Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The 100 Days

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> The 100 Days Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The 100 Days - 7/24/2004 10:34:11 PM   
ktotwf

Is there any oppurtunity at all to see a 100 Days or Waterloo-like battle in an Empires in Arms game? I haven't played the game at all, so I wouldn't know.
Post #: 1
RE: The 100 Days - 7/25/2004 12:10:37 AM   
Wellington12347

You could certainly have a sequence of manuevers and 2-3 battles over a course of 3-4 turns (months) in the game. However, many of the details of the Waterloo Campaign would be abstracted and not visible or controllable by the players. There is no scenario that replays these events.

(in reply to ktotwf)
Post #: 2
RE: The 100 Days - 7/25/2004 12:31:00 AM   
ktotwf

No, I mean, is there a chance to have Napoleon exiled, and return to power? Or is that not doable with the game?

(in reply to ktotwf)
Post #: 3
RE: The 100 Days - 7/25/2004 2:34:05 AM   
Mark Breed

In the boardgame, EXILE is an Unconditional Surrender Terms of Peace condition, which the winning nation can impose on any leader of the losing nation. In order for the exiled leader to return to the game, the nation must expend Political Points, which translate into lost victory points.

Don't know if this has been carried over into the computer version.

Regards,
Mark

(in reply to ktotwf)
Post #: 4
RE: The 100 Days - 7/25/2004 2:54:28 AM   
strategy

There exists a Waterloo scenario for Empires in Arms; it was published in The General 26-6:

Napoleon's Last Chance,Scenario,27,A Waterloo Scenario for Empires in Arms,John Sakelaris

Could perhaps be useful as a tutorial scenario for the combat system? It spanned only one or two turns, IIRC.

Regards,

Michael A.

Michael Akinde / Strategy
Imperium - Rise of Rome (http://www.fenrir.dk/imperium/)

(in reply to Mark Breed)
Post #: 5
RE: The 100 Days - 7/25/2004 3:24:38 AM   
ktotwf

What I would really love to see is an 1813 scenario.

(in reply to strategy)
Post #: 6
RE: The 100 Days - 7/25/2004 8:33:54 AM   
Hoche

quote:

ORIGINAL: ktotwf

What I would really love to see is an 1813 scenario.

The board game has one.

It is a general popular error to suppose the loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for its welfare.
-Edmund Burke

(in reply to ktotwf)
Post #: 7
RE: The 100 Days - 7/25/2004 9:23:05 AM   
Forward_March

The best game for 1813 I ever played was called Struggle of Nations. It was another Avalon Hill game. It would be great on a computer. Better on a PC than a board game, because the math had to be worked out every turn to see how many men you'd lost to attrition. Of course, while the French army bleeds to death if overmarched, the Allies don't seem to have any trouble.

...it was a game for the truly anal-retentive.

(in reply to Hoche)
Post #: 8
RE: The 100 Days - 7/25/2004 5:32:47 PM   
ktotwf

Yeah, Leipzig has always been my favorite Napoleonic battle. It was almost a World War sized battle. Though, it doesn't get as much attention as Waterloo, or Wagram, or Austerlitz, or even Borodino for some reason. The biggest, most important battle Napoleon ever fought, you would think there would be more books and games about it.

But then again, there wasn't too much strategy in the battle. The Allies just used huge numbers to wear the French down until Napoleon's position became untenable.

I would love the chance to fight the battle again on computer.

< Message edited by ktotwf -- 7/25/2004 3:37:41 PM >

(in reply to Forward_March)
Post #: 9
RE: The 100 Days - 7/26/2004 8:48:45 PM   
Camile Desmoulins

Empires is other kind of game. You like tactical games, and there are many games for play as you want: Battleground Series, NBS, Sid Meiers', etc. EiA is an strategic game, with an important weight in diplomacy. HBattles as Leipzig are important, but is only one more into a Campaign. I've played in EiA an allied Russian Invassion: Prussia, Turkey, Austria, great Britain and Sweden against Russia. It was five or six battles as Leipzig or Borodino, because in this game neither were decissive victories (or defeats)

I think that in EiA it´s more important to be Metternich or Talleyrand than Charles or Blücher.

"Scis vincere, nescis uti victoria" (Maharbal)

(in reply to ktotwf)
Post #: 10
RE: The 100 Days - 7/26/2004 9:08:10 PM   
ktotwf

No, I like Strategic games way better than tactical games. I find tactical details too hard to keep in my head. My tactical rating in EiA would be a
-5 no doubt.

I don't mean a Sid Meier wargaming type of Battle Of Leipzig, but a "Ok, you're Napoleon, how do you handle the campaign as a whole" type of thing.

(in reply to Camile Desmoulins)
Post #: 11
RE: The 100 Days - 7/26/2004 10:38:41 PM   
Wellington12347

I would hope that the game does have the feature of returning leaders for political points since I believe it is integral.

This brings up another important point about the accuring victory points. As you move lower on the politcal-point display the incremental loss of victory points become less. Also, the automatic political status adjustment (up if you are down, down if you are up) increaes as you move away from the status quo. This has the effect of not only moving countries toward the status quo but doing so faster the further you move from the status quo. Thus a defeated nation that is already pushed into the nether reigions of the political status display will often find it advantangeous to incur the political point loss and bring back and good leader that was removed as a peace condition just a turn or two before.

(in reply to ktotwf)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> The 100 Days Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI