Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Aircraft Types

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Aircraft Types Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Aircraft Types - 7/27/2004 3:24:34 AM   
Ron Saueracker

Yeah, great job.

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 31
RE: Royal Navy Flying Boat Squadrons - 7/27/2004 3:28:06 AM   
Don Bowen

quote:

ORIGINAL: McNaughton

I did some research into the Royal Navy, and it appears by 1941 only one FAA squadron dealt with onboard flying boats. The 700 Squadron.

S1/700 Squadron equipped with 2x 248 : Walrus, on board the 3168 Prince of Wales
S2/700 Squadron equipped with 2x 248 : Walrus, on board the 3174 Warspite
S3/700 Squadron equipped with 2x 248 : Walrus, on board the 3175 Valiant
S4/700 Squadron equipped with 1x 248 : Walrus, on board the 3180 Resolution
S5/700 Squadron equipped with 2x 248 : Walrus, on board the 3181 Repulse
S6/700 Squadron equipped with 1x 248 : Walrus, on board the 3215 Dorsetshire
S7/700 Squadron equipped with 3x 248 : Walrus, on board the 3218 Devonshire
S8/700 Squadron equipped with 3x 248 : Walrus, on board the 3221 Cornwall
S9/700 Squadron equipped with 2x 248 : Walrus, on board the 3222 Exeter
S10/700 Squadron equipped with 1x 248 : Walrus, on board the 3229 Leander
S11/700 Squadron equipped with 1x 248 : Walrus, on board the 3230 Achilles
S12/700 Squadron equipped with 1x 248 : Walrus, on board the 3238 Enterprise
S13/700 Squadron equipped with 1x 248 : Walrus, on board the 3239 Emerald
S14/700 Squadron equipped with 2x 248 : Walrus, on board the 3249 Maritius
S15/700 Squadron equipped with 3x 248 : Walrus, on board the 3255 Birmingham
S16/700 Squadron equipped with 3x 248 : Walrus, on board the 3256 Glasgow
S17/700 Squadron equipped with 3x 248 : Walrus, on board the 3257 Newcastle
S4/9 Squadron RAAF equipped with 1x 110 : SOC-1 Seagull, on board the 3235 Perth
S5/9 Squadron RAAF equipped with 1x 110 : SOC-1 Seagull, on board the 3236 Hobart

The Australian Naval Floatplane was the Seagull V - an all metal version of the Walrus. Same name as the SOC-1 but essentially a Walrus. As I recall, the Walrus was actually based on the Seagull V.

Don

(in reply to McNaughton)
Post #: 32
RE: Land Units - 7/27/2004 3:59:22 AM   
Don Bowen

quote:

Here are some things I have found...

(smipped)

The 3rd NZ Division was the 8th and 14th Brigade, and was never at full strength. Currently, the game has not only a full strength 3rd NZ Division, but also an 8th Brigade. That means the New Zealand Pacific force is an entire two brigades of Infantry overstrength.

There was also the Fijian Infantry Brigade (originally named the Fiji Defense Force). It was at Fiji with the 8th NZ at the beginning of the war (represented by the 108 "light" squads in the 8th in the Scenario 15 OOB). It stayed on Fiji when the 8th left (replaced by American Troops) and some Fiji units subsequently served in the Solomons.

I agree that the 3rd NZ Division should be removed but it should be replaced by the Fijian Brigade (or 1st Fiji). I'm also looking into the 5th NZ Nrigade - I believe this unit served in the Middle East with the 2nd NZ Division, not in the Pacific. There was also the 16th NZ Brigade, formed from a mixture of NZ Territorial Troops and Tongans, used in the defense of rear area bases (Tonga, Norfolk Island, others??). This is probably represented in the multitude of Base Forces.

Don

(in reply to McNaughton)
Post #: 33
RE: Land Units - 7/27/2004 4:54:18 AM   
McNaughton

No, I haven't got aircraft tops for these yet, but am planning on modifying existing ones for their use.

Re: Seagulls

I guess the reason I put them on board was because other Australian cruisers had them on board. In light of the Seagull-Walrus thing, maybe all Australian patrol aircraft should be Walrus?

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 34
RE: Land Units - 7/27/2004 5:01:31 AM   
Don Bowen

quote:

No, I haven't got aircraft tops for these yet, but am planning on modifying existing ones for their use.

Looking forward to them - the sides are excellent!

Re: Seagulls

I guess the reason I put them on board was because other Australian cruisers had them on board. In light of the Seagull-Walrus thing, maybe all Australian patrol aircraft should be Walrus?

I think they should. See: http://www.adf-serials.com/2a2.shtml

(in reply to McNaughton)
Post #: 35
RE: OOB Comments - 7/27/2004 7:36:13 AM   
Admiral Chaos2

Japanese HQ's. The Combined Fleet is attached to the Southern Area Army. The Combined Fleet should be attached to the Imperial General Headquarters, which does not exist, unless it is the Home Defense HQ. None of the fleet HQ's are attached to the Combined Fleet.

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 36
RE: OOB Comments - 7/27/2004 3:58:17 PM   
Andy Mac

Shouldnt 7th Armoured Bde be withdrawn at some stage ?

(in reply to Admiral Chaos2)
Post #: 37
RE: OOB Comments - 7/27/2004 4:29:38 PM   
Splinterhead

No. 5 RNZAF should start with 4 Singapores (not Hudsons) and upgrade to PBYs in Scenario 15.

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 38
Americal Division - 7/27/2004 6:43:35 PM   
DrewMatrix

Similar to what people have been saying about the 2nd Marine Div, I think the Americal Division is "arriving too soon." It is present, as a complete division Feb 7, 1942 (in the West Coast US).

In the histories I find (http://www.americal.org/ambook.shtml and http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/OOB/Americal-Division.html for example) the Americal has only a portion of its infantry and lacks divisional artillery at that time. Other units arrive April 19 (Arrive in New Caledonia so they are in the West Coast US maybe last week of March) and the unit becomes a division (as opposed to a bunch of regiments and artillery batteries) May 1942.

Is it even possible to start units like the Americal and 2nd Marines as Divided units (Americal/A arriving, then /B then /C)? Or maybe have these units arrive very short of their TOE so it takes time for them to get to full strength.

Beezle - Rapidly running out of altitude, airspeed and ideas.

(in reply to Splinterhead)
Post #: 39
RE: Americal Division - 7/27/2004 8:02:56 PM   
Bulldog61

The Americal Arrived in independent regiments and was formed on New Caledonia. As things stand the there is no way to start a unit broken down. You could show it with seperate regiments and the HQ similar to UV but the db would need to be expanded. Perhaps having it arrive at about 1/2 strength is the best compromise.

You can run but you'll die tired!

(in reply to DrewMatrix)
Post #: 40
RE: OOB Comments - 7/27/2004 8:45:02 PM   
Montbrun

I hope this clears up some of the discussions involving the 3rd NZ Division. Discussions to include the Fiji Brigade were also nixed by Halsey. The following are excerpts from "The Official History of New Zealand in the Second World War 1939–1945 - Documents Relating to New Zealand's Participation in the Second World War 1939–45: Volume III."

Major-General Barrowclough to Admiral Halsey

2 August 1943

Reference COMSOPAC signal of 26 July [No. 381].

I report that 3rd NZ Division is suitably equipped and trained for the proposed operations in the Solomons subject to the following conditions. First, that ammunition on the agreed scale is shipped to Guadalcanal so as to arrive not later than the date of arrival of the first Brigade Group. Second, that units of this Force still in New Zealand, viz. Tank Squadron, 26 Field Company, and 24 Field Ambulance and other small detachments are shipped from New Zealand. The fulfilment of these conditions is the United States' concern, not mine. I see no objection to commencing the movement as planned provided my troops are not left in Guadalcanal without ammunition.(1)

(1)The Division arrived in Guadalcanal in three echelons, on 27 August, 3 September and 14 September respectively.

Letter from Colonel C. W. Salmon, New Zealand Chiefs of Staff Representative, to Admiral Halsey

20 August 1943

MY DEAR ADMIRAL,
The Hon. W. Perry has asked me to ensure that your notes of his conference with you make it clear regarding the New Zealand manpower as it affects the present campaigns. For your present campaigns New Zealand has made provision for 2000 reinforcements to meet the requirements of the 3rd New Zealand Division, which is at present constituted in two brigades, plus tank squadron, ancillary and base units. This means that the New Zealand Army Force, including reinforcements, will total 17,831.
In view of New Zealand's Air Force and other manpower commitments no further provision can be made at present without altering such commitments.

Yours truly,

(Sgd) C. W. SALMON,
Colonel,
NEW ZEALAND CHIEFS OF STAFF REPRESENTATIVE

Colonel Dove(1) to Lieutenant-General Puttick

18 September 1943

Have returned to New Caledonia.(2) General Harmon authorises me to inform you that Advanced Divisional Headquarters and 14th Brigade Group landed on Vella Lavella in the morning of 18 September without incident. The convoy of twenty ships consisting of LSTs, APDs and LCIs(3) was not subjected to any bombing attack whilst en route, which he considers due to the heavy fighter cover provided and also to the incessant attacks over the past few days on aerodromes on Bougainville. General Barrowclough has been appointed COMGEN4 Vella Lavella.

(1) Brig W. W. Dove, CBE, MC, Legion of Merit (US); Officer i/c Administration and Base Commandant, 2 NZEF IP, 1942–44.

(2) A signal on 14 September (not published) advised that General Barrowclough was leaving ‘permanently’ for Vella Lavella on the 17th and that Colonel Dove was going to Guadalcanal, returning to New Caledonia about the 18th.

(3) Landing Ships, Tanks; Assault Personnel, Destroyers; Landing Craft, Infantry.

(4) Commanding General.

Memorandum from Major-General Barrowclough to Army Headquarters (Wellington)

20 September 1943

3 NZ DIVISION

1. I arrived in Vella Lavella at 2230 hours on 17 September. The convoy bringing two Battalion Combat Teams of 14 Brigade arrived next morning and started disembarking at 0700 hours on the 18th. The convoy included a number of small craft carrying American personnel and equipment and was the largest convoy to have approached the Island since operations first began here. We were all somewhat apprehensive about the possibility of enemy air intervention during the unloading operations, especially as the narrowness and paucity of beaches necessitated a very considerable concentration of stores and equipment and personnel to handle it. There were a number of LSTs in the convoy and they were particularly obvious targets from the air as they lay on the beaches. Fortunately we do not appear to have been discovered until about 1215 hours on the 18th when a small enemy force came over the Island of Vella Lavella. It was engaged by our fighters and our anti-aircraft guns, including the newly landed Bofors which were brought by the two Combat Teams of 14 Brigade. The Bofors went into action with commendable promptitude and the enemy attack failed to cause any damage or casualties anywhere. All landing craft were unloaded with despatch, the troops making an excellent job of the long business of unloading the LSTs. All landing craft got away from the beaches early in the afternoon and it was a great relief to realise that our disembarkation had been carried out without mishap.

2. A portion of Divisional Headquarters and Divisional Troops(1) came up with the convoy and at 2400 hours on the 18th I assumed command of the Island. My own staff was inadequate in numbers to relieve completely the existing Island staff and a number of their officers have been retained in the meantime until HQ 3 NZ Division have got completely into the picture.

(1)The abbreviations in the original text have been spelt in full.

3. The Island Command HQ is situated in a locality which was no doubt appropriate in the early stages but it is now in a totally unsuitable position. I propose to move it to an area in the vicinity of Gill's Plantation as soon as the necessary communications by road and signal have been completed. This will involve at least a fortnight and possibly three weeks as we are extremely short of the necessary road-making equipment.

4. At the present time the forces on this Island comprise:
(a) An American Infantry Regimental Combat Team plus one Battalion.
(b) The 14th NZ Brigade Group less one Battalion Group which is expected to arrive on 24 September.
(c) A Construction Battalion charged with the construction of an airfield which is well under way.
(d) A Defence Regiment comprising heavy anti-aircraft guns, light anti-aircraft guns, heavy coast defence guns and a number of heavy machine guns for coast defence.
(e) Miscellaneous Navy personnel and a pool of landing craft of various natures.
(f) A detachment of Fijian Scouts which I am relieving and hope to get permission to send back to Guadalcanal to rejoin the rest of their unit as they have done very good work and are now rather tired.

5. A considerable number of additional troops of the First Marine Amphibious Corps will arrive in various echelons at periodic intervals and they will be concerned mainly with the preparation of a Base for 1 MAC and the ‘set-up’ of this Island will rapidly become a very extensive one. 3 NZ Division HQ is going to be hard-pressed to exercise the functions of Island Command as well as the command of the Division. I could not very well refuse to accept the commission but I am taking steps as early as possible to have a proper Island Command constituted as I want to keep myself and my staff unhampered by matters outside the tactical and administrative control of my own New Zealand troops.

6. We are immediately putting in hand active operations designed to clear the Japanese from the North West and North East coastal fringe. There appear to be no Japs in the interior. How long this operation will take I do not feel at liberty to estimate as I have little experience of the rate of progress that can be made through the jungle against hostile troops. The experience in New Guinea and of American troops in this theatre indicates that it is almost unbelievably slow but I feel sure that 14 Brigade will tackle the job with enthusiasm and do it as rapidly as it can be done, bearing in mind that this is the Brigade's first experience of actual combat.

7. I have been asked to undertake the elimination of the Japanese forces on Gizo Island but do not propose to start that operation until we are assured that the situation in Vella Lavella is thoroughly in hand.

8. The present indications are that the 8th Brigade Group will be employed in the occupation of the Treasury Islands. They are not likely to meet with much ground opposition so far as present reports go but they are bound to be subjected to considerable air attack unless our Air Forces can neutralise Kahili, and no doubt it will be necessary to neutralise to some extent the airfields in the Buka and Rabaul areas. There will always be the potentiality of a Japanese attempt to invade that Island after our troops have landed there and the operation is attended with considerable risks. Whether these risks ought to be taken is a matter for consideration in the light of future developments and will depend very largely on the amount of air cover and naval protection that can be afforded. The full plan for this naval and air cover has not yet been disclosed to me. Even if the naval and air cover entirely prevents any attempted invasion of the Treasury Islands we are bound to be subjected to considerable air attack. This is more likely to fall heavily on the construction units that will be charged with the building of an airfield there than on the Infantry troops of the 8th Brigade who will be considerably dispersed and well camouflaged from air observation. The plans in regard to the occupation of the Treasury Islands are still in the tentative stage and may be subject to considerable modification.

9. I need hardly emphasise the need for the utmost secrecy in regard to this phase of the operations and I do not think the plan ought to be communicated to anyone outside Army HQ. I have no authority to report it to War Cabinet. Indeed I have no express authority to report it to Army HQ and I have not asked for it, but I feel that Army HQ should know how 8 Brigade is likely to be employed as otherwise it cannot foresee possible requirements. I would therefore particularly ask that no reference to the Treasury Islands operation be passed on beyond Army HQ. I see no reason, however, why the information contained in the rest of this letter should not be conveyed to the War Cabinet.

10. I am sending copies of this letter to Colonel Murphy(1) and to Colonel Dove but I am instructing them that the information regarding the Treasury Islands operation is to be given the utmost secrecy. Brigadier Row,(2) of course, knows of it.

(1)Col W. Murphy, CBE, MC; GSO I, 3 NZ Div, 1942; AA & QMG, Aug 1942 – May 1943; Commandant, Papakura Military Camp, Jun 1944 – Jun 1946; Area Commander, Auckland, Jun 1946 – Mar 1948.
(2)Brig R. A. Row, DSO and bar, Legion of Merit (US); commanded 8 Bde, 2 NZEF IP, Mar 1942 – Dec 1943; died Lower Hutt, 7 Jan 1959.

11. There is still in Guadalcanal a considerable portion of my Divisional Troops. Whether and when they can be brought up here I cannot foretell at present nor can I say whether it will be necessary to bring them all up here. Shipping difficulties are the main factor.

12. The health of New Zealand troops in this island so far is good and they are in good heart and looking forward to the opportunity of coming to grips with the enemy. I feel confident that they will do well. Vella Lavella is at the moment extraordinarily free from mosquitoes and Malaria is not likely to worry us, at least for a time. The climate is trying and very humid. The noises in the jungle at night have to be heard to be believed. Every conceivable kind of bird, insect and frog joins in a chorus immediately after nightfall, which drowns every other sound except gunfire.

13. During the day we are seldom subject to air attack but every night has been considerably disturbed by the presence of hostile aircraft. American troops on the Island have adopted the policy of moving from their tents and bivouacs into fox-holes as soon as a ‘condition red’ is announced. They move back to their bivouacs after the ‘all clear’ is sounded. With as many as half a dozen raids in one night it is easy to see that the troops are not getting adequate rest. Our own troops have more or less adopted the American practice and it will be necessary for me to see that our troops sleep in suitably prepared splinter-proof shelters so that their rest is not disturbed by raids which may not result in bombs being dropped anywhere near their bivouac areas.

(Sgd) H. E. BARROWCLOUGH,
Major-General,
GOC NZEF IP

Major-General Barrowclough to Lieutenant-General Puttick

26 September 1943

Balance of 14 Brigade Group and further details Divisional Headquarters arrived Vella Lavella without incident and without casualties. 35 Battalion Combat Team is slightly north of Matu Soroto Bay and expect tomorrow to contact Japanese forces in the vicinity of Umomo Island. 37 Battalion Combat Team was established at Boro on Doveli Cove and moving to the neighbourhood of Bango Island.
Expect pincer movement to result in decisive action in a day or so. Difficulties of terrain and insufficiency of boats make progress slow. 14 Brigade Advanced Headquarters in the neighbourhood of Matu Soroto Bay. 30 Battalion Combat Team in reserve near Gill's Plantation. If 30 Battalion is not required in northern Vella I expect to employ it shortly in the capture of Gizo Island.
Our forward positions have been attacked from the air but so far without reported casualties.(1)

(1)Several later messages giving details of the operations on Vella Lavella have been omitted. General Barrowclough's report to the Prime Minister on 31 Dec 1943 (No. 406) gives a full account of the operations on Vella Lavella and in the Treasury Group.

It appears that the 3rd NZ Division was ready for action on or about 8/2/43, and that it comprised the 8th and 14th Brigade Groups only.

Hope this helps,

Thanks,

Brad

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 41
RE: OOB Comments - 7/27/2004 9:17:14 PM   
Subchaser

Hi Brady,

Can you please set up a lower resolution when you scan your material, that image is way too huge…

I also was surprised that Hiryu was modeled as clean bomber, torpedo racks were Ki-67 standard equipment and Hiryu debuted in autumn ’44 as torpedo bomber, it's kogeki-ki after all.

BTW, unfortunately I don’t have this Bueschel volume… can you please tell me, are there any Ki-109 a/b (original design) drawings in this book?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Brady)
Post #: 42
RE: OOB Comments - 7/27/2004 10:10:52 PM   
Don Bowen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad Hunter

I hope this clears up some of the discussions involving the 3rd NZ Division. Discussions to include the Fiji Brigade were also nixed by Halsey. Brad

Brad

I agree that 1st Fiji was never included into the 3rd NZ, although I always thought it was the NZ Governor - Sir Philip Mitchell - that vetoed the idea due to planned battalion sized deployments of the Fiji Brigade. Two Fiji battalions (1st and 3rd) and some commandos served in the Solomons under U.S. Command.

Other than Territorials, I think the best OOB for the NZ Army would be:
8 NZ Brigade
14 NZ Brigade
1 Fiji Brigade

Other garrison forces (like 36 Bn at Norfolk Island) would be represented by infantry components in the base forces.

Don

(in reply to Montbrun)
Post #: 43
British Brigades - 7/27/2004 10:55:14 PM   
McNaughton

2846 14th Chindit Brigade
2847 16th Chindit Brigade
2848 23rd Chindit Brigade

These should be renamed to...

2846 14th British Brigade
2847 16th British Brigade
2848 23rd British Brigade

And given regular a Brigade TOE, as well as all arriving in March 1942.

They were the three brigades of the 70th Division, which were later used as Chindit Brigades. They were very important in garrisoning Ceylon and India in early 1942 (split apart into brigades), and would be much more useful units as regular formations than weakened versions of the Chindit Brigades (with just 3inch Mortars).

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 44
Naming Units - 7/27/2004 10:58:55 PM   
McNaughton

I was looking at the Locations, and think that a revamping of the names could be done for better harmony.

UK was not a common term used at this period, the most correct term would probalby be British (for example, 2nd British Division instead of 2nd UK Division).

Also, a Corps unit HQ should probalby have its titling reversed, with the corps number first, then nationality

Currently they are...

US XXIV Corps
AUS I Corps
IND III Corps
UK IV Corps (this was actually a British unit, brought in from England)
IND XV Corps

...and change them to...

XXIV USA Corps
I Australian Corps
III Indian Corps
IV British Corps
XV Indian Corps

(in reply to McNaughton)
Post #: 45
RE: Naming Units - 7/27/2004 11:02:10 PM   
DrewMatrix

quote:

Also, a Corps unit HQ should probalby have its titling reversed, with the corps number first, then nationality

I am not sure I like that. It would make it harder to sort LCUs usefully. I can think of more reasons to want to see all the US divisions or all the Dutch divisions in one place than I can think of needing to see all "I" Corps, regardless of nationality.

Beezle - Rapidly running out of altitude, airspeed and ideas.

(in reply to McNaughton)
Post #: 46
RE: Naming Units - 7/28/2004 1:23:51 AM   
McNaughton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beezle

quote:

I am not sure I like that. It would make it harder to sort LCUs usefully. I can think of more reasons to want to see all the US divisions or all the Dutch divisions in one place than I can think of needing to see all "I" Corps, regardless of nationality.

Well, divisions-battalions have the number first anyway, and there are just a few Corps units (enough to fit in one page) that this really shouldn't be a problem.

(in reply to DrewMatrix)
Post #: 47
RE: Naming Units - 7/28/2004 4:17:08 AM   
McNaughton

Japanese Armoured units were actually called tank, not armoured.

So instead of...

1672 : 2nd Armoured Division
1742 : 1st Armoured Division
1743 : 3rd Armoured Division

They should be

1672 : 2nd Tank Division
1742 : 1st Tank Division
1743 : 3rd Tank Division

(in reply to McNaughton)
Post #: 48
HQ attachment - 7/28/2004 4:26:19 AM   
McNaughton

Very few units are attached to their specific headquarters. Even though this really doesn't affect the game, it would add to organization benefits to have units attached to proper HQs. The worst offender are the British Forces, with everything (everything, land and air) attached to Southeast Asia Command, even those in Malaya (with ample other HQs to be attached too).

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 49
RE: HQ attachment - 7/28/2004 5:47:13 AM   
Brady

Hiya Subchaser, ya I wish the Navy could upgarde to the Ki-67 as well, but for some reaison we cant do that (unless I mised somthing).

Sry about the Pic, your right it is huge, but I wanted it to not be missed:)

The Book does cover the Ki-109 in some detail, and their are some nice picks, but No drawings of the Ki-109. ( I have most of this series but I want to get the one on the Nell, and the Maru Mechanic book that covers it as well, the Nell has become a favorate of mine:) )

BTW I tryed to dig up those pageis I scaned of the Japanese aerial mines from the OPNAV source I scaned at the Oregon Military Museum, but I could not find them, I nead to some more digging their hear somewhear....

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

Obi-wan Kenobi said it best: A lot of the reality we perceive depend on our point of view

(in reply to McNaughton)
Post #: 50
Additional aircraft - 7/28/2004 6:26:17 AM   
pad152

ORIGINAL: pad152

Additional aircraft I would like to see added to the database for what/if scenarios.

British – Common Wealth

Blackburn Skua MII – Another obsolete F/B
Handley Page Hailfax MkIII – Level Bomber
Avro Lancaster – Level Bomber
Gloster Meteor MkIII – jet
Hawker Typhoon – F/B
Stirling Short – Bomber
Supermarine Walrus –Float Plane

French/Dutch
D.520 Dewoitine - Fighter
Bloch 174 - Bomber

US
P80 – Jet

Japan
G5N Shinzan (Liz) – Bomber (4 eng Nakajima)
N1K1 Kyofu – Float Fighter (1 eng Mitsubishi)
Ki-102a – Fighter (2 eng Mitsubishi)
Q1W1 Tokai – ASW/Recon, JU88 look a like (2 eng Hitachi)

Kid asked me to post it here!

(in reply to Brady)
Post #: 51
RE: Additional aircraft - 7/28/2004 11:02:17 AM   
Hipper

Hi Folks

I strongly consider that compared with the number of Swordfish vs Albacore used by the RN & RAF you should just change the aircraft to Albacore if so here are the stats

1x 30 cal browning front firing
2 x rear facing guns (vickers k)

MaxSpd 160
CruSpd 116
Climb 750
Alt 20700
Man 20 ?
Dur 26 (it was an all metal airoplane)
End dunno varoius aircraft sites give a loaded range of 700 - 900 miles loaded
find it tricky to work out how range works in WITP

Arm 1
Load 2000
Month 3
Year 40
Rate 7 tricky this 800 made over three years rate of 22 how much assigned to India ? 1/3 seems possible
Pool 0
Upgrade (Baracuda)

NB in truth you should add asv II device 30 mile range search radar I note there is an aps - 6 surface search radar modeled in the game does this have any effect ?

cheers

"Gefechtwendung nach Steuerbord"

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 52
RE: HQ attachment - 7/28/2004 2:32:31 PM   
Subchaser

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brady

BTW I tryed to dig up those pageis I scaned of the Japanese aerial mines from the OPNAV source I scaned at the Oregon Military Museum, but I could not find them, I nead to some more digging their hear somewhear....

I’m surprised you remember about that, thanks pal… there is urgent need though I’ve already got that info…

(in reply to Brady)
Post #: 53
RE: HQ attachment - 7/28/2004 3:06:19 PM   
Montbrun

Don,

Some more info from the NZ Official Histories on the Fiji Brigade...

Admiral Halsey to Lieutenant-General Puttick

24 June 1943

Refer your telegram of 16 June [No. 360] and despatch of the 19th. As the Fiji garrison must remain at certain strength, bringing the 3rd New Zealand Division to strength by employing the Fiji Brigade would in the end result in immobilising United States units in defence of Fiji in order to release Fijian units for offensive use. Such use would also deprive us of the free use of Fijian troops now employed as scouts and raiders in the Solomons, for if part of the New Zealand Division they would necessarily and properly be trained and employed as an organic part of the Division. For the above reasons I prefer a twin-brigade New Zealand Division to employing Fijian troops therein.

Thanks,

Brad

(in reply to Subchaser)
Post #: 54
RE: Aircraft Types - 7/28/2004 3:44:54 PM   
strawbuk

Nice - but isn't bottom Liberator an ASW 'Coastal Command version? Very VLR Atlantic like.

Twinkle twinkle PBY
Seeking Kido Bu-tai
Flying o' the sea so high
An ill-omen in the sky
Twinkle twinkle PBY
Pointing out who's next to fry

(in reply to McNaughton)
Post #: 55
RE: Aircraft Types - 7/28/2004 7:50:26 PM   
TheElf

There are many aircraft and sub-variants I would like to see. Before I go into any detail though we need to find out how realistic it might be to have them put into the Database. Space is limited, not only in the database, but as Subchaser explained to me in the "What aircraft would you like to see?" thread we are limited in planesides art spaces, and plantops art spaces. Granted there are many models that could use the same art, but from what I'm seeing, the reaction is pretty strong and there are a lot of additional aricraft and sub-variants being requested.
So, THE most important question right now is can we support all these new aircraft...

1. In the database?

2. With planeside/top art?

3. If not will we need to represent primary models and ALL their sub-variants with one art file in order to make room for the additional aircraft?

4. Can the developers expand the planesides file to create more flexibilty in the ART folders?

Anyone who can shed some light on this issue please do.

Right now my only order of battle pitch is this.

The A6M3 that is represented in this game is the Model 32 known as the clip-winged, no gas-havin', "Hamp". The problem I see with that is that the Model 22 was produced in greater numbers (560 Mod 22 & 343 Mod 32)

The Model 22 had the wingtips added back on in order to lower wing-loading for the 9.9 Imp-Gal fuel tank installed in each wing. These tanks gave the Model 22 effectively 100 mile longer range than the A6M2!!! In fact it was these Zeros that made the 644 mile round trip to Guadalcanal from Rabaul. Now anyone who has played UV or WitP in the Solomons knows that this won't be possible with the current representation of the A6M3.

Given that the Model 22 was built in greater numbers and came into production only 2-3 months after the first model 32s shouldn't IT be used as the "Generic" A6M3 model in WitP?

Generally speaking, I'd also like to see more Japanese sub-variants modelled, and the upgrade paths for IJ Army and Navy made more flexible.

I am currently working on a Scenario that fixes the A6M3 to the Model 22 standard, brings the George in a little earlier (basically when the Shiden did 11/43), and makes the IJ Army and Navy Fighter Paths a bit more linear (thus more flexible). unfortunately this is just my scenario and not the official game Scenarios.

< Message edited by TheElf -- 7/28/2004 3:15:30 PM >

IN PERPETUUM SINGULARIS SEDES

(in reply to strawbuk)
Post #: 56
RE: Aircraft Types - 7/28/2004 7:58:00 PM   
anarchyintheuk

I kinda forgot how few of that model were produced. You could end up with that many in the replacement pool in UV.

(in reply to TheElf)
Post #: 57
RE: Aircraft Types - 7/28/2004 8:06:09 PM   
ZOOMIE1980

Ok only three requests. I'm and old Air Force guy so I could care less about ships and land units. I'm also not very big on other allied air units or aircraft, so I'll leave that as well. Most of what I've seen so far are relatively minor ommissions. Units/planes that had little REAL impact on anything, many early in the war.

The glaring exception in the CBI theater is the C-46. Major impact aircraft with thousands having seen action.

The other two assume a game that may last into March of 1946 and IF it had gone on that long these two would have DEFINITELY seen action, likely in sizeable numbers from the US side. The F8F (which was in PACWAR!) and the P-80. The Japanese jets and such were irrelevant by then because they had no pilots to make a difference no matter how good the planes were.

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 58
RE: Aircraft Types - 7/28/2004 10:22:13 PM   
m10bob

I would like to see USN blimps for the US west coast,(ASW and spotting)..
I would also like to see the inclusion of the USS Wakefield and USS West Point.
These ships were at Singapore on 29 Jan 1942 bringing reinforcements,and the Wakefield took a Jap bomb on the 30th.
She was unable to get repairs at Ceylon(after evacuating many Brit civilians from Singapore,)but repairs were effected at Bombay..
Wakefield later brought US Marines to Wellington on 14 June via the Panama Canal.
Both ships were large AP's and had been civilian passenger liners when built,(the Wakefield in 1932 was the fastest cabin ship afloat,when called the Manhattan!)

(in reply to ZOOMIE1980)
Post #: 59
Hakachi - 7/29/2004 5:09:24 AM   
Richrd

1941 War programme. Designed as a target ship. Refitted in 44 as an escort. (And hey, the japs need every one they can get.) 1900t, 2x120mm45, 28x25mm, &36 DC. 19 knts.

Richrd

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Aircraft Types Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI