Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Surrender = zero pts???

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Surrender = zero pts??? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Surrender = zero pts??? - 1/11/2002 10:54:00 PM   
ZinZan

In a recent game I surrendered after about 12 turns, the result screen popped up and gave my opponent a resounding victory and scored the points as 0 v. 0 ???? Any idea whether this is a bug?? or something weird. I have the save game available if anyone wants a look. I only need a score for Combat Command. Anyone have a good guess as to reasonable approximation we had 5k pts apiece and vict hexes were worthapprox 2200pts. Some further details of game below. Ver 7.0 running on WinME
Encounter 1945 Japanese vs USA
All options on

ZinZan <br/> Peace is an extension of war by political means. Plenty of elbow room is pleasanter - and much safer. <br/> Lazarus Long, Time Enough For Love by Robert Heinlein.
Post #: 1
- 1/12/2002 12:18:00 AM   
Redleg

The surrender function was added as an "honorable" way to terminate a hopeless pbem or online battle without just fading away or having to suffer through to the bitter end of a battle gone bad. A giant waste of time and source of hard feelings. Before F9, one player would have to announce (ask) for permission to surrender. Ridiculous. At the time, it was discovered that the "winner" should get a decisive victory. Said another way, the surrendering player should not be able to improve his situation by surrendering. This is because in testing, it was realised that it was possible to do a pbem v-hex grab early in the game and then surrender before the opponent could counter-attack. Another example of how the unscrupulous dictate a lot of how the game plays. Only the beta test team and developers know how much time, thought and effort went into trying to prevent cheating.

(in reply to ZinZan)
Post #: 2
- 1/12/2002 1:53:00 AM   
Alexandra

And even if it wasn't put in for Combat Command, it makes sense for you to get zero points if you surrender! If you surrender, you aren't holding terrain, or even falling back to hold some part of the line. You are - at best - marched off to POW camps - and, at worst, shot and left in a ditch. In either event, your mission failed and you should get zero points. Alex

"Tonight a dynasty is born." Ricky Proehl, then of the Saint Louis Rams. He was right! Go Pats! Winners of Super Bowls 36, 38 and 39.

(in reply to ZinZan)
Post #: 3
- 1/12/2002 3:08:00 AM   
ZinZan

A Clarification We BOTH scored 0pts. I have NO problem with the idea of surrendering, I did so as I had no hope of even getting a losing draw, and didn't wanty to waste either my own or my opponents time. I have surrendered in previous games (using ver 6.1) for this very reason and the points worked out properly. The score is important for Combat Command, I was wondering what score people thought would be fair (for my opponents sake)

ZinZan <br/> Peace is an extension of war by political means. Plenty of elbow room is pleasanter - and much safer. <br/> Lazarus Long, Time Enough For Love by Robert Heinlein.

(in reply to ZinZan)
Post #: 4
- 1/12/2002 4:25:00 AM   
oldrocky

The opponent gets to play his turn then the score will show.

(in reply to ZinZan)
Post #: 5
- 1/12/2002 12:42:00 PM   
Paul Vebber

The correct score will appear to the player ACCEPTING the surrender.

(in reply to ZinZan)
Post #: 6
- 1/13/2002 5:13:00 PM   
Scorpion_sk

quote:

If you surrender, you aren't holding terrain, or even falling back to hold some part of the line. You are - at best - marched off to POW camps - and, at worst, shot and left in a ditch
Nah, don´t think of as a surrender in the game world.
Imho it just means surrendering the battle to your opponent, not necessarily your troops.
Naturally they will do their best to retreat (and this, I believe, is the normal way to end battles-one side chooses to retreat rather than face annihilation-not because "time´s up" (meaning tea break for the brits and sundown for the others, I guess. Or sometimes the appearance of key reinforcement units).
Naturally, oftentimes battles were fought until one side or the other was in pieces.

(in reply to ZinZan)
Post #: 7
- 1/13/2002 6:12:00 PM   
ZinZan

Many thanks for the replies, the only ything I can think of to say is "Doh". I knew that I really did

(in reply to ZinZan)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Surrender = zero pts??? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI