Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

acclerated ship

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> acclerated ship Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
acclerated ship - 7/29/2004 8:00:15 AM   
guv

what does it do take more suppl or what please help
Post #: 1
RE: acclerated ship - 7/29/2004 8:03:57 AM   
mogami

Hi, Each shipyard (Naval or Merchant) produces a certain number of build points per day if the yard gets enough heavy industry points to operate.
Accelerating a ship uses twice as many and does twice as much towards movig the ship to completion. (It advances 2 days instead of 1) If the yard has more ships in production then points some of them will not advance. So if you acceleralte a ship there is a good chance you will at some point begin delaying others. You can also halt ships to save points for use on others.

The Allied player cannot effect the arrival of his ships. All Allied ships are already considered to be under accelerated build programs.

< Message edited by Mogami -- 7/29/2004 1:06:39 AM >

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to guv)
Post #: 2
RE: acclerated ship - 7/29/2004 9:31:59 AM   
esteban

Oh, another little chore that the Japanese player has to do in production (besides increasing his woefully undersized armament production by at least 3X, and increasing vehicle production by 50% or more, and tuning his air production so he isn't doing things like producing a ton of Nates he will never use) is to build up his naval ship yards so he can actually achieve on-schedule delivery of everything his navy has in the pipeline.

To date, I haven't seen a need to expand Japan's merchant shipyards, but frankly I am not looking that closely. But everything else going on in the Japanese production arena needs somewhere between significant and a-ton-of attention.

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 3
RE: acclerated ship - 7/29/2004 9:36:42 AM   
mogami

LOL The force is strong in this one.

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to esteban)
Post #: 4
RE: acclerated ship - 7/29/2004 4:06:16 PM   
tsimmonds

quote:

ORIGINAL: esteban

Oh, another little chore that the Japanese player has to do in production (besides increasing his woefully undersized armament production by at least 3X, and increasing vehicle production by 50% or more, and tuning his air production so he isn't doing things like producing a ton of Nates he will never use) is to build up his naval ship yards so he can actually achieve on-schedule delivery of everything his navy has in the pipeline.

To date, I haven't seen a need to expand Japan's merchant shipyards, but frankly I am not looking that closely. But everything else going on in the Japanese production arena needs somewhere between significant and a-ton-of attention.

On the other hand, if the Japanese player halts construction on Shinano, that saves him enough shipbuilding points (193,680) to, say, accelerate the first 4 Unryus. Another good source of shipbuilding points is the coastal submarine program; foregoing just one of the RO boats will give you an additional 6250 points to play with; there are 33 of them in the program, you do the math. Do you really need the Oyodo and the Aganos? There's another 40,000 points. And so on....

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to esteban)
Post #: 5
RE: acclerated ship - 7/29/2004 4:34:00 PM   
Caltone

quote:

ORIGINAL: irrelevant
On the other hand, if the Japanese player halts construction on Shinano, that saves him enough shipbuilding points (193,680) to, say, accelerate the first 4 Unryus. Another good source of shipbuilding points is the coastal submarine program; foregoing just one of the RO boats will give you an additional 6250 points to play with; there are 33 of them in the program, you do the math. Do you really need the Oyodo and the Aganos? There's another 40,000 points. And so on....

Good ideas! I had already put the axe to Shinano but hadn't considered the RO crap boats.

"Order AP Hill to prepare for battle" -- Stonewall Jackson

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 6
RE: acclerated ship - 11/9/2004 4:23:51 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mogami

Hi, Each shipyard (Naval or Merchant) produces a certain number of build points per day if the yard gets enough heavy industry points to operate.
Accelerating a ship uses twice as many and does twice as much towards movig the ship to completion. (It advances 2 days instead of 1) If the yard has more ships in production then points some of them will not advance. So if you acceleralte a ship there is a good chance you will at some point begin delaying others. You can also halt ships to save points for use on others.

The Allied player cannot effect the arrival of his ships. All Allied ships are already considered to be under accelerated build programs.

After what it is already building on turn 1 scen 15 how many shipyard points does japan have left to play with if you dont change anything???

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 7
RE: acclerated ship - 11/9/2004 4:57:25 AM   
2ndACR

By cancelling Shinano on turn 1, I have been able to get the CVL Shoho, the 2 small CV's (can not remember their names) and am 30 days out from getting the next 2 CVE's and the date is July 4, 1942.

All of those ships have been accelerated until they reach 10 days out. I err on the side of caution on this one.

Never did a count to see what is left over. But IMO the Shinano is worthless. I would rather have 1-2 extra Shokaku class CV's.

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 8
RE: acclerated ship - 11/9/2004 5:03:10 AM   
tsimmonds

Forgoing Shinano allows you to do many other things. OTOH, if you leave production untouched, IIRC you are losing ground from the first day and will soon run into problems if you do not either expand Naval shipyards or convert Merchies to Naval. I have a detailed analysis of this on my PC at (ahem) the office; I'll post something about this in the morning. Shinano is definitely so much dead weight however.

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 9
RE: acclerated ship - 11/9/2004 5:12:25 AM   
Tankerace

The funny thing about the Shinano is she was never designed as a combat aircraft carrier. She was supposed to have ~47 planes of her own, but her main function was to carry about 60 more to be deployed on other CVs as replacements. She is a big hulking piece of crap. IMO, she'd be more valuable as a battleship.

Designer of War Plan Orange
Allied Naval OOBer of Admiral's Edition
Naval Team Lead for War in the Med

Author of Million-Dollar Barrage: American Field Artillery in the Great War coming soon from OU Press.

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 10
RE: acclerated ship - 11/9/2004 5:14:35 AM   
2ndACR

Oh I do alot of production tweaking on turn 1. See Tanaka's thread below this one on production. I have a thread over in the war room covering my 1st turn production changes somewhere.

(in reply to Tankerace)
Post #: 11
RE: acclerated ship - 11/9/2004 5:26:42 AM   
tsimmonds

Agree, lots of tweaks to make. Many improvements in the realm of halting some aircraft or engine factories or entire programs, converting others, halting some ships, accelerating others, converting merchies to auxiliaries, etc. The one thing that you don't want to do is make wholesale factory expansions. Some expansion is necessary (Kates, Zeros, Emilys, armaments, vehicles) but it is important to show some restraint here. Every single factory point you expand will cost you 1000 supply, and in the first 6 months supply is even more dear to you than fuel. Ships are the only things that need fuel, but everything - ships, LCUs, A/C, construction, repair, replacements, you name it - everything burns supply. And until you know how much oil you are going to have to play with, every supply point you burn is a gamble that may or may not pay off....

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 12
RE: acclerated ship - 11/9/2004 5:32:05 AM   
2ndACR

My changes caused some concerns in Feb 42 from a lack of supply, but now it is July 42 and everything is cruising along just fine now. And I still have not conquered all of Java yet.

Dang that little adventure in India. Set me back quite a bit. Would have worked if I would have went all out instead of just getting 2 divisions butchered.

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 13
RE: acclerated ship - 11/9/2004 6:11:53 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

Forgoing Shinano allows you to do many other things. OTOH, if you leave production untouched, IIRC you are losing ground from the first day and will soon run into problems if you do not either expand Naval shipyards or convert Merchies to Naval. I have a detailed analysis of this on my PC at (ahem) the office; I'll post something about this in the morning. Shinano is definitely so much dead weight however.

sounds like another disadvantage to the AI since it does not touch production...falls behind i guess...

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 14
RE: acclerated ship - 11/9/2004 6:51:44 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: 2ndACR

By cancelling Shinano on turn 1, I have been able to get the CVL Shoho, the 2 small CV's (can not remember their names) and am 30 days out from getting the next 2 CVE's and the date is July 4, 1942.

All of those ships have been accelerated until they reach 10 days out. I err on the side of caution on this one.

Never did a count to see what is left over. But IMO the Shinano is worthless. I would rather have 1-2 extra Shokaku class CV's.

why accelerated until 10 days out?

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 15
RE: acclerated ship - 11/9/2004 6:53:15 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

yes please post would like to see this thanks!

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 16
RE: acclerated ship - 11/9/2004 8:48:24 AM   
2ndACR

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: 2ndACR

why accelerated until 10 days out?

I would rather not find out very rudely that the disappearing ship bug is still there. So I go back to normal construction speed around the 10 day mark. Plus it allows me to start something else.

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 17
RE: acclerated ship - 11/9/2004 2:41:52 PM   
tsimmonds

With no shipyard changes, Japan gets 1174 naval shipyard points per day. On 12/7/41 the following have reached the stage of construction that requires the expenditure of shipyard points in order for them to advance towards completion: 4CV, 2CVL, 2BB, 1DD, 12SS requiring a total expenditure of 1260 points per day. From the start there is a deficit that can be handled in various ways.

• as I said, you can stop Shinano. Her merits aside, she gobbles up 180 points every day until her arrival on 11/17/44. That's 15% of the shipbuilding budget for a ship that is essentially worthless.
  • you can expand shipyards. I rejected this out of hand as too expensive, both of supplies to pay for the expansion as well as of HI to pay for the shipbuilding. But should you elect to do this, the real trick there is how much to expand, and timing of the expansion. Of course you need more points right away, and expanding shipyards takes time.
  • you can convert merchant shipyards. You have 1000 points worth of them at the start, and only 510 points worth of merchies burning. But that is before you convert AKs to AE, AR, AS, AV, and MLE. Those guys cost an additional 20 points a day each. Only you know how many of those you are going to make, so only you know whether you have leftover merchie capacity or not.

The other thing to keep in mind is that this is the situation at the start. It is not static but can and does change on a daily basis as some ships arrive and others reach the point where they start burning shipyard points. For example, the expenditure required for merchant ship construction on Jan 3, 1944 is 2612 points. That's pretty rich for your 1000 point per day budget. Fortunately for you, by then you are likely to have excess naval shipbuilding capacity that you can convert to merchant construction. The only question then is whether you have the HI to build all those ships (and of course, whether you still actually need any of them!). The only way to really be able to plan your shipbuilding is to build a day by day construction plan for the entire war including all possible ships, and then start tweaking it. I have done this, and would be happy to share it, but the files are huge. The one for warships is 23 megs, the one for merchies is 37 megs.

< Message edited by irrelevant -- 12/12/2007 4:17:31 AM >

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 18
RE: acclerated ship - 11/9/2004 3:23:17 PM   
steveh11Matrix

Surely you're joking! If you do nothing to the Japanese production, doesn't it run at the historical rate?

Steve.

"Nature always obeys Her own laws" - Leonardo da Vinci

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 19
RE: acclerated ship - 11/9/2004 3:31:05 PM   
tsimmonds

quote:

Surely you're joking! If you do nothing to the Japanese production, doesn't it run at the historical rate?

Historical rate? I have no idea. Is the arrival schedule in the game historical? I never looked at it that way. All I know is that the arrival schedule in the game is unattainable without taking action of some kind.

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to steveh11Matrix)
Post #: 20
RE: acclerated ship - 11/9/2004 3:39:25 PM   
steveh11Matrix

quote:

quote:

Historical rate? I have no idea. Is the arrival schedule in the game historical? I never looked at it that way. All I know is that the arrival schedule in the game is unattainable without taking action of some kind.

Translation please? Did you mean the best arrival schedule?

I've always felt that, like A/C research, this ought to be left well alone unless you're playing a specifically "What If" scenario, and in that case it ought to be better/more easily handled using the editor.

Just my feeling: I haven't actually played as the Japanese in a full-map scenario yet. So I'm trying to see what else I'm going to have to do!

Steve.
Steve.

"Nature always obeys Her own laws" - Leonardo da Vinci

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 21
RE: acclerated ship - 11/9/2004 3:57:04 PM   
tsimmonds

quote:

No, I mean the arrival schedule that you see when you look at the ship arrivals through the info screen. The arrival schedule leaving all ships on "normal". There aren't enough naval shipyard points to make it happen this way. Either you make changes or the game will make them for you by means of not advancing (I believe) the most expensive ship(s) on days when there aren't enough points. So day 1, need 1260, have 1174. So, Yamato does not advance today. But you only spend 1080, so 94 go into the bank. Day 2, need 1260, have 1174+94=1268, all projects advance, banzai! Day 3, need 1271 (another Yugumo just started burning points), have 1174+8=1182, oops, Yamato slips another day, but 89 points go into the bank....

I never tested to find out for sure which ship(s) production would slip; I just resolved never to be in that position, that I would be the one to choose what did not get built, rather than allow the game to do it for me.

< Message edited by irrelevant -- 11/10/2004 8:16:47 AM >

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to steveh11Matrix)
Post #: 22
RE: acclerated ship - 11/9/2004 7:34:57 PM   
Hornblower

If Japan is being played/managed by the AI, does it make any adjustments to the historical ship builds, or does it build what was built when it was built? I guess i am asking is the AI "smart" enought to focus points to say CV's and DE's by dropping various other projects?

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 23
RE: acclerated ship - 11/9/2004 9:11:34 PM   
Djordje

quote:

quote:

No, I mean the arrival schedule that you see when you look at the ship arrivals through the info screen. The arrival schedule leaving all ships on "normal". There aren't enough naval shipyard points to make it happen this way. Either you make changes or the game will make them for you by means of not advancing (I believe) the most expensive ship(s) on days when there aren't enough points. So day 1, need 1260, have 1174. So, Yamato does not advance today. But you only spend 1080, so 94 go into the bank. Day 2, need 1260, have 1174+94=1268, hooray, all projects advance! Day 3, need 1271 (another Yugumo just started burning points), have 1174+8=1182, oops, Yamato slips another day, but 89 points go into the bank....

I never tested to find out for sure which ship(s) production would slip; I just resolved never to be in that position, that I would be the one to choose what did not get built, rather than allow the game to do it for me.

This was exactly the case in my game, Yamato arrived in September 1942, Musashi will not be finished before january 1943...

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 24
RE: acclerated ship - 11/9/2004 9:26:08 PM   
tsimmonds

quote:

Musashi will not be finished before january 1943...

At least, that's what the arrival schedule is telling you now....
If you are still allowing all ships to build, I'd be surprised if she actually arrives then; the building points requirement goes up to 1350-1400 points per day towards the end of 1942. Keep an eye on Musashi's arrival date for a few turns; not only is she unlikely to advance at all, I think you can expect Shinano to start slipping as well. Both will likely be delayed for months. Halt Shinano now, and Musashi will advance most days, and you will eventually start to accumulate shipbuilding points that you can use to accelerate the ships that can help you in the coming months. You may also want to look at whether you want the RO boats eating up shipbuilding points; they are awfully expensive for not much benefit.

Thanks for the confirmation, it's always nice to know whether one's theoretical understanding of game mechanics is accurate.

< Message edited by irrelevant -- 11/9/2004 2:32:00 PM >

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to Djordje)
Post #: 25
RE: acclerated ship - 11/9/2004 11:02:54 PM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hornblower

If Japan is being played/managed by the AI, does it make any adjustments to the historical ship builds, or does it build what was built when it was built? I guess i am asking is the AI "smart" enought to focus points to say CV's and DE's by dropping various other projects?

No the AI never makes any adjustments. It doesnt touch production/research etc.....

(in reply to Hornblower)
Post #: 26
RE: acclerated ship - 11/10/2004 12:27:23 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

With no shipyard changes, Japan gets 1174 naval shipyard points per day. On 12/7/41 the following have reached the stage of construction that requires the expenditure of shipyard points in order for them to advance towards completion: 4CV, 2CVL, 2BB, 1DD, 12SS requiring a total expenditure of 1260 points per day. From the start there is a deficit that can be handled in various ways.

• as I said, you can stop Shinano. Her merits aside, she gobbles up 180 points every day until her arrival on 11/17/44. That's 15% of the shipbuilding budget for a ship that is essentially worthless.
  • you can expand shipyards. I rejected this out of hand as too expensive, both of supplies to pay for the expansion as well as of HI to pay for the shipbuilding. But should you elect to do this, the real trick there is how much to expand, and timing of the expansion. Of course you need more points right away, and expanding shipyards takes time.
  • you can convert merchant shipyards. You have 1000 points worth of them at the start, and only 510 points worth of merchies burning. But that is before you convert AKs to AE, AR, AS, AV, and MLE. Those guys cost an additional 18 points a day each. Only you know how many of those you are going to make, so only you know whether you have leftover merchie capacity or not.

The other thing to keep in mind is that this is the situation at the start. It is not static but can and does change on a daily basis as some ships arrive and others reach the point where they start burning shipyard points. For example, the expenditure required for merchant ship construction on Jan 3, 1944 is 2612 points. That's pretty rich for your 1000 point per day budget. Fortunately for you, by then you are likely to have excess naval shipbuilding capacity that you can convert to merchant construction. The only question then is whether you have the HI to build all those ships (and of course, whether you still actually need any of them!). The only way to really be able to plan your shipbuilding is to build a day by day construction plan for the entire war including all possible ships, and then start tweaking it. I have done this, and would be happy to share it, but the files are huge. The one for warships is 23 megs, the one for merchies is 37 megs.

ok after all this this is how im looking at shipbuilding. please let me know what you think.

"With no shipyard changes, Japan gets 1174 naval shipyard points per day. On 12/7/41 the following have reached the stage of construction that requires the expenditure of shipyard points in order for them to advance towards completion: 4CV, 2CVL, 2BB, 1DD, 12SS requiring a total expenditure of 1260 points per day. From the start there is a deficit that can be handled in various ways. "

......so 1260 - 1174 = 86 point deficit.

Halting Shinano = 180 points. 180 - 86 = 94 points left.

Now all of my other ships are building on schedule and will arrive on time and I have 94 points left to speed up another ship or ships.

So I choose to speed up the CS Nissin and the CVL Shoho at 45 points apiece = 90 points spent.

That leaves me with 4 points left. So I choose to speed up the MSWa1 and MSWa2 at 2 points apiece = my remaining 4 points spent.

Thus by halting the Shinano I have put all my remaining ships on schedule and sped up the schedule of CS Nissin, CVL Shoho, MSWa1, MSWa2.

Is this all correct? Please tell me I now understand the system!

< Message edited by Tanaka -- 11/9/2004 5:28:15 PM >

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 27
RE: acclerated ship - 11/10/2004 12:44:29 AM   
tsimmonds

You're headed in the right direction, except you need to keep in mind that the merchant shipyard point (MSP) pool and the naval shipyard point pool are two separate things. Your MSWs are built using MSPs.

Also, a ship is only available for acceleration under certain circumstances. "A ship that has a delay over 10 * ship durability and less than 30 * ship durability may be accelerated." So your MSWs would be available for acceleration (using MSPs of course) only when they were due to arrive between 10*2=20 days and 30*2=60 days from now. IOW, you can't accelerate just any ship, it has to be one that is already well along.

< Message edited by irrelevant -- 11/10/2004 3:52:48 PM >

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 28
RE: acclerated ship - 11/10/2004 12:53:24 AM   
tsimmonds

Sorry, one more thing. One day's worth of acceleration costs two times the ship's durability. So to accelerate Shoho by one day costs 90 (in addition to the 45 already spent for the normal progress). Every day during which you accelerate construction gets you two days nearer completion, but costs you three times the durability in shipyard points.

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 29
RE: acclerated ship - 11/10/2004 1:00:44 AM   
tsimmonds

One more thing about acceleration, continuing with the Shoho example. Shoho will arrive in 48 days using normal construction, so she costs 48*45=2160 points. If you accelerate her from the start she will cost 3 times as many points every day she is being accelerated, but will arrive in half the time. So she'll arrive in 24 days, at a cost of 24*45*3=3240 points. The total cost is only one-and-one-half times as much as the normal cost. You pay three times as much per day on the front end, but then after she arrives, you spend nothing when you would have still been paying the normal cost.

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> acclerated ship Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI