Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? - 7/17/2004 2:20:49 AM   
Redleg47

Haven't seen this one posted so far so I will list it as the most absolute MUST Have:

The Duellist

And for movie buffs, there will be a bit of a surprise when you realize who the director is . . .

Also:

Cross of Iron (1974, with Maximillian Schnell)
Europa Europa
Stormship Troopers
Three Muskateers (1968 version)
Russian version of War and Peace (with English Subtitles)
Alexander Nevsky
Platoon (of course)
The Beast (great movie about a Soviet Tank Crew lost in Afghanistan)

Thats just for starters

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 151
RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? - 7/17/2004 10:22:24 PM   
KG Erwin

I will heartily second Redleg's mention of "Europa Europa". The story begs credulity, but it is a true story. Salomon Perel's quest for survival regardless of the cost is a lesson for us all, as well as the struggle to maintain one's inward identity during a time when simply revealing your heritage could result in your death. The sad part is, things haven't changed all that much in the last sixty years.

(in reply to Redleg47)
Post #: 152
RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? - 7/31/2004 3:20:27 AM   
KG Erwin

I gotta recommend "The Thin Red Line", just for one sequence--the improvised assault squad taking the Jap bunker on Hill 210 in chapter 16. This is as good a representation of Pacific combat as I've ever seen in a Hollywood movie. Who would've thought that John Cusack could portray a US Army assault squad leader? Terence Malick took a lot of negative comments for this movie, BUT the entire attack sequence on Hill 210 is reason enough to add this to the list of "Must Buy DVDs".

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 7/30/2004 8:27:19 PM >

(in reply to Redleg47)
Post #: 153
RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? - 7/31/2004 4:28:18 AM   
Hexed Gamer

Sorry KG, but if a film can only offer 5-10 minutes of worth, then it isn't even worth a blank dvd to make a copy of it.

If I only want a few sequences of good action, then I think there are several documentaries more worthy of my cash.

Thin Red Line belongs on the "it sucked" list with Pearl Harbour and Windtalkers.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 154
RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? - 7/31/2004 6:59:38 AM   
T Rav

Kelly's Heroes is my personal favorite. Carrol O'Conner is perfect as a general with "the game on."

(in reply to Redleg47)
Post #: 155
RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? - 7/31/2004 7:54:43 AM   
KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hexed Gamer

Sorry KG, but if a film can only offer 5-10 minutes of worth, then it isn't even worth a blank dvd to make a copy of it.

If I only want a few sequences of good action, then I think there are several documentaries more worthy of my cash.

Thin Red Line belongs on the "it sucked" list with Pearl Harbour and Windtalkers.

Les, I'm fully aware that this movie engendered some negative opinions, but other than "The Halls of Montezuma", can you mention any other movie that represents the reality of the Pacific War that "The Thin Red Line" so graphically illustrated? Much truth was represented here---the Japanese captives' fear of being tortured, the close-quarters combat of the Hill 210 bunker sequence, killing prisoners, which happened more frequently than popular histories care to admit--I thought that this was very well done. You need to watch this again, and then pass judgment.

(in reply to Hexed Gamer)
Post #: 156
RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? - 7/31/2004 8:51:27 AM   
stevemk1a

Gotta agree with KG on this one ... a lot of "Thin Red Line" was fluffy and self-indulgent, but the battle sequences were very good! the visuals were excellent! ... It's a love or hate movie. Ultimately for me, it's heavily flawed - but, it's worth a view for the payoff of the great scenes. Watching it is also prerequisite for complaining about the film!!

All the more reason to anticipate the Spielberg/Hanks BoB take on the PTO !!! I can't wait!

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 157
RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? - 7/31/2004 4:13:44 PM   
Hexed Gamer

Most of the "reality" of the Pacific war, was that it was like the European war, "diverse" and dependent on location.

The fighting on the Canal was not the same as the fighting in Burma or New Guinea or Peleliu. The Naval battles were not the same as the land battles.

But this is my list of movies I actually do have for the Pacific.

The Sands of Iwo Jima
The Last Bastion
Flying Leathernecks
Away All Boats
Bataan
Merril’s Marauders
PT 109
Fighting Seebees
30 Seconds Over Tokyo
MacArthur
In Harm’s Way
Midway
Tora Tora Tora
Guadalcanal Diary
The Halls of Montezuma
Gung Ho

It's not a long list, films on the Pacific are not so easy to find sometimes, and some is really hard to find in dvd. Most of that list is vhs, and well be getting processed on my computer through to vcd (because I hate tapes).

Not all films are created equal, some are flashy, some are old, some are naval slanted or air slanted. Some are only good on the basis of the actors in them.

But I tend to avoid any film that can only offer a few action sequences and a lot of crud filler.

As I mentioned, if I want action, and I want accuracy, my documentaries are a better choice (and the list of documentaries I have is a very long one :) ).

(in reply to stevemk1a)
Post #: 158
RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? - 8/2/2004 2:39:50 PM   
torpid

Thin Red Line is certainly a love or hate film. I've always found the battle scenes to be among the most effective that i've seen - the hill assault and swirling close quarter assaults are fantastic. The film is definitely indulgent in places but it the fantastic cinamatography helps and, call me perverse, but fighting isn't continous in war and I'm not sure it should be so in a film. The story meanders, but that wasn't a drawback in Apocalypse Now and isn't here. Personally I prefer this to a film like Saving Private Ryan, which came out at the same time but suffered from a formulaic plot (gallant hero shot at the last moment) and a final minute of flag-waving shmaltz.

Post #: 159
RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? - 8/28/2004 3:22:42 AM   
KG Erwin

Right now, I'm watching a fascinating film dealing with the complicity of musicians with the Nazi party's policies. It is called "Taking Sides" , and stars Harvey Keitel as an Army prosecutor who is investigating the ties of famed German conductor Wilhelm Furtwangler to the Nazi hierarchy.

Apart from the Nuremberg trials, which garnered much publicity, a second series of trials were held as part of the denazification program, dealing with artists and musicians, and this focuses upon one subject of these inquiries. This is an interesting film, which earned Keitel an Academy Award nomination, and asks serious questions about who was and who wasn't guilty of supporting the Third Reich regime, and exactly how that support was defined.

The audience must draw their own conclusion--this film is well-acted and offers food for thought.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 8/27/2004 8:23:33 PM >

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 160
RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? - 8/28/2004 5:07:23 AM   
Hexed Gamer

Ahh it's nice when some threads don't go away actually hehe.

I had been lamenting all the energy needed to move my many vhs movies over to svcd the hard way through my computer, until recently I found a local (well not very local, its in Toronto which is like a serious trip to buddy's place actually), store that has not just "some" war movies, but several magnitudes more war movies than I had dared to hope had made it to dvd.

For anyone near to Toronto, Starstruck Entertainment (three locations Scarborough Etobicoke and Mississuaga, I was in the latter location), has a volume of low priced dvd war movies that will likely take you off guard.

I was blown away.

Considering having buddy pick up an occasional title and dump it in the mail to me. I got The Devil's Brigade on the day I found the place, for 14 bucks, which is about as nice as it gets eh.
They must have had 100 titles available to torment my wallet. And I am used to seeing a selection lucky to exceed 10 titles at best in a very well stocked retail location.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 161
RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? - 8/28/2004 6:20:59 PM   
Von Rom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hexed Gamer

Ahh it's nice when some threads don't go away actually hehe.

I had been lamenting all the energy needed to move my many vhs movies over to svcd the hard way through my computer, until recently I found a local (well not very local, its in Toronto which is like a serious trip to buddy's place actually), store that has not just "some" war movies, but several magnitudes more war movies than I had dared to hope had made it to dvd.

For anyone near to Toronto, Starstruck Entertainment (three locations Scarborough Etobicoke and Mississuaga, I was in the latter location), has a volume of low priced dvd war movies that will likely take you off guard.

I was blown away.

Considering having buddy pick up an occasional title and dump it in the mail to me. I got The Devil's Brigade on the day I found the place, for 14 bucks, which is about as nice as it gets eh.
They must have had 100 titles available to torment my wallet. And I am used to seeing a selection lucky to exceed 10 titles at best in a very well stocked retail location.

Thanks for the info.

Fortunately, lots of war movies are making it on dvd.

Cheers!

< Message edited by Von Rom -- 8/28/2004 4:23:16 PM >

Post #: 162
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Are Your *Must* Buy DVD Movies? Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI