Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Why was Patton so great?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Why was Patton so great? Page: <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/23/2004 3:56:29 AM   
Golf33

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kevinugly

quote:

ORIGINAL: Von Rom

It will be produced, in time. However, since you have issued the challenge I expect to see 'your' analysis (not just a series of lengthy 'cut and paste' articles which is your usual modus operandi) first.

You know, I think a reasonable policy is not to expend more effort on reading a post than the poster put into producing it. Since it's only going to take about five seconds to press Ctrl-C and then Ctrl-V, that's about how long I'm going to spend reading long-winded articles culled off some .mil website.

It seems like a common courtesy when posting to a thread to quote the relevant passage - as in, the relevant few sentences - and to give a brief precis of the background of the article and any other relevant detail. Reproducing the whole thing in the expectation that someone else is going to read through it - just to discover, as in the account I queried, that it doesn't even touch on the subject at hand - doesn't seem like an approach worth the time to dissect.

Regards

Steve Golf33 Long

(in reply to Kevinugly)
Post #: 541
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/23/2004 3:58:24 AM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: IronDuke

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jane Doe

quote:

I post these articles because they contain exactly what I believe and what I have read over the years. Many of these articles are written by Generals, Ph.D.'s, etc, and contain VERY relevant information.

But
"Quoting an authority is not evidence. Quoting a majority opinion is not evidence. Any argument that starts with, "According to Einstein..." is not based on objective evidence. Any argument that starts with, "Most biologists believe..." is not based on objective evidence. Saying, "The Bible says..." is not evidence. Authorities and majorities can be wrong and frequently have been."

Having statements, backed by facts, is not "I believe". It IS objective evidence.

We are talking about History, not religion or evolution. . .

And, having an authority, such as a General, write a paper about Patton, DOES carry weight, because he is in a position, based on education and military experience to be able to evaluate Patton's qualities and military abilities.

If you have ever written a paper in university, then you must provide facts to back your assertions. Posting these well researched articles is my proof of the assertions I make about Patton.

The papers I post contain a great deal of research with proof backing them up. They are not just my opinion.

I have posted several well researched papers that have proved that Patton used Combined Arms with great mastery.

Prove that Patton did NOT use Combined Arms.

Give us your definition (not a website article to wade through) but your definition of combined arms. Just a few short sentences would suffice. A good example of this (perhaps from Patton) would help illustrate your definition. (Again please, if you're going to copy from a website, precis it and just give us the para or two that explains it. if I have to wade through all those quotes again...) Alternatively, you can say "I have posted lots of articles that make it clear what my definition is" (or words to that effect) and we can avoid discussing it. This isn't about Patton, I just want to know what your working definition of Combined Arms is so we know what it is you mean when you say "Patton was good at combined arms".

To prove he didn't do it, you need to tell us exactly what you mean by the term. Is it a tactical term, an operational one or a strategic one. How would you recognise good combined arms?

IronDuke

Oh, I feel bored. . .

BTW, Ironduke, aren't you going to give us that in-depth analysis of early German Blitkrieg victories from Sept/39 to Jan/42, like you promised?

So, you don't have a working definition of combined arms yet feel able to tell us Patton was good at this thing you don't have a working definition of. Interesting....It suggests you have read the things that Patton was supposed to be good at, but perhaps not fully understood them. This contradicts your assertion that these sites merely represent what you have been thinking all along. Of course, I may be wrong, and you may have a definition up your sleeve.

I too am bored, although I guarantee my boredom on early German victories (the word Blitzkrieg doesn't really mean anything) will lift allowing me to post about them, seconds after your boredom re explaining what you mean about combined arms lifts, and you stop dodging the question.

I repeat. Do you know what combined arms means, and will you briefly explain to discerning, critical forum members what your definition is? Otherwise, how can we believe that Patton was good at something, when we do not know what this "something" actually entails?

Ironduke

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 542
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/23/2004 4:00:58 AM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: Golf33

quote:

quote:

It will be produced, in time. However, since you have issued the challenge I expect to see 'your' analysis (not just a series of lengthy 'cut and paste' articles which is your usual modus operandi) first.

You know, I think a reasonable policy is not to expend more effort on reading a post than the poster put into producing it. Since it's only going to take about five seconds to press Ctrl-C and then Ctrl-V, that's about how long I'm going to spend reading long-winded articles culled off some .mil website.

It seems like a common courtesy when posting to a thread to quote the relevant passage - as in, the relevant few sentences - and to give a brief precis of the background of the article and any other relevant detail. Reproducing the whole thing in the expectation that someone else is going to read through it - just to discover, as in the account I queried, that it doesn't even touch on the subject at hand - doesn't seem like an approach worth the time to dissect.

Regards

I am humbled. I've been complaining about this for days, and you have put it more succinctly than I have so far managed. Are you sure you're Australian?

Regards (and )
IronDuke

(in reply to Golf33)
Post #: 543
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/23/2004 4:05:55 AM   
Von Rom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I post these articles because they contain exactly what I believe and what I have read over the years. Many of these articles are written by Generals, Ph.D.'s, etc, and contain VERY relevant information.

But
"Quoting an authority is not evidence. Quoting a majority opinion is not evidence. Any argument that starts with, "According to Einstein..." is not based on objective evidence. Any argument that starts with, "Most biologists believe..." is not based on objective evidence. Saying, "The Bible says..." is not evidence. Authorities and majorities can be wrong and frequently have been."

Having statements, backed by facts, is not "I believe". It IS objective evidence.

And, having an authority, such as a General, write a paper about Patton, DOES carry weight, because he is in a position, based on education and military experience to be able to evaluate Patton's qualities and military abilities.

If you have ever written a paper in university, then you must provide facts to back your assertions. Posting these well researched articles is my proof of the assertions I make about Patton.

The papers I post contain a great deal of research with proof backing them up. They are not just my opinion.

I have posted several well researched papers that have proved that Patton used Combined Arms with great mastery.

Give us your definition (not a website article to wade through) but your definition of combined arms. Just a few short sentences would suffice. A good example of this (perhaps from Patton) would help illustrate your definition. (Again please, if you're going to copy from a website, precis it and just give us the para or two that explains it. if I have to wade through all those quotes again...) Alternatively, you can say "I have posted lots of articles that make it clear what my definition is" (or words to that effect) and we can avoid discussing it. This isn't about Patton, I just want to know what your working definition of Combined Arms is so we know what it is you mean when you say "Patton was good at combined arms".

To prove he didn't do it, you need to tell us exactly what you mean by the term. Is it a tactical term, an operational one or a strategic one. How would you recognise good combined arms?

IronDuke

Oh, I feel bored. . .

BTW, Ironduke, aren't you going to give us that in-depth analysis of early German Blitkrieg victories from Sept/39 to Jan/42, like you promised?

So, you don't have a working definition of combined arms yet feel able to tell us Patton was good at this thing you don't have a working definition of. Interesting....It suggests you have read the things that Patton was supposed to be good at, but perhaps not fully understood them. This contradicts your assertion that these sites merely represent what you have been thinking all along. Of course, I may be wrong, and you may have a definition up your sleeve.

I too am bored, although I guarantee my boredom on early German victories (the word Blitzkrieg doesn't really mean anything) will lift allowing me to post about them, seconds after your boredom re explaining what you mean about combined arms lifts, and you stop dodging the question.

I repeat. Do you know what combined arms means, and will you briefly explain to discerning, critical forum members what your definition is? Otherwise, how can we believe that Patton was good at something, when we do not know what this "something" actually entails?

Ironduke

I repeat - I'm bored. . .

(in reply to IronDuke_slith)
Post #: 544
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/23/2004 4:07:38 AM   
Von Rom

quote:

quote:

quote:

It seems like a common courtesy when posting to a thread to quote the relevant passage - as in, the relevant few sentences - Regards

Did you know that there was a study done a while ago that said that people's attention spans were shrinking?

I think this is why commercials and Real Time Strategy games were invented. . .

However, I think there are still a few of us that prefer reading thoughtful books and articles. . .

< Message edited by Von Rom -- 7/23/2004 2:20:37 AM >

(in reply to Golf33)
Post #: 545
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/23/2004 4:18:44 AM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

Do you seriously believe this? I am astonished. I should have thought it obvious that diaries can be falsified in any number of ways, both at the time of writing and subsequently.

This is my last try at getting a direct answer to this direct question.

Regards

The section on Hammelburg in D'Este's (excellent work) provides some evidence for you. He makes it clear that a personal letter written home was at odds with other things Patton was writing and saying at this time about the incident. Two letters home, one three days before the incident and the other after the raiwas launched make it clear Patton knew who was there. In War as I knew it Patton tells us that he launched the raid to free 900 prisoners (no mention that he knew who was there) and to keep the enemy off balance as to his true intentions. Even more revealing is D'Este's description of the press conference at which Patton was asked to explain this action.

He recounts how Patton waved his Diaries and personal letters in the air insisting he had known nothing of the presence of his son in law. D'Este pretty conclusively shows that he did, using pesonal correspondence to his wife as the evidence. The correspondence pre-dated the raid, and specifically mentions the son in law as being at the camp.

These daries clearly omitted any mention of the true reason for the raid, which suggests they are not as reliable as has been claimed. Many military figures used their diaries whilst writing memoirs after the war, and I believe Patton (as War as I knew it demonstrates) would have written at length after the war about his role, as the other senior commanders did. Diaries are also published, I've seen AlanBrookes for example. Knowing this, he would have to have been careful when writing anything that it fit what he was publicly pronouncing at the time.

Still, this just means we have to treat Patton's diaries with the same caution as we treat any first peron account, not that they are useless. I think there is much in there that is useful.

regards,
IronDuke

< Message edited by IronDuke -- 7/23/2004 2:39:26 AM >

(in reply to Golf33)
Post #: 546
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/23/2004 4:24:55 AM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

But

IronDuke

Oh, I feel bored. . .

Ironduke

Fair enough, although a recent change in the law in the UK means that although someone is entitled to
say nothing (I believe the US refer to it as taking the 5th???) the jury are now allowed to draw whatever conclusions they see fit from such silence.

Regards,
IronDuke

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 547
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/23/2004 4:28:10 AM   
Kevinugly

Von Rom, why must everything be 'black and white' to you? You seem to think that if we don't regard him as the greatest general of recorded history then we believe him to be a worthless individual who just happened to 'luck out' and land the command of an American army. It just makes debate impossible.

Anyway, regarding Metz I thought I'd kick in with this:-

From http://www.sonic.net/~bstone/archives/990530.shtml

" Rickard, John Nelson. 'Patton at Bay: The Lorraine Campaign, September to December 1944.' Westport, CT: Praeger Publishers, 1999

For most students of World War II, General George S. Patton, Jr. holds a special place among US Army generals as the master of the American version of blitzkrieg. This reputation -- earned largely by his conduct of operations on Sicily in 1943 and in the pursuit from Normandy in 1944 -- was popularized in the mass market with the eponymously titled, and not always wholly accurate, film of the 1970's (starring George C. Scott) and solidified in more scholarly fashion by Carlo D'Este's 1995 biography.

Author John Nelson Rickard points out in his new book that previous treatments of Patton's military career have tended to ignore or minimize Third Army's bloody head-butting campaign in Lorraine from September to December 1944. In those months, after Patton's headlong pursuit of shattered German formations had outrun the Allied supply pipeline -- and the critical gasoline spigot in particular -- and reached a halt at Metz and Nancy, the series of frontal assaults and battles of attrition no more resembled Patton's preferred strategy of mobile warfare than the Battle of Stalingrad resembled the classic German blitz.

The book commences with a review of Patton's philosophy of battle, notes about his tactics in the Louisiana maneuvers of 1941, a brief comparison of the opposing armies of 1944, and a synopsis of the events leading up to the Lorraine campaign, notably the "cavalry-like" exploitation of Patton's Third Army following the breakout at St. Lo which Rickard praises but places in perspective.

It has also been suggested that Patton's opportunistic operational method did not prevent him from "meticulously" planning anticipated campaigns. Yet there was nothing "meticulous" about Patton's preparations for operations in Lorraine. In the fall of 1944 he was exuberant about his August successes where his tactical formula had worked to perfection. He would never cease in his attempt to impose the notions of the old cavalryman on the battlefield in Lorraine even when the circumstances demanded new methods.

Rickard examines with heavily footnoted detail the action in Lorraine mostly from the perspective of Patton's conduct of operations and carefully analyzes -- within the framework of friendly forces and capabilities, enemy forces and capabilities, terrain, weather conditions, logistics, and orders and limitations imposed by higher headquarters -- how Patton performed in an unfamiliar environment.

Indeed, the book is less an account of what happened, and more an analysis of Patton's role in making it happen, with an emphasis on evaluating -- almost second-guessing -- his options and decisions. Readers looking for a comprehensive account of the campaign itself might be somewhat disappointed as Rickard seems to assume that his audience will be familiar with earlier works (such as Hugh Cole's The Lorraine Campaign from the US Army official history series) which focus on the nitty-gritty of maneuver and combat.

Rickard quotes Cole liberally as well as presenting information and opinion from authors (such as Kemp, D'Este, Wilmot, Blumenson, Gabel, Nye, Weigley, and others) who have plowed the same ground, even if not so deeply or carefully. In that respect, Patton at Bay, in its attention to previous works and its constant measuring and weighing of the opinions and conclusions of other writers, sometimes seems more like a doctoral thesis (or even a "compare and contrast" assignment) than a piece of original scholarship. In the end, though, Rickard's approach proves thorough and satisfactory and he is not shy about offering his own point of view.

On the 17th, Patton sent his Chief of Staff, Major General Hugh J. Gaffey, to hurry Eddy in his preparations. Though Gaffey was a highly capable officer and enjoyed the full confidence of the army commander, it was Patton who needed to be at the front with Eddy, pushing him to make sure that XII Corps attacked on schedule. Patton justified his decision to send Gaffey by stating "I have been going to the front so much and kicking so much about delay that I have the generals jittery so I am spending a Sunday in the truck with Willie." This may not have been the best time to play with his pet dog.
Although this might sound a little catty, Rickard's thoroughness pays off with, for example, tables listing all visits by Patton and his senior staff officers to subordinate headquarters.

Rickard acknowledges Patton's strengths and often highlights occasions on which Patton's perception of the larger campaign -- and his plans for exploiting the situation -- made more sense than the plans of superiors. Still, in what is mostly a fair and balanced analysis, Patton receives considerable criticism for his handling of the Lorraine campaign and the costly, clumsy initial attacks against Metz in particular. Among Rickard's verdicts:

· Patton failed to heed intelligence warnings of enemy capabilities
· He continued to rely on failed plans after they had proved unworkable
· On a number of occasions he failed to clearly state his intentions and coordinate his subordinates
· He neglected to take into account his own shortages of manpower, equipment, and air support
· He incorrectly maintained his focus on assaulting Metz rather than masking it

In summary:
Patton was still on probation [after the slapping incidents in Sicily] when he entered Lorraine... Eisenhower still deemed it essential that he be kept under control. Bradley was Patton's greatest restraint....
The result was caution on Patton's part....

Although he regained some of his swagger after the success of the Normandy campaign, Patton certainly never brought his full improvisational style to bear in Lorraine. But excuses cannot be made for his failure to make sound tactical decisions. His difficulties were produced by a failure to sometimes face the obvious but also due to the incompatibility of his established battle philosophy with battle conditions in Lorraine, particularly his concepts of minimal interference and utilization of speed. However, had he not abandoned his most cherished concept, that of avoiding the enemy's main strength, his operations might have been far more successful.

Rickard's is a very analytical, somewhat dry account of Patton's decision-making in Lorraine. Some readers who consider Patton a genius and a hero might feel he is unfairly tarnished here, but most students of the war will welcome this detailed re-evaluation of a less spectacular aspect of the general's career. Also features some very comprehensive order of battle information plus data on casualties, replacements, and equipment losses in the appendices.

Recommended.

Available from online booksellers, local bookshops, or directly from Praeger.
Thanks to Praeger for providing this review copy.
Reviewed 30 May 1999
Copyright © 1999 by Bill Stone
May not be reproduced in any form without written permission of Stone & Stone"

Thankyou for using the World Wide Web. British designed, given freely to the World.

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 548
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/23/2004 4:33:40 AM   
Golf33

quote:

Whatever you say. . .

Patton knew nothing about battle; he didn't study military history; he didn't devote his life to his country; he and Third Army didn't capture more territory than any other army; he didn't train, inspire and lead his troops; Third Army got all its leadership and training tips from cards it found in Cracker Jack boxes. . .

Why, Patton was just a couch potato. . .

Now back to your regularly scheduled program. . .

Straw man. You haven't addressed my argument, you've manufactured an argument I didn't make in order to tear it down, in the hope that others will be fooled into thinking you've actually answered my point.

In fact if you read what you've posted above, as your 'summary' of my argument, then read what I actually did post, you'll see you have misrepresented my argument so seriously that it's hard to think it isn't deliberate. If you like I can quote my post, then your version of my post, to prove this.

Regards

< Message edited by Golf33 -- 7/23/2004 1:37:57 PM >

Steve Golf33 Long

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 549
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/23/2004 5:00:24 AM   
warhead2

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Culiacan Mexico

quote:

ORIGINAL: Frank
For Western - Allied leaders, he is a good one. For German leaders he was average IMHO.
I was never that impressed with the average German General when it came to leadership ability.

Interesting. I always have. The situations within the respective armies were different, but I always thought the superior training of the pre-war German Officer Corp, allied with greater attrition rates which meant more officers got the chance to command, meant generally they were a more competent bunch than anything the Allies possessed.

Would Any German commander have kept his post if roles had been reversed at Messina etc, or they had taken three months with naval and air supremacy to breakout from Normandy? Ultimately, since only success guaranteed continuing employment, better officers gravitated to the surface in the Wehrmacht.

Regards,
IronDuke

Here again, is another one your lop-sided opinions.

Patton can do no right no matter what he does.

However, everything German officers did is brilliant no matter the circumstances.

Let's take a look at the so-called "brilliant" BlitzKrieg of the early German years, shall we?

The Germans surprise-attacked the unprepared Poles, bombing poor defenceless Warsaw. The Poles attacked German tanks with cavalry. Quite the achievement

Next, came poor little neutral Belgium. A surprise attack forced its surrender - another brilliant military move.

Next on the agenda was poor, defenceless Denmark - yes quite the military victory.

Then there was Holland - the technique of bombing defenceless Rotterdam is still studied today. . .

Then of course, there was the surprise attack through the Ardennes at Sedan, when German tanks basically raced for the channel, hardly encountering any opposition. The Germans faced divided, inexperienced, and poorly led Allied forces.

And at Dunkirk, the Germans couldn't even capture all the defenceless Allied soldiers trapped on the beaches

Yes, yes, all brilliant.

Then of course, the Germans attacked Russia in a surprise attack, surrounding and defeating a poorly led rabble. All those encirclements meant that those German officers encountered very little opposition. And the opposition they did encounter, was carried out by troops with low morale, poor clothing and weapons, and with very poor leadership.

Yes, what stunning successes. . .

My God,I have yet to get to the end of this "debate",but I must chime in here and say you sure do have a simpleton's view of the "blitzkrieg". Reading thus far has been like an instruction on how to lose a debate..you're getting your *ss handed to you,and you don't even realize it.

Cheers!

"Whenever I watch TV and see those poor starving kids all over the world, I can't help but cry. I mean I'd love to be skinny like that, but not with all those flies and death and stuff,"
--Mariah Carey

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 550
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/23/2004 6:10:53 AM   
Von Rom

quote:

quote:

Do you seriously believe this? I am astonished. I should have thought it obvious that diaries can be falsified in any number of ways, both at the time of writing and subsequently.

Regards

The section on Hammelburg in D'Este's (excellent work) provides some evidence for you. He makes it clear that a personal letter written home was at odds with other things Patton was writing and saying at this time about the incident. Two letters home, one three days before the incident and the other after the raiwas launched make it clear Patton knew who was there. In War as I knew it Patton tells us that he launched the raid to free 900 prisoners (no mention that he knew who was there) and to keep the enemy off balance as to his true intentions. Even more revealing is D'Este's description of the press conference at which Patton was asked to explain this action.

He recounts how Patton waved his Diaries and personal letters in the air insisting he had known nothing of the presence of his son in law. D'Este pretty conclusively shows that he did, using pesonal correspondence to his wife as the evidence. The correspondence pre-dated the raid, and specifically mentions the son in law as being at the camp.

These daries clearly omitted any mention of the true reason for the raid, which suggests they are not as reliable as has been claimed. Many military figures used their diaries whilst writing memoirs after the war, and I believe Patton (as War as I knew it demonstrates) would have written at length after the war about his role, as the other senior commanders did. Diaries are also published, I've seen AlanBrookes for example. Knowing this, he would have to have been careful when writing anything that it fit what he was publicly pronouncing at the time.

Still, this just means we have to treat Patton's diaries with the same caution as we treat any first peron account, not that they are useless. I think there is much in there that is useful.

regards,
IronDuke

I now know why I'm bored.

The level of debate here has entered the realm of Mush. . .

Why does it feel like I'm reading a page of gossip from the National Enquirer or watching an episode of Jerry Springer?

I guess when Great Men like Patton, MacArthur, Ike, Kennedy, Caesar and Napoleon dare to do Great Things, they can also make mistakes.

But never fear, there is always an Oswald or a Booth standing nearby to take a shot at them. . .

I have read the accounts of the Hammelburg Incident in D'Este and Blumenson as well as a few other places, and the general consensus is this:

D'Este says that the evidence that Patton knew that Waters was in Hammelburg is circumstantial. In other words, Patton might have known Waters was in the POW camp, but then again, he might not have know.

Blumenson adds that when Waters saw Patton he asked him if he knew he was in the camp, and Patton replied: "I didn't know for sure."

What is known for sure is that a POW camp containing American POWs was in Hammelburg and that Waters might be there. Apparently the POWs in a camp in Poland were moved to Hammelburg. The belief was that Waters might have been in that Polish camp as well. But no one knew if he was even alive.

In Patton's two letters to his wife, he mentions that "he" (Waters) is in the camp. But this may have been Patton being overly optimistic to his wife about rescuing their Son-In-Law. Many men will tend to put on a brave, optimistic face for their wives, if something bad might happen. Also, Patton suffered from Dyslexia, so he may not have written it the way he had intended to.

Even after the incident was over, the only thing Patton regretted was not in sending a larger rescue force as he had originally intended.

As it stood, the rescue force freed 700 Russian POWs, and liberated the POW camp in Hammelburg that was holding 5,000 POWs, including Waters. However, this rescue attempt ultimately failed.

A short time later another rescue party liberated the camp.

The verdict?

Patton maintains he did not know for sure if Waters was in the camp. No one really did. He felt since there were 5,000 POWs there anyway, it was worth liberating. He also felt that it would cause a diversion and draw German forces away from his main thrust of attack.

Personally, I feel it has been made into a big deal for two reasons:

1) Patton's critics can feel all warm and fuzzy inside because they have found a chink in the armour of the Great Patton; and

2) The fact that the original operation failed. If Patton had sent a larger force as he had originally intended, and had it been successful, the whole operation would just be a footnote in history.

Therefore, those who dislike Patton will continue to ring the Bell of Hammelburg, while fair-minded people, when considering Patton's Great Accomplishments, will place this incident in the proper perspective as it should be. . .

Incidently (and it comes as no surprise to me) that Charles Whiting has written a book about this incident called "48 Hours to Hammelburg: Patton's Secret Ghost". No doubt he will be fair and objective about Patton.

< Message edited by Von Rom -- 7/23/2004 5:32:38 AM >

Post #: 551
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/23/2004 6:15:01 AM   
Von Rom

quote:

quote:

Whatever you say. . .

Patton knew nothing about battle; he didn't study military history; he didn't devote his life to his country; he and Third Army didn't capture more territory than any other army; he didn't train, inspire and lead his troops; Third Army got all its leadership and training tips from cards it found in Cracker Jack boxes. . .

Why, Patton was just a couch potato. . .

Now back to your regularly scheduled program. . .

Straw man. You haven't addressed my argument, you've manufactured an argument I didn't make in order to tear it down, in the hope that others will be fooled into thinking you've actually answered my point.

In fact if you read what you've posted above, as your 'summary' of my argument, then read what I actually did post, you'll see you have misrepresented my argument so seriously that it's hard to think it isn't deliberate. If you like I can quote my post, then your version of my post, to prove this.

Regards

Sorry, but I consider the whole line of argument obtuse. . .

And. . .

I'm getting bored. . .

< Message edited by Von Rom -- 7/23/2004 4:40:04 AM >

(in reply to Golf33)
Post #: 552
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/23/2004 6:18:32 AM   
Von Rom

quote:

ORIGINAL: warhead2

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

For Western - Allied leaders, he is a good one. For German leaders he was average IMHO.
I was never that impressed with the average German General when it came to leadership ability.

Interesting. I always have. The situations within the respective armies were different, but I always thought the superior training of the pre-war German Officer Corp, allied with greater attrition rates which meant more officers got the chance to command, meant generally they were a more competent bunch than anything the Allies possessed.

Would Any German commander have kept his post if roles had been reversed at Messina etc, or they had taken three months with naval and air supremacy to breakout from Normandy? Ultimately, since only success guaranteed continuing employment, better officers gravitated to the surface in the Wehrmacht.

Regards,
IronDuke

However, everything German officers did is brilliant no matter the circumstances.

Let's take a look at the so-called "brilliant" BlitzKrieg of the early German years, shall we?

The Germans surprise-attacked the unprepared Poles, bombing poor defenceless Warsaw. The Poles attacked German tanks with cavalry. Quite the achievement

Next, came poor little neutral Belgium. A surprise attack forced its surrender - another brilliant military move.

Next on the agenda was poor, defenceless Denmark - yes quite the military victory.

Then there was Holland - the technique of bombing defenceless Rotterdam is still studied today. . .

Then of course, there was the surprise attack through the Ardennes at Sedan, when German tanks basically raced for the channel, hardly encountering any opposition. The Germans faced divided, inexperienced, and poorly led Allied forces.

And at Dunkirk, the Germans couldn't even capture all the defenceless Allied soldiers trapped on the beaches

Yes, yes, all brilliant.

Then of course, the Germans attacked Russia in a surprise attack, surrounding and defeating a poorly led rabble. All those encirclements meant that those German officers encountered very little opposition. And the opposition they did encounter, was carried out by troops with low morale, poor clothing and weapons, and with very poor leadership.

My God,I have yet to get to the end of this "debate",but I must chime in here and say you sure do have a simpleton's view of the "blitzkrieg". Reading thus far has been like an instruction on how to lose a debate..you're getting your *ss handed to you,and you don't even realize it.

Cheers!

Ohhhh, yes it's quite shocking, isn't it. . .

When people can fault Patton for victories against supposedly inferior forces, then I can compare and find fault of early German Blitzkrieg victories against inferior forces.

Did you catch that?

Or am I being too simple for you?

< Message edited by Von Rom -- 7/23/2004 5:35:01 AM >

(in reply to warhead2)
Post #: 553
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/23/2004 6:30:58 AM   
Von Rom

quote:

Von Rom, why must everything be 'black and white' to you? You seem to think that if we don't regard him as the greatest general of recorded history then we believe him to be a worthless individual who just happened to 'luck out' and land the command of an American army. It just makes debate impossible.

" Rickard, John Nelson. 'Patton at Bay: The Lorraine Campaign, September to December 1944.' Westport, CT: Praeger Publishers, 1999

For most students of World War II, General George S. Patton, Jr. holds a special place among US Army generals as the master of the American version of blitzkrieg. This reputation -- earned largely by his conduct of operations on Sicily in 1943 and in the pursuit from Normandy in 1944 -- was popularized in the mass market with the eponymously titled, and not always wholly accurate, film of the 1970's (starring George C. Scott) and solidified in more scholarly fashion by Carlo D'Este's 1995 biography.

Author John Nelson Rickard points out in his new book that previous treatments of Patton's military career have tended to ignore or minimize Third Army's bloody head-butting campaign in Lorraine from September to December 1944. In those months, after Patton's headlong pursuit of shattered German formations had outrun the Allied supply pipeline -- and the critical gasoline spigot in particular -- and reached a halt at Metz and Nancy, the series of frontal assaults and battles of attrition no more resembled Patton's preferred strategy of mobile warfare than the Battle of Stalingrad resembled the classic German blitz.

The book commences with a review of Patton's philosophy of battle, notes about his tactics in the Louisiana maneuvers of 1941, a brief comparison of the opposing armies of 1944, and a synopsis of the events leading up to the Lorraine campaign, notably the "cavalry-like" exploitation of Patton's Third Army following the breakout at St. Lo which Rickard praises but places in perspective.

It has also been suggested that Patton's opportunistic operational method did not prevent him from "meticulously" planning anticipated campaigns. Yet there was nothing "meticulous" about Patton's preparations for operations in Lorraine. In the fall of 1944 he was exuberant about his August successes where his tactical formula had worked to perfection. He would never cease in his attempt to impose the notions of the old cavalryman on the battlefield in Lorraine even when the circumstances demanded new methods.

Rickard examines with heavily footnoted detail the action in Lorraine mostly from the perspective of Patton's conduct of operations and carefully analyzes -- within the framework of friendly forces and capabilities, enemy forces and capabilities, terrain, weather conditions, logistics, and orders and limitations imposed by higher headquarters -- how Patton performed in an unfamiliar environment.

Indeed, the book is less an account of what happened, and more an analysis of Patton's role in making it happen, with an emphasis on evaluating -- almost second-guessing -- his options and decisions. Readers looking for a comprehensive account of the campaign itself might be somewhat disappointed as Rickard seems to assume that his audience will be familiar with earlier works (such as Hugh Cole's The Lorraine Campaign from the US Army official history series) which focus on the nitty-gritty of maneuver and combat.

Rickard quotes Cole liberally as well as presenting information and opinion from authors (such as Kemp, D'Este, Wilmot, Blumenson, Gabel, Nye, Weigley, and others) who have plowed the same ground, even if not so deeply or carefully. In that respect, Patton at Bay, in its attention to previous works and its constant measuring and weighing of the opinions and conclusions of other writers, sometimes seems more like a doctoral thesis (or even a "compare and contrast" assignment) than a piece of original scholarship. In the end, though, Rickard's approach proves thorough and satisfactory and he is not shy about offering his own point of view.

On the 17th, Patton sent his Chief of Staff, Major General Hugh J. Gaffey, to hurry Eddy in his preparations. Though Gaffey was a highly capable officer and enjoyed the full confidence of the army commander, it was Patton who needed to be at the front with Eddy, pushing him to make sure that XII Corps attacked on schedule. Patton justified his decision to send Gaffey by stating "I have been going to the front so much and kicking so much about delay that I have the generals jittery so I am spending a Sunday in the truck with Willie." This may not have been the best time to play with his pet dog.
Although this might sound a little catty, Rickard's thoroughness pays off with, for example, tables listing all visits by Patton and his senior staff officers to subordinate headquarters.

Rickard acknowledges Patton's strengths and often highlights occasions on which Patton's perception of the larger campaign -- and his plans for exploiting the situation -- made more sense than the plans of superiors. Still, in what is mostly a fair and balanced analysis, Patton receives considerable criticism for his handling of the Lorraine campaign and the costly, clumsy initial attacks against Metz in particular. Among Rickard's verdicts:

· On a number of occasions he failed to clearly state his intentions and coordinate his subordinates
· He neglected to take into account his own shortages of manpower, equipment, and air support

In summary:
Patton was still on probation [after the slapping incidents in Sicily] when he entered Lorraine... Eisenhower still deemed it essential that he be kept under control. Bradley was Patton's greatest restraint....

Although he regained some of his swagger after the success of the Normandy campaign, Patton certainly never brought his full improvisational style to bear in Lorraine. But excuses cannot be made for his failure to make sound tactical decisions. His difficulties were produced by a failure to sometimes face the obvious but also due to the incompatibility of his established battle philosophy with battle conditions in Lorraine, particularly his concepts of minimal interference and utilization of speed. However, had he not abandoned his most cherished concept, that of avoiding the enemy's main strength, his operations might have been far more successful.

Rickard's is a very analytical, somewhat dry account of Patton's decision-making in Lorraine. Some readers who consider Patton a genius and a hero might feel he is unfairly tarnished here, but most students of the war will welcome this detailed re-evaluation of a less spectacular aspect of the general's career. Also features some very comprehensive order of battle information plus data on casualties, replacements, and equipment losses in the appendices.

Recommended.

Reviewed 30 May 1999

Ok, fair enough as it stands.

It's just a book review and is quite general in the details. But as a start - OK.

I take it you haven't read the book? So you really don't know what it says and how the author puts his argument together.

What else do you have?

What else have you read about Metz that makes you feel about the battle the way you do? Surely you didn't come to this conclusion just from reading this one book review?

Where are the other books you have read? Where are the articles?

Surely, just reading this one book review couldn't have made you so determined to defend the critics' belief that Patton was not at his best at Metz?

< Message edited by Von Rom -- 7/23/2004 4:43:20 AM >

(in reply to Kevinugly)
Post #: 554
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/23/2004 6:54:02 AM   
Von Rom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

But

IronDuke

Oh, I feel bored. . .

Ironduke

Fair enough, although a recent change in the law in the UK means that although someone is entitled to
say nothing (I believe the US refer to it as taking the 5th???) the jury are now allowed to draw whatever conclusions they see fit from such silence.

Regards,
IronDuke

I'm even more bored. . .

Post #: 555
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/23/2004 6:57:07 AM   
Von Rom

quote:

quote:

In summary:

Recommended.

Reviewed 30 May 1999

Ok, fair enough as it stands.

It's just a book review and is quite general in the details. But as a start - OK.

I take it you haven't read the book? So you really don't know what it says and how the author puts his argument together.

What else do you have?

What else have you read about Metz that makes you feel about the battle the way you do? Surely you didn't come to this conclusion just from reading this one book review?

Where are the other books you have read? Where are the articles?

Surely, just reading this one book review couldn't have made you so determined to defend the critics' belief that Patton was not at his best at Metz?

Just wanted to add:

Since you haven't read the book and I haven't read the book, then I thought I would include a review by a reader who has read the book.

BTW, what books/articles about the battle for Metz have you read?

So far you are off to a rocky start.

Apparently, Rickard, John Nelson, the author of 'Patton at Bay' is a Ph.D. candidate in military history at the University of New Brunswick, meaning he is still writing his doctorate.

Now for the reader's review:

Reviewer: A reader from Kansas City, Missouri USA

I found the book to be an exercise in academic deconstructionism. For example, the author assumed a lack of strategic flexibility on the part of Patton to deal with the static battle line. An interesting assumption but confusing tactics with strategy, especially grand strategy, is always a problematic tendency of academics.

A career military professional will see through the rather weak argument and see the authors attempt to lable the Lorraine campaign as a "defeat". The author predicates his argument of the assumption that the Ruhr was more important than it turned out to be, that Patton was wrong concerning his belief that, if supplies had not been redirected, he could have pressed the Rhine and misses the opportunity to see the creative flexibility of the 3rd Army as it relieved Bastogne, a feat which no other allied commander believed could be done in less than 30 days.

When viewed against the exploits of the 1st, 9th, and 5th Armies, it seems that the author is simply looking to write a book that will cause a stir about an American icon. Patton was rude, crude and certainly a primodona. He was wisely never choosen as a group commander, in my opinion. However,Patton, unlike Napolean, never lost and that is sometimes hard for "fair" minded American academics to take in light of his anti-academic approach to killing the enemy. Unlike Eisenhower and Bradely, who were overjoyed at the taking of territory, Patton, in his and his subordinates writtings, knew that to win wars you must engage and destroy the enemy not hold territory.

< Message edited by Von Rom -- 7/23/2004 5:38:36 AM >

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 556
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/23/2004 3:05:13 PM   
Golf33

quote:

I found the book to be an exercise in academic deconstructionism. For example, the author assumed a lack of strategic flexibility on the part of Patton to deal with the static battle line. An interesting assumption but confusing tactics with strategy, especially grand strategy, is always a problematic tendency of academics.

A career military professional will see through the rather weak argument and see the authors attempt to lable the Lorraine campaign as a "defeat". The author predicates his argument of the assumption that the Ruhr was more important than it turned out to be, that Patton was wrong concerning his belief that, if supplies had not been redirected, he could have pressed the Rhine and misses the opportunity to see the creative flexibility of the 3rd Army as it relieved Bastogne, a feat which no other allied commander believed could be done in less than 30 days.

When viewed against the exploits of the 1st, 9th, and 5th Armies, it seems that the author is simply looking to write a book that will cause a stir about an American icon. Patton was rude, crude and certainly a primodona. He was wisely never choosen as a group commander, in my opinion. However,Patton, unlike Napolean, never lost and that is sometimes hard for "fair" minded American academics to take in light of his anti-academic approach to killing the enemy. Unlike Eisenhower and Bradely, who were overjoyed at the taking of territory, Patton, in his and his subordinates writtings, knew that to win wars you must engage and destroy the enemy not hold territory.

Wow. A review from someone who can come up with a term like "academic deconstructionism" but doesn't know how to spell Bradley or even Napoleon - let alone "primodonna". If I was Rickard I'd be laughing.

Regards

Steve Golf33 Long

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 557
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/23/2004 4:24:27 PM   
Kevinugly

quote:

Au contraire (check the spelling) I have more!

From - http://www-cgsc.army.mil/carl/resources/csi/gabel3/gabel3.asp

quote:

The Lorraine campaign, which began in September with the promise of imminent victory, ended in December with Third Army rushing north to help avert disaster in the Ardennes. What conclusions can be drawn from this costly and frustrating campaign?

Historians and analysts have often critized yhe American commanders in the Lorraine campaign. One shortcoming that they have identified was a tedency toward overoptimism, criticized an understandable development given the great victories won in July and August and the information generated by Ultra. The successful conduct of the operational level of war requires the commander to look beyond the immediate battlefield and project himself forward in space and time, but this trait was carried to excess in Lorraine at the echelons above corps. From September to December, Eisenhower, Bradley, and Patton had their sights set firmly beyond the Rhine. Consequently, they underestimated the obstacles and opposition that their soldiers would have to overcome along the way. Thus, a difference in outlook arose between the higher commanders who drew large arrows on maps and the tactical units fighting for yards of muddy ground.

General Patton can also be faulted for neglecting to practice economy of force. We have noted several instances in which Third Army's forces were spread out on a broad front in an attempt to be strong everywhere with the result that they were decisively strong nowhere. In retrospect, the important battle in September was XII Corps' fight around Nancy, and in November, the main effort was XX Corps' assault against Metz. And yet Patton failed to concentrate Third Army's resources in reinforcement of the corps engaged in decisive operations. Furthermore, Patton never made an attempt to punch through the German defenses with divisions in column, even though he received approval for such an operation from his superior, LTG Bradley. One rule of thumb for mechanized forces that emerged from World War II was to march dispersed but concentrate to fight. In Lorraine, Third Army fought dispersed. (See Map 15.)

A similar criticism can be made of Patton's corps commanders. Walker and Eddy tended repeatedly to disperse their divisions and assign them missions beyond their means. We have seen several examples of important operations undertaken by divisions or parts of divisions without adequate planning or support, even though other forces could have been obtained to augment the effort by practicing economy of force. The corps commanders were trapped between Patton, who continually urged aggressive action, and the grim realities of terrain, weather, and a determined enemy. Perhaps it is not surprising that at times Walker and Eddy became preoccupied with local problems and lost sight of the broader issues. As a result, at the corps level the Lorraine campaign was a disjointed affair, with little cooperation between corps, and little continuity from one operation to the next. However, such operations as the tank battle leading to Arracourt and the 90th Division crossing of the Moselle at Koenigsmacker demonstrated that the American corps commanders were not incapable of applying force in a flexible and decisive manner.

The American armored elements were not at their best in Lorraine either. Much of this can be attributed to the weather, but some of the blame must be given to the army commander for binding his armored divisions into infantry-heavy corps. Patton's reluctance to mass his armor came as a pleasant surprise to the Germans, who believed that their panzer divisions were just as useful in creating breakthroughs as they were in exploiting them. At a lower level, the combat command concept provided great tactical flexibility through decentralized control, but it also tempted Patton's corps commanders to break up the armored division and parcel it out by combat commands, a policy that further diluted Third Army's armored punch. Organizationally, the Armored Division of 1944 proved to be weak in infantry, a shortcoming often made good by detaching battalions from infantry divisions and assigning them to armored combat commands.

Finally, the Lorraine campaign demonstrated that logistics often drive operations, no matter how forceful and aggressive the commanding general may be. In the August pursuit that brought Third Army to Lorraine, General Patton daringly violated tactical principles and conducted improvised operations with great success. He discovered, however, that the violation of logistical principles is an unforgiving and cumulative matter. Sooner or later, every improvisation and shortcut taken must be repaid. Third Army's logtstical shortcuts included burning up gasoline reserves to keep an advance going and then neglecting ammunition supply to bring up gasoline. The slowdown that affected all of the Allied forces in September and October was the inevitable price to be paid for gambling logistically that the war could be ended in August. Moreover, in spite of the logistical mobility afforded by motorization, remember that the trucks running the Red Ball Express consumed a greater and greater proportion of their cargoes as the advance progressed, forcing Third Army to turn to two time-honored methods of supply--railroad transport and local requisition.

I'd recommend anyone taking the link I've provided above. I've 'cut and pasted' the relevant sections but the whole article includes a good overview of the campaign in Lorraine as well as plenty of useful maps and ToEs.

Thankyou for using the World Wide Web. British designed, given freely to the World.

(in reply to Golf33)
Post #: 558
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/23/2004 4:37:03 PM   
Von Rom

quote:

quote:

Wow. A review from someone who can come up with a term like "academic deconstructionism" but doesn't know how to spell Bradley or even Napoleon - let alone "primodonna". If I was Rickard I'd be laughing.

Regards

Mistaking spelling for the person's reasoning skills is probably another reason for people to be laughing...

But then, you probably haven't read the book either....

(in reply to Golf33)
Post #: 559
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/23/2004 4:48:56 PM   
Von Rom

quote:

quote:

Au contraire (check the spelling) I have more!

From - http://www-cgsc.army.mil/carl/resources/csi/gabel3/gabel3.asp

quote:

The Lorraine campaign, which began in September with the promise of imminent victory, ended in December with Third Army rushing north to help avert disaster in the Ardennes. What conclusions can be drawn from this costly and frustrating campaign?

Historians and analysts have often critized yhe American commanders in the Lorraine campaign. One shortcoming that they have identified was a tedency toward overoptimism, criticized an understandable development given the great victories won in July and August and the information generated by Ultra. The successful conduct of the operational level of war requires the commander to look beyond the immediate battlefield and project himself forward in space and time, but this trait was carried to excess in Lorraine at the echelons above corps. From September to December, Eisenhower, Bradley, and Patton had their sights set firmly beyond the Rhine. Consequently, they underestimated the obstacles and opposition that their soldiers would have to overcome along the way. Thus, a difference in outlook arose between the higher commanders who drew large arrows on maps and the tactical units fighting for yards of muddy ground.

General Patton can also be faulted for neglecting to practice economy of force. We have noted several instances in which Third Army's forces were spread out on a broad front in an attempt to be strong everywhere with the result that they were decisively strong nowhere. In retrospect, the important battle in September was XII Corps' fight around Nancy, and in November, the main effort was XX Corps' assault against Metz. And yet Patton failed to concentrate Third Army's resources in reinforcement of the corps engaged in decisive operations. Furthermore, Patton never made an attempt to punch through the German defenses with divisions in column, even though he received approval for such an operation from his superior, LTG Bradley. One rule of thumb for mechanized forces that emerged from World War II was to march dispersed but concentrate to fight. In Lorraine, Third Army fought dispersed. (See Map 15.)

A similar criticism can be made of Patton's corps commanders. Walker and Eddy tended repeatedly to disperse their divisions and assign them missions beyond their means. We have seen several examples of important operations undertaken by divisions or parts of divisions without adequate planning or support, even though other forces could have been obtained to augment the effort by practicing economy of force. The corps commanders were trapped between Patton, who continually urged aggressive action, and the grim realities of terrain, weather, and a determined enemy. Perhaps it is not surprising that at times Walker and Eddy became preoccupied with local problems and lost sight of the broader issues. As a result, at the corps level the Lorraine campaign was a disjointed affair, with little cooperation between corps, and little continuity from one operation to the next. However, such operations as the tank battle leading to Arracourt and the 90th Division crossing of the Moselle at Koenigsmacker demonstrated that the American corps commanders were not incapable of applying force in a flexible and decisive manner.

The American armored elements were not at their best in Lorraine either. Much of this can be attributed to the weather, but some of the blame must be given to the army commander for binding his armored divisions into infantry-heavy corps. Patton's reluctance to mass his armor came as a pleasant surprise to the Germans, who believed that their panzer divisions were just as useful in creating breakthroughs as they were in exploiting them. At a lower level, the combat command concept provided great tactical flexibility through decentralized control, but it also tempted Patton's corps commanders to break up the armored division and parcel it out by combat commands, a policy that further diluted Third Army's armored punch. Organizationally, the Armored Division of 1944 proved to be weak in infantry, a shortcoming often made good by detaching battalions from infantry divisions and assigning them to armored combat commands.

Finally, the Lorraine campaign demonstrated that logistics often drive operations, no matter how forceful and aggressive the commanding general may be. In the August pursuit that brought Third Army to Lorraine, General Patton daringly violated tactical principles and conducted improvised operations with great success. He discovered, however, that the violation of logistical principles is an unforgiving and cumulative matter. Sooner or later, every improvisation and shortcut taken must be repaid. Third Army's logtstical shortcuts included burning up gasoline reserves to keep an advance going and then neglecting ammunition supply to bring up gasoline. The slowdown that affected all of the Allied forces in September and October was the inevitable price to be paid for gambling logistically that the war could be ended in August. Moreover, in spite of the logistical mobility afforded by motorization, remember that the trucks running the Red Ball Express consumed a greater and greater proportion of their cargoes as the advance progressed, forcing Third Army to turn to two time-honored methods of supply--railroad transport and local requisition.

I'd recommend anyone taking the link I've provided above. I've 'cut and pasted' the relevant sections but the whole article includes a good overview of the campaign in Lorraine as well as plenty of useful maps and ToEs.

Well, since some people here don't have the attention span of a moth, and won't read anything longer than 2 paragraphs, I doubt they will follow your advice and read the entire article.

If you have read that article carefully, then just cutting and pasting those few paragraphs from it, does both a great disservice to the author of the article, to the reader here, and to your so-called "analysis."

You have left out so much of the article that explains Patton's predicament as to be laughable.

This is how I thought you were going to handle this debate over Metz.

To keep this from getting messy, let's handle Metz this way:

First, in your own words, with a few references, write an introduction of Patton's situation up to the time he halted outside of Metz. I will then do the same thing.

Then we will handle Metz on a month-by-month basis - OK?

< Message edited by Von Rom -- 7/23/2004 3:06:34 PM >

(in reply to Kevinugly)
Post #: 560
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/23/2004 4:54:26 PM   
Kevinugly

quote:

If you have read that article carefully, then just cutting and pasting those few paragraphs from it, does both a great disservice to the author of the article, to the reader here, and to your so-called "analysis."

How? You've just made a sweeping assertion regarding a lengthy article that you don't agree with. Now explain yourself. If you cannot provide evidence to back your comment then I suggest you fold.

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 561
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/23/2004 5:12:24 PM   
Von Rom

quote:

quote:

How? You've just made a sweeping assertion regarding a lengthy article that you don't agree with. Now explain yourself. If you cannot provide evidence to back your comment then I suggest you fold.

"Fold?"

I haven't even started. . .

Since you won't approach Metz in a systematic way, then I will just do my own thing regarding Metz.

(in reply to Kevinugly)
Post #: 562
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/23/2004 5:50:26 PM   
Von Rom

Patton at Metz

My apologies if this post is a bit long, however, I think it is vitally important to read it and understand the situation of Patton and Third Army by September, 1944, before the Battle for Metz started.

All of the information contained in this post is from the article Kevinugly posted above.

Introduction

After the initial breakout, Patton's army pursued German forces deep into France. Armored spearheads led the way, with infantry riding the backs of the tanks. Overhead, fighter-bombers patrolled the flanks and attacked any German unit that took to the roads in daylight. With the remnants of two German army groups in full retreat, the Supreme Allied Commander, GEN Dwight D. Eisenhower, noted in his diary on 5 September, "The defeat of the German Army is complete."

As Third Army neared the French border province of Lorraine, Third Army's intelligence sources seemed to confirm that the war was virtually over. The top-secret interceptions known as Ultra revealed that the Franco-German border was virtually undefended and would remain so until mid-September. A corps reconnaissance squadron reported that the Moselle River, the, last major water barrier in France, was also undefended. Patton issued orders to his corps to seize Metz and Nancy, sweep through Lorraine, and cross the Rhine River at Mannheim and Mainz.

Yet, just as Patton was about to seize Metz and Nancy, and then sweep through Lorraine to the German border, fuel shortage caused Third Army to stop dead in its tracks.

When Patton's tanks sputtered to a halt, the German forces defending Lorraine totaled only 9 infantry battalions, 2 artillery batteries, and 10 tanks. During the first week in September, while Third Army was immobilized, German forces flowed into Lorraine from the northern sector of the front, from southern France, and from Italy. The headquarters charged with the defense of Lorraine was Army Group G, under the command of GEN Johannes Blaskowitz. First Army, Nineteenth Army, and later Fifth Panzer Army were Blaskowitz's major forces.

When Patton's troops received enough gasoline to resume their advance towards the Moselle on 5 September, after a delay of nearly a week, the troops quickly discovered that the great pursuit was over. Instead of running down the fleeing fragments of shattered German units, soldiers all along Third Army's front encountered enemy soldiers who contested every foot of ground and who counterattacked viciously to recover lost positions.

Why did Patton bother with Lorraine at all?

The REASON is that Patton WAS ORDERED to take Lorraine.

Did you catch that?

That's right, Patton and Third Army were ORDERED to attack Metz:

"Eisenhower, the Supreme Allied Commander, made up his mind to destroy as many German forces as possible west of the Rhine. Omar Bradley, Patton's immediate superior as commander of 12th Army Group, concurred. All Allied armies were ordered to press ahead on a broad front.."

Patton and Third Army were ORDERED to attack Metz - the MOST HEAVILY FORTIFIED PLACE IN EUROPE.

It seems in the Lorraine Campaign that the Germans had an unwitting ally - the Allied High Command. What the German armies were incapable of doing - stopping Patton - the Allied High Command did it for them.

Read on:

SITUATION OF THIRD ARMY AT METZ

Shortage of Fuel

Although gasoline was plentiful in Normandy, by August 31, Third Army received NO gasoline at all. With fuel tanks running dry, Patton's spearheads captured Verdun and crossed the Meuse River.

For the next 5 days, Third Army was virtually immobilized.

Why?

Eisenhower granted logistical priority to the British and American armies farther north, leaving Third Army with about one-quarter of its required daily gasoline allotments.

Patton's troops captured some gasoline from the Germans, hijacked some from First Army depots, and received some gasoline by air, but when gasoline receipts finally increased to the point that the advance could be resumed, the opportunity of sweeping through Lorraine unopposed had passed.

Shortage of Supplies

The gasoline shortage was followed by a shortage of ammunition, particularly in the larger artillery calibers that had not been in great demand during the fluid pursuit. By 10 September, Third Army's artillery batteries received only one-third of a unit of fire per day. Other shortages would crop up as the campaign progressed. At one time or another, rations, clothing, mattress covers, coffee, tires, tobacco, antifreeze, winter clothing, and overshoes would all be in critically short supply.

Shortage of Intelligence

Third Army's intelligence sources began to run dry at the same time as its gas tanks. As Third Army approached Lorraine, Ultra provided less and less information of an operational and tactical nature. Free French sources had cooperated actively with Third during the pursuit, but Lorraine, with its partially hostile population and its swelling German garrison, was not a favorable setting for Resistance activities. Military intelligence interpreter teams found fewer knowledgeable natives willing to be interviewed, and the barrier posed by the Moselle River prevented the easy flow of both civilian agents and combat patrols. Moreover, the corps commanders did not receive Ultra at all. Their corps intelligence assets could, at best, see only 15,000 yards behind the enemy's front.

Shortage of Troops

At the same time that the Germans received reinforcements, Patton's Third Army was being trimmed down. In the pursuit across France, Third Army had controlled four far-flung corps, but during September two of those corps were REMOVED from Patton's command.

Just before the Battle of Metz, Patton's Third Army was cut in half.

"For most of the Lorraine campaign, Third Army would consist of two corps, the XX and the XII. Four to six infantry divisions and two or three armored divisions would carry the bulk of the burden for the next 3 months."

Shortage of Air Power

Patton's arsenal for the Lorraine campaign was the XIX Tactical Air Command (TAC), which had cooperated with Third Army throughout the pursuit across France. Fighter-bombers from the XIX TAC flew 12,000 sorties in support of Third Army during August, but in September, TACs efforts would be divided between the Lorraine front and the battles being waged to reduce the German fortresses still holding out along the French coast. As the autumn wore on, XIX TAC would be increasingly frustrated by poor weather.

Therefore, before the Battle for Metz began, Patton lost HALF of his airforce!

Conclusion

Thus, at the outset of the Lorraine campaign, which Patton WAS ORDERED to pursue, Third Army was logistically starved, depleted in strength, and denied the full use of its air assets.

On 10 September, 12th Army Group (Bradley) ORDERED Third Army to advance on a BROAD FRONT and seize crossings over the Rhine River at Mannheim and Mainz.

With all these handicaps, Patton and Third Army were ORDERED to attack Metz - the MOST HEAVILY FORTIFIED PLACE IN EUROPE.

Imagine being a football coach and you are about to play an important game. However, before starting the game, you learn that you will lose half your players, there will be no water for your players that do remain, some of your players will have no helmets, shoulder pads or shoes, and that you will be facing the sun and the wind in every quarter. Further, as coach you MUST play the game.

This is the situation Patton found himself at the end of August, 1944.

< Message edited by Von Rom -- 7/23/2004 4:29:11 PM >

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 563
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/23/2004 6:30:37 PM   
Kevinugly

Don't try and pretend that you lifted that from the site I linked to.

quote:

All of the information contained in this post is from the article Kevinugly posted above.

1) Eisenhower is not mentioned as ordering Patton to take Metz.

2)
quote:

On 10 September, 12th Army Group (Bradley) ORDERED Third Army to advance on a BROAD FRONT and seize crossings over the Rhine River at Mannheim and Mainz

The full text of that section reads as follows:-

"Thus, at the outset of the Lorraine campaign, Third Army was logistically starved, depleted in strength, and denied the full use of its air assets. In spite of this, Patton and his superiors remained convinced that the war could be ended in 1944. On 10 September, 12th Army Group ordered Third Army to advance on a broad front and seize crossings over the Rhine River at Mannheim and Mainz. Patton's forces were already on the move."

Selective editing to try and show that the decision was Bradley's alone.

Seems you are flailing about trying to prove that poor Patton was merely following orders. To do this you will use whatever tactic, no matter how underhand.

I would again recommend interested parties head over to the site I linked to. http://www-cgsc.army.mil/carl/resources/csi/gabel3/gabel3.asp

Note that this is the 'Combined Arms Research Library' of the Command and General Staff College based at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas.

< Message edited by Kevinugly -- 7/23/2004 4:34:53 PM >

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 564
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/23/2004 6:39:20 PM   
Von Rom

quote:

Don't try and pretend that you lifted that from the site I linked to.

quote:

1) Eisenhower is not mentioned as ordering Patton to take Metz.

2)
quote:

On 10 September, 12th Army Group (Bradley) ORDERED Third Army to advance on a BROAD FRONT and seize crossings over the Rhine River at Mannheim and Mainz

The full text of that section reads as follows:-

"Thus, at the outset of the Lorraine campaign, Third Army was logistically starved, depleted in strength, and denied the full use of its air assets. In spite of this, Patton and his superiors remained convinced that the war could be ended in 1944. On 10 September, 12th Army Group ordered Third Army to advance on a broad front and seize crossings over the Rhine River at Mannheim and Mainz. Patton's forces were already on the move."

Selective editing to try and show that the decision was Bradley's alone.

Seems you are flailing about trying to prove that poor Patton was merely following orders, To do this you will use whatever tactic, no matter how underhand.

I beg your pardon?

Sharpen your reading a bit more:

This quote is found near Map 2:

quote:

With so little going for it, why did Patton bother with Lorraine at all? The reason was that Eisenhower, the Supreme Allied Commander, made up his mind to destroy as many German forces as possible west of the Rhine. Omar Bradley, Patton's immediate superior as commander of 12th Army Group, concurred. All Allied armies were ordered to press ahead on a broad front. In late August 1944, with the Lorraine gateway so invitingly open, it was unthinkable to Patton that Third Army should be halted in midstride.

Who do you think was in charge? Ike.

Who was Patton's superior? Bradley.

Ike ordered Bradley to order Patton to attack Metz.

Understand?

quote:

Patton and his superiors remained convinced that the war could be ended in 1944

This again shows your complete lack of understanding about Patton.

Yes, Patton was convinced the war could be won in 1944 - that was BEFORE the Allied High Command stripped Third Army of fuel, men, planes and almost everything else Patton needed to fight at Metz.

The next time you post an article READ it before you use it.

< Message edited by Von Rom -- 7/23/2004 4:41:53 PM >

(in reply to Kevinugly)
Post #: 565
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/23/2004 9:00:24 PM   
Kevinugly

Err, Eisenhower ordered 3rd Army into Lorraine. That cannot be inferred that Ike ordered him to take Metz. Metz could have been bypassed and 'left to wither on the vine'. Find me the order from Ike specifically asking General Patton to take Metz by storm. In any case this is in direct conflict to General Bradley's order to seize Mainz and Mannheim.

Secondly, all the the Allied generals were well aware of the logistics problems, Patton included.

This is from that site, note the date of the order and the fact that 3rd Army was already on the 'move'

A few paragraphs beforehand we have the fact that even before the campaign in Lorraine began, Patton was aware of the logistics problem.

"Thus, it was not surprising that on 28 August, with Patton's spearheads in the vicinity of Reims, Third Army's gasoline allocation fell 100,000 gallons short of requirements; and since all reserves had been burned up in the course of the pursuit, the pace of Patton's advance began to suffer almost at once. The simple truth was that although gasoline was plentiful in Normandy, there was no way to transport it in sufficient quantities to the leading elements. On 31 August, Third Army received no gasoline at all. With fuel tanks running dry, Patton's spearheads captured Verdun and crossed the Meuse River."

Put into proper date order it can be clearly seen Ike ordered 3rd Army into Lorraine as part of his 'broad front' strategy. Bradley ordered Patton to take the Rhine crossings at Mannheim and Mainz. Patton was already moving at this time in full knowledge of the dire logistical situation yet still agreed that this was the correct strategy.

'Nuff Said

< Message edited by Kevinugly -- 7/23/2004 7:02:54 PM >

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 566
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/24/2004 12:22:49 AM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

quote:

quote:

Regards

regards,
IronDuke

Why does it feel like I'm reading a page of gossip from the National Enquirer or watching an episode of Jerry Springer?

I guess when Great Men like Patton, MacArthur, Ike, Kennedy, Caesar and Napoleon dare to do Great Things, they can also make mistakes.

But never fear, there is always an Oswald or a Booth standing nearby to take a shot at them. . .

I have read the accounts of the Hammelburg Incident in D'Este and Blumenson as well as a few other places, and the general consensus is this:

D'Este says that the evidence that Patton knew that Waters was in Hammelburg is circumstantial. In other words, Patton might have known Waters was in the POW camp, but then again, he might not have know.

Blumenson adds that when Waters saw Patton he asked him if he knew he was in the camp, and Patton replied: "I didn't know for sure."

What is known for sure is that a POW camp containing American POWs was in Hammelburg and that Waters might be there. Apparently the POWs in a camp in Poland were moved to Hammelburg. The belief was that Waters might have been in that Polish camp as well. But no one knew if he was even alive.

In Patton's two letters to his wife, he mentions that "he" (Waters) is in the camp. But this may have been Patton being overly optimistic to his wife about rescuing their Son-In-Law. Many men will tend to put on a brave, optimistic face for their wives, if something bad might happen. Also, Patton suffered from Dyslexia, so he may not have written it the way he had intended to.

Even after the incident was over, the only thing Patton regretted was not in sending a larger rescue force as he had originally intended.

As it stood, the rescue force freed 700 Russian POWs, and liberated the POW camp in Hammelburg that was holding 5,000 POWs, including Waters. However, this rescue attempt ultimately failed.

A short time later another rescue party liberated the camp.

The verdict?

Patton maintains he did not know for sure if Waters was in the camp. No one really did. He felt since there were 5,000 POWs there anyway, it was worth liberating. He also felt that it would cause a diversion and draw German forces away from his main thrust of attack.

Personally, I feel it has been made into a big deal for two reasons:

1) Patton's critics can feel all warm and fuzzy inside because they have found a chink in the armour of the Great Patton; and

2) The fact that the original operation failed. If Patton had sent a larger force as he had originally intended, and had it been successful, the whole operation would just be a footnote in history.

Therefore, those who dislike Patton will continue to ring the Bell of Hammelburg, while fair-minded people, when considering Patton's Great Accomplishments, will place this incident in the proper perspective as it should be. . .

Incidently (and it comes as no surprise to me) that Charles Whiting has written a book about this incident called "48 Hours to Hammelburg: Patton's Secret Ghost". No doubt he will be fair and objective about Patton.

quote:

Von Rom

A debating trick. Line it up next to the Straw man Golf identified for us, and the dodging the question we've all witnessed.

quote:

Von Rom

The sad thing is you will never know how the truly great men in your list would feel being lined up for a purpose like this, and being put in some of the company you choose. You list of great men has some notables, but also some figures it is difficult to talk of in the same breath. I see a pattern. Your fervour for Patton is becoming unsettling.

quote:

Von Rom

We both know your description of the consensus isn't the case. You continue to believe you own the only copy of D'Este in the world, and feel free to selectively quote him. I have a copy. For the critical forum reader, I shall relate what D'Este actually says so they can decide for themselves.

quote:

Von Rom
D'Este says that the evidence that Patton knew that Waters was in Hammelburg is circumstantial.

This is strictly true, but the evidence he provides is compelling, which I note you strangely omit. Perhaps Forum readers should be allowed to view this evidence themselves (as presented in D'Este) to decide the matter for themselves.

The raid was launched by Hoge's 4th Armoured. The mission was given to Hoge and Patton's bodyguard, Al Stiller, turned up to join the raid. D'Este notes (AND I QUOTE)

quote:

D'Este: Pg 714.
However, General's aides do not just go along on combat missions. Clearly, Stiller seemed to be there for another purpose.

Hoge, together with his Corp Commander raised concerns with Patton about it. Neither could see the point of this raid. Patton inisisted saying:

quote:

Patton:
I promise I'll replace every man and every vehicle you lose.

Bearing in mind what D'Este thinks the raid was for, this quote does not sit well with Von Rom's continued insistence that Patton put his men first.

Hoge was embarrassed by the pleading tone in Patton's voice (D'Este's adjective not mine). Hoge turned to Stiller (Patton's bodyguard) and D'est says.

quote:

D'Este:
As historian John Toland reveals:"...Stiller explained in a low voice that the 'Old Man' was absolutely determined to free the prisoners at Hammelburg-and revealed that John Waters, Patton's son in law, was one of the prisoners.

So, CCB are ordered to do the mission. The request to use the entire Combat command was Hoge and the task force leader's (Baum's) request. D'Este says nothing at this juncture about Patton specifying the size of the force. The request was turned down by Eddy, the Corp Commander. Patton was Eddy's superior Officer, so quite why Patton wanted to send the entire Combat Command yet wouldn't overrule his Subordinate who was against it escapes me, but never mind.

Task Force Baum is created. 16 tanks, 3 SP 105s, 27 Halftracks, 294 Men.

The main evidence presented by D'Este for Patton knowing about Waters being at the camp is this:

Letter to Beatrice his wife, dated 23/03/1945. Three days before the task force was despatched.

quote:

Patton
We are headed right for John's place and may get there before he is moved if he is moved he had better escape or he will end up in Bavaria.

Second letter to Beatrice dated 27/03/1944. The raid had been despatched, but was reported as missing so Patton had no idea at this stage what they had found at the camp.

quote:

Patton
Last night I sent an armoured column to a place 40 miles east of Frankfurt where John and some 900 POWs are said to be...everyone but me thought it was too great a risk.

This rather places Patton's later plea (that he wanted to send a Combat Command) into perspective. He didn't feel the raid was a risk despite being only of TF size having just despatched it, but all his senior officers did think it was a risk. This is interesting, since the raid was caught by elements of three German divisions on it's way back from Hammelburg, and chopped to pieces. 293 men were listed as MIA. Many were liberated several weeks later, including the Commander. D'Este does not provide a figure for the number killed attempting to rescue Patton's son in law. He however describes "scores of wounded" suggesting there were many deaths. This suggests Patton was not being completely honest after the raid turned into a fiasco.

quote:

Von Rom
In other words, Patton might have known Waters was in the POW camp, but then again, he might not have know.

Forum readers can now decide for themselves.

quote:

The clear implication of which is that Patton suspected (at the very least) that Waters was there. Although in his private correspondence he seemed much surer, and in public, denied it.

As D'Este says

quote:

D'Este
Those involved in the raid, Hoge, Baum, Stiller and Creighton Abrams, were convinced that Patton had mounted Hammelburg to save his son in law. All, however, chose to remain silent in deference to Patton.
Not until 1967, when he was himself a four star General did Abrams write that Stiller had admitted he made the trip "only because General Patton's son in law, Colonel Waters, was in the prison camp."

The Leader of the Task Force, the Commander of the Combat Command it belonged to, The Commander of the Division the Combat Command belonged to and Patton's Bodyguard knew who was there. You say Patton might not have done.

quote:

Von Rom

I have been accused of twisting facts to suit my argument. Here, you suggest (D'Este doesn't enter the realm of fantasy about why Patton was telling his wife this) that Patton was somehow being overly optimistic. Why raise his wife's hopes unless he knew John Waters was these? Of all the POW camps in Germany, he tells his wife (you say without knowing) that Waters is in the camp. You're suggesting he deliberately raised her hopes by mentioning John despite the fact that

quote:

Von Rom
But no one knew if he was even alive

Your remarks about his dyslexia defy belief. I believe Patton's condition is something else we can add to the list of things you know little about. D'Este (who would have read every word Patton wrote) writes:

quote:

D'Este
Patton's dyslexia generated a lifelong writing problem manifested by mis-spelled words, and the frequent omission of punctuation and capitalisation.

In an attempt to rubbish this evidence, you're suggesting you know better and it could actually manifest itself by making him write things so as to give the wrong meaning. I felt:

quote:

Patton
We are headed right for John's place

looks fairly easy to understand. Trying to use his dyslexia in this manner does you no credit.

quote:

Von Rom

As his letters illustrate, he wasn't too concerned about the size of the force when it was despatched. He was the only one who felt it had a chance.

As for whose fault it was, D'Este makes several comments (not quotes from others, these are his own words.)

quote:

D'Este
The only certainty in the entire tragic affair is that Bradley would have forbidden Patton to undertake the Hammelburg raid if he had known of it in advance.

He goes on:

quote:

D'Este
Patton attempted to put a brave face on an unjiustifiable act.

Further

quote:

D'Este
Patton perpetuated the fiction of Hammelburg at a press conference, in which he baldly deceived the correspondents by waiving his personal and official diairies in the air and claiming he had known nothing of Water's presence in Hammelburg until 9 days after the raid.

These are the diaries you maintain are invaluable because they are unaltered, reveal Patton's true thoughts and come down to us as evidence not designed to be read by others, so not likely to be doctored.

Regarding Patton's claim he had not been allowed to send enough men, D'Este says:

quote:

D'Este
Patton later blamed Bradley. He also blaimed Eddy and Hoge. In fact he blaimed everyone but himself.

Later he comments on Patton's version of events in War as I knew it.

quote:

D'Este
This version is as self serving as his earlier complaint that Bradley had denied him the necessary force to mount the raid.

The last words are again Colonel D'Este's.

quote:

D'Este
His denials notwithstanding, the raid not only branded Patton a liar but tarnished the very fabric on which his fame lasted-that his troops came first, and everything possible must be done to insure their survival. Instead, he had sent 307 men on a mission whose implicit purpose was the rescue of his own son-in-law.

All bar one of these men were (at best) captured, or at worst, injured or killed. These men belonged to the US Army, not to Patton. He commanded them, but they were not his property. I can not think of another event during WWII quite like this (anyone any suggestions?)

Critical readers of this thread can now decide for themselves why Hammlelburg was launched, whose fault it was, and whether being upset about it (as his critics are) is fair and "putting it into perspective."

Regards,
IronDuke

< Message edited by IronDuke -- 7/23/2004 10:39:00 PM >

(in reply to Kevinugly)
Post #: 567
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/24/2004 12:32:03 AM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: warhead2

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Regards,
IronDuke

Yes, yes, all brilliant.

Cheers!

Ohhhh, yes it's quite shocking, isn't it. . .

When people can fault Patton for victories against supposedly inferior forces, then I can compare and find fault of early German Blitzkrieg victories against inferior forces.

Did you catch that?

Or am I being too simple for you?

I think you are indeed being too simplistic for him. I think Warhead2's point is that the German method of warfare and their campaigns are far more complicated and technical than your post suggests. My apologies to Warhead2 is I have misread his point (welcome to the fun, Warhead2.)

Can I ask:

Why do you keep saying "Next came Belgium, next came Denmark" etc. Are you aware the Germans actually attacked Holland, Belgium, France etc at the same time. They didn't bully one after the other, but attacked them all simultaneously.

Also, why in these quotes is the word "surprise" used as a criticism, yet when Patton achieved operational surprise in the Ardenne or during the breakout, it is somehow a mark of genius? Is German surprise a different type of surprise to American surprise? Was Patton's surprises somewhat more surprising and deserving of praise than the German's surprises?

IronDuke

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 568
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/24/2004 1:57:31 AM   
Von Rom

quote:

Err, Eisenhower ordered 3rd Army into Lorraine. That cannot be inferred that Ike ordered him to take Metz. Metz could have been bypassed and 'left to wither on the vine'. Find me the order from Ike specifically asking General Patton to take Metz by storm. In any case this is in direct conflict to General Bradley's order to seize Mainz and Mannheim.

Secondly, all the the Allied generals were well aware of the logistics problems, Patton included.

This is from that site, note the date of the order and the fact that 3rd Army was already on the 'move'

A few paragraphs beforehand we have the fact that even before the campaign in Lorraine began, Patton was aware of the logistics problem.

"Thus, it was not surprising that on 28 August, with Patton's spearheads in the vicinity of Reims, Third Army's gasoline allocation fell 100,000 gallons short of requirements; and since all reserves had been burned up in the course of the pursuit, the pace of Patton's advance began to suffer almost at once. The simple truth was that although gasoline was plentiful in Normandy, there was no way to transport it in sufficient quantities to the leading elements. On 31 August, Third Army received no gasoline at all. With fuel tanks running dry, Patton's spearheads captured Verdun and crossed the Meuse River."

Put into proper date order it can be clearly seen Ike ordered 3rd Army into Lorraine as part of his 'broad front' strategy. Bradley ordered Patton to take the Rhine crossings at Mannheim and Mainz. Patton was already moving at this time in full knowledge of the dire logistical situation yet still agreed that this was the correct strategy.

'Nuff Said

What? No apology for accussing me of fabricating that Ike quote?

quote:

This is the type of nonsensical argument that is given for argument's sake, and reflects the unending twisting of logic and common sense that has permeated this entire thread.

Eisenhower replaced Montgmery as the Allied ground forces commander and adopted a "broad front" strategy, which had the Allies advancing slowly, steady and always as a continuous mass, with forward units never out of touch with their companions to left or right. It was the safe approach, and typical of Eisenhower's minimum-risk attitude to warfare.

This approach meant that the Allied armies each had their "zones" or regions for which they had responsibility. Patton's Third Army was to attack along the "Moselle River Front". The broad front strategy also meant Patton had to spread out his forces along his entire front.

Ike said that Patton would have forty-eight hours,"to become so heavily involved I might reconsider". Reconsider what? If Patton attacked with vigor, then Ike would re-consider giving Third Army more supplies (D'Este, p. 661).

In addition, this broad front strategy also allowed the Germans to keep their line, to regroup and reinforce, and to maintain morale. Not until the very last weeks of the war did their front collapse, and individual units begin to surrender freely.

You may not be aware of this but the entire Maginot Line runs in a continuous front from the Swiss border to the Belgium border.

Also, Patton's Third Army was still desperately short of fuel, so that any type of maneuver of this type was simply out of the question. Any type of maneuver would also have struck against fortifications.

Look at a map - the route chosen to seizing Mainz and Mannheim, is eactly the shortest, historic route to the Rhine. And it is also the region given to Patton's Third Army for its advance. In advancig to the Rhine, thought also has to be given to roads, etc Where do you think most of the road networks are located? Metz.

In addition the terrible rains that fell that fall meant that Patton had to confine his armour and trucks to the roads, or be hopelessly bogged down in muddy fields.

Again, because of shortages of fuel, Patton could not maneuver or move his forces beyond the axis of his present advance.

quote:

Here again you are twisting Patton's motives and plans for 1944.

The author of that paper interjected that sentence of Patton's and his superior's in-between the first and last sentence. The author has taken Patton's thinking completely out of context.

Patton was firmly convinced that he could have ended the war in 1944, had he been given the supplies to drive to the Rhineland. Many other historians, including Liddel Hart agree.

This ended when he was deprived of supplies at the end of August.

His forces were "on the move" because Patton ordered his forces to keep moving until they ran out of gas.

quote:

You, yourself state Ike ordered 3rd army into Lorraine.

Then you say Bradley ordered Patton to take the Rhine crossings at Mannheim and Mainz. Again, look at a map and do some reading. Do you really think this article you posted contains all the info about the Lorraine Campaign and places every word in logical sequence to events?

Patton had NO choice. It WAS the correct strategy. The only problem was he was about to run out of fuel and supples (he was given some fuel in early Sept - but it would only last a few days).

Therefore, because of the lack of supplies and the delay this caused, Patton could NOT advance into Metz and drive to the Rhineland, and thus not be able to end the war in 1944. Instead, he was forced to attack across the Mosselle. Without proper fuel and supplies he could not maneuver.

Add to all of this the terrible rains that descended throughout the three months Patton was in Lorraine dictated that his armoured forces had to stick to the roads, otherwise, his forces would become hopelessly bogged down in the mud.

< Message edited by Von Rom -- 7/24/2004 12:13:17 AM >

(in reply to Kevinugly)
Post #: 569
RE: Why was Patton so great? - 7/24/2004 2:09:14 AM   
Von Rom

Anyway, after reading and answering some of the non-stop nonsense over the past few days, I will no longer be participating in this thread.

Nothing is going to be gained.

I just wanted to post that last reply to Kevinugly, and now I am outta here.

I am leaving, not because anyone has "won"; rather, it has now become a complete waste of my time.

It is summertime, the weather here is beautiful, and I'm going to enjoy myself. . .

I would urge anyone who is interested to learn more about Patton to go to your library and read some good books about him. Don't take anyone's word for it in this thread, which has been dominated by a few individuals who are determined (against much of the evidence) to destroy Patton's Great memory.

I take full responsibility for not defending Patton to the fullest extent and with all the knowledge and books I have with me. But when you have 4 or 5 individuals continually pitted against you, it becomes very, very tiring trying to answer dozens of posts day after day.

Instead I opted to post a few articles in the hopes that people would be able to read about Patton for themselves.

I now leave this thread to those few who remain, so that they can squabble among themselves over "how many angels it really does take to sit on the head of a pin".

< Message edited by Von Rom -- 7/24/2004 12:25:18 AM >

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 570
Page:   <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Why was Patton so great? Page: <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI