Whiting is irrelevant to the argument. Bearing in mind that the Pro-Patton sources include the Patton homepage and Patton uncovered I find the criticism of him a little strange and possibly an attempt to get us away from his argument, which is the same argument used by other historians whose credentials have so far not been challenged.

As for:

quote:

As I mentioned, no one has to approach Whiting with a critical mind if they choose not too.

What is interesting is that you chose this man to approach with a critical mind (presumably because he also writes fiction and you felt you could poke fun), if that is the case, fine, I'm happy to withdraw him, (although citing customer reviews from Amazon does not class as expert review in my book) as long as you now analyse the reputations of Weigley, Hastings, D'Este, Ellis and Neillands. What do you know of these people, do they know what they are talking about, which serious historians (not websites, anyone can set one of these up and ramble on) will you cite in opposition to these men. We can then assess reputations and the various arguments.

For the record, as you seem to have brought the Atlantic into it,

quote:

But I fiind it rather odd that people from Britain have diametrically opposed views on this subject vs North Americans.

This difference seems to be due to the books we are reading.

Therefore, the quality of the writer, and the facts they write about, are very important.

I find it interesting that it is Whiting who is writing about this "new" information about the Battle of the Bulge. It is also Whiting that many from the UK are using for their information.

I am just putting this information out there for others to consider.

D'Este and Weigley are North Americans, not British. Whiting had nothing "new" to say about the Bulge, he merely had a new interpretation. The section I quoted was not about an attack he had "discovered" of Patton's, merely he agreed with what a number of distinguished historians had already said. Since I have read many of the above sources in question, and you are yet to confirm which of the standard histories you have read we cannot say with any certainty that...

quote:

As for

quote:

Therefore, the quality of the writer, and the facts they write about, are very important.

I wholeheartedly agree with you, hence my quoting of D'Este, Weigley, Hastings and Ellis etc. If we are fair, you started by quoting extensively from the Patton homepage and Patton uncovered, a site which peddles a book by Rohmer which D'Este discredited in his "Decision in Normandy". D'Este is the historian you think fair and balanced, who wrote the Patton biography, so he isn't some Brit who can be accused of writing rubbish and publishing novels about the Waffen SS under another name.

As I've said, Whiting is a very small cog in my argument, but paying him excessive attention, you give the impression of not wanting to look at the other bigger cogs. I freely withdraw Whiting if it means you will instead move on to the others.

Respect and regards,
IronDuke

Could you make this clearer?

My pleasure:

1. You have criticised the minor historian in my group, but conveniently ignored the most important ones. Why?

2. Can we discuss actual operations to sort this out?

3. You're wrong about the Atlantic. Half my eminent historians are American. People from all countries have problems with General Patton.

4. Why do you say

quote:

and then quote inaccuracies as fundamental as where Patton was at Falaise gap from the Patton fan sites?

5. I will freely withdraw Whiting if you will analyse the reputations of the other Historians I have mentioned.

Regards,
Ironduke

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 190
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/13/2004 5:32:27 AM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

quote:

I don't assume it to be the final truth, merely the best theory and interpretation based on current evidence. I also bring these other authors up to emphasise the weight of quality scholarship that doesn't agree with the "Patton could have won a great victory at Falaise" or the "Patton won the bulge" point of view. History doesn't really provide final truths, just best guesses, and the evidence at the moment makes the above scholars say the things they have, things I have quoted in my support.

I would prefer to shift to the events themselves. Lets discuss Haislip's Corp at Argentan and whether it could have closed the gap, lets analyse Pattons drive on Bastogne and whether he should have made greater progress than he did. We can agree some basic facts (without interpretation) and then debate???
I can say why I think it was unlikely, you can tell me why you think it was likely? Easier than quoting other people extensively.

I would also ask for your comments and thoughts into other parts of his career. The slapping incidents, some of his speeches, the war crimes allegations and the episode at Hammelburg in March 45. I by no means have a negative attitude about him concerning all these incidents, but as the relative lowlights of his career, any discussion of his greatness must take them into account.

Regards,
IronDuke

So what are you trying to say?

1. All history is guesswork, but I have the best informed guessers on my side of the argument.

2. I challenged you to debate the operations at the centre of this argument aspect by aspect. Saying Patton broke through to Bastogne is not enough, lets discuss how he did it, what units he used etc.

3. I asked for you opinion about the slapping incidents, the Hammelburg raid, the war crimes allegations and the speeches.

Regards,
IronDuke

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 191
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/13/2004 5:40:58 AM   
Von Rom

I am presenting this information to show how much Patton is truly admired by people.

General Patton's Principles: For Life and Leadership
by Porter B. Williamson

Customer Reviews

Kicked in the butt, February 1, 2004
Reviewer: theflyinghellfish from Galveston, TX USA
Gen. Patton often proudly stated that "you have to take the enemy by the nose and kick them in the butt". This book is Gen. Patton's Kick in the butt. Most readers know Gen. Patton as "Ole Blood and Guts" or as the general that slapped a soldier. These and other myths about one of America's greatest leaders are dispelled by a soldier who was there! Gen. Patton loved his men and his leadership style revolved around keeping them alive. Learn how Gen. Patton was fourty years ahead and shoulders above by reading this simple account of his philosphies in story that makes you wish you were there. --This text refers to the Unknown Binding edition

Leader? Read this!, October 14, 1999
Reviewer: Micah (see more about me) from Peoria, AZ USA
General Patton is here for the next generation of managers and CEO's. Wonderfully written in a style that made me feel I was there. I lived the experiences Mr Williamson lived with Patton, and I have learned. One of the best 'how to' mgt books available. I only wish I had found it sooner...

The Essential Guide for Leadership, February 12, 1999
Reviewer: A reader from Yorktown, VA
General George S. Patton, Jr. was one of the greatest heroes this country has ever produced. In addition, he was also one of the most misunderstood. Many thought he was hated by his men, but the truth is that his men loved him. Porter B. Williamson served with General Patton in the I Armored Corps in 1942. Although he did not follow Patton across the Atlantic, Williamson had instilled in him the principles that would follow him for the rest of his life. This book is the best collection of the leadership principles and philosophies of General George S. Patton. Minus the profanity that Patton made famous, this book uses many speeches and talks to the troops that exemplify the leadership principles that helped Patton lead his men to victory. This book is highly recommended for anyone in a position of leadership, and is must reading for anyone seeking a management position.

A Great Lesson, December 21, 1998
Reviewer: A reader from Charleston, SC
As a Naval Officer I have read this book well over ten times. It's lessons show the importance of such leadership qualities as honesty, integrity, care for your men, and the importance of being fair. An excellent book for anyone wanting leadership advice. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title

One of the best books on Leadership and on Patton ever writt, May 22, 1998
Reviewer: Ashley LeMay (leeash@supernews.com) from Covallis, Oregon
You have seen the movie, this book takes a look at man behind the myth. Written by Porter B. Williamson who served as an officer under the General only briefly but has lived by Patton's principles ever since. Williamson gives some very rare insight into the complex man and clears Patton's name in the famous South Carolina war games exercise in which the General has been wrongly accused of not following the rules by most of his other biographers.

Required Reading!, October 28, 1997
Reviewer: An Amazon.com Customer
The American Business community would do well to stop looking at college education as a qualification for leadership, and simply quiz applicants by the contents of this book!

Outstanding - to the POINT!, October 13, 1997
Reviewer: jeremy@cyberport.net from Glacier National Park, Montana
Written by the general's personal aide, Porter Williamson was there first hand. A compact paperback that I originally purchased by the dozens to give them as gifts . . . I lost my last edition in a Christmas fire a few years ago. So, if Amazon can locate this Hard-to-Find Classic, I'll probably order another dozen for my safe deposit box! (A MUST read for folks who are blunt). --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0918356067/ref=cm_cr_dp_2_1/002-0421982-5994431?v=glance&s=books&vi=customer-reviews&me=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Von Rom -- 7/13/2004 3:46:23 AM >

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 192
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/13/2004 5:44:14 AM   
Von Rom

quote:

quote:

quote:

Whiting is irrelevant to the argument. Bearing in mind that the Pro-Patton sources include the Patton homepage and Patton uncovered I find the criticism of him a little strange and possibly an attempt to get us away from his argument, which is the same argument used by other historians whose credentials have so far not been challenged.

As for:

quote:

As I mentioned, no one has to approach Whiting with a critical mind if they choose not too.

What is interesting is that you chose this man to approach with a critical mind (presumably because he also writes fiction and you felt you could poke fun), if that is the case, fine, I'm happy to withdraw him, (although citing customer reviews from Amazon does not class as expert review in my book) as long as you now analyse the reputations of Weigley, Hastings, D'Este, Ellis and Neillands. What do you know of these people, do they know what they are talking about, which serious historians (not websites, anyone can set one of these up and ramble on) will you cite in opposition to these men. We can then assess reputations and the various arguments.

For the record, as you seem to have brought the Atlantic into it,

quote:

But I fiind it rather odd that people from Britain have diametrically opposed views on this subject vs North Americans.

I find it interesting that it is Whiting who is writing about this "new" information about the Battle of the Bulge. It is also Whiting that many from the UK are using for their information.

I am just putting this information out there for others to consider.

D'Este and Weigley are North Americans, not British. Whiting had nothing "new" to say about the Bulge, he merely had a new interpretation. The section I quoted was not about an attack he had "discovered" of Patton's, merely he agreed with what a number of distinguished historians had already said. Since I have read many of the above sources in question, and you are yet to confirm which of the standard histories you have read we cannot say with any certainty that...

quote:

As for

quote:

I wholeheartedly agree with you, hence my quoting of D'Este, Weigley, Hastings and Ellis etc. If we are fair, you started by quoting extensively from the Patton homepage and Patton uncovered, a site which peddles a book by Rohmer which D'Este discredited in his "Decision in Normandy". D'Este is the historian you think fair and balanced, who wrote the Patton biography, so he isn't some Brit who can be accused of writing rubbish and publishing novels about the Waffen SS under another name.

As I've said, Whiting is a very small cog in my argument, but paying him excessive attention, you give the impression of not wanting to look at the other bigger cogs. I freely withdraw Whiting if it means you will instead move on to the others.

Respect and regards,
IronDuke

Could you make this clearer?

My pleasure:

1. You have criticised the minor historian in my group, but conveniently ignored the most important ones. Why?

2. Can we discuss actual operations to sort this out?

3. You're wrong about the Atlantic. Half my eminent historians are American. People from all countries have problems with General Patton.

4. Why do you say

quote:

and then quote inaccuracies as fundamental as where Patton was at Falaise gap from the Patton fan sites?

5. I will freely withdraw Whiting if you will analyse the reputations of the other Historians I have mentioned.

Regards,
Ironduke

Whiting's quote was the only one I looked at.

I was surprised by what I found. I am even more surprised that you, claiming that you knew about his other writing, would use him.

Why did you use Whiting if you knew about him, as you claim?

< Message edited by Von Rom -- 7/13/2004 3:50:49 AM >

Post #: 193
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/13/2004 5:49:10 AM   
Von Rom

quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't assume it to be the final truth, merely the best theory and interpretation based on current evidence. I also bring these other authors up to emphasise the weight of quality scholarship that doesn't agree with the "Patton could have won a great victory at Falaise" or the "Patton won the bulge" point of view. History doesn't really provide final truths, just best guesses, and the evidence at the moment makes the above scholars say the things they have, things I have quoted in my support.

I would prefer to shift to the events themselves. Lets discuss Haislip's Corp at Argentan and whether it could have closed the gap, lets analyse Pattons drive on Bastogne and whether he should have made greater progress than he did. We can agree some basic facts (without interpretation) and then debate???
I can say why I think it was unlikely, you can tell me why you think it was likely? Easier than quoting other people extensively.

I would also ask for your comments and thoughts into other parts of his career. The slapping incidents, some of his speeches, the war crimes allegations and the episode at Hammelburg in March 45. I by no means have a negative attitude about him concerning all these incidents, but as the relative lowlights of his career, any discussion of his greatness must take them into account.

Regards,
IronDuke

So what are you trying to say?

1. All history is guesswork, but I have the best informed guessers on my side of the argument.

2. I challenged you to debate the operations at the centre of this argument aspect by aspect. Saying Patton broke through to Bastogne is not enough, lets discuss how he did it, what units he used etc.

3. I asked for you opinion about the slapping incidents, the Hammelburg raid, the war crimes allegations and the speeches.

Regards,
IronDuke

Your comments are highly presumptuous.

Several operations in WW2 are still being contested and argued by some of the best informed people around the world, and you claim to have all the answers?

< Message edited by Von Rom -- 7/13/2004 7:37:48 AM >

Post #: 194
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/13/2004 5:58:06 AM   
Von Rom

Here is an article that examines the importance of leadership and uses Patton as an example.

Reflections on Leadership for Would-Be Commanders

Dr I. B. Holley

(This article was prepared especially for AU-24, Concepts for Air Force Leadership.)

Highly successful leaders aren't born, they are made. And they start working to be leaders very early. The successful careers of such men as Gen George S. Patton or Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, who became legends in their own time, are worth studying closely for what makes a leader. At West Point one can peruse the library of books General Patton collected and read over the course of a lifetime. Many contain his marginal annotations. One of these is of particular interest. Scrawled on the blank flyleaf in Patton's hand one finds under the heading "Qualities of a great general" a list of attributes he had inferred from reading Fieberger's Elements of Strategy. What makes this entry of significance for us is the date, 29 April 1909, after Patton's last class as a cadet at the US Military Academy and before he received his commission as a second lieutenant.1 In short, the pattern is clear: early in his career Patton recognized that the road to command involves not only conscientious effort to study the experience of others but thoughtful reflection on the meaning of that experience.

Several years age this writer was invited to give the dedicatory address on the occasion of General Patton's installation in the Hall of Fame at Fort Leavenworth. In casting about for ideas suitable for the occasion he recalled a most revealing bit of evidence in the published Patton papers. Like many another officer, Patton attended the Command and General Staff School (as it was then called), but unlike most, year after year, following his graduation, he wrote back to the school requesting the current map or tactical problems, the exercises set for the class. He didn't ask for the school solutions but worked them out for himself.2 Here was a true professional, on his own initiative honing his tactical skills against the day when he would lead an army in battle.

http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/au-24/au24-319.htm

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 195
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/13/2004 6:04:52 AM   
Von Rom

This article shows how widely respected Patton is, and that his leadership principles are still studied today.

Book Review: "Patton on Leadership"

Major Matt Heusser, CAP

Patton on Leadership: Strategic Lessons for Corporate Warfare

By Alan Axelrod

In his book, Axelrod focuses on the leadership style of General George Patton and how it relates to leadership and business management. The introduction covers some facts about Gen Patton and his history as a military leader. The book is well organized, with each chapter focusing on a specific aspect of Gen Patton's leadership philosophy. Each chapter has quotes from or about General Patton, and follows with the author's commentary on how to use the General’s advice when managing your business.

Below are some of the main points of Gen Patton's leadership philosophy that can be applied to the cadet program:

Always set the example. If you are a leader, you are setting the tone and attitude of your unit.

"...[Y]our platoon is like a piece of spaghetti. You can't push it. You've got to get out in front and pull it." Always lead from the front:

Basically, never order anyone to do anything you haven't already done, or wouldn't be willing to do right beside your subordinates.

To have an effective team, they must be spirited. To have a spirited team, create a sense of pride in your unit.

Be loyal and respectful of the people you lead and never abuse them or take them for granted.

Admit and learn from your mistakes. Don't try to cover them up or dwell on them.

Encourage people by having confidence in your abilities and also in them. If you allow people to take the initiative you are helping them become a leader as well.

"A commander will command." If you aren't giving orders or making decisions, you aren't commanding.

This book is targeted at business leaders, but any cadet or senior member looking to improve their leadership skills will find this book very useful. Patton’s style answers questions on motivation, discipline, respect, and relationships with subordinates. I found this especially helpful for beginning to develop my own leadership philosophy and realizing what aspects about leadership are important to me and what aspects I can improve upon.

Patton On Leadership is definitely a "must read" for Cadet Officers and Leaders. It teaches that success and efficiency is directly related to the amount of respect and between the leader and the lead. It also provides guidance for decision-making, something a lot of leaders struggle with. Will this book make you a better leader? Perhaps, but only if you put these ideas into practice. So, pick up a copy of this book, start reading, and take some action to improve yourself and your unit!

About the Reviewer

C/2Lt Jessica Bryant is the Cadet Commander of the Washington County Composite Squadron in Oregon, and has been in Civil Air Patrol since that fateful day she saw a group of "kids in uniform" at an air show. Cadet Bryant is mostly involved with her local squadron and the Cadet Program, but is also interested in ES, particularly radio communications. She enjoys reading (about leadership of course!), hiking, camping, sports, and leading people (her new found passion, thanks to CAP). Cadet Bryant is currently a junior in high school and hopes to become an officer in the U.S. Air Force after college. If this review has in any way affected your life you can express your gratitude by sending a donation to the United Shrunken Heads of America foundation. "Small heads unite to get ahead---Where our heads are small, your generosity is not."

http://www.cadetstuff.org/archives/000050.html

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Von Rom -- 7/13/2004 4:06:14 AM >

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 196
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/13/2004 6:14:47 AM   
Von Rom

Comrades in Arms: The Influence of George S. Patton on Walton H. Walker's Pusan Perimeter Defense

Authors: Nowowiejski, Dean A.; ARMY WAR COLL CARLISLE BARRACKS PA

Abstract: Successful senior leadership in the Army is strengthened based on the quality of professional relationships and role models provided between senior and junior officers. Senior leaders were developed by their experiences, and they must set the example for those who follow. This paper explores one example of the effects of modeled leadership on the professional development of an important U.S. strategic leader: General Walton H. Walker as demonstrated during his defense of the Pusan Perimeter in August-September 1950 in Korea.

General Walker served as the XX Corps Commander under General George S. Patton's Third Army for the duration of World War II. There were demonstrable effects of George S. Patton's influence on Walton Walker coming from this period of senior leader relationship in combat. This paper develops Patton's effects on Walker's leadership style, on his relationships with his staff, and in the formulation of the defensive operational concept, including Walker's orchestration of counterattacking reserves during the Pusan Perimeter. Walker's generalship was developed over a lifetime and refined under a period of Patton's senior leadership.

It was not merely the common experience in World War II between Patton and Walker that shaped him, but Patton's role model that influenced the common tenets of leadership and warfighting demonstrated by Walker at the Pusan Perimeter. The paper concludes with prospects for today based on historical lessons of Walker's interwar generation of officers.

http://www.stormingmedia.us/52/5299/A529904.html

< Message edited by Von Rom -- 7/13/2004 4:15:27 AM >

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 197
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/13/2004 6:20:53 AM   
Von Rom

It has been well over fifty years since the combat leadership and the force of General George S. Patton, Jr. has been felt on the battlefield, but today his memory stands tall worldwide. His legacy and his shadow solidly rest on a piece of land in north central Kentucky dedicated to his memory and the mounted warriors of the 20th Century. Some fifty years ago, on the 30th of April 1948, the U.S. Army Armor Center at Fort Knox issued General Order Number 6 establishing a museum as a tribute to General Patton and the thousands of soldiers who fought for the freedom of their fellow Americans in W.W.II. A year later, on the 30th of May 1949, a W.W.II building in the center of the Armor School on Old Ironsides Avenue was dedicated and The Patton Museum of Cavalry and Armor, became a reality. This past May the museum marked its golden anniversary.

The original thought was for the museum to be a place to house and display a few pieces of W.W.II armor equipment that General Patton had sent back to Fort Knox before his death in late 1945, along with some of the General's personal memorabilia. By 1962 the museum had become an integral part of the Armor School and a long range plan was prepared to develop a program of growth and improvement for the future. A year later authorization was received from the Department of the Army approving the facility as an official Army museum; and as fate would have it, the building on Old Ironsides Avenue soon became too small for all of the tanks and artifacts and armor and cavalry memorabilia that arrived at Fort Knox. It had become obvious that a world class museum of Armor and Cavalry was developing; and a new location and much larger accommodations were urgently needed to house the extensive collection that had been gathered and would continue to grow. The Army gave the land and enough funds from private donations were raised to build, dedicate, and open the first phase of the museum in its current location in Keyes Park on 11 November 1972 -- the 87th anniversary of General Patton's birth. Over the years, through May of 1992, four additional exhibit wings and the 300 seat Abrams Auditorium were added. At the same time, a Memorial Park, commemorating U.S. Army and USMC Armor units from W.W.II, Korea, Vietnam and Desert Storm was added adjacent to the museum building. All of this -- the building and the Memorial Park -- represent the Patton Museum Complex as seen today by over 400,000 visitors annually.

This is quite an achievement considering that the total complex was constructed and paid for by privately donated funds at no cost to the U.S. Government. Those funds were raised over the years by the dedicated efforts of the Trustees of the private Patton Museum Development Fund/Patton Museum Foundation, Inc. The U.S. Army owns the land and buildings and pays for the general upkeep of the property and the salaries of the staff. However, in recent years the museum has felt the budget reduction knife which has resulted in key personnel reductions and has limited the staff's ability to change and add exhibits and restore equipment for display. Unfortunately, there is no end in sight to the impact that this austerity has and will continue to have on the Patton Museum.

Today the museum is housed in a building which includes an auditorium, a small and crowded reference library, a gift shop, and extensive exhibit halls tracing the history of mounted warfare from the earliest cavalry days through Desert Storm. Also featured is the Patton Hall with the General's famous pistols, the sedan in which he was fatally injured, his life-like statue, and many items of personal memorabilia. Over the years the Patton Family has been more than generous in supporting the museum and in sharing with it the General's personal artifacts, both on loan and as outright gifts. The result being the finest public collection of Patton memorabilia in the world.

Several years ago it was decided to honor the world's great armor commanders with their portraits on a Commanders Wall near the museum entrance portraying them during a critical wartime action. Today there are four portraits on the Wall by the U.S. Army Armor Center Staff Artist, Jody Harmon -- General Patton at the 1943 Battle of El Guettar in North Africa; German Field Marshall Erwin Rommel at the 1942 Siege of Tobruk in North Africa; General Creighton W. Abrams as commander of the 37th Tank Battalion in the December 1944 relief of Bastogne; and Israeli Major General Israel Tal as commander of the Steel Division in the 1967 Arab-Israeli Six Day War. These four mounted force commanders represent what many consider to be among the greatest mounted warriors and commanders of the 20th Century, regardless of country. We know that there were other great armor commanders this Century that should be recognized and they will periodically be added to the Commanders Wall. Nominations for additions to the Wall should be sent to the museum for consideration.

In addition to all of this, the Museum has another 100-plus combat vehicles that trace the history of the mechanized force from inception. These vehicles are in "as-received" condition and are in cramped storage throughout Fort Knox and unavailable for restoration and/or exhibit. What all this says is that the museum is now full, without room for additional displays and exhibits or the space for the restoration of the stored vehicles. Only an expansion of the current museum building and an infusion of funds for vehicle restoration and new exhibits will solve the problem.

As a result, the Patton Museum Foundation, Inc. -- the museum's private sector fund raising arm -- is in the process of initiating a major fund raising effort to support a three fold expansion of the museum from its current 80,000 sq. ft to over 200,000 sq. ft. At the same time, the expansion will also give the museum the room it sorely needs to properly display the memorabilia and artifacts that trace the exploits of the great armor and cavalry units -- Divisions, Regiments, Battalions, and Companies -- whose W.W.II Associations are beginning to close down their operation due to passing of their members. The Patton Museum sees itself as the ultimate repository of the history, heritage, and artifacts of those W.W.II units long after the sounds of their battles have faded into the pages of history. Such an expansion will allow for storage, restoration, and exhibition of all donated vehicles, as well as the addition of new exhibits and interactive and computer assisted displays. (In the interactive area we hope to be able to put a visitor in the driver's, gunner's, or commander's seat of a tank, and through very realistic simulation, fight a tank battle, such as the 2nd Armored Cavalry's Battle of 73-Easting during Desert Storm and/or other battles from W.W.II, Korea, or Vietnam.) This expansion effort will also allow the the relocation and enlargement of the museum's library and permit it to realize its full potential as the premier mounted force warfare reference library in the World. The master plan to accomplish the total expansion is in hand and a large three dimensional scale model of the new museum complex is on display in the entrance of the museum. All we need now is the fifteen or so million dollars to make it happen. The strategic planning for raising those funds is in process, and we hope to kick off the fund raising campaign before the end of 1999.

In closing, it's obvious that the Foundation has bitten off a large chunk of the expansion elephant, but it feels that it can pull it off in a phased effort over the next five to ten years. The Trustees of the Foundation, including many former distinguished leaders of armor and cavalry, are committed to this effort and each feels strongly that the Patton Museum must continue to grow well into the 21st Century as the Nation's repository of the history and heritage of yesterday's, today's, and tomorrow's mounted warriors. The Patton Museum today, ever standing proudly in Patton's shadow, is a true jewel in the crown of U.S. Army Museums, and all Americans should visit this piece of history that so ably tells the heroic story of the 20th Century's mounted warrior.

STAN R. SHERIDAN
Major General, USA (ret)
President
Patton Museum Development Fund/Patton Museum Foundation, Inc.
September 1999

http://www.generalpatton.org/fifty.html

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Von Rom -- 7/13/2004 4:22:21 AM >

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 198
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/13/2004 6:38:46 AM   
Von Rom

Bradley and Patton

It is worth reviewing the personality of another famous commander, General Omar N. Bradley. Six years after the war he wrote a careful “official history” book entitled, “A Soldier’s Story.” He attacks Montgomery and his plans viciously, yet defends Eisenhower’s actions – sometimes even when these actions were to support Montgomery. However at occasions there is a break in the “official history” where we get a real glimpse of his thoughts. Unfortunately for us, Bradley did not keep a diary. If he had, we would have seen his day to day thoughts and what he was really thinking. Instead, we know only that both Eisenhower and Montgomery published their “Histories of the War” first, and that it some cases Bradley scrupulously “corrected history” and corroborated Eisenhower’s version.

Patton is the only clear voice that remains from WWII without need of deciphering. We are extremely lucky that Patton followed General Pershing’s advice and kept a diary. Without Patton’s diary, we would not have clear proof of his incredible “sixth sense:” his accurate guesses as to the intention of the enemy. It is easy for a commander to say, years after the war, that he “knew all along” the enemy was about to attack. That commander must be able to prove that he knew – and the best proof is a day-to-day account in a war diary.

In “A Soldier’s Story,” Bradley praises Patton with what would seem mollified respect. But in 1983 Bradley wrote another vicious book that fiercely attacks Patton called, “A General’s Life.” The tone used in describing Patton, while in the first book admiring, has changed to bitter hatred. In his second book, Bradley attacks Patton where in the first book he seemed to approve. Read these two passages describing the same event.

“Patton telephoned me that evening from Lucky Forward near Laval. ‘We’ve got elements in Argentan,’ he reported. ‘Let me go on to Falaise and we’ll drive the British back into the sea for another Dunkirk.’‘Nothing doing,’ I told him, for I was fearful of colliding with Montgomery’s forces. ‘You’re not to go beyond Argentan. Just stop where you are and build up that shoulder. Sibert tells me the German is beginning to pull out. You’d better button up and get ready for him.’” “A Soldier’s Story,” by General Omar N. Bradley

“I had a sharp telephone exchange with Patton that morning. He further infuriated me with his boastful, supercilious attitude. ‘Let me go on to Falaise and we’ll drive the British back into the sea for another Dunkirk.’ I replied coldly and firmly, ‘Nothing doing. You’re not to go beyond Argentan. Just stop where you are and build up that shoulder.’” “A General’s Life,” by General Omar N. Bradley

And while in the first account Bradley seems happy that Patton recalled Haislip “without a word,” in the second account, Bradley is “furious” that Patton did not ask to advance Haislip in the first place. There is a very clear difference in Bradley’s attitude towards Patton in both books. Why?

It first must be realized that Bradley lived into the 1980s – long enough to see the collapse of the post-war reputations. Bradley had lived a long and prosperous life. He had commanded in Korea and had been promoted to five-star general. Bradley knew that he had risen higher than Patton would ever have been allowed to go. Yet Bradley must also have known that he was eclipsed by the genius of the man whom he had commanded. Bradley must have read many of the books by historians who had begun to realize that Patton had been unjustly cheated of many opportunities – like Falaise – for winning the war.

Bradley lived to read books by historians who had uncovered evidence that Eisenhower and Montgomery were bad commanders who had purposely “lost” files pertaining to their disasters. “Patton’s Gap,” with its evidence that Bradley had changed his version of events to match Eisenhower’s, had been published as well. There were some cloudy circumstances around his own Hurtgen Forest and Battle of the Bulge, too.

Patton had emerged the true hero of WWII – Bradley was only a five star general who had survived the war. Historians already knew that one of the reasons Bradley was promoted was because he was so weak-kneed. Did Bradley read the books that proved Patton was denied gas for his attacks? Or the books that showed he had ignored Patton’s timely advice predicting the Battle of the Bulge? It would have been difficult for Bradley to ignore the evidence that Eisenhower’s, Montgomery’s, and his own reputation were not going to last beyond his lifetime.

It seems to me that “A General’s Life” was Bradley’s last, desperate “vindication” of the men whose reputations were falling apart around him. Bradley would have went down with far more grace if he had let history uncover itself; but instead in his 2nd book, like his first, Bradley tries to obscure the gradually emerging truth by defending Eisenhower tooth and nail.

Bradley had another unique experience – reading Patton’s diary. Since Patton’s diary was a record of his intensely personal and often critical thoughts and comments, it was not published until after Eisenhower’s death. Patton had often criticized Bradley’s timidity and mediocrity in his diary. Bradley writes of reading Patton’s diaries and letters,

“He wrote obsessively candid self-congratulatory (or self-abnegating) letters and diaries, which have recently been edited and published in two volumes. Reading these volumes was one of the most astonishing literary experiences of my life. It would seem that no thought George ever had in his life – however trivial or magnificent – went unrecorded, that his sense of greatness and destiny demanded a full accounting to the public.”

Bradley does not seem to realize that Patton wrote his diary with no intention of ever releasing it to the public. The thoughts and impressions recorded there were his real opinions – he was not trying to show-off to the “public.”

There was much in Patton’s diary that, while interesting from a historical perspective, was hardly flattering. For instance, Patton wrote about Bradley,

“His success is due to his lack of backbone and subservience to those above him. I will manage without him. In fact, I always have; even in Sicily he had to be carried.” Patton’s Diary

True, but undoubtedly infuriating to its subject.

It seems that after Bradley read Patton’s diary, he bitterly hated Patton and wished to criticize Patton “for the record” in his new book. One particularly jarring account is coupled with the announcement of Patton’s death – a death that does not seem to have upset him at all. He writes that,

“It may be a harsh thing to say, but I believe it was better for George Patton and his professional reputation that he died when he did. The war was won; there were no more wars left for him to fight. He was not a good peacetime soldier; he would not have found a happy place in the postwar Army. He would have gone hungering for the old limelight, beyond doubt indiscreetly sounding off on any subject any time, any place. In time he would have become a boring parody of himself – a decrepit, bitter, pitiful figure, unwittingly debasing the legend.” “A General’s Life,” by General Omar N. Bradley, page 464

While obviously Bradley’s opinion of Patton had soured with age, Bradley never truly appreciated Patton’s worth. In Sicily, Patton had been in command of Bradley. Patton forced Bradley to employ daring end-run tactics which eventually led to the capture of Palermo and Messina. Nevertheless, Bradley resented Patton’s “meddling” in his command. Bradley was the military adviser for the Patton movie. As Carlo d’Este pointed out, Bradley seems the hero, always advising Patton not to be foolhardy – “Those out-spoken comments will eventually catch up with you!” “George, you’re going to get yourself relieved if you don’t shut up!”

Interestingly, one of the most inaccurate scenes of the movie Patton was protested against by the actor who plays Patton, George C. Scott. The scene occurs in Sicily, where Patton tells Truscott that if his conscience will not let him conduct the risky end-run operation, “I will relieve you and have someone else do it.” Patton says that he doesn’t care how many men die, because he must take Messina before the British. Scott believed the scene did not properly represent Patton’s character and that it suggested Patton was indifferent to his men’s welfare. Even though Scott protested the scene, the studio owners wouldn’t change it. It strikes me that the military adviser for the movie, General Bradley, who was there in Sicily in 1943 and knew the scene to be false, did not protest it as well.

Bradley did not see fit to protest the many inaccuracies of the movie even when George C. Scott did, and so the studio owners kept the inaccurate Sicily scene. Scott, however, did not give up easily. He decided to purposely play the scene reclining on the couch, hoping that people would realize the scene’s falsity. When I first watched the movie, the fact that Patton was saying things he never said while lying down particularly galled me. I did not know this interesting side of the story.

Obviously, Bradley must have had some reason that made his hatred blind; what it is, we shall never know. It may have been jealousy at Patton’s fame, anger at Patton’s descriptions and predictions in his diary, loyalty to President Eisenhower, or all three. Bradley says in his book, “A General’s Life,”

“Patton and I were closely associated at Fort Benning for a period of almost a year. It was during this time that I first got to know him well. Thereafter our professional lives would become interwoven in war. He would be my boss; then in a kind of Greek drama, I his. As a result I probably knew Patton as well as any man.”

True, but Bradley did not see fit to defend him even when Scott, who did not know Patton, did.

Here is Bradley’s description of Patton. Historically it is not worth much, but it may be helpful in understanding the man who wrote it.

“As a soldier, a professional officer, Patton was the most fiercely ambitious man and the strangest duck I have ever known. He appeared to be motivated by some deep, inexplicable martial spirit. He devoured military history and poetry and imagined – in the spirit of reincarnation – that he had fought with Alexander the Great, Genghis Khan, Caesar, [sic] Napoleon. He dressed as though he had just stepped out of a custom military tailor shop and had his own private bootblack. He was unmercifully hard on his men, demanding the utmost in military efficiency and bearing. Most of them respected but despised him. Although he could be the epitome of grace and charm at social or official functions, he was at the same time the most earthily profane man I ever knew. I sometimes wondered if this macho profanity was unconscious overcompensation for his most serious personal flaw: a voice that was almost comically squeaky and high-pitched, altogether lacking in command authority. Like Douglas Mac Arthur, Patton was a born publicity hound, a glory seeker.” “A General’s Life,” by General Omar N. Bradley, page 98.

I cannot help but wonder if Bradley here disguised his own thoughts about Patton as Patton’s men’s; it seems it was really Bradley who “respected but despised” Patton.

Excerpted from Appendix B of “Patton Uncovered” by B. E. Boland

Copyright July 6, 2001

http://www.pattonuncovered.com/html/bradley.html

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 199
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/13/2004 9:06:18 AM   
Von Rom

Here are just a few of the many, many reviews by readers that are praising the work of Carlos D'Este's book: "Patton A Genius for War". If you are seeking to understand General George S. Patton, then this is the book to read. You can cut through everyone else's views and find out for yourself about the man, the leader and the military fighter.

In this insightful and well researched book you will find out for yourself why the German High Command feared Patton above all other Allied commanders.

An Excellent Biography of a Very Complex Man, October 27, 2003
Reviewer: abhishek malhotra (see more about me) from MUMBAI, MAHARASHTRA India

In terms of the biographies that one comes across this one is by far the most comprehensive and non judgemental towards its main character.

Patton's life is depicted through the book very vividly and covers a lot more about the man than most people know. It covers his life through his triumphs and disasters very distinctly without making the reader hate or love Patton more or less than he ought to be.

Patton's life is more than just the last three years of his life through which he is most known among the world - His Glory Years - World War II. And those years are very beautifully covered in the book. Infact they show more about him, his nature and his character than the three years of the WWII.

Even though i have always admired him I still felt moved by the book. Not because he is idolised by the author in the book but more because through the book D'Este has shown that even the great Patton was just a human being full of doubts and fallings.

Patton's greatness does not lie in his swashbuckling nature, his outbursts, his abusive language but in the fact that he was more confident in the training that he made his armies go through, the discipline he ensured among his soldiers and in his utter confidence in his them.

Yes! you hate him a number of times during the book. But you come to admire what he did for his men in the field. In my belief inspite of the fact that it was his nature to try to test his fate whenever he went to the front but merely seeing their general among themselves inspired the men who served under him to do their best for him.

I have never ever enjoyed any biography more than this one. It made me laugh many times, it made me cry many times and it makes me sad that such a man wasnt given the respect he deserved - more than any other general who served in the army. In my view he was truly the Greatest General who served during World War II at least the Greatest American General. And he deserved the 5 Stars I have given this Book.

An Unforgettable Biography, August 12, 2002
Reviewer: kruzkontrol (see more about me) from Woonsocket, R.I. United States

First of all, I'd like to thank the author for this magnificent biographical work. When you read a book that moves you the way this one does....the author deserves our highest praise. From the first page on....you'll quickly realize how well D'Este writes. Select a passage from any page in the book, and you'll be hard pressed not to continue reading from that point forward. Even the 100 or so pages of footnotes at the end are the most informative and interesting that I've ever perused.

D'Este didn't hurt his cause either by selecting George S. Patton as his biographical subject. This mammoth offering chronicles the life one of America's greatest heroes of the 20th century....and perhaps the most controversial as well. Patton's life was complex, intense, and full of controversy at every turn. A very determined and goal oriented person from youth, Patton's call to military life continued a long standing family tradition of outstanding military service dating back to the Revolutionary War. An excellent military strategist, Patton could move an army like no other general before him, but personal conflicts and difficulties with his superiors and the press alike....proved to be his Achilles heel.

This book is very detailed, yet easy to read. As an added bonus.....you'll find 2 sections filled with superb photography, plus numerous campaign maps scattered throughout the text. As an avid reader....I consider this to be one of my all time favorite biographies.

J.B. Kruz
KruzKontrol

Patton in all his glory, vanity, and daring, May 30, 2004
Reviewer: dennythedentist (see more about me) from Pelham, NY United States

Let me start out by saying that this this book is, first and foremost, very readable; I say that because, even though I am an avid reader of military history, too often these sorts of biographies can be very dense. I found Patton's early years fascinating - grandson of a Confederate war hero, Patton was raised with stories of his family's military legacy as a core part of his being, leading him to believe in his destiny to do great things. From his academic struggles to get through VMI and West Point, his early military experiences in Mexico and WWI, the tedious interwar years - all form a great foundation for the Patton's entrance on to the WWII stage.

Patton's leadership style was what fascinated me the most. Action oriented with his troops, Patton made sure his troops kney were being LED, and made them believe they could win. Pompous and a stickler for military decorum, he could be seen as a bit of buffoon. But he led by example - out with the troops constantly - and he delegated heavily to his staff even as he demanded the best of them. About what other leader do veterans say things like, "I was with Patton" when describing their war experiences?

Like all WWII military leaders, Patton is controversial, and some readers may want to understand other perspectives on Patton's run-ins with folks like Montgomery, Ike, and Bradley. D'Este's trump card seems to be that the Germans feared Patton the most of all the Allied generals.

The book covers all facets of Patton's military life, his relations with family, and goes into details on all his campaigns. With the Berlin Wall now gone, the import of Patton's concern about the Russians may seem less important now, but he was certainly right on.

As biographies of military figures go, this one is a winner. Highly recommended.

Captures Patton the Man and the Warrior, March 13, 2004
Reviewer: A reader from Jonesboro, AR USA

D'Este's biography of General Patton is as thorough and balanced a treatment of this great man as I have ever seen. I re-read my old (now long out of print) copy of Farago's "Patton: Ordeal and Triumph" afterward and discovered just how different the two accounts are. Both books are essential reading as they give you different (but not disparate) views of General Patton. Both are unashamedly pro-Patton while acknowledging his human flaws. "Genius For War" attempts to delve more deeply into Patton the man than any previous biography. It also helps to detach the General's story from the image portrayed in the fine 1970 film "Patton." Ultimately there is far more to General Patton than the movie could ever convey. However, "Genius For War" conveys this depth quite well. One comes away from "Genius" feeling that Patton's story has finally been told with far more accuracy. I had only one quibble with the account, and it is of minor consequence. I felt D'Este was too invested in portraying Patton as dyslexic; perhaps his information sources were biased on this matter. While the author quickly dismisses the possiblity that the General may have suffered mild traumatic brain injury (perhaps from numerous falls from horses), his descriptions of the General's behavior actually raise this as a credible possibility. While it raises an interesting question, I doubt if 60+ years after the General's passing that anyone will be able to definitively answer that question. This is unquestionably one of the most engrossing, readable biographies I have ever experienced. I give it my strongest recommendation, and thank the author for his efforts. I can think of few books I have enjoyed so much.

The best Patton biography, September 24, 2003
Reviewer: Seth Frantzman (see more about me) from Tucson, AZ United States

Carlo does it again with this excellent biography of Patton. Recently a number of bios of this great american figure have appeared but this one remains the classic account and the neccesary text for any study of Patton.

It regalls us with pattons early life, his aristocratic heritage and the many quirks that made him stand out in the american army prior to WWII. Then it details Pattons succesful armored column command during the Lousiana Manuevors.

Next the author takes on a coup de' main of Pattons role in WWII from North Africa, to Sicily and finally the race across France.

An excellent account, highly readable and wonderfully written.

Great reading, July 6, 2003
Reviewer: schmerguls (see more about me) from Sioux City, Ia USA

While Patton had flaws, and they are clearly presented in this excellently-written biography, I found his story full of high interest and one could not help but feel glad that Patton was present when he was on the battlefields where he served. This is an excellent work, well matching the other D'Este works I have read: Decision in Normandy (read 5 July 1992) and Fatal Decision (read 29 June 2003). Patton did heroic things but there is no need to admire his flaws--and that includes his belief that crude and foul language somehow made him a better man and general, and that he thought he knew more about mental damage than doctors. But this is a great and enjoyable book to read and I revelled in it.

This is the Patton biography to judge all others by., June 2, 2003
Reviewer: William L. Gilstrap (see more about me) from Vidor, Tx USA

The book delves into Patton's outlook on life and war. It shows his immense boredom with peacetime soldiering and the unusual attitude about combat of this "born warrior".
Patton was, above all else, a warrior and an accomplished leader. His attitude of hard training and conditioning, along with strict discipline was calculated to protect his troops in battle because they knew what to do and were in condition to do it.

Up through World War II, Patton was the greatest expert about tank warfare and also about combining tanks with infantry, artillery, and airpower. His lack of control about what he said was his worst enemy and always got him into trouble.

Patton was dyslexic, which gave him problems with reading and made him unsure of himself. Apparently dyslexia affects more than just the ability to read. He always had a strong self-doubt mixed with the firm idea that he was born to lead a great army. He believed in reincarnation and thought that he had been a warrior in all the great battles of history. He overcame his dyslexia to the extent that he was very learned in classic literature and especially in everything concerning war. He also became a very successful lecturer (when he could control his tendency to purple prose) and wrote many important papers about military affairs.

The way General Eisenhower used General Patton like a deadly weapon to be used then put on the shelf is well detailed along with Eisenhower's efforts to hold the allies together and the resentment by Generals Patton and Bradley for Eisenhower's apparent favoritism to the British. The book is a really deep look at Patton's career, the politics of World War II and "The Battle of the Generals". It's thorough but highly readable. The account of the automobile accident that took General Patton's life shortly after the end of WWII is clear and well written. This should be a classic of books about World War II and Patton in particular.

One of the BEST biographies I've ever read, April 29, 2003
Reviewer: James B. Hagerty (see more about me) from Cincinnati, Ohio

This masterpiece ranks among my favorite biographies. I put alongside excellent biographies of George Marshall (Cray), Dwight Eisenhower (Ambrose, D'Este), Churchill (Gilbert), Teddy Roosevelt (2 volumes by Edmund Morris), and Truman (McCullough).

You'll meet a Patton far different than the bellicose, rather one-dimensional character portrayed by George C. Scott in the Academy Award winning film. A great soldier and leader of men, well remembered as a great military innovator, Pattton was also a great athlete (Olympics!) and accomplished equestrian. He was also very spiritual, wrote outstanding poetry, occasionally suffered from depression, and overcame dyslexia.

Marvelous reading! Enjoy!

THE Patton Biography, February 26, 2003
Reviewer: Grant Waara (see more about me) from Millington, MI United States

Brace yourself. Carlo D'Este after publishing works on Normandy, Sicily, Anzio and a brief work on the war in the Mediterranean, tries his hand at biography. And what an effort!

Patton is an out and out classic. Not since Farago's Patton: Ordeal and Triumph, has someone attempted a complete and thorough work on this controversial, complicated and charismatic figure. Most Patton bios tend to go lightly over the General's beginnings, not so D'Este. Here, he gives the reader a full treatment of Patton's origins. From his Confederate ancestry and the famous Don Benito Wilson, we see Patton go from a struggling youth, to a young man obssessed with wanting to be a career soldier. Other wonderful stories abound. My personal favorite is the one where Patton's daughters shock the family by reciting a profanity laced poem (carefully instructed by Daddy).

World War II takes up nearly half the book, but that's not surprising. All facets of his WWII career are gone over. Third Army buffs may be disappointed that Patton's tenure with his fabled Army is only given 100 pages, but considering how much of his life was spent with Third Army, it's understandable.

Well, written, carefully researched, entertaining, this is what all military biographies should shoot for.

"They'll lose their fear of the Germans, I hope to God they'll never lose their fear of me." Lieutenant General George S. Patton Jr.

Combat General, February 1, 2003
Reviewer: Art (see more about me) from Virginia, USA

A detailed and comprehensive account of one of the greatest combat generals the U.S. Army has ever had. The author successfully captures the many sides of General Patton, going beyond the rather one-sided interpretation in the movie "Patton". The first sections of the book center on the general's early personnel life. Many of these chapters drag, but once the book enters into the battle chapters the author's skill and intimate knowledge of military history really shines. The author spends considerable time detailing the personnel relationships between Patton and the Army's top generals such as Eisenhower, Bradley, and Clark.

Old blood and guts is brought to life, December 12, 2002
Reviewer: dixiedean2003 (see more about me) from Dublin, Ireland

An excellant and intelligent biography, Patton the man is examined as much as Patton the General, hence we only reach his first World War II command more than half way into the book. Mr D'Este's portrait is vivid and compelling, showing a creature born and bred for war. The development of his character and personality is charted from childhood, through World War I, the inter-war years and on into his campaigns in North Africa, Sicily and mainland Europe. His belief in his own destiny pervades the book and although it is not spoken, one can almost sense from the writing that Patton's untimely and accidental death in 1945 was inevitable, such was his utter unsuitability for peacetime life.

This is a modern biography, hence somehow Tom Cruise is referenced and a quote from Liam Neeson is provided at the start of one chapter. Fortunately however, the author refrains from excessive psychological analysis in the contemporary mold and instead portrays Patton solely through his actions and writings, allowing us to draw many of our own conclusions and interpretations.
The book for me did have one or two drawbacks. Patton was dyslexic and as so much of his own diaries and letters are included unaltered, it is at times difficult to read. The Battle of the Bulge period is also surprisingly brief and there is curiously no mention of the counter-attack debate between Patton, Montgomery and Eisenhower, which would have highlighted clearly the differences between Patton's dash and Monty's conservatism. Nevertheless, the omission does not spoil what is overall a superb biography.

Patton: A Genius for War, December 11, 2002
Reviewer: George N. Havens (see more about me) from Bozeman, Montana USA

There are lots of books about Patton, but this is the most informative, the most balanced, and the most inspiring. It is very readable so that the length is not a problem. Further, you can pick it up and dig into a chapter all by itself. I have frequently referred to this book to understand better the Patton mystique and leadership style. D'Este highlights the unhappy relationship with Eisenhower who was bailed out numerous times by Patton: after Kasserine Pass and in the Bulge. Then Ike dishonored Patton by taking the 3rd Army away from him. Patton comes off as our best combat commander in Europe and one of the finest generals in U.S. history. It is easy to be put off by Patton's idiosyncracies and tough discipline, but his recsults speak for themselves. I do not know how you could write a better bio on "Old Blod and Guts" than this.

An Exciting Biography of a Military Genius, August 15, 2002
Reviewer: Ronald J. Bloch (see more about me) from Wallingford, PA USA

Are 800 plus pages too much for a biography of George Patton? When I first picked up this hefty book, I thought to myself: "I don't know if I want to know THAT much about Patton." However, I soon found myself wishing for even more detail in a few sections, especially in the WWII chapters. D'Este does spend more than 200 pages describing Patton's family, childhood, and early manhood before WWI, but these (possibly) less interesting sections do give important clues to Patton's personality and background. For example, Patton's undiagnosed dyslexia had a major impact on him. Patton's WWII involvement covers most of the second half of the book, and then the pace of action really picks up.

Although a very sympathetic portrait overall, D'Este does describe quite well his complicated personality. Patton could be profane and pious, deeply emotional and callous, all at the same time. The author makes clear that Patton's obsession with his destiny to play an important part in a great war did not mean that he didn't care deeply for the men who served under him. In fact, D'Este provides evidence that Patton was more careful of the lives of his men that other generals such as Omar Bradley. Patton's complicated relationships with Bradley and Eisenhower are also delved into deeply. He and Eisenhower had been close friends since 1919, although that friendship was deeply strained during WWII. D'Este also discloses that Bradley basically detested Patton after the Sicily campaign.

D'Este also informs you along the way which parts of the famous movie Patton were true and which weren't. For example, the scene in the film where the German Luftwaffe attacks Patton's headquarters just as the British are telling him that of course they are providing adequate air cover is basically true. The competition between Patton and Montgomery to see who would get to Messina first is, at best, a one-way competition in Patton's mind. The scene in the movie where Patton greets Montgomery in Messina is purely apocryphal. D'Este discloses that after the American troops prove their worth in the later parts of the African campaign, Montgomery actually had a high regard for Patton's abilities. He also draws parallels between Montgomery and Patton, showing that in many ways, they had a lot in common.

I found myself wishing in a few places for a more detailed description of Patton's battlefield strategies, but to be fair, this is a biography and not a book about military tactics. Overall, I found it to be an excellent biography of a brilliant military general, and not one page too long.

The Movie Pales in Comparison, July 13, 2002
Reviewer: Earl Holt (see more about me) from St. Louis, MO United States

The biographer's task is to compile the facts, utterances, and experiences of a lifetime and, after a thoughtful sifting and weighing of their importance, to draw conclusions and offer insights about that life.

By these and many other criteria, Carlo D' Este's massive Patton: A Genius for War, is an exceptional example of the biographer's task properly executed.

Three of his unique insights: By reproducing young Patton's letters home from the Virginia Military Institute, with their glaringly numerous misspellings, transposed letters, and missing punctuation, D 'Este convincingly demonstrates that Patton probably suffered from what is now commonly diagnosed as dyslexia.

Second, by chronicling some two dozen instances in which Patton suffered blows to the head after being thrown from a horse or struck playing polo, D' Este theorizes that much of Gen. Patton's eccentricities and volcanic temperment in later life may well have been attributable to brain damage resulting from this repeated trauma.

Finally, though he graduated only 25th of 248 at the Army's prestigious General Service School at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, Patton took exceptionally detailed and copious notes. These notes he later gave to a friend, Major Dwight David Eisenhower, who eventually ranked first in his class of 1925-1926. The rest, as they say, is history...

D'Este clearly worships his subject, and his description of Patton's shining moment -- marshalling three Divisions to relieve the 101st Airborne at Bastogne during the Battle of the Bulge -- is worth the price of the book.

There were quite a few typos in the text and footnotes, but they hardly distracted from this, the finest biography I've ever read.

Cutting through the facade, February 14, 2002
Reviewer: A reader from Dallas, TX USA

Carlo D'Este is one of the few authors who can extensively research a subject and apply the data in terms and language that anyone can understand. He refuses to allow extraneous side information such as religion and temper to negate Patton's decisive understanding of the dynamics of battle. Reading 900 pages is not an easy task. This task I found I could have continued. History has not been revised, but rather finally illuminated.

Meticulous scholarship and great writing., January 4, 2002
Reviewer: Ned Fuller (see more about me) from Arlington, VA United States

Carlo D'Este is a rarity: a superb military scholar who truly writes like a skilled novelist (others include John Toland, Glenn Tucker, Stephen Ambrose and Clay Blair). The first tip-off to the scholarship is that 800 pages of text are backed up by 100 pages of footnotes. As for the writing, just open this book anywhere and start reading; I challenge you to put it down. Tons of fresh material, many myths exposed, and some "saints" (eg, Bradley) defrocked. A must read.

Brilliant Biography, April 18, 2001
Reviewer: Nick Sarantakes (see more about me) from Commerce, Texas

Carlo D'Este, a military historian and a retired U.S. Army lieutenant colonel, has written an amazing study of an important American war hero. The reader will not only learn about military developments that led to allied victory, but they will also get a real feel for the amazing personality that was George S. Patton, Jr. Only a few biographies leave you with the feeling that you have personally met the subject. This book is one of them. Anyone considering taking on the work of becoming a biographer should read this book and use it as a model.

When most people think of Patton, they think of the 1970 film staring George C. Scott. D'Este knows this and begins his study with a chapter setting up this movie as a straw man. The film was extremely powerful, but it was ultimately a work of fiction and Omar Bradley, a general who despised Patton, played a large role in its production. D'Este also asks the simple but difficult questions of: who was the Patton. and why does he deserves another biography. The answer to these questions takes up 977 pages. We learn that the harsh, profane image he presented to his troops and the public was just that, an image. He was deeply religious, and was willing to take risks that only a man with the sincere believe that providence favored him would chance. He was extremely sensitive, loved poetry, understood what it took to send men into combat and was deeply troubled that soldiers under his command would die because of orders he gave. He was one of the best generals the allied coalition had and it was no accident. He had ability and worked hard at doing an extremely difficult job: killing.

The most significant factor in shaping Patton's life was his dyslexia. Not only is dyslexia a learning disorder, it also entails a whole host of emotional and psychological consequences, including: feelings of inferiority, sharp mood swings, and a tendency to boast. Patton had all these traits and more. Given this disability, he had a difficult time as a cadet at West Point. He did well enough, though, to enter the cavalry.

His natural talents as an army officer quickly became clear, but he also knew how to play the bureaucratic game. General John Pershing became a mentor of his and he excelled during the First World War, rising to the temporary rank of colonel. He was personally responsible for establishing the organizational table and most of the doctrine of the new tank corps. During these days of experimentation with armor, he made an important friendship with Dwight D. Eisenhower. Both, however, understood enough about service politics to return to their original branches. The interwar period was time of extreme frustration. It was only as the threat of war loomed that his career began to move forward.

D'Este covers familiar ground during the war years: the campaign in North Africa, Sicily, Italy, the slapping of two enlisted men, the Knutsford incident, exile, and his drive across France, the Battle of the Bulge, and his removal from command. The author shoots down a number of myths. Patton and British Field Marshal Bernard Montgomery had profound respect for one another and the rivalry that developed between them came late in the war. Bradley never respected the ability of either Patton or his staff. Bradley also had a long feud with Montgomery and was the individual most responsible for advancing the "our blood, his guts" view of Patton. The media helped, though. Patton had horrible relations with the reporters, which contributed to the amount of attention focused on the slapping and Knutsford incidents. His friendship with Eisenhower saved him after he assaulted two soldiers. Patton thought his friend had no backbone and was would sell him out. After Patton's ill considered remarks about the Russians in Knutsford, Ike was ready to send him back to the U.S. It was only the intervention of the General George C. Marshall, the chief of staff of the U.S. Army, that saved him. He did order a chaplain to write a prayer for good weather and later decorated the man with a Bronze Star, but not during the Battle of the Bulge as the film "Patton" suggests. D'Este, however, notes that during this battle Patton was at his best, calling it his finest hour.

D'Este has a novelist's touch for details. The circumstance of Patton's death and the services honoring him are moving. Discussions of Patton's cowardly bull terrier, Willie, along with the relationship he had with the officers and enlisted men on his staff enable D'Este to give a full picture. D'Este's own military experiences inform this study. He pays attention to details that might have escaped an author with less expertise: Patton's use of maps, his organizational ability, and how he effectively employed assets such as intelligence. The research is impressive and it will be a long time before this book is ever surpassed.

More reviews here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0060927623/002-0421982-5994431?v=glance

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Von Rom -- 7/13/2004 7:40:43 AM >

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 200
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/13/2004 9:22:54 AM   
frank1970

http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/1566563429/qid=1089699529/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i4_xgl14/302-5558800-4723244 : von Charles Whiting
Rezensionen

From Library Journal
These insightful new titles represent a good start to a unique travel series that attempts to re-create some of the fiercest and most critical battles of World War II through photographs, maps, eyewitness quotes, and captivating narratives. Shilleto (The Fighting Fifty-Second) and Tolhurst (The Battle of the Bulge) reconstruct the scenes and mood of the crucial battles of Normandy, France, and tell the reader where to go and how to get there, providing information on museums, monuments, cemeteries, memorials, and statues. Whiting, a distinguished military writer and historian who saw combat himself, describes battles in which the resolve of the Allies was tested and a revitalized German army emerged amidst an elaborate system of defenses, eventually loosing to a superior allied force. He captures the flow of events and sentiments as he guides the tourist through selected sites on a battlefront 400 miles long and 70 miles deep. Both guides retain a historical sensitivity that one hopes will be a hallmark of the entire series; even though they are intended for tourists, they still succeed in fully conveying the ordeal of combat. Historically enlightening, touristically informative, educational, thorough, and enjoyable, these books are recommended for all libraries.DEdward K. Owusu-Ansah, Murray State Univ. Lib., KY
Copyright 2000 Reed Business Information, Inc.

If you like what I said love me,if you dislike what I say ignore me!

"Extra Bavaria non est vita! Et sic est vita non est ita!"

(in reply to Kevinugly)
Post #: 201
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/13/2004 9:48:39 AM   
Von Rom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Frank

http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/1566563429/qid=1089699529/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i4_xgl14/302-5558800-4723244 : von Charles Whiting
Rezensionen

From Library Journal
These insightful new titles represent a good start to a unique travel series that attempts to re-create some of the fiercest and most critical battles of World War II through photographs, maps, eyewitness quotes, and captivating narratives. Shilleto (The Fighting Fifty-Second) and Tolhurst (The Battle of the Bulge) reconstruct the scenes and mood of the crucial battles of Normandy, France, and tell the reader where to go and how to get there, providing information on museums, monuments, cemeteries, memorials, and statues. Whiting, a distinguished military writer and historian who saw combat himself, describes battles in which the resolve of the Allies was tested and a revitalized German army emerged amidst an elaborate system of defenses, eventually loosing to a superior allied force. He captures the flow of events and sentiments as he guides the tourist through selected sites on a battlefront 400 miles long and 70 miles deep. Both guides retain a historical sensitivity that one hopes will be a hallmark of the entire series; even though they are intended for tourists, they still succeed in fully conveying the ordeal of combat. Historically enlightening, touristically informative, educational, thorough, and enjoyable, these books are recommended for all libraries.DEdward K. Owusu-Ansah, Murray State Univ. Lib., KY

Heheh

By the way, what is written above is NOT a review. It's just a publication press release.

I find it odd that as Leo Kessler, Whiting will write cheap pulp fiction novels praising the Waffen SS, and then don his Charles Whiting persona, and write a book critical of General George Patton. Yes, Patton, the man the German High Command feared the most. . .

And as Leo Kessler he again writes a novel called "Kill Patton!"

Isn't that odd. . .?

< Message edited by Von Rom -- 7/13/2004 7:56:58 AM >

(in reply to frank1970)
Post #: 202
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/13/2004 10:02:44 AM   
Von Rom

Here are the fictional novels written by Charles Whiting (aka Leo Kessler):

Fictional novels praising the SS:

Novel called "Kill Patton!":

Attachment (2)

< Message edited by Von Rom -- 7/13/2004 8:03:41 AM >

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 203
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/13/2004 10:22:22 AM   
Von Rom

Patton's Address to Third Army on June 5, 1944:

Be Seated.

Men, this stuff we hear about America wanting to stay out of the war, not wanting to fight, is a lot of bullshit. Americans love to fight - traditionally. All real Americans love the sting and clash of battle.

When you were kids, you all admired the champion marble player; the fastest runner; the big league ball players; the toughest boxers. Americans love a winner and will not tolerate a loser. Americans despise cowards. Americans play to win - all the time. I wouldn't give a hoot in hell for a man who lost and laughed. That's why Americans have never lost, nor will ever lose a war, for the very thought of losing is hateful to an American.

You are not all going to die. Only two percent of you here today would die in a major battle. Death must not be feared. Every man is frightened at first in battle. If he says he isn't, he's a goddamn liar. Some men are cowards, yes! But they fight just the same, or get the hell shamed out of them watching men who do fight who are just as scared.

The real hero is the man who fights even though he is scared. Some get over their fright in a minute under fire, some take an hour. For some it takes days. But the real man never lets fear of death overpower his honor, his sense of duty to this country and his innate manhood.

All through your army career you men have bitched about "This chickenshit drilling." That is all for a purpose. Drilling and discipline must be maintained in any army if for only one reason -- INSTANT OBEDIENCE TO ORDERS AND TO CREATE CONSTANT ALERTNESS. I don't give a damn for a man who is not always on his toes. You men are veterans or you wouldn't be here. You are ready. A man to continue breathing must be alert at all times. If not, sometime a German son-of-a-bitch will sneak up behind him and beat him to death with a sock full of ****.

There are 400 neatly marked graves somewhere in Sicily all because one man went to sleep on his job -- but they were German graves for we caught the bastard asleep before his officers did. An Army is a team. Lives, sleeps, eats, fights as a team.

This individual heroic stuff is a lot of crap. The bilious bastards who wrote that kind of stuff for the Saturday Evening Post don't know any more about real fighting, under fire, than they do about ****ing. We have the best food, the finest equipment, the best spirit and the best fighting men in the world. Why, by God, I actually pity these poor sons-of-bitches we are going up against. By God, I do!

My men don't surrender. I don't want to hear of any soldier under my command being captured unless he is hit. Even if you are hit, you can still fight. That's not just bullshit, either. The kind of man I want under me is like the lieutenant in Libya, who, with a Lugar against his chest, jerked off his helmet, swept the gun aside with one hand and busted hell out of the Boche with the helmet. Then he jumped on the gun and went out and killed another German: All this with a bullet through his lung. That's a man for you.

All real heroes are not story book combat fighters either. Every man in the army plays a vital part. Every little job is essential. Don't ever let down, thinking your role is unimportant. Every man has a job to do. Every man is a link in the great chain. What if every truck driver decided that he didn't like the whine of the shells overhead, turned yellow and jumped headlong into the ditch? He could say to himself, "They won't miss me -- just one in thousands." What if every man said that? Where in hell would we be now? No, thank God, Americans don't say that! Every man does his job; every man serves the whole. Every department, every unit, is important to the vast scheme of things. The Ordnance men are needed to supply the guns, the Quartermaster to bring up the food and clothes to us -- for where we're going there isn't a hell of a lot to steal. Every last man in the mess hall, even the one who heats the water to keep us from getting the GI ****s has a job to do. Even the chaplain is important, for if we get killed and if he is not there to bury us we'd all go to hell.

Each man must not only think of himself, but of his buddy fighting beside him. We don't want yellow cowards in this army. They should all be killed off like flies. If not they will go back home after the war and breed more cowards. The brave men will breed brave men. Kill off the goddamn cowards and we'll have a nation of brave men.

One of the bravest men I ever saw in the African campaign was the fellow I saw on top of a telegraph pole in the midst of furious fire while we were plowing toward Tunis. I stopped and asked what the hell he was doing up there at that time. He answered, "Fixing the wire, sir." "Isn't it a little unhealthy right now?," I asked. "Yes sir, but this goddamn wire's got to be fixed." There was a real soldier. There was a man who devoted all he had to his duty, no matter how great the odds, no matter how seemingly insignificant his duty might appear at the time.

You should have seen those trucks on the road to Gabes. The drivers were magnificent. All day and all night they rolled over those son-of-a-bitching roads, never stopping, never faltering from their course, with shells bursting around them all the time. We got through on good old American guts. Many of these men drove over forty consecutive hours. These weren't combat men. But they were soldiers with a job to do. They did it -- and in a whale of a way they did it. They were part of a team. Without them the fight would have been lost. All the links in the chain pulled together and that chain became unbreakable.

Don't forget, you don't know I'm here. No word of the fact is to be mentioned in any letters. The world is not supposed to know what the hell became of me. I'm not supposed to be commanding this Army. I'm not even supposed to be in England. Let the first bastards to find out be the goddamn Germans. Someday I want them to raise up on their hind legs and howl, "Jesus Christ, it's the goddamn Third Army and that son-of-a-bitch Patton again."

We want to get the hell over there. We want to get over there and clear the goddamn thing up. You can't win a war lying down. The quicker we clean up this goddamn mess, the quicker we can take a jaunt against the purple pissing Japs an clean their nest out too, before the Marines get all the goddamn credit.

Sure, we all want to be home. We want this thing over with. The quickest way to get it over is to get the bastards. The quicker they are whipped, the quicker we go home. The shortest way home is through Berlin. When a man is lying in a shell hole, if he just stays there all day, a Boche will get him eventually, and the hell with that idea. The hell with taking it. My men don't dig foxholes. I don't want them to. Foxholes only slow up an offensive. Keep moving. And don't give the enemy time to dig one. We'll win this war but we'll win it only by fighting and by showing the Germans we've got more guts than they have.

There is one great thing you men will all be able to say when you go home. You may thank God for it. Thank God, that at least, thirty years from now, when you are sitting around the fireside with your grandson on your knees, and he asks you what you did in the great war, you won't have to cough and say, "I shoveled **** in Louisiana."

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Von Rom -- 7/13/2004 8:34:38 AM >

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 204
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/13/2004 10:36:27 AM   
Von Rom

GENERAL GEORGE S. PATTON, JR. QUOTATIONS

"A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week."

“A good solution applied with vigor now is better than a perfect solution applied ten minutes later.”

"America loves a winner, and will not tolerate a loser, this is why America has never, and will never, lose a war.”

“A pint of sweat will save a gallon of blood.”

“By perseverance, study, and eternal desire, any man can become great.”

“Do everything you ask of those you command.”

“Do more than is required of you.”

“Fixed fortifications are monuments to man's stupidity.”

“Good tactics can save even the worst strategy. Bad tactics will destroy even the best strategy.”

“I always believe in being prepared, even when I'm dressed in white tie and tails.”

“I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight.”

“If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.”

“If I do my full duty, the rest will take care of itself.”

“In case of doubt, attack.”

“It’s the unconquerable soul of man, not the nature of the weapon he uses, that insures victory.”

“Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. ”

“Live for something rather than die for nothing.”

"May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.”

“Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men.”

“Never let the enemy pick the battle site.”

“No good decision was ever made in a swivel chair.”

“Say what you mean and mean what you say.”

“Success is how you bounce on the bottom.”

“The leader must be an actor."

“The soldier is the army.”

“There is only one type of discipline, perfect discipline.”

“War is simple, direct, and ruthless.”

“Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men.”

“You’re never beaten until you admit it.”

“You shouldn't underestimate an enemy, but it is just as fatal to overestimate him.”

"Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tire, more hungry. Keep punching."

"In landing operations, retreat is impossible, to surrender is as ignoble as it is foolish… above all else remember that we as attackers have the initiative, we know exactly what we are going to do, while the enemy is ignorant of our intentions and can only parry our blows. We must retain this tremendous advantage by always attacking rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, and without rest."

"An Army is a team; lives, sleeps, eats, fights as a team. This individual heroic stuff is a lot of crap."

"War is the supreme test of man in which he rises to heights never approached in any other activity."

"No sane man is unafraid in battle, but discipline produces in him a form of vicarious courage."

"A man must know his destiny… if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder… if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it."

"In war the only sure defense is offense, and the efficiency of the offense depends on the warlike souls of those conducting it."

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."

"Wars might be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of the men who leads that gains the victory."

"… many, who should know better, think that wars can be decided by soulless machines, rather than by the blood and anguish of brave men."

"Tanks are new and special weapon-newer than, as special, and certainly as valuable as the airplane."

"An incessant change of means to attain unalterable ends is always going on; we must take care not to let these sundry means undue eminence in the perspective of our minds; for, since the beginning, there has been an unending cycle of them, and for each its advocates have claimed adoption as the sole solution of successful war."

"Untutored courage is useless in the face of educated bullets."

"The obvious thing for the cavalryman to do is to accept the fighting machine as a partner, and prepare to meet more fully the demands of future warfare."

"Many soldiers are led to faulty ideas of war by knowing too much about too little."

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 205
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/13/2004 12:21:00 PM   
Culiacan Mexico

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deep Breakfast
It seems like Patton is considered one of the great US heros but I am having trouble finding anything he did tactically or strategically great. It just seems to this amateur WWII buff that if you look at Manstein, Rommel, Montgomery, or Konev they did things that were true feats and Patton just pushed back a defeated army faster than the rest out of pure gusto and agressiveness rather than military genius.

Any comments?
“…Patton just pushed back a defeated army faster than the rest…”

Ok. Did you answer your own question?

< Message edited by Culiacan Mexico -- 7/13/2004 12:30:27 PM >

"If you love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lig

(in reply to Huskalator)
Post #: 206
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/13/2004 12:29:38 PM   
Culiacan Mexico

quote:

I suspect Patton would have fared a lot worse in more even circumstances. In his favour, he was exceptionally aggressive (not a trait shared by Allied Commanders on the whole) and he had the sort of drive and push that inspires men. I think an Armoured Corp was the command he was born for, give him an objective and let him loose.

Regards,
IronDuke
I pretty much agree.

Patton was, at heart, an old Cavalry soldier who believed in discipline, élan, and aggression. It worked.

"If you love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lig

Post #: 207
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/13/2004 12:32:35 PM   
frank1970

Would it have worked on the Eastern Front?

(in reply to Culiacan Mexico)
Post #: 208
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/13/2004 12:36:16 PM   
frank1970

quote:

quote:

Rezensionen

From Library Journal

Heheh

By the way, what is written above is NOT a review. It's just a publication press release.

I find it odd that as Leo Kessler, Whiting will write cheap pulp fiction novels praising the Waffen SS, and then don his Charles Whiting persona, and write a book critical of General George Patton. Yes, Patton, the man the German High Command feared the most. . .

And as Leo Kessler he again writes a novel called "Kill Patton!"

Isn't that odd. . .?

As a matter of fact it is. It is written by DEdward K. Owusu-Ansah, Murray State Univ. Lib., KY and used as an ad, because the firm loved it.

There are bunshes of good scientists, especially historicians out there who write novels under pseudonyms. I can´t see why this one should be especially bad. Because he is from the wrong side of the Atlantic and doesn´t share your point of view?

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 209
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/13/2004 12:48:19 PM   
Culiacan Mexico

quote:

Would it have worked on the Eastern Front?
General Heinz Gurderian.

Maybe. One could argue that a Wehrmacht as aggressive as Patton would have went straight for the Soviet Jugular (Moscow), but that kind of misses the point in my opinion.

Montgomery was the man needed in the Desert when he took command: solid, a good planner, respected by his men, and able to get more time and equipment from Churchill than anyone before. Could he have done the same thing in Russia… maybe or maybe not, but he did do it in North Africa.

(in reply to frank1970)
Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Why was Patton so great? Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI