Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

One More Question about anohter Mega Campaign

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> One More Question about anohter Mega Campaign Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
One More Question about anohter Mega Campaign - 1/18/2002 11:14:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Thanks for the great response on what you would like to see should there be another Mega Campaign. I was very encouraged by the interest of so many of you. Lots of good ideas, more than I could ever get to do in this limited lifetime. So now another question and I really need your response. What are your thoughts as to a downloadable Mega Campaign? The price would be the same, but no postage and handling costs or the extra amounts our overseas brethren have to pay. It would come directly to you on ordereing it. The wait wouldbut we would keep the size to between 30-35 megs. It will be a full fledged Mega Campaign with all the bells and whistles but you won't be bothered with the hassle of mailing or the cost either. The ones who migh feel the pinch are our warring comrades outside of the USA who have to pay for internet service. So now I need to know primarily from them but from all of you, what do you think? Would you prefer that the next Mega Campaign (if there is one) be one that you pay for and then download from the net? I'll be very interested in your thoughts, agree or disagree. Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
Post #: 1
- 1/18/2002 11:28:00 AM   
Dogfish

Hey Bill: I don't know how it would go over. Matrix has been reluctant to ship CD's when they couldn't get a reliable trace on them. People might claim they didn't get them and such. Download, a similar problem, I paid my bucks, but it doesn't run. How do you support that remotely...? Refund...? Alot of overhead tied up... Or tie up overhead by putting an activation code in the download...? You get the code when your check clears... Anything that can be coded can be hacked.... and people do it for the challenge. Best way to make it work might be... free download, no extra coding, no support (bad download? try it again...) Then an honor system to pay, or an activation code required before the second battle... like they used to do with demo software... Too many issues for me to make a decision, so far removed from your front lines. I would vote for "free" with an honor system for payment... this is based on the reputation that Matrix has aquired as a company dedicated to the players, not to the stockholders...

When you're wounded and left
on Afghanistan's plains,
And the women come out
to cut up what remains,
Jest roll to your rifle
and blow out your brains
An' go to your Gawd like a soldier.

Kipling

------------------

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 2
- 1/18/2002 11:30:00 AM   
DanTepX

I would like to have downloadable Mega Campaigns. I'm just north in Canada and I checked shipping and handling and its $12US - thats $20 Canadian. Before I buy that Desert Fox game I've been eyeing can you let me know if you guys are thinking about making the already existing Mega Campaings downloadable? I know it's a long shot...

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 3
- 1/18/2002 11:37:00 AM   
Jackk

If I can get more campaigns, and this is a way to do it, I'm all for it.

Jackk "Smile today cuz tomorrow may really suck"

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 4
- 1/18/2002 11:48:00 AM   
chief

WB: For my two cents, I'd rather have a hard copy, my old system has crashed and I know what happens when you have a registered copy you need to replace. Another problem is the download time for some of us its an eternity. These crank up phones are hell on downloads, not to mention the party lines..... [ January 17, 2002: Message edited by: chief ]

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 5
- 1/18/2002 12:11:00 PM   
swamp fox

I also have a slow modem and probably could not handle such a download. Mark another vote for a CD.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 6
- 1/18/2002 1:38:00 PM   
Alexandra

I'd also echo CD over DL. The crash issue, a new PC, all sorts of things like that would make it difficult to do pure DL. But, for CD shipping, to Canada, at least, why not use US Postal Service. My hubby sent a CD to Canada just last month, and the total, postage, plus customs fee was $3.75. Now, we do live close to Canada, admitted - I could be there in an hour, but it's still better than $12. Alex

"Tonight a dynasty is born." Ricky Proehl, then of the Saint Louis Rams. He was right! Go Pats! Winners of Super Bowls 36, 38 and 39.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 7
- 1/18/2002 1:49:00 PM   
scimitar

I'm interrested by such a system of download, for different reasons which, I agree, can be "negative" or "false" reasons for other people: 1) I own an ADSL connection. To download 35 MB is just fast and easy for me. (I remember my first download with ADSL: SPWAW 5.0 ; quasi impossible with a 56K connection when you've to pay the phone bill!!! )
2) As European, if I order directly to Matrixgames, I've to support heavy postage costs! Plus VAT at the entry of my order in Belgium...
Of course, I can now order at Duchet (no postage costs, VAT included)
3) I own a creditcard, easy to pay for ordering or download
4) With a system of code given for downloading, I think risks of problems are lower than the invoice of a CD via the mail (I will never forget a bad experience some years ago, when I ordered some disks in UK: before to come to my home, the postman stopped in another house and drank a cup of coffee. The young dog of that house kept an envelope in the bag of the postman (the mine...) and managed to give some work to its teeth... 3 disks were "eaten". Must say that the postman offered me to indemnisate... Yes, really, it's a true story!!!) So yes, I'm partisan for a possibility to download - but once again, what's good for me can be bad for others...

Pour une dent toute la gueule!

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 8
- 1/18/2002 3:21:00 PM   
Kiwi

I vote for the download option as I am still waiting for my pre-ordered MCNZ which I believe has gone to the Netherlands instead of New Zealand due to an error in the country coding. I downloaded SPWAW at 44k bps just setting up my download manager to run for a few nights. I have had no problem with pay and activate software before.eg Esafe when it was a leading edge firewall about 4 years ago. Guy.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 9
- 1/18/2002 3:24:00 PM   
jdammeier

IMO, electronic distribution is the way to go. I personally have a fast internet connection, so it would be convenient for me. True, piracy can be a problem, but piracy can be a problem with stuff distributed on CD too. And ESD is much more suited to impulse buying, which could help sell more copies!

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 10
- 1/18/2002 3:38:00 PM   
Red Baron

quote:

Originally posted by scimitar:
I'm interrested by such a system of download, for different reasons which, I agree, can be "negative" or "false" reasons for other people: 1) I own an ADSL connection. To download 35 MB is just fast and easy for me. (I remember my first download with ADSL: SPWAW 5.0 ; quasi impossible with a 56K connection when you've to pay the phone bill!!! )
2) As European, if I order directly to Matrixgames, I've to support heavy postage costs! Plus VAT at the entry of my order in Belgium...
Of course, I can now order at Duchet (no postage costs, VAT included)
3) I own a creditcard, easy to pay for ordering or download
4) With a system of code given for downloading, I think risks of problems are lower than the invoice of a CD via the mail (I will never forget a bad experience some years ago, when I ordered some disks in UK: before to come to my home, the postman stopped in another house and drank a cup of coffee. The young dog of that house kept an envelope in the bag of the postman (the mine...) and managed to give some work to its teeth... 3 disks were "eaten". Must say that the postman offered me to indemnisate... Yes, really, it's a true story!!!) So yes, I'm partisan for a possibility to download - but once again, what's good for me can be bad for others...

Can only agree on the statments above..The last shipment from matrix to me, cost me - in shipping and VAT - 62$!! DL is the way ahead
BTW, regarding shipping, why not use the postal services? If it´s a issue of "things being lost" it´s highly unlikely to do so - at least in my experience - Back in the Ver. 4-5 days i´d shiped 60+ copy´s of WAW to almost every corner of the world incl. the US and not one of em was lost in the process. The cost was on an average of 3$ a piece...! Regards..RB

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 11
- 1/18/2002 4:41:00 PM   
scimitar

Hey Wild Bill, another good reason for downloading: see your other topic (lats 100 Desert Fox MC CD remaining) - With a system of download, megacampaigns will ALWAYS be available...

Pour une dent toute la gueule!

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 12
- 1/18/2002 4:59:00 PM   
ubertechie

Why not be totally radical and analyse the market
if the situation is (and i guess this is the truth) that people usually buy more than one MC (i HAVE MCDF and MCLV - havent got the other as to be honest that theatre doesnt appeal to me - although im sure its great) creating a loyal base - if matrix charged people a fee - annual or maybe even one time - then created a alternate download area - where all MC's where available for download and new ones where placed. This means no shipping costs on each campaign - which being in the UK are high. This is how microsoft do MSDN Universal - whihc gives access to all of their software - okay you get piracy but your total cost savings should outway your losses to it. Also if people in the uk wanted cd versions i would upon receipt of verification of their id (and obviously with matrix's permission) burn a cd (no frills) and mail it out from work - takes no time and solves problems - i sign a agreement with matrix that says i wont charge or rip them off. Matrix find similar people around the world to do the same. If i am wrong and people only usually buy one MC then CD's are probably the way - but do they only buy one as the postage v game costs can be so high Anyway thats my pennies worth Thanks Ubertechie

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 13
- 1/18/2002 5:26:00 PM   
Lars

My opinion... DL! Absolutely. /Lars

:D Plays for fun! :cool:

[img]http://publish.hometown.aol.com/kenkbaran/images/spwaw-virtual-b-o-b2.jpg [/img]
[img]http://www.redzoneforums.com/images/avatars/gia

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 14
- 1/18/2002 5:31:00 PM   
Resisti

quote:

Originally posted by Dogfish:

Best way to make it work might be... free download, no extra coding, no support (bad download? try it again...) Then an activation code required before the second battle... like they used to do with demo software...

I support this.
Of course having both possibilities, cd AND download would be the top

Federico "Resisti" Doveri

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 15
- 1/18/2002 5:46:00 PM   
ruxius

I am wondering ..: why not allowing both methods to get a MEGACD ?

That way anyone is free to choose according its own convenience..

THOUGHTS BOUT DOWNLOADING
-------------------------
I have got a 56K modem , but I made an agreement with my telephone provider..that way I can stay online all the day paying always the same fee..(the only problem is that I have only one telephone line..so Internet has to be moderated during the day) ..usually when I have big dowloads I keep my pc turned on all the night to succesfully get all the 36 Megs..
That's to say I can afford a downlo but which is my attitude towards a download ?
You know it : is Explorer a PERFECT CODED PROGRAM ? OR IS GETRIGHT BETTER ?
SPWAW has a new bug or I missed some bits during dowloading ? Reliability is NEVER 100% ( I am a 'programmer' ..I know it for sure !)
--------------------------------------
Proposals to make downloading purchasing more safe :
purchasers should be enabled to login a Matrix's page where different downloading sessions are available..
First there is a STRUCTURING document where all the files are listed and their role is explained..
Reading this documentation the player is helped to understand where some bugs can be located and eventually he can decide to retry a download for separated files. Examples
Say you see picture xxxx.yyy is not displayed correctly in the game ..let's go to read documentation , found the file , login the site and download only the zip containing all the shape files.. say your downloaded copy crashes after installing ..you are free to dowload again only the spwaw.exe file.. Obviously a downloaded version should be a little cheaper than a copy burned into a CD.. This happened to me today
-------------------------
Let me say I received LV yesterday..into the main menu I am prompted if installing SPWAW7.0 or installing the LV Megacampaigns..
if I choose the second option (after having installed the first option ) the installer does not start..I only hear the music (and I can't stop it to go on)..then I receive
the message :
ERROR : UGRADE.EXE The specified file can not be found ! Surfing on the CD I found in the main directory
a file called Update.exe
Maybe it's only a naming problem for that file..
I found that installing the SPWAW7.0 automatically I got the LV campaign installed..
Anyway I would like to connect the page and download for instance the autorun file.
Providing these services I will be more encouraged to buy a downloadable big program. Then I can burn a copy to backup it which is entirely ok !

REASONS for burning a CD
------------------------
People who can't burn a safe copy of the game and who can't pay the downlo ecc.ecc. can order a CD like usually did till now..
Also you got a printed CD !!!
As regards free dowloading based on honouring pay and I disagree .
My call for loyalty collected less than 100 best supporters of SPWAW ! I am sure we , the Loyalist ,are much more, I understand not everyone joins for different and good reasons ; anyway the majority of the people of the forum is not ready to support Matrix as they deserve..
Since SPWAW is free it's clear MEGACD are the ONLY WAY LEFT to Matrix to bring on a big project..
we have to understand MEGACDs can not be free
I am ready here anyway to help all my countrymates if they need..if MEGACD wil be available only by download I can burn a copy of MEGACD after Matrix assured me they received money from that fellows..than I will ship a copy from here..postal expedition fee should be not too much within Italy

Sorry for long post ..
Ruxius

Italian Soldier,German Discipline!

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 16
- 1/18/2002 5:50:00 PM   
Don Doom

I can do either DL or cd, that is do to having DSL at home and down loading is not a problem and now that I have a cd burner at home, I am all set.

Doom
Vet of the Russian General Winter
For death is only the begining

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 17
- 1/18/2002 5:52:00 PM   
Warrior

DOWNLOAD! I have purchased many programs via download, then burned them to CD so I have "hard" media. I've also had downloaded programs that I needed to replace or redownload. Digital River has proven able to handle this very well, Matrix could ask them about how they do it, or even offer the MC through them. I've changed computers, Operating Systems, etc., and still been able to get the program I needed if it were lost somehow. Matrix, remember that name: Digital River for downloads.

Retreat is NOT an option.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 18
- 1/18/2002 6:07:00 PM   
toundra

I vote for the downloadable campaign!!!!

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 19
- 1/18/2002 6:08:00 PM   
Jompa

I haven't really had the time to read through all the post in this thread before I make this comment (in a bit of a hurry). With the risk of repeating what someone else allready might have said my question is: Why haven't this suggestion come up earlier from Matrixgames side? Personally I think that making future megacampaigns downloadable (and why not the ones allready finished), will boost the sellings on the campaigns dramatically! I live in Sweden and have had to pay just as much for the shipping as for the game itself. I am also a student and am not disposing a lot of money right now, and this have forced me not to buy the megacampaigns, even though I really wanted to. I have alot of friends that I have introduced to SPWAW that feels just the same. PLEASE release future megacampaigns via download. I will definately buy some of them!!!

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 20
- 1/18/2002 6:11:00 PM   
Eddie

I'd vote for DL (I have ADSL )
MCNA is great and I ordered MCLV but shipping fees were more than the product itself, so I had a hard time deciding whether to order or not. Eddie

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 21
- 1/18/2002 6:33:00 PM   
gnoccop

I VOTE FOR DL OPTION. I've pre-ordered MCLV (recived gen. 04 2002)and the cost for the spedition was more then what I've give to matrix : ( For me is better to give money to Matrix then FedEx. Now I would like to buy MCWatchTower (24.99$ = 28.36 Euro), but the spedition cost and VAT is too high (also if I buy in england with Duchet; 24.99£ = 40.73 Euro).

"Violence is the last resource of incompetents". (I. Asimov)

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 22
- 1/18/2002 9:43:00 PM   
pops

I'd go for DL....some day I may even be able to afford one of these....with three kids...I NEVER have extra money ...hope things pick up..I'd love to support Matrix

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 23
- 1/18/2002 9:56:00 PM   
RichardTheFirst

DOWNLOAD Absolutely. 1 - I have a cable connection and that type of connection is increasing more and more 2 - There are very reliable 3rd parties that could guarantee the transaction for both parts with the secrecy regarding VISA or other credit cards. 3 - The costs will be about half for us non-american residents 4 - The risk of piracy already exists so no new risks envolved 5 - The increase of demand (due to lower costs) will more than pay the costs of implementation. 6 - Matrix Image, self-explanatory [ January 18, 2002: Message edited by: RichardTheFirst ]

E Pluribus Unum

Join Steel Panthers Fans

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 24
- 1/18/2002 10:05:00 PM   
AlvinS

I will purchase them either way you provide them. I would gladly save shipping and handling costs. AlvinS

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." ---Mark Twain

Naval Warfare Simulations

AlvinS

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 25
- 1/18/2002 10:25:00 PM   
lnp4668

Download would save the shipping cost for user as well as saving the cd mastering cost for matrix. However, it would leave those without high speed access in a lurch. I vote for download because it would save for both the user and Matrix. However, I would understand if others complain.

"My friends, remember this, that there are no bad herbs, and no bad men; there are only bad cultivators." Les Miserables

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 26
- 1/19/2002 4:43:00 AM   
sctrogers

I vote for CD.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 27
- 1/19/2002 6:37:00 AM   
Mikimoto

Hi. I have cable connection. I feel stupid when shipping costs doubles the money I pay. I paid almost 50 dollars for MCLV and the feel was actually... stupid.
You can make what you want but if downloads become available, it will be good for some people. And a silly bad uninportant stupid thing for others.
Why don't you try both ways?

Desperta ferro!
Miquel Guasch Aparicio

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 28
- 1/19/2002 6:44:00 AM   
Kiwi

Even with a slow far away connection like my 44k bps I downloaded the full 450mb of SPWAW over several nights using a download manager. Most ISPs have flat fee access to unlimited mbs with a standard modem. Guy.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 29
- 1/19/2002 7:56:00 AM   
BvB

Both have their pro & con. Personnally I'd rather have the hard copy mailed to me.
So why not have both? Make us hard copy folks pay extra to cover your costs.

Enlisted during Nixon, retired during Clinton then went postal - joined the USPS, then retired from that during Obama.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> One More Question about anohter Mega Campaign Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI