Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Wolfpack Tactic

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Wolfpack Tactic Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Wolfpack Tactic - 7/24/2004 4:54:53 AM   
irishman

Wolfpack

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sure that this has been asked before but please indulge me. I'm a recent convert from UV. In WITP, with the bigger scale, are wolfpack tactics punished? In UV it was very inadvisable to have more than one sub in a hex but I've noticed that in WITP scenarios there are many hexes with multiple subs in them. Are there penalties for this? It would appear to me that at 60 mile/hex multiple subs should be OK. Anybody?

The greater the difficulty, the greater the glory - Cicero

Post #: 1
RE: Wolfpack Tactic - 7/24/2004 5:02:29 AM   
rogueusmc

It has to do with detection factors...the more subs in a hex, the higher the detection rating.

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

(in reply to irishman)
Post #: 2
RE: Wolfpack Tactic - 7/24/2004 5:17:48 AM   
irishman

But without knowing the exact number used in the equation, at what point does the concentration of force become self defeating? Clearly there are certain choke points and various base hexes that are vital but how may many subs can you place there before the law of diminishing returns starts to take hold?

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 3
RE: Wolfpack Tactic - 7/24/2004 5:22:48 AM   
rogueusmc

I guess how I work it is the way I would if it were a real sub with real men on board. It torps a ship once, it broadcasts it's position...I move them. Same with the multi sub hex thing, it raises their detection value. The higher the detection value, the higher chance it's gonna get DC'd.

I play as if those are real guys that wanna go home to momma, and if they don't go home, I have to write the letters.

< Message edited by rogueusmc -- 7/23/2004 9:24:25 PM >

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

(in reply to irishman)
Post #: 4
RE: Wolfpack Tactic - 7/24/2004 5:39:22 AM   
irishman

Sorry to keep banging on about this but I'm about to start a PBEM game (thus the issue is vitally important!). The question is this - in a 60 mile hex, 2 subs could exist independently without a problem but 20 subs clearly would raise an alarm. How many subs should you have in a single hex to get the best return?

Together in Guinness!

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Wolfpack Tactic Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI