Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Caves...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Caves... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Caves... - 1/13/2002 3:51:00 AM   
chpo

I am still in the process of learning what is special in SPWAW compared with the old SP. It is stated in the manual (ver 5.01) that caves cannot be hit except through the front entrance. So, how do I know where the entrance is? The graphical representation does not make it obviuos to me. And what angle of fire do those cave dwellers have? They cannot fire back into the hill, but is it an angle of 120 degrees, 180 or what?

Electronic soldiers leave no electronic widows
Post #: 1
- 1/13/2002 4:23:00 AM   
ruxius

quote:

Originally posted by chpo:
I am still in the process of learning what is special in SPWAW compared with the old SP.

Eeeeeh ?????
Are you kidding me ?

Italian Soldier,German Discipline!

(in reply to chpo)
Post #: 2
- 1/13/2002 7:12:00 AM   
bigtroutz

click this thread, and all you questions will be answered http://www.matrixgames.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=008078

(in reply to chpo)
Post #: 3
- 1/13/2002 4:03:00 PM   
chpo

Thanks, bigtroutz, for trying to answer the question. However, in that thread I only find how to take out/or ignore the caves but not the answer to my questions: 1. How do I know where the entrance is?
2. What area can the cave fire into?

(in reply to chpo)
Post #: 4
- 1/13/2002 4:39:00 PM   
Resisti

quote:

Originally posted by chpo:

1. How do I know where the entrance is?
2. What area can the cave fire into?

Well, for #1 the reply is simple: where the cave fires from!
I suspect you misunderstood the term "entrance": it is not the place where its..inhabitants enter from, but the place where they fire thier weapons from... so entrance it is exactly the fron t of the cave. For #2 I dont have a precise reply, just think their fire angle is the same as all the other emplacement..

Federico "Resisti" Doveri

(in reply to chpo)
Post #: 5
- 1/13/2002 8:49:00 PM   
chpo

Resisti wrote:
"I suspect you misunderstood the term "entrance": it is not the place where its..inhabitants enter from, but the place where they fire thier weapons from... so entrance it is exactly the front of the cave." Yes, but this is my question: How can I see on the map where the entrance is? Sometimes I get fired upon by units in a cave that remains invisible to me until another unit spots the cave. Even if the unit that took the fire sees the cave, how do I know whether it is the units to the right or to the left that are in peril? "For #2 I dont have a precise reply, just think their fire angle is the same as all the other emplacement.." By "Emplacement", do you mean observation posts, bunkers etc? OK, that makes sense. So, what is the fire angle for those? If it is in the manual I must not have read it as well as I thought...

(in reply to chpo)
Post #: 6
- 1/13/2002 10:01:00 PM   
bigtroutz

if you can't see the cave, then you can only know its field of fire by walking into it the cave icon is a offset kind of brown line with yellow edges. if it is like | with the offset pointing at YOU, then the cave weapons are looking at you.
ok /....\ok
ok |...|| :/ <- poor dood in the death zone
ok \..../ok
with most fortifications and caves, the hexes to the left and right of the death zone one hex out can be entered to attack w/o being fired on. more than one hex out, its more problematic. [ January 13, 2002: Message edited by: bigtroutz ]

(in reply to chpo)
Post #: 7
- 1/13/2002 10:13:00 PM   
bigtroutz

ummm, about the view angle, i am going to guess that since the game uses HEXES (6 sides) and caves can only see OUT from ONE side: 360 degrees of view divided by 6 = 60 degrees of view per side of hex. dunno if this is real or just Aristotelian logic, i never whipped out my protractor and placed it on the screen or something.

(in reply to chpo)
Post #: 8
- 1/14/2002 2:54:00 AM   
chpo

Thanks, bigtroutz! I have now done what I obviuosly should have done from the start: Loaded the editor and experimented a little. Still, I thought it might be in the manual.... It turns out to be exactly as you tried to illustrate: Only the hex just in front of the cave mouth is vulnerable IF the cave mouth is in the direction of the hex grid. However, it might be angled along the hexline separating two hexes in front of it and then both those two hexes may be covered with fire from the cave. Of course all angles in between give different results, it all depends on which hex you clicked on to set the alignment in the editor! Hmm, now I start to understand why the question wasn't that easy to answer. At least I now better understand how to interpret the cave graphic!

(in reply to chpo)
Post #: 9
- 1/14/2002 10:30:00 AM   
RichardTheFirst

Some emplacements are able to fire to the 3 hexes in front of it (sometimes only two depending on the facing) and some to only one in front (sometimes 2). It all deppends on the facing. Lets say you are facing exactly in a 45º position. In the case of the caves, after the first you should have 3 hexes. But if you are in a 0º position then the cave should be able to see 2 hexes in radius 1 and 3 in radius 2. The most important here is that you SEE the cave and it's facing and then try to determine which hexes it could see.

E Pluribus Unum

Join Steel Panthers Fans

(in reply to chpo)
Post #: 10
- 1/14/2002 1:59:00 PM   
Wild Bill

Another easier way is to trace LOS (Line of Sight). If you can see them, they can see you. Check the cave for its line of sight. In the scenario, right clik directly in front of it. It will show you LOS. Anything within that LOS can see the cave entracne and fire into it. Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to chpo)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Caves... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI