Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Don't Underestimate MC-W

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Don't Underestimate MC-W Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Don't Underestimate MC-W - 1/22/2002 1:11:00 PM   
Wild Bill

If I were to take a poll on favorite theaters of war, I'm sure the East Front would take first place. Perhaps that is rightfully as it should be. Hopefully the world will never see such a massive bloodbath as that ever again. Still it happened. And through gaming we share some of those experiences. But don't underestimate what went on in the Pacific either. Millions died there too. The campaign for Guadalcanal was small next to many other battles in the east and west. But the battle for that island set the pace for the war in the far east. The Mega Campaign - Watchtower I honestly feels captures more of the fighting spirit of that time than most. A very talented team put in many, many hours to prepare some very unique situations, recreations of history that will give you a better understanding of what happened there. It is not all "Banzai" charges by any means. There are dozens of different situations here that will intrigue and challenge you. By all means enjoy the others but I hope in the near future you will give this campaign a try. It is both a fun experience and a great learning experience. A lot of documentation is there to widen your understanding of that war. It's a good buy. Once you start, you won't let it just sit on your computer. Trust me on this. Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
Post #: 1
- 1/22/2002 1:22:00 PM   
Redleg

Having had something to do with Watchtower, I am quick to second what Wild Bill has said about the nature of the fights you will encounter. We spent many hours and hundreds of sizzling emails hashing out, arguing, pursuading, cajoling just trying to come up with different sorts of situations. Some of the scenarios were re-done several times. Some were tossed out and started anew. We did not, to my knowledge, ever take a shortcut just to get the scenario finished and on to the next. Each scenario was tested, checked, cross-checked. We probably missed a few things, but I'll wager, "NOT MANY". I have still not had the opportunity to see the entire M/C so I am waiting to see how it strikes the gamers out there. So one of these fine days, I will be fighting my way through the mountains and valleys of Guadalcanal right along with you.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 2
- 1/22/2002 3:48:00 PM   
skukko

Hello From what I've heard; it is fun and hard... only thing that ain't in the game is insects and smell of the jungle. mosh

salute

mosh

If its not rotten, shoot again

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 3
- 1/22/2002 5:13:00 PM   
gnoccop

If I can download from Matrix at 24.99$ I'll buy it. Never played in the Pacific, but I'm interested in the documentation with the MC-W, and also I want try some jungle fighting!

"Violence is the last resource of incompetents". (I. Asimov)

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 4
- 1/22/2002 6:11:00 PM   
IKerensky

try www.duchet.com
This shop have it ,and it is un UK, it usually ship to France and UK for free. Dont know for Italy but it deserve a try, after all you are in Maastricht zone too

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 5
- 1/22/2002 6:20:00 PM   
Jasper

Bought it
and playing it

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 6
- 1/22/2002 6:23:00 PM   
Don Doom

quote:

Originally posted by Redleg:
Having had something to do with Watchtower, I am quick to second what Wild Bill has said about the nature of the fights you will encounter. We spent many hours and hundreds of sizzling emails hashing out, arguing, pursuading, cajoling just trying to come up with different sorts of situations. Some of the scenarios were re-done several times. Some were tossed out and started anew. We did not, to my knowledge, ever take a shortcut just to get the scenario finished and on to the next. Each scenario was tested, checked, cross-checked. We probably missed a few things, but I'll wager, "NOT MANY". I have still not had the opportunity to see the entire M/C so I am waiting to see how it strikes the gamers out there. So one of these fine days, I will be fighting my way through the mountains and valleys of Guadalcanal right along with you.
Morning Redleg.
I will second than with a 21 motar sulute. I had helped with it's making and as dence as I am about the pacific war Wild Bill and my team captain had alot of patence and help me to build some interesting battles which I am also waiting to play through and to see how everyone else likes the campaign or campain as I use to call them

Doom
Vet of the Russian General Winter
For death is only the begining

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 7
- 1/22/2002 7:43:00 PM   
richmonder

Well, WBW, I know I'll be getting it. And I am intriqued to see what the Pacific is about. I am sure it's a good bit more tense than the East in certain senses, what with the Nippon attacks and all. Still, the release of two MC's back to back (as far as availability) almost dooms MC-W to run behind MCLV, because as you said the Eastern Front is the biggie. I will assume that MC-W will pick up sales after people have hammered a bit through MCLV.

Respectfully,
Richmonder
(formerly Gen. Richmond)

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 8
- 1/22/2002 9:02:00 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Is there such a thing a "bad" Mega Campaign? Only thing keeping me from trying Watchtower, is Matrix isnt handing them out like cookies I guess. Sure hope its still around when I recover economically from getting Lost Victories. Man I sure wish people would stop whining about getting it as a purchased download though. I think Matrix has already made it clear everywhere else in the forum, there is no interest in putting it up as a purchased download. No way to ensure your "download" is successful, no way to track it, nothing physical to warrantee, in short, its a dumb way to get it. Any that want to get a Mega Campaign, are just going to have to accept that if you live outside of the US, your getting it is either going to hurt economically, or you are going to have to use your noodle to invent a way to circumvent all the hassle. Its not up to Matrix. All I want from Matrix is a good product. All the rest of the aquisition process is the responsiblility of the fan.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 9
- 1/22/2002 9:29:00 PM   
ZinZan

I have just got both MCW & MCLV, I'm playing neither right now (too busy with email games), but have played a few games on Combat Command as the Japanese in the current league. I must admit to finding the Far East a revelation; there is much more dependance on sound tactics rather than equipment. Infantry is MUCH more important, but a few AFV's can tip the balance (if deployed effectively). This theatre is fascinating due to some very noticeble imbalences in equipment and continues to keep me thoroughly interested. In short I am really looking forward to playing Watchtower as I think it will push me further as a commander than the more "normal" campaigns.

ZinZan <br/> Peace is an extension of war by political means. Plenty of elbow room is pleasanter - and much safer. <br/> Lazarus Long, Time Enough For Love by Robert Heinlein.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 10
- 1/23/2002 12:38:00 PM   
bobaloo000

I'd love to be playing Watchtower, but mine came in three pices and David Heath has not responded to my e-mails.

Mister I'm not a boy no I'm a man/and I believe in the promised land...

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 11
- 1/23/2002 2:03:00 PM   
Wild Bill

Thank you, all of you. These are greatly encouraging comments. DD, you did a great job on the Ilu River...bloody as you want it. It is a unique campaign, one you will enjoy. The documentation is worth it, plus the fun and challenge of the battle. Its here for you when you are ready. Babaloo, write the help desk. Do it right away, now if you can. Send your request directly to them. Daniel Heath is working hard to satisfy all Matrix patrons. He is listening ... er, reading. Here is the URL. Get that note off to him at once. http://www.matrixgames.com/store/help.asp You will get attention and service here. I'm really sorry about the 3 part CD. Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 12
- 1/23/2002 10:58:00 PM   
TheZel66

cant wait to play watchtower, WB. now if only the store can give me the right game this time.. i ordered MC-W, only to get the ordered messed up twice!!!

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 13
- 1/24/2002 1:23:00 AM   
Redleg

Well, my WT campaign is enroute - so I'll soon be able to defend Henderson field, send the Raiders on a spoiling "long march" mission, do some rescue operations, raid Japanese supply depots, and so on. Really looking forward to it.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 14
- 1/24/2002 2:52:00 AM   
BjörnR

Just started to fight my way trough the desert, and then, if I survive, I will be sent to the east front just to loose victories.
Where to find the time to struggle through the jungle too?
Despite the fact that I play games on the computer I only have one life and one wife!

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 15
- 1/24/2002 4:47:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Bjorn, you get into Russia, you'll never get out. Ask the Wehrmacht The Tour of Duty on the Canal is shorter...maybe not easier, but shorter Bring your War Widow with you. She'll love the tropical paradise known as Guadalcanal. Ask a Marine Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 16
- 1/25/2002 2:32:00 AM   
magresh

I have been fortunate enough to have been able to order and receive all three mega campaigns.
I loaded them and started all three at once, alternating battles or fighting a few and then jumping to another campaign. They are all fun.
A tank battle has a charm of its own, but for me the infantry battle is the most varied in its choice of tactics and equipment and so fulfilling when you have accomplished the objectives and seen your men survive with as few casualties as possible. The Watchtower mega campaign is the most fun and the most challenging I have had in wargaming in thirty years. Thanks
Magresh

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 17
- 1/25/2002 2:54:00 AM   
Neil Stalker

Great to hear your loving MC-W, I worked on design and writing on all 3 MCs and got to admit it was my favourite. I know all the team would like to hear your impressions of how you found the battles etc or even an After Action Report. Thanks for purchasing the MCs. and enjoy the years of gaming they can give you.

Neil "Dingo" Stalker
Wild Bill's Raiders
http://www.militarygamer.com/raiders/

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 18
- 1/25/2002 3:05:00 AM   
WW2'er

Hi All! I received the MC-W yesterday and started it last night. I was very surprised when I won a bronze star for "Winning" the "Opening Battle". (Which is really just deciding which beach to attack.) Rather strange start, but I'm enjoying my first true battle. WW2'er

WW2'er

"That [state] which separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting by fools." — Thucydides, 'The Peloponnesian Wars'

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 19
- 1/25/2002 5:08:00 AM   
magresh

I'll work on an after action report over this coming weekend and post it next week. The taking of Gavutu-Tanambogo took a lot of thought and was the first so I'll start with that. I concentrate not on the victory conditions so much as the number of casualties my units take to complete the mission. Sometimes that means I don't get a victory or even a draw, but I feel the battle more and my units survive to gain the experience. Instead of being just pieces to move around, I treat it more like it was a role playing game and the units come alive.
Till then
Magresh

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 20
- 1/25/2002 5:45:00 AM   
Warrior

quote:

Originally posted by WW2'er:
I received the MC-W yesterday and started it last night. I was very surprised when I won a bronze star for "Winning" the "Opening Battle". (Which is really just deciding which beach to attack.) Rather strange start, but I'm enjoying my first true battle.
You had to be brave just to get into the landing craft! Like in the real military, don't question when unexplained good things happen. (And don't volunteer for anything! LOL) [ January 24, 2002: Message edited by: Warrior ]

Retreat is NOT an option.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 21
- 1/25/2002 6:04:00 AM   
Scorpion_sk

Yeah, I got MC-W.... but I´m expecting it´s quality to be even above that of the former MCs, because it is short compared to MC-LV (for the same price).
LV is what, 200+ possible scenarios?
While MC-W is (still a respectable) 80 scenarios.
Quite a difference there eh?
I think most of the people are going for the Russian Front because of that. Hmm. Bout Les´s comments:
quote:

No way to ensure your "download" is successful, no way to track it, nothing physical to warrantee, in short, its a dumb way to get it.
Well Les, I think we´ll just have to accept the fact that in the future, as when broadband connections get even faster and most importantly more common, we´re going to see a lot more ESDs...
For a small "guerrilla" developer/publisher, it´s a feasible way of doing it...
It´ll take some time, I´m sure, even a decade...but it´s the way of the future. If you think about it, making a physical product out of an immaterial product and shipping it around the world seems like a silly thing to do if you can send it over the ´net. The same with digital tv, you could dl the movies you want etc... About your cons,
first, just give the customers a chance to download it again.
That way, there´s no need to make sure whether the dl is successful...
No need to track it....
No need to warrant anything... And they will not attempt to download it again "just for fun", methinks
For copy protection issues, make an online registration system....
Sure, all this costs a lot of money and so it doesn´t help Matrix since they don´t need to change their methods...but it´s an option for other companies.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 22
- 1/25/2002 8:16:00 AM   
BruceAZ

I want to thank all that helped in the design and testing. While many of you will find something unique in all of them, in MCW you will find excellent maps and a true historical basis for many of the scenarios. You will fight the same tough battles that occurred on that island in 1942. It puts my earlier Guadalcanal Campaign to shame and well worth the financial investment. The research, data and photo work was excellent. I give a lot of credit to Will Bill in the organization and project handling. He did a great job of keeping us in line. I have not received my copy yet (UPS sent it to the wrong address) but when it does, I will hunker down and see what I can do. I will write a few AAR's and pass them along. Good luck, you will need it. Bruce
Semper Fi

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 23
- 1/26/2002 4:23:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Zel, let me know if you get your MC-W. Same for you Recon. As to the number of scenarios, I make no apology for having less scenarios than another Mega Campaign. The Mega Campaign reflects the event. I think you'll find more than enough to do in MC-W and won't feel cheated. Don't get me wrong. I want you to get Grenadier's masterpiece of MC-LV. It is worth it! But then I think all Mega Campaigns are worth the cost. Think about this. How many games have you purchased, installed, played once, and then left alone until you finally took it off your hard drive? And the cost? $30, $40, or more? The Mega Campaigns were designed with the gamer in mind. What would he like? What would be fun for him? Will he like the challenge/ Will it be a learning experience? Will it leave him with a satisfied feeling about his investment? Will it be accurate? will it give the feel of history? I think they do. I'm convinced that they do. 5th Recon and Warrior Avery as team captains worked day and night with their faithful teams to answer all those questions with a resounding "YES!" So no apologies here for 80 scenarios versus 250. You'll get your money's worth! That is a promise! Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 24
- 1/26/2002 4:59:00 AM   
richmonder

Well, WBW - what a salesman you are! I just read your post and decided to buy MC-W right NOW! (and just did). What valid points you make. That makes all 3 MC's in a little over a month. Talk about computer game riches. Just do me a favor and ask Matrix to add a brick to the shipping order to justify the $8 that UPS wants to ship a >1lb. CD from coast to coast!! hehe [ January 25, 2002: Message edited by: richmonder ] [ January 25, 2002: Message edited by: richmonder ]

Respectfully,
Richmonder
(formerly Gen. Richmond)

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 25
- 1/26/2002 9:54:00 AM   
BruceAZ

quote:

The Watchtower mega campaign is the most fun and the most challenging I have had in wargaming in thirty years. Thanks
Magresh[/QB]
Thanks, and I am sure all the people that worked on it appreciate your comments. Bruce
Semper Fi [ January 25, 2002: Message edited by: 5thRecon ]

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 26
- 1/27/2002 7:44:00 AM   
Fredde

Sorry Les- I saw this note late, but this is actually a very unproductive comment if your goal is to get many good products.. Good sales at a good price to many customers-->much money to develop new products-->many great Matrix products to come. Good sales at a good price to half the customers and lousy sales at an extremely high price to the other half--> half as much money for development --> half as many great Matrix products to come. Biting your own tail if you want more good products by slamming all the non-North Americans who wants an easy way to buy the goodies

quote:

Originally posted by Les the Sarge 9-1:
Is there such a thing a "bad" Mega Campaign?
Any that want to get a Mega Campaign, are just going to have to accept that if you live outside of the US, your getting it is either going to hurt economically, or you are going to have to use your noodle to invent a way to circumvent all the hassle. All I want from Matrix is a good product. All the rest of the aquisition process is the responsiblility of the fan.

"If infantry is the Queen of the battlefield, artillery is her backbone", Jukka L. Mäkelä about the Finnish victory at Ihantala.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 27
- 1/28/2002 1:03:00 AM   
Wild Bill

We never ship bricks, Richmonder! Somebody might throw 'em ! I think you'll be pleased that you made the plunge. I know about hard-earned money. I've worked hard for mine all my life. Raising and sending out into the world six fine kids was no easy task. I struggled to even buy one wargame. But it was almost always worth it. There are some real lemons out there! The Mega Campaign just offers too much bang for the buck to pass on it. And the nice thing is their replay ability. The second time around you'll see some new things and get to relive those old ones. You'll pedrhaps read some of the material you passed the first time. It is a true wargaming experience. Thanks for your support, all of you. Our goal has been and is gaming pleasure for all of you with a good taste of history thrown in to boot. Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 28
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Don't Underestimate MC-W Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI