Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Anyone here who wants to buy my Game?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Anyone here who wants to buy my Game? Page: <<   < prev  5 6 7 [8] 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Anyone here who wants to buy my Game? - 7/9/2004 6:11:02 PM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

ORIGINAL: WhoCares

(no VAT included!)

quote:

(from the VAT information)
For customers from Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, and UK the national VAT rate will be applied. For all other EU customers, the UK VAT rate of 17.5% will be applied.

I would have to check for this one - wouldn't want to pay the 17.5% if we in Germany have 16%...

The above states pretty clear that you will be charged your national tax rate if you live in Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, or the UK .

Is this really so hard guys?

(in reply to WhoCares)
Post #: 211
RE: Anyone here who wants to buy my Game? - 7/9/2004 7:20:26 PM   
WhoCares

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marc Schwanebeck

The above states pretty clear that you will be charged your national tax rate if you live in Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, or the UK .

Yepp, that's why I thought I should check that it really did just that for me, nothing more

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 212
RE: Anyone here who wants to buy my Game? - 7/9/2004 8:12:22 PM   
Didz

Just to keep everyone up to date.

Several Europeans have reported downloading WiTP successfully form the US site for $82.24 including VAT.

Based on the current EU and UK prices shown this represents a 15% saving on the EU price and an 18% saving on the UK price.

The current price quoted for the EU is 66.96 EUR which at the current exchange rate (Wednesday, July 7, 2004 1 Euro = 1.22940 US Dollar) is $82.32 plus 11.71 EUR VAT ($14.39) TOTAL EU PRICE= 81.35 EUR ($96.71)

The UK price is shown as £45.81 which with VAT @17.5% = £53.82 ($99.93)

Thats a massive 18% saving to UK customers.

So, its definately better to order from the US download site.

Didz
Fortis balore et armis

(in reply to WhoCares)
Post #: 213
RE: Anyone here who wants to buy my Game? - 7/9/2004 8:41:26 PM   
RealChuckB

quote:

quote:

(no VAT included!)

quote:

(from the VAT information)
For customers from Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, and UK the national VAT rate will be applied. For all other EU customers, the UK VAT rate of 17.5% will be applied.

I would have to check for this one - wouldn't want to pay the 17.5% if we in Germany have 16%...

Marc,

no, I don't think it's hard to understand, but I have to tell you, that considering all the information we have regarding the contractual constellation between Matrixgames and DR, the description from the store does not really make sense.

You told us, that DR is the reseller of the Matrixgames products in Europe. If that's the case, Matrixgames is actually pretty much out of the whole business of charging Taxes, informing customers regarding S&H etc. because then it is solely DR's responsibility.

DR has a branch in the UK and they are therefore probably "established" in the EU as regard to tax laws. If that's the case, they have to charge the VAT of the country where they are established (UK) for any sale in ANY EU member state. Therefore, every EU customer should have to pay 17,5% VAT. I really don't know why they differentiate between different EU states, it doesn't seem to make any sense ...

Chuck

Post #: 214
RE: Anyone here who wants to buy my Game? - 7/9/2004 8:43:05 PM   
WhoCares

quote:

quote:

Yepp, that's why I thought I should check that it really did just that for me, nothing more

Order Date: 03-JUL-04
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
War In The Pacific 1 Digital Download/CD on Demand Digital River 64.99 EUR
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub Total: 64.99 EUR
Tax: 11.37 EUR
Total: 76.36 EUR

Yepp, that's very close to 17.5%... - definatly closer than to the 16% we have in Germany
(exactly 0.98EUR closer - must be the price to learn another lesson about international trade )

< Message edited by WhoCares -- 7/9/2004 8:01:25 PM >

(in reply to WhoCares)
Post #: 215
RE: Anyone here who wants to buy my Game? - 7/9/2004 9:11:04 PM   
David Heath

Hi Guys

I am working on this as we speak and plan to have this fixed today.

First you are always charged VAT. US UK EURO store it does not matter. VAT is not charge UNTIL you enter your mailing address. Second what is showning in the UK and EURO store now are our adjusted prices and an estimated 17.5 VAT included. This was not supposed to show on the products page but has. I am currently working on fixing this as well. Sorry guys I am still learning this store thing with the changes for the UK and Euro stores. I will be taken a few days off when I get this all sorted out <G>

David

(in reply to WhoCares)
Post #: 216
RE: Anyone here who wants to buy my Game? - 7/9/2004 9:38:36 PM   
RealChuckB

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Heath

Hi Guys

I am working on this as we speak and plan to have this fixed today.

First you are always charged VAT. US UK EURO store it does not matter. VAT is not charge UNTIL you enter your mailing address. Second what is showning in the UK and EURO store now are our adjusted prices and an estimated 17.5 VAT included. This was not supposed to show on the products page but has. I am currently working on fixing this as well. Sorry guys I am still learning this store thing with the changes for the UK and Euro stores. I will be taken a few days off when I get this all sorted out <G>

David

David,

Thank you very much for your efforts - I know that it is a quite complicated issue (and only a few people actually think it is interesting )

But to be honest, you should not even think about all this stuff, BECAUSE IT IS DIGITAL RIVER'S JOB!
Goddamn, these guys CHARGE you for the outsourcing of your electronic sales and they are not doing anything else than electronic sales and they are still nto able to do it right! Give them hell! The services they offer are flawed and this is costing your money and manpower. Don't accept lame excuses or explanations. (I know, you probably care too much for your customers so you are somewhat trapped).

Thanks again!

Chuck

(in reply to David Heath)
Post #: 217
RE: Anyone here who wants to buy my Game? - 7/9/2004 10:16:23 PM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: Golf33

Sounds fair enough to me. Smokers cost an enormous amount of money in government-funded healthcare, so it's only fair that duties on cigarettes should offset at least a small proportion of that cost. Personally I'd deny medical treatment for smoking-related complaints to anyone who either started in the last 20 years, and/or failed to quit smoking on being told to do so by a doctor.

Do you think we've strayed far enough from the topic yet?

Regards

Forgive me for staying off-topic one more time

Actually, the amounts involved are so huge that not only do smokers "pay" for their own treatment in totality, they pay for an awful lot of other people's as well. At one time (it will be less now, as the current government has increased healthcare spending substantially, albeit with little to show for it) tobacco duty was sufficient to cover one third of the entire costs of the National Health Service.

That's not really the point anyway. The tax on tobacco isn't a levy to pay for the additional healthcare needed by smokers. If health was the issue, the government would raise the tax so high nobody could afford to smoke, petition the other EU countries to do the same, and put the money into Customs enforcement to stop cigarettes being smuggled in. Unfortunately, though... they need the money too much

(in reply to Golf33)
Post #: 218
RE: Anyone here who wants to buy my Game? - 7/9/2004 10:34:55 PM   
Hartford688

David

Top. We all knew Matrix would look into really fixing this. As Chuck says, DR should have done it for you, but many thanks to you all at Matrix. Bet it has been a real pain in the a$$ for you.

Hartford

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 219
RE: Anyone here who wants to buy my Game? - 7/9/2004 11:03:29 PM   
ravinhood

quote:

Actually a non smoker society would costs the health system more money. Non smoking people live (in average) 8 years longer. That is 8 years more with incredible high health costs (your last 10 years suck up around 85% of the total money you need for your personal health care).

Woohoo MARC right on dude. That's exactly what's happening, people who don't smoke and don't drink are living longer, thus costing the government MORE money in medicare and medicade suppliments. Amen brotherman, you tell em how it is, it's not us smokers or drinkers that are causing rising health care costs, it's the old and feeble living who should have died 10 to 20 years ago but didn't cause they didn't smoke or drink! LOL

Let's march on Washington and Parlaiment woohoo, cut, smoking and alcohol taxes and start taxing the retired! LOL

You just wait till all us baby boomers hit retirement, lol, I can only imagine the changes in the tax system when 1/3rd of the country retires all at once. haha

Post #: 220
RE: Anyone here who wants to buy my Game? - 7/10/2004 12:04:41 AM   
*Lava*

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

quote:

Actually a non smoker society would costs the health system more money. Non smoking people live (in average) 8 years longer. That is 8 years more with incredible high health costs (your last 10 years suck up around 85% of the total money you need for your personal health care).

Woohoo MARC right on dude. That's exactly what's happening, people who don't smoke and don't drink are living longer, thus costing the government MORE money in medicare and medicade suppliments. Amen brotherman, you tell em how it is, it's not us smokers or drinkers that are causing rising health care costs, it's the old and feeble living who should have died 10 to 20 years ago but didn't cause they didn't smoke or drink! LOL

Let's march on Washington and Parlaiment woohoo, cut, smoking and alcohol taxes and start taxing the retired! LOL

You just wait till all us baby boomers hit retirement, lol, I can only imagine the changes in the tax system when 1/3rd of the country retires all at once. haha

Indeed, they should start charging fat people for every ounce they are overweight as well. But don't worry, that's probably in a theater near you in the not too distant future....

Ray (alias Lava)

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 221
RE: Anyone here who wants to buy my Game? - 7/10/2004 1:33:34 AM   
Jcatarino

Have you seen the latest exchange rates!!!!
I ordered War in the Pacific in the US store and I ended up paying only 66,42€

$69,99 x 1.175% = $82,24 / 1.24 =66,42€

Nice for us EU consumers to have a strong currency.... Not shure about the rest of the economy though...

(in reply to *Lava*)
Post #: 222
RE: Anyone here who wants to buy my Game? - 7/10/2004 2:43:14 AM   
ravinhood

Yeah, but, how much is a loaf of bread, a gallon of gas, a gallon of milk and above all a pound of T-Bone or Rib Eye steak over there?

On a good day we gets T-Bone and Rib Eye steak for $3.99lb, normally it flucuates from $5.99 to $7.99 though, price of meat is weird sometimes, but, when it's $3.99lb my freezer gets filled to the brim. heh

Oh, but, you might not know what T-Bones and Rib-eye steaks are, forgot you Brits are fish n chips eaters by culture. hehe

< Message edited by ravinhood -- 7/9/2004 7:45:30 PM >

(in reply to Jcatarino)
Post #: 223
RE: Anyone here who wants to buy my Game? - 7/10/2004 3:19:20 AM   
Cmdrcain

quote:

We have another wonderful taxing policy here as well, called capital gains tax, now say you have some stock that makes a large increase in the stock market, you just made a capital gain, and you have to pay tax on that gain, even if the stock drops out of the ceiling later on and you still own it. Do they give you your tax back? lol hell no.

You only pay a tax on the gain if you sell the stock at the profit (gain)
if a stock goes up and theres a paper gain , theres no tax unless sell it, if you hold it and it plummets you no longer have a taxable gain, you may have a loss that can offset gains

I'm sure you meant pay a tax on the gain if sell it, while you profit off it...If it drops down while you still own it theres a less gain or no gain, if you think you owe tax on paper gains , theres something wrong there.

Not sure where you are so if not in USA thats one really bad thing taxing you on a paper gain....(Paper being on paper vis a vis actual gain as getting the money in selling it)

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 224
RE: Anyone here who wants to buy my Game? - 7/10/2004 3:21:21 AM   
Frank W.

quote:

quote:

mhh.. if there weren´t all those people living 100 years that are were using drugs in masses, smoked and were alcoholics....

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 225
RE: Anyone here who wants to buy my Game? - 7/10/2004 3:27:28 AM   
Frank W.

btw: the issue is crystal clear:

the thread starter and other ppl. who had to pay over the stated
"total" price should get a refund of the over charged money.

or they can give back the product and get their money back...

at least in germany´s laws.

it´s called " rückgängigmachen des kaufvertrages" ( "falsche angaben
in der rechnung" ist ein grund der dazu berechtigen würde ).

after all i think back to the good old days, were games were disks
or cd´s with printed hand books and not "digital downloads", where
the DM still was our currency and the wall still stood

(in reply to Frank W.)
Post #: 226
RE: Anyone here who wants to buy my Game? - 7/10/2004 4:52:24 AM   
*Lava*

quote:

ORIGINAL: Frank W.

after all i think back to the good old days, were games were disks
or cd´s with printed hand books and not "digital downloads", where
the DM still was our currency and the wall still stood

Hi!

Bold is mine.

What an interesting comment.

Ray (alias Lava)

(in reply to Frank W.)
Post #: 227
RE: Anyone here who wants to buy my Game? - 7/10/2004 12:34:25 PM   
Didz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lava
and the wall still stood

I suspect this is an example of a colloquial phase that has found its way into local language following a major event.

In Germany many things will be classified as 'while the wall still stood' or 'after the wall had fallen', as this represented a major change German history.

In Britain for instance we now use a phase 'dead in the wood' to suggest the consequences of being honest at the wrong time. e.g. If I told my wife about this I'd be dead in the wood. This is obviously linked to the fate of Dr David Kelly.

Didz
Fortis balore et armis

(in reply to *Lava*)
Post #: 228
RE: Anyone here who wants to buy my Game? - 7/10/2004 5:48:29 PM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

ORIGINAL: Didz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lava
and the wall still stood

I suspect this is an example of a colloquial phase that has found its way into local language following a major event.

In Germany many things will be classified as 'while the wall still stood' or 'after the wall had fallen', as this represented a major change German history.

In Britain for instance we now use a phase 'dead in the wood' to suggest the consequences of being honest at the wrong time. e.g. If I told my wife about this I'd be dead in the wood. This is obviously linked to the fate of Dr David Kelly.

Yes, you´re right. It´s a colloquial phrase. a pretty popular one actually. both in West and East

(in reply to Didz)
Post #: 229
RE: Anyone here who wants to buy my Game? - 7/12/2004 10:37:27 AM   
Maliki

This is pretty interesting.Even within the states you could expect to pay a higher price for a product then in other states,theres so many factors affecting price that it would be hard to give an example.I'm not saying this is so for games,as they seem to have a fixed price.But some years back.im not sure if this was so everywhere.I once bought Liberty or Death at a Babbages,i couldn't find it anywhere else,for $75.00 after taxes..now imagine my suprise and consternation when i saw the same game a week later in another store for $15.00 less..moral of the story is that if you want something bad enough,and depending upon location,then you're going to pay for it

"..if you want to make a baby cry, first you give it a lollipop. Then you take it away."

Post #: 230
RE: Anyone here who wants to buy my Game? - 7/12/2004 2:06:55 PM   
Belisarius

quote:

ORIGINAL: Maliki

This is pretty interesting.Even within the states you could expect to pay a higher price for a product then in other states,theres so many factors affecting price that it would be hard to give an example.I'm not saying this is so for games,as they seem to have a fixed price.But some years back.im not sure if this was so everywhere.I once bought Liberty or Death at a Babbages,i couldn't find it anywhere else,for $75.00 after taxes..now imagine my suprise and consternation when i saw the same game a week later in another store for $15.00 less..moral of the story is that if you want something bad enough,and depending upon location,then you're going to pay for it

Maliki, that's a very good wrap-up of the mechanics of the Free Market.
Nicely put. If I paste it into one of my reports, I'll be sure to cite you.

< Message edited by Belisarius -- 7/12/2004 1:07:15 PM >

Got StuG?

(in reply to Maliki)
Post #: 231
RE: Anyone here who wants to buy my Game? - 7/12/2004 4:32:22 PM   
riverbravo

I was wondering if any yanks have ever ordered any games from Europe and had any extra taxes added on.

Something like this happened with Squad Assault and GMX and the the overseas shipping dealio.

It seems to me the Euro's have always liked to tax the heck out of anything they can and a wargame is no different obviously.

If the VAT is causing so much grief then just waite and see if the price comes down.

I laugh at hurricanes!

(in reply to Hartley)
Post #: 232
RE: Anyone here who wants to buy my Game? - 7/12/2004 6:56:49 PM   
dinsdale

quote:

ORIGINAL: riverbravo

I was wondering if any yanks have ever ordered any games from Europe and had any extra taxes added on.

Something like this happened with Squad Assault and GMX and the the overseas shipping dealio.

It seems to me the Euro's have always liked to tax the heck out of anything they can and a wargame is no different obviously.

If the VAT is causing so much grief then just waite and see if the price comes down.

Yes, I had to pay VAT on Crusader Kings ordered from Paradox's site. My girlfriend ordered a soccer shirt without VAT and had the delivery company charge her for customs duty.

I'm not sure VAT is supposed to be charged on exports outside the EU.

(in reply to riverbravo)
Post #: 233
RE: Anyone here who wants to buy my Game? - 7/13/2004 5:55:19 AM   
Cmdrcain

quote:

ORIGINAL: dinsdale

quote:

ORIGINAL: riverbravo

Yes, I had to pay VAT on Crusader Kings ordered from Paradox's site. My girlfriend ordered a soccer shirt without VAT and had the delivery company charge her for customs duty.

I'm not sure VAT is supposed to be charged on exports outside the EU.

VAT I don't think is legal to be charged to someone in a nation outside the EU

However if its from a Company in an EU nation which has an office in or presence in a US State, they might need to charge the sales tax, its all an questionable thing, however custom duties sure can be charged either way, but the VAT tax I cant see being charged, USA isn't part of the EU

(in reply to dinsdale)
Post #: 234
RE: Anyone here who wants to buy my Game? - 7/13/2004 12:20:05 PM   
Didz

Under new rules due to come into force aboooout NOW!

Non EU companies seeling goods on-line to EU customers will be require to register with an EU state for VAT purposes and charge VAT on its sales even if the product is downloaded off the internet.

The online retailer - or 'e-tailer' - will levy VAT on all sales to EU customers at the rate applied by the country it is registered with.

Now which EU state has the lowest VAT I wonder?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/1973390.stm

Certainly not the UK.

A spokesperson for the US Treasury said the US was concerned about "the potential for discrimination against non-EU companies in terms of the tax rates to be charged".

A US Treasury spokesman has threatened to refer the issue to the World Trade Organisation claiming that it could be used to shut non-EU firms out of the market.

< Message edited by Didz -- 7/13/2004 10:23:10 AM >

Didz
Fortis balore et armis

(in reply to Cmdrcain)
Post #: 235
RE: Anyone here who wants to buy my Game? - 7/13/2004 12:39:49 PM   
frank1970

quote:

A US Treasury spokesman has threatened to refer the issue to the World Trade Organisation claiming that it could be used to shut non-EU firms out of the market.

Blah blah blah, Europeans bad, blah blah, won´t buy our hormone cows, blah, blah, blah, don´t like our Gene food, blah, blah, blah....

I am very happy that the US don´t put tax on products from EU sold in the USA.

If you like what I said love me,if you dislike what I say ignore me!

"Extra Bavaria non est vita! Et sic est vita non est ita!"

(in reply to Didz)
Post #: 236
RE: Anyone here who wants to buy my Game? - 7/13/2004 4:24:19 PM   
Didz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Frank
I am very happy that the US don´t put tax on products from EU sold in the USA.

So, am I. But I think the issue is that some EU firms are adding VAT to products sold to US customers not the other way round.

At least thats the impression I got. I think the EU are so concerned that one of their citisen's might avoid paying VAT (Very Annoying Tax) that they have decided charging someone from the US extra by accident is a small price to pay.

Didz
Fortis balore et armis

(in reply to frank1970)
Post #: 237
RE: Anyone here who wants to buy my Game? - 7/13/2004 4:55:44 PM   
dinsdale

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cmdrcain
VAT I don't think is legal to be charged to someone in a nation outside the EU

Correct, but rather than write an 9 page thread whining about it I decided to suck it up Two options, buy or not buy. In the end, the inequity of having to pay an extra 5 or 6 euros wasn't enough to pump me up as though I were participating in the Boston Tea Party

quote:

However if its from a Company in an EU nation which has an office in or presence in a US State, they might need to charge the sales tax, its all an questionable thing, however custom duties sure can be charged either way, but the VAT tax I cant see being charged, USA isn't part of the EU

Yes, they definately have no prescence outside of Sweden, so that wouldn't be an issue. More that this is their first foray into online sales, the game sells at a discount anyway. Rather than publically berate them and claim that it part of the one world conspiracy, I sent an email explaining that I thought it incorrect and they said they'll look into it.

One of the reasons why VAT is being cracked down in in Europe is that most nations fund their EU contributions from the tax. A government body gets very protective when it's source of income can be bypassed.

(in reply to Cmdrcain)
Post #: 238
RE: Anyone here who wants to buy my Game? - 7/13/2004 7:07:49 PM   
pterrok

I've read a couple of pages on the various ways people are taxed--it's actually kind of fascinating...Maybe Matrix has to publish a 'Sim Tax' game so that governments can virtually implement various tax strategies and see what keeps all the little people happy!

(in reply to dinsdale)
Post #: 239
RE: Anyone here who wants to buy my Game? - 7/13/2004 11:42:09 PM   
Didz

quote:

ORIGINAL: pterrok
I've read a couple of pages on the various ways people are taxed--it's actually kind of fascinating...Maybe Matrix has to publish a 'Sim Tax' game so that governments can virtually implement various tax strategies and see what keeps all the little people happy!

The history of taxation is actually very interesting.

Did you know for example that Income Tax was first introduced in Britain as a temporary tax to pay for new naval ships to defend Britain from invasion by Napoleon?

In the past the British government have taxed people on the basis of:

How many windows their house has (The Window Tax) causing many house owners to brick up their windows and how many petticoats the women of the house wore under their skirts, (The Petticoat Tax) which led to a change in fashion.

Didz
Fortis balore et armis

(in reply to pterrok)
Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 7 [8] 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Anyone here who wants to buy my Game? Page: <<   < prev  5 6 7 [8] 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI