Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

any good books?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> any good books? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
any good books? - 7/16/2004 2:10:13 AM   
MythicalMino

Hey, you all...i know that many of you have books and books and books about the War in the Pacific....

So, what books are really good? Are there any real good ones that cover the battles and ships/planes in depth?

Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: any good books? - 7/16/2004 2:37:46 AM   
MythicalMino

I just bought 3 books from Amazon.com

1. Eagle Against the Sun: The American War With Japan by Ronald H. Spector

2. PACIFIC CAMPAIGN: THE U.S.-JAPANESE NAVAL WAR 1941-1945 by Dan Van der Vat

3. The Pacific War by John Costello

I am hoping that these are as good as they sound. I am really wanting something that will "teach" me the strategy used in the Pacific.

(in reply to MythicalMino)
Post #: 2
RE: any good books? - 7/16/2004 3:08:50 AM   
kev_uk

I asked this question a while ago...do a search on 'good books' with my username (too tired to dig it out)

Anyway, I am just approaching the conclusion of 'Fire in the Sky' by Eric Bergerud, which is about the air war in the South Pacific; its very interesting as it deals with the Uncommon Valour theatre/timeline. Wish I had read it ages ago now, but it is mainly about the Allied side of things.

The other one on my list is 'The Rising Sun: the decline and fall of the Japanese Empire' by John Toland. This looks pretty good, won Pulitzer prize and all that.

Would like some books written by Japanese folk as well, and apart from 'Samurai' by Sakai (the ace) cant seem to find a whole lot.
Cheers
Kevin

Post #: 3
RE: any good books? - 7/16/2004 3:17:43 AM   
Yank

Read all three. I liked the Costello book the best and the Van der Vat book the least. I thought the Costello book was the best in terms of content and by far the most enjoyable to read. It is well written.

Ils ne passeront pas

Post #: 4
RE: any good books? - 7/16/2004 3:19:00 AM   
Titanwarrior89

"But not in Shame"---- Toland, very good book on the fall of PI.
quote:

ORIGINAL: MythicalMino

Hey, you all...i know that many of you have books and books and books about the War in the Pacific....

So, what books are really good? Are there any real good ones that cover the battles and ships/planes in depth?

Thanks

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

Post #: 5
RE: any good books? - 7/16/2004 3:44:45 AM   
maddog0606

quote:

So, what books are really good?

How many books you want to read? I just started reading History of United States Naval Operations in World War II by Samuel Eliot Morison. There are 15 (yes 15) volumes in this series. About 300 pages each. Nine of the volumes have to do with the War in the Pacific. Got em at the local library. The author uses info that was gathered after the war from all sides who participated. But concentrates on what happened between the US and Japan.

Post #: 6
RE: any good books? - 7/16/2004 4:13:47 AM   
RayM

From an older post:

If it is the Pacific theater, I would recommend the following (in no particular order):

* Destroyer Squadron 23: Combat Exploits of Arleigh Burke's Gallant Force, Ken Jones

* US Army in WWII Series: Victory in Papua, Samuel Milner

* US Army in WWII Series: CARTWHEEL - The Reduction of Rabaul, John Miller

* US Army in WWII: Guadalcanal - The First Offensive

* The Shame of Savo, Bruce Loxton w/Chris Coulthard-Clark

* Disaster in the Pacific - New Light on the Battle of Savo Island, Denis and Peggy Warner w/ Sadao Seno

* A Battle History of The Imperial Japanese Navy, Paul S. Dull

* The Naval Battle of Guadalcanal, James W. Grace

* The Battle of Cape Esperance, Charles Cook

* The Battle of Tassafaronga, Capt. (Ret) Rusell Crenshaw

* Guadalcanal: Starvation Island, Eric Hammel

*Guadalcanal: The Carrier Battles, Eric Hammel

* Guadalcanal: Decision at Sea, Eric Hammel

* Guadalcanal: The Definitive Account, Richard B. Frank (my personal favorite on the subject)

* Into the Shadows Furious : The Brutal Battle for New Georgia, Brian Altobello

* No Bended Knee: The Battle for Guadalcanal, Gen. Merrill B. Twining, USMC

* Guadalcanal, Edwin P. Hoyt

* The Glory of the Solomons, Edwin P. Hoyt (A good 1 volume of campaign up the chain after Guadalcanal)

* Savo, Richard Newcomb

* Bloody Ridge: The Battle that Saved Guadalcanal, Michael S. Smith

* South Pacific Destroyer: The Battle for the Solomons from Savo Island to Vella Gulf, Russell S. Crenshaw Jr.

* The Battle of Guadalcanal, Samuel B. Griffith

* Once A Marine, Gen. A. Vandergrift

* Several volumes from S. E. Morison's USN WWII history series.

* Empire in the Balance, H.P. Willmott

* The Barrier and the Javelin, H.P. Willmott

* The Second World War in the Far East, H.P. Willmott

And a few more:

* Guadalcanal Remembered, Herbert Merillat

* The Navy at Guadalcanal, Stan Smith (from 1963)

* Bloody Friday Off Guadalcanal, Lawerence Cortesi

* The Pacific War, Saburo Ienaga (1978)

* The Rising Sun, John Toland

* The End of The Imperial Japanese Navy, Masanori Ito (English translation, 1962)

* The First South Pacific Campaign: Pacific Fleet Staregy December 1941-June 1942, John B. Lundstrom

* The First Team: Naval Air Combat from Pearl harbor to Midway, John B. Lundstrom

* The First Team and the Guadalacnal Campaign, John B. Lundstrom

* Rising Sun Victorious: The Alternative History of How the Japanese Won the Pacific War (Interesting 'What If' book. There is also a similar book for the ETO and Eastern Front)

* Japan's War: The Great Pacific Conflict, Edwin P. Hoyt

*How They Won the War in the Pacific: Nimitz and His Admirals, Edwin P. Hoyt

* The Fighting Ships of the Rising Sun: The Drama of the Imperial Japanese Navy 1895-1945, Stephen Howarth

* The War with Japan:The Period in the Balance May 1942-October 1943, H.P. Willmott

* The Ghost that Died at Sunda Strait (Story of the USS Houston), W.G. Winslow

* The Pacific Campaign - WWII - The US-Japanese Naval War 1941-1945, Dan van der Vat

Really old stuff:

* Battle Report, Volumes I-V, Commander Walter Karig, et al, published 1944-1949. (Great photos and battle maps)

Vol I: Pearl Harbor to Coral Sea
Vol II: The Atlantic War
Vol III: Pacific War - Middle Phase
Vol IV: The End of an Empire
Vol V: Victory in the Pacific

Enjoy!

RayM

(in reply to maddog0606)
Post #: 7
RE: any good books? - 7/16/2004 4:19:12 AM   
von Murrin

I don't see Richard B. Frank's Guadalcanal or Combined Fleed Decoded by John Prados.

The first is the most readable account on the subject I've ever read that manages to maintain high detail, and the second is THE source for Allied and Japanese intelligence services.

I give approximately two fifths of a !#$% at any given time!

(in reply to RayM)
Post #: 8
RE: any good books? - 7/16/2004 4:23:40 AM   
RayM

von Murrin:

You are so right! Can't believe I left Frank's book off my list. I agree that it is probably the best volume ever on Guadalcanal. My personal favorite.

Agree with your Prado assessment too.

RayM

< Message edited by RayM -- 7/15/2004 9:24:22 PM >

(in reply to von Murrin)
Post #: 9
RE: any good books? - 7/16/2004 4:29:36 AM   
von Murrin

Well, you did put quite a few of Hoyt's books on your list, and he's top notch also.

I give approximately two fifths of a !#$% at any given time!

(in reply to RayM)
Post #: 10
RE: any good books? - 7/16/2004 5:26:03 AM   
VI66_slith

Also:

1. Toched by Fire -
2. Fire in The Sky -
both by Bergerud, Eric M.

3. Utmost Savagery -
4. Edson's Radiers -
5. Storm Landings -
all by Alexander, Joseph H.

6. With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa -
by Sledge, Eugene B.

Thanks for listing all the great titles, I'm going to pic up a few. I need The Battle of Tassafaronga and Richard B. Frank's Guadalcanal to help round out my effort to learn about Guadalcanal. Does anyone know of a good book about Bouganville? Munda? Rabaul? I'm looking for books on the specific topics, not general subject books that would cover the entire South Pacific. They seem to be hard to find.

< Message edited by VI66 -- 7/15/2004 10:27:03 PM >

"Many, who should know better, think that wars can be decided by soulless machines, rather than by the blood and anguish of brave men." ~Patton

(in reply to von Murrin)
Post #: 11
RE: any good books? - 7/16/2004 5:31:24 AM   
doktor1957

"Tenozoan", I can't remember the author's name, strips all the glory away from Okinawa and reveals it for the meatgrinder it was.

(in reply to VI66_slith)
Post #: 12
RE: any good books? - 7/16/2004 7:02:25 AM   
kaleun

Tenozoan", I can't remember the author's name, strips all the glory away from Okinawa and reveals it for the meatgrinder it was. , thought it was great

I got it too; great book; it is actually spelled Tennozan.

< Message edited by kaleun -- 7/16/2004 4:00:08 AM >

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to doktor1957)
Post #: 13
RE: any good books? - 7/16/2004 7:29:11 AM   
ian77

I would also add "Divine Thunder" by Bernard Millot, to the list.

(in reply to VI66_slith)
Post #: 14
RE: any good books? - 7/16/2004 7:37:37 AM   
Jack Shelak

I would second A Battle History of The Imperial Japanese Navy by Paul S. Dull.

It describes many engagements in detail. So much detail in fact, that you can design your own scenarios based on them (if you have the time).

Post #: 15
RE: any good books? - 7/16/2004 10:31:43 AM   
Subchaser

I don’t want to post long title list, I will recommend only two good books I’ve finished to read this week.

Fortress Against the Sun: The B-17 Flying Fortress in the Pacific
by Gene Eric Salecker ISBN: 1580970494

Excellent book, well-written and well-researched, almost 400 pages. There is only one problem with this book, author did not bother to correct even the most obvious errors in veteran recollections, and you can get an impression that B-17s were the most deadly anti-shipping weapon of the war…however I didn’t noticed any serious inaccuracies in author’s text. This work has one very interesting appendix… the list of all B-17 of the pacific war, with serials, commanders, plane mottos, fates etc. You can’t imagine how many Forts were destroyed by strafing, amazing!

With the Fifth Army Air Force: Photos from the Pacific Theater
by James P. Gallagher ISBN: 0801868491

I haven’t seen so nicely illustrated book on pacific air war before. Personal memoirs of James Gallagher, air communication and liaison officer who served with many famous 5th AF units. Very interesting personal view on pacific war, you’ll get an idea how ground support services were working, how important air communications were, how radar and radio guys were providing valuable support to the flyboys. Do I have to say about tons of rare photos of amazing quality.

< Message edited by Subchaser -- 7/16/2004 11:38:43 AM >

Post #: 16
RE: any good books? - 7/16/2004 10:40:25 AM   
VI66_slith

quote:

I would also add "Divine Thunder" by Bernard Millot, to the list.

I'll be sure to check it out.

Thanks!

"Many, who should know better, think that wars can be decided by soulless machines, rather than by the blood and anguish of brave men." ~Patton

(in reply to Jack Shelak)
Post #: 17
RE: any good books? - 7/16/2004 2:36:06 PM   
Black Cat

War With Japan in 5 Volumes with 4 seperate Map Volumes by the British Naval Staff, published by the MOD in 1995, and sold through HMSO`s. May be out of print now.

Covers the whole Pacific War in much the same manner of S. E. Morison`s great history, but has interesting detail from the British side on their operations. Good OOB`s. I got the set from Men At Arms Books ( do a Google search ) a year or so ago and he may still have some sets.

Old Friends, New Enemies. The Royal Navy and Imperial Japanese Navy. Strategic Illusions 1936 -1941. by Arthur J. Marder. Published by the Oxford University Press in 1981. Marder wrote the best and most objective 5 Volume History of The RN in WW I, From Dreadnought to Scapa Flow. Goes into great detail on how Singapore came about, and the political as well Naval policies prewar.

< Message edited by Black Cat -- 7/16/2004 12:38:29 PM >

(in reply to VI66_slith)
Post #: 18
RE: any good books? - 7/16/2004 3:57:00 PM   
mccavage

Fleets of World War Two by Richard Preston - A very opinionated but fascinating look at the fleets by individual ship class and overall. A lot of the cachet some vessels have enjoyed get punctured when the actual designs and performance are examined.

(in reply to Black Cat)
Post #: 19
RE: any good books? - 7/16/2004 4:28:50 PM   
Grotius

I just finished the Costello book "The Pacific War," and it is indeed well-written and fun to read. It may not be the most scholarly treatment of the conflict in existence; it relies largely on secondary sources, and it occasionally engages in speculation that may stray beyond the available evidence. On the other hand, that's why it's a fun read. It's more enjoyable than many more scholarly books, like the recent "Eagle and Rising Sun," which is informative but over-written.

I was hanging out with some historians this week, and I asked about definitive treatments of the Pacific War. I got varying responses, but one uniform response on a general history of World War II as a whole: Gerald Weinberg's "A World at Arms" (Cambridge U. Press, 1994 I think). It's a fascinating global history by a highly respected historian. His focus is more on the "why" than the "how" of the war, and he's not afraid to take on conventional wisdom. The writing is not quite as lively as Costello, but the scholarship is much stronger: he did his time in the British, German and American archives, and he did the translating himself.

< Message edited by Grotius -- 7/16/2004 2:29:40 PM >

(in reply to mccavage)
Post #: 20
RE: any good books? - 7/16/2004 5:08:13 PM   
MengCiao

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yank

Read all three. I liked the Costello book the best and the Van der Vat book the least. I thought the Costello book was the best in terms of content and by far the most enjoyable to read. It is well written.

Yeap...the Costello book is a very good book.

The corpus of a thousand battles rises from the flood.

(in reply to Yank)
Post #: 21
RE: any good books? - 7/17/2004 3:45:07 AM   
RayM

v166:

A few books dealing with specific locations:

Tarawa: (BTW, Lots of books for this battle)

Mantle of Heroism: Tarawa and the Struggle for the Gilberts, Nov. 1943; Michael B. Graham

Bougainville:

Bougainville 1943-1945: The Forgotten Campaign; Harry A. Gailey

New Georgia:

Into the Shadows Furious: The Brutal Battle for New Georgia; Brian Altobello

Saipan:

Battling for Saipan; Francis A. O'Brien

The Solomon Islands chain:

The Solomons Campaigns: From Guadalcanal to Bougainville - Pacific War Turning Point; Willliam L. McGee

The Glory of the Solomons; Edwin P. Hoyt

RayM

< Message edited by RayM -- 7/16/2004 8:48:38 PM >

(in reply to MengCiao)
Post #: 22
RE: any good books? - 7/17/2004 4:04:54 AM   
SunDevil_MatrixForum

Maybe this thread can be stickied at the top?

(in reply to RayM)
Post #: 23
RE: any good books? - 7/17/2004 4:17:30 AM   
DrewMatrix

In addition to just searching Amazon, also remember to search:

http://www.usni.org/ (The US Naval Institute) and

http://www.usni.org/press/press.html (the Book Publishing section)

The US Naval Institute has LOTS on all eras of naval history, but mostly WWII and modern.

I agree with many of the recomendations above. I would also mention an odd book: "A Handful of Emeralds" by Joseph Meredith. This is at usni.org press.

Meredith was an officer in WWII, but then immediately after the war (late 1940s) commanded a DE in the western Pacific. In this book he revisits the WWII battle sites, particularly the Marianas. He is the US Marshal, the tow truck for stranded ships, the game warden, the ambulance and the only authority for hundreds of miles in any direction as a young officer commanding his own (small) ship.

Highly recommended for its flavor of being at sea and all alone, and for the views of Saipan etc right after the war. More like "Mr. Roberts" than a history, but a true account/

(in reply to SunDevil_MatrixForum)
Post #: 24
RE: any good books? - 7/17/2004 6:13:56 AM   
VI66_slith

Hi!

RayM,

The Boganville book is just what the doctor ordered.

Thanks!

(in reply to RayM)
Post #: 25
RE: any good books? - 7/17/2004 6:14:47 AM   
SunDevil_MatrixForum

This is a great list guys, keep on adding them if you find more.

(in reply to VI66_slith)
Post #: 26
RE: any good books? - 7/17/2004 6:18:10 AM   
brisd

quote:

I am hoping that these are as good as they sound. I am really wanting something that will "teach" me the strategy used in the Pacific.

I've read the first two and am currently reading the last one, which is the biggest of the bunch. I recommend them all.

"I propose to fight it out on this line if it takes all summer."-Note sent with Congressman Washburne from Spotsylvania, May 11, 1864, to General Halleck. - General Ulysses S. Grant

Post #: 27
RE: any good books? - 7/17/2004 8:55:55 AM   
Cmdrcain

quote:

#1 and #3 I have and their good, so is Tolands.
Theres also Midway, Gudacanal, Rising Sun, authors escape my Memory.

Theres Many good Books out there.

Noise? What Noise? It's sooooo quiet and Peaceful!

Battlestar Pegasus

Post #: 28
RE: any good books? - 7/17/2004 9:03:13 AM   
Cmdrcain

Good one, it is based on japanese documents so gives viewpoints from that side.

Good too

This is the Gudalcanel book In prior post I made

Good one

* The End of The Imperial Japanese Navy, Masanori Ito (English translation, 1962)

I've been looking for this

* Rising Sun Victorious: The Alternative History of How the Japanese Won the Pacific War (Interesting 'What If' book. There is also a similar book for the ETO and Eastern Front)

It is indeed interesting

Good one

Noise? What Noise? It's sooooo quiet and Peaceful!

Battlestar Pegasus

(in reply to RayM)
Post #: 29
RE: any good books? - 7/17/2004 12:38:06 PM   
52nd Lowland

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cmdrcain

Good one, it is based on japanese documents so gives viewpoints from that side.

Good too

This is the Gudalcanel book In prior post I made

Good one

I've been looking for this

It is indeed interesting

Good one

Theres some good alternative scenarios in that book that could be turned out for scenarios for WitP,such as the Japanese invasion of Australia or the War Plan Orange Chapter.

I would also add Downfall : The end of the Imperial Japanese Empire - which covers the US and Japanese plans for the decisive battle to come in Japan.
Also two works of fiction on Operation Olympic : The Burning Mountain by Alfred Coppel and Lighter that a Feather by David Westheimer.

< Message edited by 52nd Lowland -- 7/17/2004 10:44:44 AM >

(in reply to Cmdrcain)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> any good books? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI