Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Why was Patton so great?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Why was Patton so great? Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/15/2004 5:04:34 PM   
Von Rom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ludovic Coval

von Rom,

quote:

In this thread, I, and I alone, have attempted to represent and defend the memory of General George S. Patton, one of the most maligned, yet misunderstood men, of the past century. A man who is truly worthy of our respect and admiration.

Question of point of view I guess. It simply turned that most others posters dont share your views about Patton which were, for me, execessively good for him. Patton was probably not as good you depict him while Bradley and Ike probably better (without speaking of Collins who was likely as good than Patton altough he was never given an army.)

LC

I never judge the correctness of an issue simply by the number of people lined up behind it.

I hope I have more courage and morale fibre than that.

There are over 10,000 members on this forum, yet only 4 or 5 have stated they were against Patton. I don't think the numbers justify your conclusion.

If the rightness of an issue depended on just numbers alone, then clearly Galileo (only ONE person who believed the world was round) was clearly wrong, when he was confronted by ALL the Religious and Civil Authorities (who declared the world was flat).

Have a nice day

< Message edited by Von Rom -- 7/15/2004 4:56:58 PM >

(in reply to Ludovic Coval)
Post #: 271
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/15/2004 5:21:44 PM   
Von Rom

Ironduke:

I am also looking forward to seeing your indepth analysis and explanations about the so-called "brilliant" German BlitzKrieg victories against their inferior opponents between Sept 1939 to Jan 1942.

Cheers!

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 272
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/15/2004 5:38:49 PM   
Von Rom

*** NEWS ITEM ***

PATTON SECOND YANK GIVEN VERDUN MEDAL; PERSHING ONLY OTHER

Metz, France, Nov. 25 -(AP)-

General George S. Patton, former U.S. Third Army Commander, today received the Medal of Verdun, an honor accorded to only one other American, General of the Armies John J. Pershing. The award was part of the military and civil ceremonies celebrating the first anniversary of the Third Army's liberation of Metz and surrounding towns.

Patton was made an honorary citizen of Metz, Thionville, Toul, Verdun, Sarreguemines, and the City of Luxembourg. The U.S. Twentieth Corps Commander, Lt. Gen. Walton H. Walker, was made an honorary citizen of Thionville.

General Walker gave a cowboy hat to the Mayor of Metz, in the name of the City of Dallas, Texas.

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 273
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/15/2004 5:45:41 PM   
Von Rom

Regarding The Battle of Metz

When Patton died, an “official history” was agreed upon and corroborated by Bradley, Eisenhower and Montgomery. They blamed each other for various aspects, but in the main part "fudged the truth" about the true cause of each’s largest disasters: Market Garden, Caen, Hurtgen, the Battle of the Bulge, the failure to capture Berlin, the failure to keep all of the armies supplied, the failure to take Prague, the failure to close off the Falaise Gap and seal the fate of the 11 German divisions trapped there; each had an “official” cause, an “official” whipping boy. Documents from each of these episodes were fudged while others were removed, destroyed and tampered with; and the generals corroborated each others stories in their memoirs.

The reason why the generals cooperated so well on this issue was because each of them had made mistakes. Each had committed an atrocious disaster which they felt had to be kept from public knowledge. Only one general, Patton, had never lost thousands of men on a hopelessly mismanaged mission. If a spiteful general were to bring up the Battle of Metz, the Third’s most bloody battle, Patton could counter that there were 3 dead Germans to 1 dead American, even in that desperate battle. And the Battle for Metz would never be investigated because investigation would only uncover the damning evidence of SHAEF’s decision to starve Third Army of supplies, and Com Z’s negligence and wastefulness in keeping the armies supplied.

< Message edited by Von Rom -- 7/15/2004 5:02:12 PM >

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 274
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/16/2004 12:44:47 AM   
Ludovic Coval

von Rom,

quote:

There are over 10,000 members on this forum, yet only 4 or 5 have stated they were against Patton. I don't think the numbers justify your conclusion.

Obviously my conclusion were not that others poster (i.e those who posted in *this* thread) are right or false but that, as you pointed out, you were alone (posting) on *your* side.

quote:

Have a nice day

Thanks, you too

LC

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 275
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/16/2004 12:57:56 AM   
Von Rom

quote:

von Rom,

quote:

Obviously my conclusion were not that others poster (i.e those who posted in *this* thread) are right or false but that, as you pointed out, you were alone (posting) on *your* side.

quote:

Have a nice day

Thanks, you too

LC

Hi

Well, it's mostly been Ironduke who has been posting for the opposing side, so it looks as though he is also all alone.

Usually, when a thread hits page 5 new-comers, etc hate to jump into an on-going debate.

I'm the same way - too messy

Actually, I'm having a grand 'ol time - enjoying it very much.

Thanks for stopping by

You have a nice day now.

Cheers!

Post #: 276
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/16/2004 1:10:20 AM   
paspunxra

I tend to argue with youre opinion of Patton. Compared to Montgomery the panzy, Patton was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Montgomery tended to quibble about his name getting in the paper and how prestigious he and his army were. Patton did not care at all about the politics and red tape. He wanted to end Nazi Germany as quickly as possible and his tactics, while unorthodox and dangerous, saved ultimately a lot of lives by doing just as the Germans had done, advance quickly and smash the opposition into the ground. He was certainly no amateur and he didnt care whether or not his men hated him, he just wanted them to fight. At that time, there was no other general that could have, or even attempted to drive the Germans back after their attacks during the Battle of the Bulge, he moved swiftly and decisively. Thats a lot better than Montgomery, who was winning against the Germans, but if he had been in overall command, the war would not have ended until 1960 (save the Russians)

(in reply to Huskalator)
Post #: 277
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/16/2004 1:39:12 AM   
Von Rom

quote:

ORIGINAL: paspunxra

I tend to argue with youre opinion of Patton. Compared to Montgomery the panzy, Patton was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Montgomery tended to quibble about his name getting in the paper and how prestigious he and his army were. Patton did not care at all about the politics and red tape. He wanted to end Nazi Germany as quickly as possible and his tactics, while unorthodox and dangerous, saved ultimately a lot of lives by doing just as the Germans had done, advance quickly and smash the opposition into the ground. He was certainly no amateur and he didnt care whether or not his men hated him, he just wanted them to fight. At that time, there was no other general that could have, or even attempted to drive the Germans back after their attacks during the Battle of the Bulge, he moved swiftly and decisively. Thats a lot better than Montgomery, who was winning against the Germans, but if he had been in overall command, the war would not have ended until 1960 (save the Russians)

paspunxra:

So true.

Patton saw first-hand the horrors of trench warfare in WW1.

That is why he vowed that an army must always be on the attack. Once you have your enemy off-balance, you must keep attacking him so he can't re-group.

Many of Patton's problems occurred when higher Allied Commanders interferred with his operations. Denying Third Army gas and supplies when he reached Metz is just one example.

This is also hard to fathom especially when you consider the astonishing record of success Patton and Third Army had achieved previous to this.

Both the Germans and Patton criticized the Allied Commanders for their timidity. By being cautious; by trying to prevent high Allied casualties; these same commanders caused high casualties.

Again, the example of Metz, where Patton could have easily secured it with few casualties if he had been given the fuel he requested. As a result of NOT getting the proper supplies, Third Army suffered terribly, especially in the very bad weather. According to Patton, Trenchfoot alone was causing more casualties among his men than the Germans. He cursed the boots the GIs were given and tried on numerous occasions to get proper foot wear for his men.

(in reply to paspunxra)
Post #: 278
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/16/2004 2:05:58 AM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

Ironduke:

You are making a point criticising me without reading what I have said. If you note from the first time I wrote this, and again the second time I included this the final section was in bold, I make it clear which words are Whitings, I include the others to provide context and show D'Este was making a very general point here most forcefully. If I can quote from the first time I wrote this in this thread:

quote:

Von Rom

With all due respect, but by including that entire quote (most of which does not belong to Whiting) you are giving the reader (who does not own D'Este's book) the FALSE impression that the entire quote belongs to Whiting. If you intented to refer to only the BOLD portion of that quote, you should have informed the reader that that portion, and that portion only, belongs to Whiting.

This is more frustration for me, Von Rom, and I think evidence for why this whole debate has turned sour. Anyone who read the thread this quote was taken from will know you've missed a crucial part of what I said out.

quote:

For those without access to this work, Mr Whiting's words (which Mr D'Este does not contradict but rather presents as evidence), are in bold in the following section quoted verbatim from pg 634 (Harper Collins 1996 paperback edition):

I tell people Whiting's words are in bold, I write it in bold, and now you tell me I was attempting to give a false impression????? The truth is staring all thread users in the face, and you still insist on saying the complete opposite is true!

I said:

quote:

It also shows he agreed with it.

You said:

quote:

No, it does not mean D'Este agreed with Whiting's quote. It means he has presented Patton's critics' point of view.

Von Rom, you have a phrase you use fairly frequently, I've used it in the section below.

When historians write books, they take the evidence and form an opinion. They then marshall the evidence to prove their opinion. (This isn't as evident on websites). When they quote, they do for one of two reasons and two reasons only. Firstly, they quote it to knock it down. Such as D'Este did to your Patton uncovered website in "Decision in Normandy". They quote and then they say "ah, but what this guy hasn't taken into account is..."

The other occasion is when they use someone else's words to describe or highlight something, because they agree with it, and know that the point has been made elsewhere, and by quoting rather than just restating the point, they give it extra weight because they prove other historians agree with them. Alternatively, it may be something outside their sphere of influence and they quote it because the historian is a recognised leader in that field. Did you not know this?

In this case, Whiting's reputation doesn't outshine D'Este, so he has quoted because he agrees with him. D'Este is writing a history, it is an interpretive history where he doesn't just tell you what Patton did, but why he did it, and whether it was any good. He would not quote something unless he either wanted to agree with it, or disagree with it. It is a reasonable assumption that he agrees with Whiting's quote because he did not qualify it in any way whatsoever.

I said:

quote:

I have admitted several good things about Patton. I've called him aggressive, I've called him more likely to succeed at Market Garden than Horrocks, I called him a good logistician. I've called him a driver of men.
Up until this point, I don't recall you admitting or accepting anything bad about Patton.

You said:

quote:

That is because you and others have been doing a fine job doing that all on your own. And at times unfairly.

Von Rom, another frustrating literary device. Refusing to admit something because of a reason like this is silly. Tell us what you feel, it will improve your impact in this thread if you show your view is balanced. I've tried as the list above shows.

I said:

quote:

How can you say this when you admit to not having read Whiting's work? We've established D'Este has the good and the bad, why might Whiting not have done the same?

You said:

quote:

You have Whiting's book "Battle of the Bulge". Post some quotes from that book where Whiting praises Patton.

I have two quotes, although not from Whiting, they were made in this thread:

quote:

Do I have to find everything for you?

Do some reading. . .

and

quote:

And no I am not doing any investigation.

Pretty frustrating isn't it? I can vouch for this.

quote:

While you're at it, could you post the reference Whiting uses for that quote you posted a while back about Patton encountering only 3 poor German units when he attacked at the Bulge?

Why would he reference it? Patton said of the three units he took: "Bradley, my best three divisions are 4th Armoured, the 80th and the 26th." Patton's own words.

The units in 352 Volksgrenadier Divisions Corp were 5th Parachute (which wasn't actually a parachute division anymore as it had been destroyed in Normandy and rebuilt from surplus Luftwaffe ground crew) and 79th Volksgrenadier which certainly wasn't rebuilt from veterans because the previous 79th was destroyed (1 man living to tell the tale). It was formed from the 586th Volksgrenadiers. The sources are Nafziger and Mitcham. The same people I used to illustrate the 352nd contained no combat veterans.

Some of these units actually performed creditably despite their various deficiencies.

I said:

quote:

My frustration essentially relates to the way I have felt you have not answered my points in our debate. When I have felt you have been proven wrong (the now infamous 352 argument, position of units at Falaise) you have either continued to claim your position (without evidence, in the 352 argument you just continued to claim "I have shown") or suddenly decided it was not important accusing me of missing the bigger picture. I could quite easily list these points if you would like a final chance to answer them (I would freely answer any specific points you feel I have dodged). However, in these circumstances, where you concede nothing, however precarious your position, it just breeds frustration and cynicism on my part. However, I was wrong to allow that cynicism to spill over the way I did. I was also wrong to imply what I did.

You said:

quote:

As to the 352nd debate:

If you become frustrated when someone else does not share your point of view, then I think you may need to step back for a few minutes and take a few deep breaths. Not everyone in life is going to agree with your opinions.

I did not pursue the 352nd debate simply because I felt it to be an unfair line of debate.

Why?

Because you latch onto things; often small things, which really do not matter in the larger picture.

In other words: You fail to place things into perspective.

Understand?

Frankly no. This is just frustration for me. Unable to admit you are wrong, you decide instead to change the whole line of argument on the point (which remember originally started because you claimed the unit was made up of combat veterans - without naming a single source to illustrate this). Why is it unfair if I ask you to prove an assertion you make?

Not everyone will agree with my opinion, but the make up of the 352 is a matter of fact, not opinion. If you refuse to accept my facts, how can we believe you would ever accept any argument of mine, no matter how overwhelming, well referenced and incisive? Other forum readers will have to decide whether
this answer of yours is fair, whether it means you now concede the point about 352 but can not admit it, or whether you are right, and I am failing to put things into perspective. I freely admit I don't understand how we get from an argument over a German VG division into one about perspective. It's simple enough to me, you either stand by your comment it was a formation of veterans, or you don't?

quote:

Anyone, if they have made up their mind to do so, can easily rip apart ANY action or any general, if they choose to do so.

Nonsense. Some campaigns stand the test of time. Some battles are so brilliant (for historians, not those who fought them) that they can not be undermined. Try finding someone who thinks Napoleon messed up at Austerlitz and got lucky. Try finding someone who thinks Lee fought a poor battle at Chancellorsville.
While you're at it, (because it will be relevant later) try finding someone who criticises the German victory in the west in 1940. Or rather, try finding some one else, as you've posted your thoughts as to why it was lucky. All Leaders can be criticised as few have perfect careers, but not all actions can be criticised, far from it

quote:

It is clearly evident that this is what you have chosen to do with Patton.

However, I try to balance that view by considering ALL the evidence.

If so, how come you're yet to post any evidence as to Patton's weaknesses?????

quote:

You, however, have chosen to destroy Patton by focusing ONLY on the critics' points while totally ignoring the valid explanations, or even bothering to understand Patton.

I understand him, it's why I have reservations about him.

quote:

It's called having perspective.

The debate over the 352nd is just one example of that approach of yours.

I insist that facts used to support arguments are correct, or at least as correct as we can know. If this is an approach you don't like, I can't help that.

quote:

Let's look at the Ardennes for a moment:

The 352nd was not made up of old men. Many soldiers in this unit were from other disbanded infantry divisions. It had the benefit of the knowledge of 5 years' of proven German fighting experience; it was led by experienced officers; it still had good morale. Finally, it had the benefit of the surprise attack. Granted, it wasn't the best German unit. But it certainly wasn't a rag-tag bunch of misfits, either.

You make it easy for me some times. Once again, unreferenced, we have the story about the 352.

quote:

The 352nd was not made up of old men. Many soldiers in this unit were from other disbanded infantry divisions.

For the benefit of the forum, I will once more demolish this with references.

Nafziger "The German order of battle: Infantry in World War II" Page 310.

quote:

Formed as part of the 32nd wave on 21 September 1944. from the 581st Volksgrenadier Division (32nd wave).

If any other forum user has this book, I'd appreciate it if you'd confirm my quote for Von Rom. Likewise for the others.

Samuel Mitcham "Hitler's Legions: German Army order of battle: World War II"

quote:

It was reconstituted as a separate division in August [1944] and was rebuilt as a Volksgrenadier unit in the Schleswig-Holstein area of Germany"

In case you're thinking, well he doesn't say it didn't have combat veterans, Mitcham has this to say about the neighbouring 353rd Division.

quote:

Cadres from the veteran 328th Infantry division were used to form this division in October 1943.

So, Mr Mitcham knows and tells us when veterans were involved in a division's creation, and doesn't say anything when they weren't.

Ah, I hear you cry, maybe the 581st had veterans in it? So I looked up the 581st.

quote:

Created in the 32nd mobilisation wave, the 581st Grenadier was not allowed to complete it's training.

Probably not....

Finally, Charles B MacDonald. "The Battle of the Bulge". I remember you stating you used reviews to help you decide whether to read something. Here's one: "Mr MacDonald...unarguably knows it all and gets it right."

He said:

"Reconstructed almost from scratch with a great influx of Luftwaffe and Navy replacements to a strength of 13000. The division was poorly trained and lacked experienced offices."

Now, I can't force you to admit you are wrong, I can however post all the information I have and invite other forum readers to make up their own mind.

quote:

Hitler committed a large proportion of all the tank, aircraft and weapon production from 1944 to this Ardennes Offensive. There were 250,000 Germans attacking, by surprise, an ill-prepared American position.

The relevance of this to Patton? None of the ill-prepared troops belonged to him. The vast majority of these 250 000 Germans didn't stand in his way as he set off the Bulge either.

quote:

In contrast, the Americans, whom they were attacking, were there resting, and were relatively inexperienced and unprepared.

None of who'm belonged to Patton or were used by Patton. His troops were experienced as per his own words.

quote:

The three divisions from Third Army (many men had some experience, but many were also inexperienced)

Patton thought them his best. 4th Armoured and 80th Inf arrived in Normandy in early August and fought across France, into Lorraine etc. 26th arrived in Early Sept and went into action in early October fighting in october and November before joining the battle in the Ardennes. You can say replacements may have been inexperienced, but the majority had seen combat, in some cases a good deal of combat.

quote:

had to disengage from the enemy, turn 90 degrees north, travel 100 miles in 48 hours in terrible winter weather and on icy roads and, without the benefit of sleep, hot food or rest, they had to fight an enemy that was prepared to fight, and knew how to fight.

A magnificent achievement by the men of third Army. One of the better achievements of western Allied arms in Europe during World War II. I've previously said Patton was an exellent Logistician and knew how to motivate men. Even if it was Koch (?) who thought the Germans likely to attack in the north, Patton deserves credit for ordering plans be made on the strength of Koch's hunch. I don't accept he was some form of operational Genius, though, having achieved this miracle of manouvre, he fought a poor battle when the shooting started.

The only part of your quote that I'd argue is in error is the last bit. Some of the men facing Patton didn't know how to fight. Elsewhere in the Bulge facing Hodges, there were Germans who still knew how to fight well, less so in front of Patton's drive on Bastogne.

quote:

I think this tends to even things out a bit.

In terms of the Bulge, less so for Patton, because some of the things you cite didn't apply to him, but to elsewhere in the Bulge.

quote:

Third Army suffered 50,000 casualties in some tough fighting during the Battle of the Bulge. Clearly, someone was firing back at them

Undoubtedley, they fought for several weeks.

quote:

As I previously mentioned, you present only one tiny side of the picture - with the 352nd being only one example of this - and then twist it into some sort of conclusion as to Patton's command abilities.

You will search high and low to find one little speck that you will twist to suit your conclusions, yet ignore a mountain of evidence that gives you a more balanced view of an action or an event.

You will present a mountain of evidence that is often wrong, (eg 352) is usually not relevant (EG most of the stuff about the bulge), and comes from poor sources (Patton fansites and that book about Corporate leadership for example).

quote:

Metz is another excellent example:

You, along with most of the critics jump on Patton's bloody battles here to show he was a poor general.

What you and Whiting conveniently leave out of the picture, is the fact that Patton was stopped outside of Metz because he ran out of gas. He was then denied gas and proper supplies for THREE MONTHS, so he was unable to maneuver around Metz.

His limited supplies meant severely restricting Third Army's use of ammo, artillery shells, food, gas, etc, which all had a detrimental effect on his performance at Metz. In addition, the weather was lousy. This lousy weather meant limited air support. This lousy weather also caused 18,000 cases of trench foot, flu, etc which helped to reduce Third Army's effectiveness.

The fact that he was denied gas meant that the Germans could then re-group and then man positions in the heavily fortified Metz fortifications.

Denying gas to Third Army was almost bordering on the criminal, since what Patton could have captured at little cost (Metz), he now had to take by assault (with infantry), costing soldiers their lives.

So you see, when placed in perspective, the situation at Metz, rather than indicating poor generalship on Patton's part, instead indicates poor generalship and decision-making on the part of the Allied High Command.

But most critics, such as yourself, leave this type of explanation out when looking at Metz.

I was hoping we could get onto Metz at some point. Firstly, lets see exactly what you are saying: The story goes that Patton could have taken Metz easily had he been given the gas to reach it when it was undefended in late August and early September.

This I freely concede, had Patton arrived outside it with no Germans inside it, he would have inflicted a heavy defeat on the Germans.

The story continues that Patton was then forced to fight in poor weather, against strong defences, with no gas.

All very true, apart from the the very first bit "Patton was then forced to fight".

What the Patton homepage ignores about this battle is that it was completely unnecessary. Think of this. You're facing tough fortified positions, you've limited ammo and gas, the weather is so poor, your soldiers have trenchfoot in massive numbers. The weather is so poor, it's hard for your infantry to move, much less vehicles, and air cover is restricted.

Military commonsense dictates you stop. It doesn't insist you plough forward throwing unit after unit into a grim attritional battle without the necessary support to get the job done. Some thoughts from Carlo D'Este's excellent biography of Patton(the one point on which we all seem to agree) will serve to illustrate the point.

quote:

Patton's years of study ought to have convinced him of the folly of siege warfare in the hostile environment of a place like Lorraine, which he knew well from first hand experience in 1918. Between his frustration at third army's dilemma and his insistence that he could win the war single handed if given the means, the attacks on Fortress Metz went forward. Yet he seemed reluctant to accept the fact that the great pursuit had ended and he now faced circumstances of "Too little gas and too many Germans, not enough ammo and more than enough rain." Patton's later claims that in Lorraine he had held them by the nose and kicked them in the rear end rang hollow.

In other words, no Military Commander should have fought in Lorraine in those circumstances. It made no military common sense, yet Patton chose to fight anyway, not least because as D'Este points out

quote:

Patton wanted to present Metz to Marshall as a trophy during his impending visit to third army.

He wasn't being ordered to attack, Bradley ordered him to halt them. "For God's sake, George, lay off."

Yet after stopping them (after this plea from Bradley), he later restarted them throwing green units into the fray this time, using the excuse that they needed blooding. All green units have to be introduced into combat. But the wise commander does it, where possible, in circumstances that are favourable, as no unit learns anything getting slaughtered. These attacks were unnecessary, the conditions were (as you point out, Von Rom) dreadful, so why on earth did he mount the attacks in the first place??? He wasn't ordered to.

quote:

I could go on and on about example after example. But I fear it would be of no use, since you are absolutely determined to drive a stake into Patton's memory.

If your examples are all like this, then I would not post them either, as it does your case no good.

Respect and regards,
IronDuke

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 279
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/16/2004 2:15:16 AM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: Von Rom

When Patton died, an “official history” was agreed upon and corroborated by Bradley, Eisenhower and Montgomery. They blamed each other for various aspects, but in the main part "fudged the truth" about the true cause of each’s largest disasters: Market Garden, Caen, Hurtgen, the Battle of the Bulge, the failure to capture Berlin, the failure to keep all of the armies supplied, the failure to take Prague, the failure to close off the Falaise Gap and seal the fate of the 11 German divisions trapped there; each had an “official” cause, an “official” whipping boy. Documents from each of these episodes were fudged while others were removed, destroyed and tampered with; and the generals corroborated each others stories in their memoirs.

The reason why the generals cooperated so well on this issue was because each of them had made mistakes. Each had committed an atrocious disaster which they felt had to be kept from public knowledge. Only one general, Patton, had never lost thousands of men on a hopelessly mismanaged mission. If a spiteful general were to bring up the Battle of Metz, the Third’s most bloody battle, Patton could counter that there were 3 dead Germans to 1 dead American, even in that desperate battle. And the Battle for Metz would never be investigated because investigation would only uncover the damning evidence of SHAEF’s decision to starve Third Army of supplies, and Com Z’s negligence and wastefulness in keeping the armies supplied.

I've seen this about three times before in this thread. I'll say what I said the last time. It is fantasy to suggest that Monty and Ike and Bradley made a pact in this way. Monty resented Ike, Ike was infuriated by Monty, Bradley felt betrayed by Ike and detested Monty. Monty blamed everone else for everything, he would never have made any kind of pact. Ike became President of the US, yet here is decried as a man hiding his mistakes in a seedy way.

This is from the Pattonhomepage, and yet you present it as some sort of unbiased comment. Where is the evidence? Where were the meetings? Where is the correspondence to show this? The fact is there isn't any, so overactive imaginations seeking to glorify Patton at everybody else's expense make stuff up like this knowing that it is as hard to prove a conspiracy wrong as it is to prove a conspiracy right. You can say what you like, tag it with the word conspiracy, and sit back smugly knowing that people might swallow it because "It's a conspiracy".

Regards in exasperation,
IronDuke

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 280
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/16/2004 2:24:59 AM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

paspunxra:

So true.

Recreating them in Lorraine.

quote:

That is why he vowed that an army must always be on the attack. Once you have your enemy off-balance, you must keep attacking him so he can't re-group.

What do you do if he isn't off balance? This is the lesson of Patton's career. Off balance, he could perform notable feats against a fleeing, beaten, disorganised enemy. He could do these feats better than any other Allied Commander. When the enemy was not off balance, he had the same problems everyone else had.

quote:

Many of Patton's problems occurred when higher Allied Commanders interferred with his operations. Denying Third Army gas and supplies when he reached Metz is just one example.

This is also hard to fathom especially when you consider the astonishing record of success Patton and Third Army had achieved previous to this.

Both the Germans and Patton criticized the Allied Commanders for their timidity. By being cautious; by trying to prevent high Allied casualties; these same commanders caused high casualties.

We've been through all this.

quote:

Again, the example of Metz, where Patton could have easily secured it with few casualties if he had been given the fuel he requested. As a result of NOT getting the proper supplies, Third Army suffered terribly, especially in the very bad weather. According to Patton, Trenchfoot alone was causing more casualties among his men than the Germans. He cursed the boots the GIs were given and tried on numerous occasions to get proper foot wear for his men.

All very true, except that after not getting the fuel, he should have stopped. Bradley eventually ordered him to stop attacking to save the lives of the men of third army being needlessly squandered.

regards,
IronDuke

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 281
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/16/2004 2:27:42 AM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

Ironduke:

I am also looking forward to seeing your indepth analysis and explanations about the so-called "brilliant" German BlitzKrieg victories against their inferior opponents between Sept 1939 to Jan 1942.

Cheers!

Do not wish so hard, for you shall receive..

The weight of history, fact, informed opinion and common sense lines up behind me on that one even more than it does over Patton.

Regards,
IronDuke

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 282
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/16/2004 4:03:18 AM   
Von Rom

quote:

I tell people Whiting's words are in bold

I see it now. Sorry. I must have missed it with my tired eyes.

Still, in the future when you post LONGGG posts, it would be very helpful to everyone if you ONLY INCLUDE THE QUOTE IN QUESTION from Whiting, which is only one sentence long, rather than the quote you posted which included several sentences NOT used by Whiting.

quote:

The other occasion is when they use someone else's words to describe or highlight something, because they agree with it, and know that the point has been made elsewhere, and by quoting rather than just restating the point, they give it extra weight because they prove other historians agree with them. Alternatively, it may be something outside their sphere of influence and they quote it because the historian is a recognised leader in that field. Did you not know this?

Heheh

D'Este was writing a balanced book about Patton. He presented both sides of the arguments. Unlike some authors who inject their opinions willy-nilly, D'Este tries to present both sides' views.

That is why D'Este's book is a superior work. He gives us the opinions of Patton's supporters as well as his critics.

Didn't you know that?

quote:

Tell us what you feel, it will improve your impact in this thread if you show your view is balanced. I've tried as the list above shows.

Heheh

You list a few words that are good about Patton, yet, spend 10 pages on this forum criticizing him.

Yes, you are a true Patton supporter - heheh

quote:

Why would he reference it?

Silly me. Imagine Whiting, claiming to be writing a history book, and not including references for what he writes or claims

quote:

Patton said of the three units he took: "Bradley, my best three divisions are 4th Armoured, the 80th and the 26th." Patton's own words.

The units in 352 Volksgrenadier Divisions Corp were 5th Parachute (which wasn't actually a parachute division anymore as it had been destroyed in Normandy and rebuilt from surplus Luftwaffe ground crew) and 79th Volksgrenadier which certainly wasn't rebuilt from veterans because the previous 79th was destroyed (1 man living to tell the tale). It was formed from the 586th Volksgrenadiers. The sources are Nafziger and Mitcham. The same people I used to illustrate the 352nd contained no combat veterans.

Some of these units actually performed creditably despite their various deficiencies.

Yes they did. They weren't exactly the misfits some might think they were

You also forgot to mention the counterattack by the 1st S.S. Panzer “Der Fuhrer” Division which was sent south in an attempt to cut-off Patton's relieving forces fighting outside of Bastogne.

In some brutal fighting both sides suffered 16,000 dead with 600 tanks destroyed. Quite the little scrap, eh?

From the history of the 35th Infantry Division:

"We did not know that Hitler had ordered some of his best remaining troops to cut off the Third Army’s relief of Bastogne at all costs. Now across our front from our right came the elite 1st S.S. Panzer “Der Fuhrer” Division, sent down from the German Sixth Army to break us – the 167th Volksgrenadier Division, and the 5th Parachute Division from the Seventh German Army. Fighting see-sawed in and around towns like Lutrebois where we lost two companies of the 134th Regiment, Marvie, where we at last broke through to the 101st Airborne, Surre, Villers La Bonne where the 137th lost companies K and L, cut off and hit by the Germans with flame throwers, the survivors captured and marched into Germany to a prison camp, Boulaide, whose grateful citizens would welcome returning veterans in later years as tour groups, Tarchamps, and Harlange where a single farm, fortified, stopped the 320th Regiment. Frostbite, illness and exhaustion, the freezing waters of the Sure River, waste deep, waded across by the 320th soldiers. Deep snow which slowed attack and bogged down G.I.s who were unable to move fast enough to evade the lethal fire of enemy machine guns, mortars and artillery shells, tree bursts and craters. The fields and woods became graveyards littered with dozens of destroyed tanks and assault guns, half tracks, trucks, equipment, and corpses."

This picture will give readers an idea of what the three Third Army divisions had to march and fight in. Imagine travelling in freezing cold for two days with little sleep or hot food and then, without rest, fight a series of battles:

quote:

This is just frustration for me. Unable to admit you are wrong, you decide instead to change the whole line of argument

Where am I wrong when I disagree about the basis of the argument?

Let me put it to you this way:

The whole basis for the supposed early German BliztKreig during the early years is really just a myth isn't it.

The mighty German war machine attacks little Poland, Belgium, Holland, Denmark, etc, and even France really offers up a poorly led and divided Allied force.

Heck, the Germans couldn't even bag hundreds of thousands of Allied soldiers stranded at Dunkirk.

The Germans enjoyed a 3:1 advantage in the Battle of Britain - yet failed miserably.

Even in Russia the German forces surprise-attacked poorly-led, poorly equipped forces with low morale.

What value are these victories? Of what value are Rommel's and Guderian's victories against such weak and inferior troops?

Get my meaning?

You bring up the 352nd. But I can easily bring up all these German victories and more and compare the quality of soldiers the Germans fought against.

There's more:

In the Ardennes, the Germans had overwhelming superiority and firepower, and had Bastogne surrounded. And yet, they couldn't capture that little town of Bastogne. What poor generalship and leadership

And Rommel's stunning early successes in North Africa were against weak and scattered British forces. Gone were the British and Australian troops who were transferred to Greece. So Rommel's victories and his legend were made against weaker and inferior forces.

See what I mean?

I wasn't wrong.

The line of debate brought up was simply the wrong thing to be discussing.

quote:

. Some campaigns stand the test of time. While you're at it, (because it will be relevant later) try finding someone who criticises the German victory in the west in 1940.

I'll be looking forward to your analysis of the early German BlitzKrieg battles in the west.

quote:

I can't force you to admit you are wrong

Thank goodness you're not standing next to me with a lead pipe

You earlier admitted in your post that these same forces (the German units fighting against Patton) put up quite a fight, so obviously they weren't a bunch of rag-tag misfits as they are being made out to be.

I brought up the opposing American forces because some were inexperienced, especially the 106th which had just newly arrived on the scene.

quote:

Some of the men facing Patton didn't know how to fight

Please. . .

This is embarrassing. . .

Yet, earlier you admitted in your post that these same forces put up quite a fight. You contradict yourself.

Which is it?

Third Army suffered 50,000 casualties. . .

The next thing you'll be saying is that Third Army only faced cardboard cut-outs of German troops, and their casualties resulted from driving into trees.

Oh, and don't forget the 1SS Panzer Division when it counterattacked. . .

quote:

Patton thought them his best. 4th Armoured and 80th Inf arrived in Normandy in early August and fought across France, into Lorraine etc. 26th arrived in Early Sept and went into action in early October fighting in october and November before joining the battle in the Ardennes. You can say replacements may have been inexperienced, but the majority had seen combat, in some cases a good deal of combat.

What do you think happens when men are killed in battle? or when they are wounded? or when they get ill?

They get GREEN replacements.

Third Army had been fighting in Europe since Aug/44.

They had fought a brutual battle at Metz.

In the Ardennes, they had to travel for two days and nights in terrible winter weather and without rest, and then engage in battle. . .

Try driving your car for two days without proper sleep in a winter storm and see how you feel at the end of it.

Please. . .

You do a terrible disservice to the memory of those brave men.

quote:

In terms of the Bulge, less so for Patton, because some of the things you cite didn't apply to him, but to elsewhere in the Bulge.

I can only shake my head at this type of reasoning, and you wonder why I don't bother to answer some of your posts?

It's just nonsensical. . .

Third Army suffered 50,000 casualties figting the Germans in the Bulge. . .

quote:

What the Patton homepage ignores about this battle is that it was completely unnecessary. Think of this. You're facing tough fortified positions, you've limited ammo and gas, the weather is so poor, your soldiers have trenchfoot in massive numbers. The weather is so poor, it's hard for your infantry to move, much less vehicles, and air cover is restricted.

Regarding Metz:

Patton was a mobile warrior as Rommel was.

I'm not saying that everything Patton did was the best.

But this MUST be placed in persepctive of what preceeded it.

As I mentioned previously, the true error resided with the Allied High Command. Patton had shown how fast he could move. With the proper amount of fuel, which you also admit is true, Patton would have taken Metz and then driven onto the Siegfried Line, with a minium of casualties.

Patton would NEVER have sat still under ANY circumstances, and his superiors KNEW it.

Sitting in front of Metz doing NOTHING would have destroyed Third Army morale. Patton knew they had to get out of their situation.

Trench Foot alone was taking a heavy toll - higher casualties in fact than the Germans.

By not giving supplies to Patton, but rather sending them to Monty, the Allied Command caused two bloody situations: Metz and Operation Market Garden.

quote:

If your examples are all like this, then I would not post them either, as it does your case no good.

It's called putting a "bad situation" into perspective.

As for bad situations, what about the poor German performance:

1) In Stalingrad?

2) Before the gates of Moscow in 1941?

3) In the siege of Leningrad?

4) In the failure to bag hundred of thousands of Allied soldiers at Dunkirk?

5) In Rommels' failure to take Egypt?

6) In Goering's failure in the Battle of Britain?

7) In the German failure to capture Bastogne?

In other words, every general or army has bad moments.

But it MUST be placed in perspective of the larger circumstances.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Von Rom -- 7/16/2004 3:49:29 AM >

(in reply to IronDuke_slith)
Post #: 283
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/16/2004 4:14:46 AM   
Von Rom

quote:

ORIGINAL: IronDuke

quote:

I've seen this about three times before in this thread. I'll say what I said the last time. It is fantasy to suggest that Monty and Ike and Bradley made a pact in this way. Monty resented Ike, Ike was infuriated by Monty, Bradley felt betrayed by Ike and detested Monty. Monty blamed everone else for everything, he would never have made any kind of pact. Ike became President of the US, yet here is decried as a man hiding his mistakes in a seedy way.

This is from the Pattonhomepage, and yet you present it as some sort of unbiased comment. Where is the evidence? Where were the meetings? Where is the correspondence to show this? The fact is there isn't any, so overactive imaginations seeking to glorify Patton at everybody else's expense make stuff up like this knowing that it is as hard to prove a conspiracy wrong as it is to prove a conspiracy right. You can say what you like, tag it with the word conspiracy, and sit back smugly knowing that people might swallow it because "It's a conspiracy".

Regards in exasperation,
IronDuke

What a big revelation.

If you do not think that these generals modified accounts of their parts in the events of WW2, then you are truly a naive little dove and should not be allowed out at night without proper supervision.

They were looking out for their reputations and how history would judge them.

There was no BIG conspiracy. Only that they slanted things so that they would look good.

It is interesting that Bradley served as the main on-site source for the movie "Patton". Heheh. And Bradley despised Patton. Yup, I am sure there was NO re-write of history there

Plus, you will find different versions of the same events in both of Bradley's books: "A Soldier's Story" and "A General's Story".

Just recently, George Bush's National Guard records were mysteriously lost. . .

Imagine politicians and generals trying to cover up their mistakes.

What next. . .

A sex scandal?

< Message edited by Von Rom -- 7/16/2004 5:45:12 AM >

Post #: 284
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/16/2004 4:21:01 AM   
Von Rom

quote:

quote:

paspunxra:

So true.

Recreating them in Lorraine.

quote:

What do you do if he isn't off balance? This is the lesson of Patton's career. Off balance, he could perform notable feats against a fleeing, beaten, disorganised enemy. He could do these feats better than any other Allied Commander. When the enemy was not off balance, he had the same problems everyone else had.

quote:

We've been through all this.

quote:

All very true, except that after not getting the fuel, he should have stopped. Bradley eventually ordered him to stop attacking to save the lives of the men of third army being needlessly squandered.

regards,
IronDuke

I've discussed this elsewhere.

Not every battle goes according to plan.

Every general in every army has been through it.

Yet, Patton gets nailed for it.

As I mentioned, Metz is a series of fortifications, and given Patton's track record, he should have been given the fuel to get through these and move on. They were open to him.

The fault lies with Allied High Command.

Post #: 285
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/16/2004 4:26:05 AM   
Von Rom

quote:

quote:

Ironduke:

Cheers!

Do not wish so hard, for you shall receive..

The weight of history, fact, informed opinion and common sense lines up behind me on that one even more than it does over Patton.

Regards,
IronDuke

Heheh

I'll be looking forward to your weighty analysis.

Oh, and don't forget to mention the brilliant German Panzer thrust against the attacking Polish cavalry.

Or, the absolutely brilliant crushing of little Holland, and the wonderful bombing of defenceless Rotterdam.

Or the wonderful destruction of neutral Belgium.

Yes, I can see where all those cows on the roads might have given the German commanders some moments of hesitation.

*Moo*

Yes, absolutely brilliant.

I can see now why the weight of history is on your side.

Hey, this is fun

Ironduke, I hope your're having as good a time as I am. . .

And while you're doing all that writing and analyzing and feeling the weight of history and such, I'll be enjoying myself at the beach. . .

< Message edited by Von Rom -- 7/16/2004 5:50:16 AM >

Post #: 286
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/16/2004 6:54:06 AM   
Von Rom

Ironduke:

quote:

Charles Whiting in "The battle of the Bulge".

"Indeed, Patton with three full divisions, one of them armoured, plus overwhelming air and artillery support at his disposal, was stopped by three inferior German divisions, one of which its commander (as we have seen) didn't even wish to take beyond the German border. He wasted his men's lives because he threw them into battle hastily and without enough planning, making up his strategy from day to day. Most important was that Patton, the armoured Commander, who should have known much better attacked on a 25 mile front across countryside that favoured defending infantry on account of its many natural defensive spots. Instead of a massed armour-infantry attack on some concentrated, ole blood and guts , the supposed dashing cavalry General, slogged away like some long in the tooth hidebound first world war infantry commander."

I had asked you for two things from Whiting:

1) The references/sources that Whiting uses for the above quote; and

2) References from Whiting's book "The Battle of the Bulge" in which he praises Patton.

That you have not provided these as requested can only mean:

a) Whiting in fact uses NO sources for the above quote - which makes him a sloppy "historian" (and I use the word historian lightly).

b) That nowhere in his book does Whiting praise Patton - which only confirms the one-sided view Whiting takes towards Patton, thus confirming my view that Whiting just wants to knock Patton with one-sided and unsubstantiated claims (ie no sources cited).

Here are some readers' reviews of some of Whiting's books:

The Other Battle of the Bulge: Operation Northwind (West Wall Series) > Customer Review #1:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thoughts on Whiting

Reading the other posts about this book compels me to say a few things about the author. Charles Whiting is a popular, readable and prolific writer of WWII stories, but he is not a historian in any way, shape or form. If you have read more than one of his books you will recognize the following:

1) lack of any kind of endnotes and few footnotes: where is this material coming from?

2) quotes from interviews with the author, which are not in any way anotated at the end of the book

3) praise of the common US soldier but uniformly harsh criticism of all senior U.S. leadership, especially Eisenhower

4) comparisons with Vietnam which, while occasionally interesting (he points out that William Westmorland fought in the Huertgen Forest without learning its lessons) usually border on the ridiculous

5) plagarism from his own works, including entire chapters, some of which have not even been re-written, but simply included whole in different books

6) where are the @and*#and! maps?

This book, like his "Ardennes: The Secret War" posits that Operation Nordwind was a bigger threat than the Battle of the Bulge to the Allies because it nearly defeated the Alliance politically at a time when they had already won the war militarily. It is an interesting conjecture, but it is tainted by the half-hidden glee that Whiting seems to feel over any disaster involving American troops and particularly their leadership. Everything he writes is written through that distoring lens. In any endeavour, if you want to find fault, you will, and in war this is particularly easy. Eisenhower was an armchair warrior and a true mediocrity as a strategist, but he was a superb military politician, maybe the only man who could have kept such a contentious alliance together until final victory. He deserves credit for holding it all together.

I have read five of Whitings books and found most of them to be very entertaining, especially because he tends to focus on American disasters which naturally have not gotten much press since the war, and thus have not been written about extensively. He puts books together like a novel, and is far from a dry writer. But his scholarship would not have met the standards of my high school history teacher, much less those of a true historian. He seems to write about what interest him only, is careless with his statistics and dates, includes facts that suit his opinions, states his opinions as facts, and constantly recycles his own material. You could probably file his books under historical fiction before you could file them under history."

Whiting, Charles. The Battle for Twelveland: An Account of Anglo-American Intelligence Operations Within Nazi Germany, 1939-1945. London, Leo Cooper, 1975. The Spymasters: The True Story of Anglo-American Intelligence Operations Within Nazi Germany, 1939-1945. New York: Dutton, 1976.

Constantinides says this is "a potpourri of fact and fiction, actuality and myth, assumptions, sketchy versions of certain events, contrived tie-ins, and a certain confusion." Nevertheless, the author is "sometimes so accurate as to indicate access to well-informed sources or successful combining of certain versions." There is also "a good segment on SIS's role and the basis of its intelligence successes against Germany."

Whiting, Charles. Gehlen: Germany's Master Spy. New York: Ballantine, 1972.

NameBase: "Charles Whiting's book is somewhat sensational in tone and doesn't cite sources.... There are altogether too many exclamation points, along with direct quotes that appear to be added for effect rather than accuracy. Most of the book concerns Gehlen's career in Germany, particularly after the war, rather than his associations with U.S. intelligence."

http://intellit.muskingum.edu/alpha_folder/W_folder/whitf-whz.html

< Message edited by Von Rom -- 7/16/2004 4:53:57 AM >

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 287
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/16/2004 8:28:19 AM   
Ludovic Coval

von Rom,

quote:

Well, it's mostly been Ironduke who has been posting for the opposing side, so it looks as though he is also all alone.

Well, I share Iron Duke position about Patton, that make him less alone no ? At least we agree that Patton did not won Bulge

quote:

Usually, when a thread hits page 5 new-comers, etc hate to jump into an on-going debate

Never went to, now defunct, AOW forum ?

LC

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 288
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/16/2004 12:40:00 PM   
Culiacan Mexico

quote:

LC
Relocated sir! Relocated.

"If you love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lig

Post #: 289
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/16/2004 3:11:23 PM   
max_h

the "Kriegstagebuch des OKW", Originalausgabe IV/1, 1944/45, clearly states the composition of the 352nd VG division. it was composed out of "Marschbbattalion", "Gneisenauverbänden", "Festungsbattalionen". The Staff of the OB West reports, that the level of training and unit cohesion was very bad, there was also a lack of officers.

(in reply to Culiacan Mexico)
Post #: 290
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/16/2004 3:36:29 PM   
Kevinugly

Thanks Max, I'd been searching for that info but couldn't find a rock-solid source.

Especially for Von Rom (and my final word on Whiting), from - http://www.insidetrackaz.com/general.html

"Whiting, Charles - PATTON'S LAST BATTLE. Stein and Day, 1987. Paperbacks
available. Whiting is a distinguished military historian who has produced many
fine books. This is not one of the more favorable Patton books."

Note the use of the word 'distinguished'

Thankyou for using the World Wide Web. British designed, given freely to the World.

(in reply to max_h)
Post #: 291
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/16/2004 3:46:09 PM   
Kevinugly

quote:

Not every battle goes according to plan.

Every general in every army has been through it.

Yet, Patton gets nailed for it.

As I mentioned, Metz is a series of fortifications, and given Patton's track record, he should have been given the fuel to get through these and move on. They were open to him.

The fault lies with Allied High Command.

No, the fault lies with Patton. His 'one-dimensional' style of warfare just couldn't cope with this kind of battle.

From - http://www.sonic.net/~bstone/archives/990530.shtml

quote:

Rickard, John Nelson. Patton at Bay: The Lorraine Campaign, September to December 1944.

Westport, CT: Praeger Publishers, 1999
ISBN 0-275-96354-3
295 pages

Foreword (by Carlo D'Este); Preface; Map symbols; maps; photos; charts; tables; Selected Bibliography; Index
Appendices: Third Army Order of Battle; German Order of Battle; Casualties and Replacements; Material Losses; Third Army Operational Directives

For most students of World War II, General George S. Patton, Jr. holds a special place among US Army generals as the master of the American version of blitzkrieg. This reputation -- earned largely by his conduct of operations on Sicily in 1943 and in the pursuit from Normandy in 1944 -- was popularized in the mass market with the eponymously titled, and not always wholly accurate, film of the 1970's (starring George C. Scott) and solidified in more scholarly fashion by Carlo D'Este's 1995 biography.
Author John Nelson Rickard points out in his new book that previous treatments of Patton's military career have tended to ignore or minimize Third Army's bloody head-butting campaign in Lorraine from September to December 1944. In those months, after Patton's headlong pursuit of shattered German formations had outrun the Allied supply pipeline -- and the critical gasoline spigot in particular -- and reached a halt at Metz and Nancy, the series of frontal assaults and battles of attrition no more resembled Patton's preferred strategy of mobile warfare than the Battle of Stalingrad resembled the classic German blitz.
The book commences with a review of Patton's philosophy of battle, notes about his tactics in the Louisiana maneuvers of 1941, a brief comparison of the opposing armies of 1944, and a synopsis of the events leading up to the Lorraine campaign, notably the "cavalry-like" exploitation of Patton's Third Army following the breakout at St. Lo which Rickard praises but places in perspective.
It has also been suggested that Patton's opportunistic operational method did not prevent him from "meticulously" planning anticipated campaigns. Yet there was nothing "meticulous" about Patton's preparations for operations in Lorraine. In the fall of 1944 he was exuberant about his August successes where his tactical formula had worked to perfection. He would never cease in his attempt to impose the notions of the old cavalryman on the battlefield in Lorraine even when the circumstances demanded new methods.
Rickard examines with heavily footnoted detail the action in Lorraine mostly from the perspective of Patton's conduct of operations and carefully analyzes -- within the framework of friendly forces and capabilities, enemy forces and capabilities, terrain, weather conditions, logistics, and orders and limitations imposed by higher headquarters -- how Patton performed in an unfamiliar environment.
Indeed, the book is less an account of what happened, and more an analysis of Patton's role in making it happen, with an emphasis on evaluating -- almost second-guessing -- his options and decisions. Readers looking for a comprehensive account of the campaign itself might be somewhat disappointed as Rickard seems to assume that his audience will be familiar with earlier works (such as Hugh Cole's The Lorraine Campaign from the US Army official history series) which focus on the nitty-gritty of maneuver and combat.
Rickard quotes Cole liberally as well as presenting information and opinion from authors (such as Kemp, D'Este, Wilmot, Blumenson, Gabel, Nye, Weigley, and others) who have plowed the same ground, even if not so deeply or carefully. In that respect, Patton at Bay, in its attention to previous works and its constant measuring and weighing of the opinions and conclusions of other writers, sometimes seems more like a doctoral thesis (or even a "compare and contrast" assignment) than a piece of original scholarship. In the end, though, Rickard's approach proves thorough and satisfactory and he is not shy about offering his own point of view.
On the 17th, Patton sent his Chief of Staff, Major General Hugh J. Gaffey, to hurry Eddy in his preparations. Though Gaffey was a highly capable officer and enjoyed the full confidence of the army commander, it was Patton who needed to be at the front with Eddy, pushing him to make sure that XII Corps attacked on schedule. Patton justified his decision to send Gaffey by stating "I have been going to the front so much and kicking so much about delay that I have the generals jittery so I am spending a Sunday in the truck with Willie." This may not have been the best time to play with his pet dog.
Although this might sound a little catty, Rickard's thoroughness pays off with, for example, tables listing all visits by Patton and his senior staff officers to subordinate headquarters.
Rickard acknowledges Patton's strengths and often highlights occasions on which Patton's perception of the larger campaign -- and his plans for exploiting the situation -- made more sense than the plans of superiors. Still, in what is mostly a fair and balanced analysis, Patton receives considerable criticism for his handling of the Lorraine campaign and the costly, clumsy initial attacks against Metz in particular. Among Rickard's verdicts:
· Patton failed to heed intelligence warnings of enemy capabilities
· He continued to rely on failed plans after they had proved unworkable
· On a number of occasions he failed to clearly state his intentions and coordinate his subordinates
· He neglected to take into account his own shortages of manpower, equipment, and air support
· He incorrectly maintained his focus on assaulting Metz rather than masking it
In summary:
Patton was still on probation [after the slapping incidents in Sicily] when he entered Lorraine... Eisenhower still deemed it essential that he be kept under control. Bradley was Patton's greatest restraint....
The result was caution on Patton's part....
Although he regained some of his swagger after the success of the Normandy campaign, Patton certainly never brought his full improvisational style to bear in Lorraine. But excuses cannot be made for his failure to make sound tactical decisions. His difficulties were produced by a failure to sometimes face the obvious but also due to the incompatibility of his established battle philosophy with battle conditions in Lorraine, particularly his concepts of minimal interference and utilization of speed. However, had he not abandoned his most cherished concept, that of avoiding the enemy's main strength, his operations might have been far more successful.
Rickard's is a very analytical, somewhat dry account of Patton's decision-making in Lorraine. Some readers who consider Patton a genius and a hero might feel he is unfairly tarnished here, but most students of the war will welcome this detailed re-evaluation of a less spectacular aspect of the general's career. Also features some very comprehensive order of battle information plus data on casualties, replacements, and equipment losses in the appendices.
Recommended.

Thankyou for using the World Wide Web. British designed, given freely to the World.

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 292
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/16/2004 4:10:30 PM   
Kevinugly

So, 'Why was Patton so great?'. In a nutshell, he wasn't! In the right circumstances (an enemy weakspot discovered, massive air superiority, etc.) he could perform very well - the breakout from Normandy illustrates this very well. However, when faced with the necessity to fight any other sort of battle - the mark of a true 'Genius for War' - he was found wanting. This doesn't make him a 'bad' general, just means that he shouldn't be elevated to the position of 'greatness'.

(in reply to Kevinugly)
Post #: 293
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/16/2004 5:14:00 PM   
Von Rom

quote:

von Rom,

quote:

Well, I share Iron Duke position about Patton, that make him less alone no ? At least we agree that Patton did not won Bulge

quote:

Usually, when a thread hits page 5 new-comers, etc hate to jump into an on-going debate

LC

Well, that's two!

The more, the merrier, I always say

< Message edited by Von Rom -- 7/16/2004 3:14:29 PM >

Post #: 294
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/16/2004 5:37:12 PM   
Von Rom

quote:

ORIGINAL: max_h

the "Kriegstagebuch des OKW", Originalausgabe IV/1, 1944/45, clearly states the composition of the 352nd VG division. it was composed out of "Marschbbattalion", "Gneisenauverbänden", "Festungsbattalionen". The Staff of the OB West reports, that the level of training and unit cohesion was very bad, there was also a lack of officers.

So?

Heheh

You fellas make the 352nd appear as though they couldn't even get outta bed, much less carry a rifle. - heheh

They were placed on the flank to cover the south.

Clearly, NO ONE, especially the Germans, expected Patton to be able to attack from the south.

I find it interesting that no one stands up for the American 106th Infantry Division or the Americn 9th Armoured Division, both of which had NEVER seen action. At the Bulge, the Germans crashed through them like butter. No wonder, they were unprepared and asleep at the time. Big opposition

The Germans attacked by surprise and the German Fifth Panzer Division crashed through both the 106th and 28th Divisions. Wow, big accomplishment.

You know, even a 15 year old can kill the strongest, toughest guy in the world, if that 15 year old is carrying a shotgun and attacks that tough guy in his sleep.

Again, I am amazed at the lengths you fellas will go to place a magnifying glass on the 352nd, to find the least little thing (truly grasping at straws), and yet completely over-look the fact that, with superior firepower and men, the Germans couldn't take Bastogne away from the 101st - heheh

Now, have you fellas analyzed the quality of Polish troops in 1939?

Or the quality of troops in Holland in 1940?

Or the quality of troops in Luxembourg?

Or Belgium?

Heheh

Now those were some BIG German Blitzkrieg victories, no?

When elements of Third Army (which had many GREEN troops, and had been travelling non-stop for 2 days and nights in severe winter weather, without proper sleep, food or rest) attacked to relieve Bastogne, they were attacked by the 352nd (in concealment), the 5th parachute Division, and the elite 1SS Panzer Division.

After a series of heavy clashes, there were 16,000 dead and 600 destroyed tanks on both sides.

No tough fighting?

Let's get real. . .

(in reply to max_h)
Post #: 295
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/16/2004 6:01:24 PM   
Von Rom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kevinugly

Thanks Max, I'd been searching for that info but couldn't find a rock-solid source.

Especially for Von Rom (and my final word on Whiting), from - http://www.insidetrackaz.com/general.html

"Whiting, Charles - PATTON'S LAST BATTLE. Stein and Day, 1987. Paperbacks
available. Whiting is a distinguished military historian who has produced many
fine books. This is not one of the more favorable Patton books."

Note the use of the word 'distinguished'

"Distinquished"?

HEHEHEH

I almost fell off my chair when I read that - LOL

quote:

, I'd been searching for that info but couldn't find a rock-solid source.

I'm not surprised. And yet, all you could find was that tiny sentence which was written by a private individual who owns that website?

BTW, the website you chose for this is a SHOWBIZ website, called "Inside Track", and has links to this:

Sexy Male Journalists? Check Out "Buffooneries"

http://www.insidetrackaz.com/buffooneries.htm

Heheh

Sexy male journalists?

I can now see why they would call Whiting "distinquished".

I doubt the fellas that run that website have even opened a book - heheh

After all your searching, this is the BEST you could come up with?

If Whiting was distinquished, I would have thought his praises would be everywhere - heheh - at least on a history site. I know that sounds radical, but hey, I'm that kinda guy.

It is interesting that those who read and defend Whiting also criticize Patton.

Eventually, if you write enough books, and get published enough, people will think you know what you're talikng about - heheh

This so-called "distinquished" auther - heheh - sorry, couldn't help it - also writes pulp novels glorifying the Waffen SS (Patton's enemies) - heheh

* Pause *

Sorry, I was laughing so hard I had to wipe my eyes. . .

< Message edited by Von Rom -- 7/16/2004 4:10:21 PM >

(in reply to Kevinugly)
Post #: 296
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/16/2004 6:14:29 PM   
Von Rom

quote:

No, the fault lies with Patton. His 'one-dimensional' style of warfare just couldn't cope with this kind of battle.

Oh, OK.

If you say so. . .

If people are out to nail Patton - to destroy his reputation - they will only center on every little fault and mistake - whether those faults were initiated by others or not.

Patton could no more have sat still, than Rommel could have. Trench Foot and the terrible weather were causing MORE casualties at Metz than the Germans! Why don't these authors mention this? Patton knew he had to get his men outta there. He called for supplies, but Third Army had to ration ammo, artillery shells, gas, etc. . .

The Allied High Command made the mistakes. By adopting the "Broad Front Strategy", Ike was doing exactly what German leaders wanted him to do - dissipate Allied strength. By withholding supplies from Patton and giving them to Monty, Ike caused two bad situations: Market Garden and Metz.

Why don't you do a detailed search for all of Rommel's mistakes?

Or of the mistakes committed by Paulus at Stalingrad?

Or the terrible blunders of Goering?

Or the ineffectiveness of the Germans at Kursk?

Well, I could go and on. . .

< Message edited by Von Rom -- 7/16/2004 4:29:08 PM >

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 297
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/16/2004 6:29:02 PM   
Kevinugly

quote:

BTW, the website you chose for this is a SHOWBIZ website, called "Inside Track", and has links to this:

Sexy Male Journalists? Check Out "Buffooneries"

And links to your favourite Patton sites too. By your definition it doesn't say a lot for them either does it.

quote:

I doubt the fellas that run that website have even opened a book - heheh

Doesn't say a lot for the other book reviews either. The ones of Patton's 'admirers'

quote:

So?

Heheh

You fellas make the 352nd appear as though they couldn't even get outta bed, much less carry a rifle. - heheh

They were placed on the flank to cover the south.

Clearly, NO ONE, especially the Germans, expected Patton to be able to attack from the south

Let's see now, you seem to be admitting that the 352nd was not a good formation. So Patton, obeying orders, attacked a division of poor quality, who were not expecting to be attacked. Wow, breaking through them is some achievement, my hat goes off to Patton and his troops

quote:

When elements of Third Army (which had many GREEN troops, and had been travelling non-stop for 2 days and nights in severe winter weather, without proper sleep, food or rest) attacked to relieve Bastogne, they were attacked by the 352nd (in concealment), the 5th parachute Division, and the elite 1SS Panzer Division.

Have you actually read any books about the 'Bulge'. This is a downright LIE! 1st SS Panzer was in the north, by the time 3rd Army had reached Bastogne KG Peiper (1st SS spearhead containing the armour and the best infantry) had run out of petrol and ammo. This shows how desperate you are becoming if you are going to resort to blatant falsehoods

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 298
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/16/2004 6:33:50 PM   
Kevinugly

quote:

quote:

Oh, OK.

If you say so. . .

If people are out to nail Patton - to destroy his reputation - they will only center on every little fault and mistake - whether those faults were initiated by others or not.

Patton could no more have sat still, than Rommel could have. Trench Foot and the terrible weather were causing MORE casualties at Metz than the Germans! Why don't these authors mention this? Patton knew he had to get his men outta there. He called for supplies, but Third Army had to ration ammo, artillery shells, gas, etc. . .

The Allied High Command made the mistakes. By adopting the "Broad Front Strategy", Ike was doing exactly what German leaders wanted him to do - dissipate Allied strength. By withholding supplies from Patton and giving them to Monty, Ike caused two bad situations: Market Garden and Metz.

Why don't you do a detailed search for all of Rommel's mistakes?

Or of the mistakes committed by Paulus at Stalingrad?

Or the terrible blunders of Goering?

Or the ineffectiveness of the Germans at Kursk?

Well, I could go and on. . .

But it would be irrelevant to the discussion unless you want to rate Patton alongside those individuals in the pantheon of 'great' generals.

If you wish to discuss the errors of the Nazi generals then it might be better do start another thread. I thought this one was about Patton.

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 299
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/16/2004 6:35:22 PM   
Von Rom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kevinugly

So, 'Why was Patton so great?'. In a nutshell, he wasn't! In the right circumstances (an enemy weakspot discovered, massive air superiority, etc.) he could perform very well - the breakout from Normandy illustrates this very well. However, when faced with the necessity to fight any other sort of battle - the mark of a true 'Genius for War' - he was found wanting. This doesn't make him a 'bad' general, just means that he shouldn't be elevated to the position of 'greatness'.

Heheh

Quite the detailed assessment - heheh

It is interesting that those who read and defend Whiting, also criticize Patton.

Interesting, considering that Whiting is one of Patton's biggest critics.

Oh, and did I mention that Whiting - the "distinquished" author (heheh) - as Leo Kessler, also writes novels glorifying the Waffen SS?

Metz was a series of fortifiactions, and would have given ANY commander from both sides of the war, a very tough time.

Again, Metz was NOT of Patton's making, and he was faced with a situation NOT of his making or planning.

(in reply to Kevinugly)
Post #: 300
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Why was Patton so great? Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI