Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Air Unit Transfer

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Air Unit Transfer Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Air Unit Transfer - 7/17/2004 11:15:20 PM   
VI66_slith

Hi!

I had the Yorktown take some extensive battle damage. Airwings are scattered on Lunga, as well as some stuck on another carrier. How do I get them off the CV and island?

Thanks!

"Many, who should know better, think that wars can be decided by soulless machines, rather than by the blood and anguish of brave men." ~Patton
Post #: 1
RE: Air Unit Transfer - 7/17/2004 11:37:54 PM   
Platoonist

Just some educated guesses...never tried all these.

You could fly off the remaining planes off the carrier when it reaches port and send it (or if too badly damaged) another back empty to pick them up. You could also do this with a CVE like the Long Island although it can't take as many aircraft as a full-blown CV. Or you could send a transport TF to crate 'em up and take them out.

(in reply to VI66_slith)
Post #: 2
RE: Air Unit Transfer - 7/17/2004 11:56:34 PM   
VI66_slith

Hi!

The aircraft from the Yorktown won't leave the Lexington or Enterprise. I am sending out some AK's to crate the aircraft remaining on Lunga. My first question is how do you get the A/C off of the other CV's? Do they stay in that state until the Yorktown comes back to pick them up? What if CV-5 had sank? Do you then have to withdraw the A/C?

Thanks!

"Many, who should know better, think that wars can be decided by soulless machines, rather than by the blood and anguish of brave men." ~Patton

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 3
RE: Air Unit Transfer - 7/18/2004 12:00:48 AM   
Mr.Frag

go to port then transfer them. As long as they are not damaged, they will transfer.

(in reply to VI66_slith)
Post #: 4
RE: Air Unit Transfer - 7/18/2004 12:05:40 AM   
Platoonist

Yup...like Mr. Frag said. Use the transfer to base button. All the CVs in this game are just mobile airbases. I think if Yorktown's flight deck is too badly damaged she have to actually enter port to have them transfer. Not sure tho.

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 5
RE: Air Unit Transfer - 7/18/2004 12:11:53 AM   
VI66_slith

Hi!

I tried it and they refuse to leave. When I hit the transfer button the field comes up blank. I tried hitting choose on map and a message flashes saying not allowed at this base. They are not on the Yorktown by the way.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

< Message edited by VI66 -- 7/17/2004 5:12:24 PM >

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 6
RE: Air Unit Transfer - 7/18/2004 12:14:35 AM   
pompack

You have to be docked in a port for the xfer-to-base to work if the CV cannot conduct flight ops

(in reply to VI66_slith)
Post #: 7
RE: Air Unit Transfer - 7/18/2004 12:17:18 AM   
Platoonist

Hmmm. It could be that the flight decks of Enterprise and Lexington are too crowded with orphans from the Yorktown to conduct flight operations. Another thing is range. Are you in port or just near one? Most American carrier planes are rather short legged so they may not transfer if there is no airfield within range.

However if your Air combat TF is in port and they won't leave....I dunno.

(in reply to VI66_slith)
Post #: 8
RE: Air Unit Transfer - 7/18/2004 12:33:11 AM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

They are not on the Yorktown by the way.

Ok, you need to give full information

What CV's, What airgroups, are they airgroup/#? What shape are the ships that house the aircraft, where are they? are they docked at a base (size 3+)?

(in reply to VI66_slith)
Post #: 9
RE: Air Unit Transfer - 7/18/2004 12:50:35 AM   
VI66_slith

quote:

What CV's, What airgroups, are they airgroup/#? What shape are the ships that house the aircraft, where are they? are they docked at a base (size 3+)?

CV Lexington and Hornet are at Noumea at Size 9

One air wing each from Yorktown on both of the Carriers mentioned. I can switch them from CV to CV. No damage to either CV.

Yorktown at Luganville with 49 sys damage and 46 flood damage. Luganville is size 6 port at this point.

Remaining airwings from Yorktown stuck at Lunga Field.

That's the four air wings from Yorktown. One each on the other two CV's and 2 at Lunga. I have the save if you want it Mr. Frag.

Thanks!

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 10
RE: Air Unit Transfer - 7/18/2004 1:33:53 AM   
Mr.Frag

see your PM.

(in reply to VI66_slith)
Post #: 11
RE: Air Unit Transfer - 7/18/2004 2:10:33 AM   
VI66_slith

Mr. Frag

On its way slot 16 no patches as I was not having any problems and waiting for the official patch.

Thanks!

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 12
RE: Air Unit Transfer - 7/18/2004 2:55:15 AM   
Mr.Frag

Somehow, your air groups have kicked from independant to owned.

The reason you can't transfer them is some belong to the West Coast which happens to be restricted. Burn some PP to get them to SOPAC.

We have been looking for the cause of this one but never found it. Can you look back through earlier saves to see if you can find the one where the air groups are still independant?

(in reply to VI66_slith)
Post #: 13
RE: Air Unit Transfer - 7/18/2004 6:20:06 AM   
Svar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag

The reason you can't transfer them is some belong to the West Coast which happens to be restricted. Burn some PP to get them to SOPAC.

We have been looking for the cause of this one but never found it. Can you look back through earlier saves to see if you can find the one where the air groups are still independant?

If you start Scenario #10 all CV air groups and CVL air groups that start the Scenario in a port will assume the HQ of the port. If you look at Saratoga its air group will be assigned to South Pacific because it is docked in Lunga. All the West Coast CVs and CVLs will have their air groups assigned to the West Coast. Replacement CVs will enter the game with independent air groups. When I looked in the editor at Scenario #10 all the air groups are listed as independent so it is during the execution of the first turn before you get to play that the error occurs. You could place the CVs and CVLs in task forces in their ports and I think they will remain independent but I don't know how to do that.

Edit: I just check Scenario #14 which I'm currently playing and the Hornet that starts in SF has its air group assigned to West Coast so the problem exists in the game engine.

< Message edited by Svar -- 7/18/2004 4:23:57 AM >

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 14
RE: Air Unit Transfer - 7/18/2004 7:14:01 AM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

I just check Scenario #14 which I'm currently playing and the Hornet that starts in SF has its air group assigned to West Coast so the problem exists in the game engine.

Thanks for that one ... i know it is in the engine, but that is the first time i could pin it to a turn.

(in reply to Svar)
Post #: 15
RE: Air Unit Transfer - 7/18/2004 7:34:41 AM   
VI66_slith

quote:

Hi!

Mr. Frag, I don't have the exact turn you are looking for (I have a save from several turns before) but I would think it happened on the turn of the attack or at least in between the execution and the next turn. I tried moving the A/C immediately after the Yorktown took damage and ran into the problem. Also, I will start saving turns sequentially when I feel a CV engagement is near.

To follow up. Will the AC I switch commands with (SOPAC) ever go back to being independent?

Thanks a heap for your help!

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 16
RE: Air Unit Transfer - 7/18/2004 8:03:21 AM   
Cmdrcain

I've not looked but can the editor be used simply to fix
such things that occur?

Assuming its not a PBEM game, that is, I've not checked if editir can edit saves through.

The original Pacwar had an editor Bear put out that enabled editing saves,
if the New games editor allows that why not fire editor up and re-assign the groups to correct independent as a stop gap?

Noise? What Noise? It's sooooo quiet and Peaceful!

Battlestar Pegasus

(in reply to VI66_slith)
Post #: 17
RE: Air Unit Transfer - 7/18/2004 8:09:20 AM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

I've not looked but can the editor be used simply to fix
such things that occur?

Nope, the problem is happening *after* the start of the game. The editor can only fix pre-start stuff.

(in reply to Cmdrcain)
Post #: 18
RE: Air Unit Transfer - 7/22/2004 12:40:14 AM   
Viking67

You could move the TF from "at port" to "at sea" in the editor. That should prevent the HQ change.

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Air Unit Transfer Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI