Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Scoring System

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Scoring System Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Scoring System - 1/21/2002 11:43:00 PM   
James P

One question - is anyone considering revising the scoring system? I guess not based on recent comments that version 7.0 / 7.1 will be the final mod's before effort is transferred onto other projects….. I ask because, barring disaster about 75% of my PBEM games end as draws. I'm also currently playing Wild Bill's excellent Huertgen Forest Campaign vs the AI, and two out of the 4 scenarios played I have outscored the AI by 10,000 points and still drawn

Cheers, JP
Post #: 1
- 1/22/2002 12:30:00 AM   
Kanon Fodder

I agree. Pretty much anything I have tried ( well, maybe excluding the "Tiger Tutorials" ) ends in a draw. Some of which I don't deserve ...

(in reply to James P)
Post #: 2
- 1/22/2002 12:50:00 PM   
Krec

The way i look at it , who ever has the most points wins. Thats just my personal feeling. I just finished a scenario the other day, i was outpointed by 385. Game said draw , i say i lost........and congratulated my opponent. Especially in those 10k plus battles, always end in draw due to enormous amount one needs to out point your foe. just try to out point the other guy, great challenge , then every loss counts. thats just the way i do it!!

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country." Patton

(in reply to James P)
Post #: 3
- 1/22/2002 2:15:00 PM   
Redleg

I second the "most points wins" notion. Getting hung up on this Marginal and Decisive stuff really detracts from the game.

(in reply to James P)
Post #: 4
- 1/22/2002 2:56:00 PM   
Raptor

Hi Guys, I've had similar problems with the scoring system. First battle of the preparing the way campaign. Absolutely thrashed the opposition, held all the objectives. last AI turn it moves an infantry squad onto the last hex (which I had a sherman sitting on) and took it back.
Result, a loss. ????

Nucleus Situm Ex Orbita
Unus Certis Maximus

(in reply to James P)
Post #: 5
- 1/22/2002 4:27:00 PM   
v. Manstein

oh yes, i have those scoring-problems too, very often.
i ask me why? in steel-panthers 1-3 we didn`t had
those problems, i think.
don` t get me wrong, this game is the best
steel-panthers ever, i love it. v.Manstein.

(in reply to James P)
Post #: 6
- 1/22/2002 5:06:00 PM   
gnoccop

my 2 eurocents. I think that more points=victory in PBEM battles is the solution Against AI the "draw, marginal (3 times AI points), decisive victory (>6 times AI points)" is the solution for a interesting challenge, especially in random battles and campaigns.

"Violence is the last resource of incompetents". (I. Asimov)

(in reply to James P)
Post #: 7
- 1/22/2002 5:06:00 PM   
FNG

quote:

Originally posted by Redleg:
I second the "most points wins" notion. Getting hung up on this Marginal and Decisive stuff really detracts from the game.

I like the differentiation between marginal & decisive victories, but I think that the marginal ratio needs to be adjusted downward to 3:1. 5:1 is a really tough target to scrape a victory.

FNG
Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt.

(in reply to James P)
Post #: 8
- 1/22/2002 6:29:00 PM   
Tortfeasor

I have comented the scoring system at http://www.matrixgames.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=008155
Would it be beter to use this system?
It should be easy to program it, not for me but for some of you boys.?? at least fore testing.

My opinion might have been changed, but not the fact that I am correct.

(in reply to James P)
Post #: 9
- 1/22/2002 7:19:00 PM   
Antonius

For PBEM games I consider whoever has most points wins, a "marginal" victory is quite an achievement and a "decisive" victory is a stunning accomplishment
Anyway what the game says is less important than what whatever scoring system is used for the ladder of your gaming club. I would however welcome a change in the campaigns, where a draw is worth as much as a defeat. That would spare me the burden of keeping a manual record ...

Wargamo, ergo sum

(in reply to James P)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Scoring System Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI