Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Scrolling Message Box

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Scrolling Message Box Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Scrolling Message Box - 6/6/2000 11:16:00 AM   
xopher

After you end your turn, while the computer is doing it's thing, the side bar to the right is pretty much empty. It would be excellent to see a scrolling text box that shows exactly the messages that appear on the screen. As the box fills, the oldest message could all off the bottom. That would be VERY cool, IMO.

Post #: 1
- 6/6/2000 7:58:00 PM   
Charles22

Great idea xopher, then we can speed up the fire messages, and still see generally what was going on.

(in reply to xopher)
Post #: 2
- 6/6/2000 9:58:00 PM   
xopher

quote:

Originally posted by Charles22: Great idea xopher, then we can speed up the fire messages, and still see generally what was going on.
Exactly!

(in reply to xopher)
Post #: 3
- 6/6/2000 10:55:00 PM   
Paul Vebber

Unfortunately it can't be done the way the game is currently set up, without a lot of work. Remember this is still a DOS interface that has been shoved into a windows sack, a windows based interface is just not going to be done at this stage.

(in reply to xopher)
Post #: 4
- 6/7/2000 12:10:00 AM   
Charles22

Perhaps an alternative would be to put all messages for the last turn dumped into a file, and though it wouldn't be as effective as the one which was described, could still have some use. If nothing else, I do enjoy reading some of those messages, particularly the ones that say the crew was 'stunned'. BTW, when they're stunned, is that just a cute message, and if not, just what does it really do; add a higher suppression level than a normal AT hit would?

(in reply to xopher)
Post #: 5
- 6/7/2000 1:44:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

A believe a stunned crew gets ~ +20 suppression and loses all its remaining shots.

(in reply to xopher)
Post #: 6
- 6/7/2000 5:06:00 AM   
Desert Fox

quote:

Originally posted by Paul Vebber: A believe a stunned crew gets ~ +20 suppression and loses all its remaining shots.
Are you sure about that? I have had an instance or two of a crew being stunned by one hit, then on the next hit they return fire(same firing unit, same turn, etc.).

(in reply to xopher)
Post #: 7
- 6/7/2000 9:38:00 AM   
xopher

quote:

Originally posted by Paul Vebber: Unfortunately it can't be done the way the game is currently set up, without a lot of work. Remember this is still a DOS interface that has been shoved into a windows sack, a windows based interface is just not going to be done at this stage.
Not a Windows based interface --- just a 'box' like you already have on the bottom of the screen, where the unit info displays, except on the sidebar where the buttons normally display. You are already displaying text there while the computer is taking it's turn. But, I realize interface changes are a big issue. And, you have already done wonders with the code. Maybe you can put that on your WAW 2.0 list

(in reply to xopher)
Post #: 8
- 6/7/2000 10:39:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

Ok, you got me, its only the +20 suppression, but will often mean losing your shots...but not always!

(in reply to xopher)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Scrolling Message Box Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI