Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Tastes great or less filling?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Tastes great or less filling? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Tastes great or less filling? - 7/14/2004 8:58:02 PM   
Poopyhead

Do you prefer to charge after the VH's and go "toe to toe" with your opponent (tastes great!) or do you prefer to pound them just enough until their morale breaks and they run away (less filling)?
(I'm partial to eliminating A0 with an end run and pinning his evil minions with artillery until they rout off the map.)
Post #: 1
RE: Tastes great or less filling? - 7/14/2004 10:57:27 PM   
ILCK

I'm a pretty conservative player right now.

I usually, in an advance scenario, like to take a defensive positino overlooking the VH's and then smash by foes from cover/advantageous terrain and then counterattack when he's weak. My current AAR, whihc no one will comment on so I'm plugging it a bit, shows some of how I handle the meeting enagement.

Even on assault missions I much prefer to penetrate a small area of the line and then size rear area VH's whihc makes the foe leave the carefully situated defenses and then come to my defensive forces. In this type of fight my goal is less to kill than to suppress so I can move by forces.

(in reply to Poopyhead)
Post #: 2
RE: Tastes great or less filling? - 7/15/2004 8:15:52 PM   
Marek Tucan

A bit of my view, altough from modern-era, I tend to ypply it also in WWII...

1) seize good defensive positions and hills with large spaces of clear terrain under them.
2) Destry enemy by long-range fire with long-range weapons (TOWs, MBT guns), try to take as much side shots as possible. Short-ranged weapons guard long-ranged against any enemy surviving long enough to get into their range - in the last battle I was surprised how effective was the combination of M113 and 106mm RR - no T-62 got to my M60s...
3) When enemy is effectively reduced and retreating, go for VH's (or rest of them if it was meeting). send light recon and inf. first to sniff out ambushes.

So I tend to avoid close-ranged melees, I'd rather retreat, if it isn't situation like imobilised and buttoned tank in the middle of smoke blocking road I need tro use.
However, when enemy otguns me or has too strong armour, the only choice is to go at close range and try to outflank him - T-34 vs. Tiger (Altough I tend to backup in such cases T's with soem decent AT platform - SU-57 or 57mm gun with fast tractor...)

Tuccy

(in reply to ILCK)
Post #: 3
RE: Tastes great or less filling? - 7/16/2004 3:42:48 PM   
TheChin

I guess I play according to my current nation's strenghth's/weakness's during the current battle timeframe. Usually it breaks down to:

U.S.: Recon forward, Barrage, Barrage, Barrage, Advance
U.K.: Hunker Down, Smoke the oncoming approaches, Barrage, Wait for the Hun's with op-fire
Germans: Recon, Barrage, Advance, Advance, Advance
U.S.S.R: Barrage*3, Advance
Japan: Advance, Advance, Advance and Advance some more.

"Conan, what is best in life?"
"To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!"

(in reply to Marek Tucan)
Post #: 4
RE: Tastes great or less filling? - 7/16/2004 10:30:53 PM   
Maciste

I'm currently playing with Russians in WWII solitaire campaign and I'm damned sure that I'll only run amok when facing those puny Italian, Romanian or Hungarian forces (love to smash Turans with my KV1C . But against German... jeeez, I pour over them every shell I can afford and, if they seem routed, I shell them again. They're quite a tough nut to crack, and, when avancing, I hate seeing my tanks getting assaulted for those infantry squads that I didn't even notice. So, when a tank of mine is blown up, I retreat my forces and call for Support arty (I love Katyushas, by the way )

(in reply to TheChin)
Post #: 5
RE: Tastes great or less filling? - 7/17/2004 1:03:10 PM   
Warrior2

Attack, attack, attack!

(in reply to Poopyhead)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Tastes great or less filling? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI