Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

dogs against tanks

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> dogs against tanks Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
dogs against tanks - 1/10/2002 8:13:00 PM   
izhidov

Here we go again. New unit for Eastern Front. SU: AT Dog Similar to JA suicide AT team.

Duck!
Post #: 1
- 1/10/2002 8:28:00 PM   
Svennemir

True, the Soviets trained dogs to run under vehicles (by putting food under the vehicles). Then they were given some explosives and used against the Germans. Rather frightening, but they were (AFAIK) not very successful, since they were easy targets while not seeking cover.

(in reply to izhidov)
Post #: 2
- 1/10/2002 8:48:00 PM   
panda124c

quote:

Originally posted by Svennemir:
True, the Soviets trained dogs to run under vehicles (by putting food under the vehicles). Then they were given some explosives and used against the Germans. Rather frightening, but they were (AFAIK) not very successful, since they were easy targets while not seeking cover.

On of the main problems with the dogs was they were trained to run under tanks by being fed under Soviet tanks, unfortunatly the dogs could tell the difference between German and Russian tanks so they would run under the Soviet tanks instead of the German one. Just goes to show what happens when your sucide units are too smart.

(in reply to izhidov)
Post #: 3
- 1/10/2002 8:56:00 PM   
izhidov

So do you think that dualism, the unit randomly picking a target, froend or foe, can be modeled in the game. :-)

Duck!

(in reply to izhidov)
Post #: 4
- 1/22/2002 8:28:00 PM   
izhidov

"The Soviet Red Army once trained dogs to destroy enemy tanks. The dogs were trained to associate the underside of tanks with food and were fitted with a 26lb explosive device strapped to their backs. Once the dogs crawled under the tanks, the device was triggered and exploded destroying the tank (and of course the dog). Unfortunately this didn't always work as planned as the dogs were trained using Soviet tanks so were more likely to run under these than the German tanks. As many as 25 German tanks were put out of action this way during the battles for Stalingrad and Kursk."

Duck!

(in reply to izhidov)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> dogs against tanks Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI