Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 6/10/2000 12:37:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

We are working on improving artillery! One of the things to help make everyone happy is teh addition of two new dials, one for artillery effect vs soft and one for artillery effect vs hard targets. Data conflicts on just how much "weight" of shell was needed. For every case of an arty batty shredding whole companies right and left are the cases where Btn after Btn pounded dug in positions to little effect. One common theme is if you can check a force in motion its in for pounding, but against entrenched troops, it makes them keep there heads down but even fearsome barrages, did little. Many factors influenced teh success and failure of artillery. We are setting the "defalts" to be a bit of a compromise between "what plays well" and "what's more realistc" and give you the capability to tip teh balance one way or another to your taste.

(in reply to Alastair Anderson)
Post #: 31
- 6/12/2000 4:36:00 PM   
Alastair at Work

Good Paul - but please can the cost of artillery units after the adjustments have been made be looked at carefully?? If the effectiveness is to be increased and spotting made more effective [which judging from what I have seen would be a good thing] can the cost of artillery pieces reflect their usefeulness. I recall the horribly cheap 120mm 6 tube platoons of sp3 that were able to decimate all comers and cost virtually nothing. It ruined pbem games unless both parties were happy to agree a limit on the number of tubes or a % of points spent. Make 'em effective/suppressive/destructive by all means when used properly with los spotting and in large enough quantities, but make 'em expensive with it! Patch not for another week... This great game is playing havoc with my life and it is a sign of its "greatness" that my day is now entirely ruined with this news. Keep up the good work though guys - much appreciated by me and all gamers I know. Cheers Al

Post #: 32
- 6/13/2000 2:03:00 AM   
Pack Rat

quote:

Originally posted by Charles22: Dare I say it? How about the Gustav cannon? It only fired 45 rounds it's entire life, at Sevastopol, but what a gun. A book I have at home, mentioned that a round had hit a Russian bunker/fort after going through 100' of sea floor and THEN exploded.
What a battle!! I love reading about the assult and all the details of this battle. What a fortress it must have been. The idea for using assult boats was sheer genius. ------------------ Good hunting, Pack Rat

PR

Post #: 33
- 6/13/2000 4:34:00 AM   
Tombstone

What if SPWAW modelled artillery with spotter rounds? Then once you got what you wanted you could fire for effect..?? It would make the artillery system more tangible in the players' hands. Tomo

Post #: 34
- 6/14/2000 7:37:00 AM   
Dean Robb

quote:

Originally posted by Tombstone: What if SPWAW modelled artillery with spotter rounds? Then once you got what you wanted you could fire for effect..?? It would make the artillery system more tangible in the players' hands. Tomo
Yes it certainly would! However, it wouldn't work on the scale of this game. In reading WWII artillery lessons learned, one point made several times is to bracket the target with your spotting rounds before calling for FFE. That means one round over, one round under, FFE (assuming you're good in azimuth). That means a minimum of 3 turns for every fire mission. THAT would not make us artillery-types happy...

Job Security: Being a Micro$oft lawyer...

Post #: 35
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI