Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: wish list for patch

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: wish list for patch Page: <<   < prev  8 9 10 [11] 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: wish list for patch - 7/27/2004 11:59:20 AM   
Rainerle

Hi,
going from UV experience here but would it be possible to continue after an auto-victory with the game (against AI and PBEM) ?
You would still get notification that one side won but then you might be asked if you (or both parties in PBEM) would like to continue. This game is so much time consuming and after months of playing you might be anxious to know how it might turn out in the end.
Once again, going from UV experience were auto-victory spelled the end of the game (I'm still preparing my WitP game).

Image brought to you by courtesy of Subchaser!

(in reply to esteban)
Post #: 301
RE: wish list for patch - 7/27/2004 1:25:42 PM   
MadDawg

The ability for the Japanese to use mothballed aircraft for Kamikazi attacks...from what Ive read they used a lot of their older aircraft for this but currently it doesnt seem possible.

A couple of suggestions...

* Simply allow converted Kamikazi air units to downgrade one level as well as upgrade. The same process should work fine.

* When you convert a unit across to a Kamikazi attack you have the option of 'upgrading' them to whichever aircraft (fighter or bomber) you have the largest amount of in the pool but it no longer in production? That way at least it gives you an option for using those old aircraft?

Thanks!

Dawg

(in reply to Germ29)
Post #: 302
RE: wish list for patch - 7/27/2004 5:55:01 PM   
Damien Thorn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Buck Beach
Now I sure wish there is a way to assist me and the large percent of the worlds population that is red/green color blind.

about 11% of males and a tiny percent of females..

quote:

This is rarely considered by game makers. The most problematical are the main screen icons. Those attached/associated to the bases are only a minor problem of determining troop/ship/aircraft strength levels due to the ownership of the base being indentified. The major issue is those troops on the move and ship/TFs. To a color blind person it is very hard to tell the difference between allied and japanese forces. If there is a way to change or toggle these colors it would be very helpful.

It is really hard to see Japanese (red) land units that are in China but not located at a base. I can find them, but sometimes it takes a real effort to look. It's not something that can be noticed with a casual glance.

Here is a test to see if you are red-green color deficient since many people don't realize if they are. Can you read a number in the circle?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Buck Beach)
Post #: 303
RE: wish list for patch - 7/27/2004 6:13:52 PM   
rlc27

This may have already been suggested somewhere, but how about MAGIC interceptions? I know it would be difficult to implement since players (especially human) can turn the 7th fleet around on a dime and send them back to SF or whatever, but how about relaying ship locations?

"They couldn't hit an elephant from this dist--"

--John Sedgwick, failing to reduce suppression during the Battle of the Wilderness, U.S. Civil War.

(in reply to Damien Thorn)
Post #: 304
RE: wish list for patch - 7/27/2004 8:50:07 PM   
pad152

Additional aircraft I would like to see added to the database for what/if scenarios.

British – Common Wealth

Blackburn Skua MII – Another obsolete F/B
Handley Page Hailfax MkIII – Level Bomber
Avro Lancaster – Level Bomber
Gloster Meteor MkIII – jet
Hawker Typhoon – F/B
Stirling Short – Bomber
Supermarine Walrus –Float Plane

French/Dutch
D.520 Dewoitine - Fighter
Bloch 174 - Bomber

US
P80 – Jet

Japan
G5N Shinzan (Liz) – Bomber (4 eng Nakajima)
N1K1 Kyofu – Float Fighter (1 eng Mitsubishi)
Ki-102a – Fighter (2 eng Mitsubishi)
Q1W1 Tokai – ASW/Recon, JU88 look a like (2 eng Hitachi)

(in reply to rlc27)
Post #: 305
RE: wish list for patch - 7/28/2004 12:21:38 AM   
Tankerace

To move it from the main forum, I'd like to be able to append a small note to each TF, to denote its purpose. Say about 20 characters long, so I can put "Carrier Force" for an idependent unit, "Midway In Bmb" to denote a Bombardment TF that you want to use to support a Midway invasion, etc. A game of this scope, with thousands of ships and hundreds of TFs, it is an absolute must for player sanity.

Was on the list from day one of testing.

< Message edited by Kid -- 8/10/2004 4:21:53 AM >

Designer of War Plan Orange
Allied Naval OOBer of Admiral's Edition
Naval Team Lead for War in the Med

Author of Million-Dollar Barrage: American Field Artillery in the Great War coming soon from OU Press.

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 306
RE: wish list for patch - 7/28/2004 12:39:34 AM   
Greco, Thomas A

I'd love to hear the ships bell ring when the computer turn is over so I know when to blow off my family and get back to the game.

"Have fun storming the castle." Miracle Max

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 307
RE: wish list for patch - 7/28/2004 1:14:11 AM   
siRkid

quote:

ORIGINAL: pad152

Additional aircraft I would like to see added to the database for what/if scenarios.

British – Common Wealth

Blackburn Skua MII – Another obsolete F/B
Handley Page Hailfax MkIII – Level Bomber
Avro Lancaster – Level Bomber
Gloster Meteor MkIII – jet
Hawker Typhoon – F/B
Stirling Short – Bomber
Supermarine Walrus –Float Plane

French/Dutch
D.520 Dewoitine - Fighter
Bloch 174 - Bomber

US
P80 – Jet

Japan
G5N Shinzan (Liz) – Bomber (4 eng Nakajima)
N1K1 Kyofu – Float Fighter (1 eng Mitsubishi)
Ki-102a – Fighter (2 eng Mitsubishi)
Q1W1 Tokai – ASW/Recon, JU88 look a like (2 eng Hitachi)

This needs to go in the OOB thread for PRY to look at.

Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 308
RE: wish list for patch - 7/28/2004 3:02:06 AM   
MadDawg

Any chance we could get more mod slots for aircraft/ships for the modders to add this stuff in?

(in reply to Rainerle)
Post #: 309
RE: wish list for patch - 7/28/2004 3:23:27 AM   
sveint

I play with all reports off/delays to a minimum. Could we have a way to ONLY display the animations for SEA-TO-SEA and AIR-TO-SEA combat? Those are the two most interesting animations.

Thank you.

(in reply to MadDawg)
Post #: 310
RE: wish list for patch - 7/28/2004 6:07:39 AM   
Buck Beach

quote:

ORIGINAL: Damien Thorn

It is really hard to see Japanese (red) land units that are in China but not located at a base. I can find them, but sometimes it takes a real effort to look. It's not something that can be noticed with a casual glance.

Here is a test to see if you are red-green color deficient since many people don't realize if they are. Can you read a number in the circle?

There ain't no stinkin number in that circle!! It was this test that taught me I was color blind, had the corpman trace the number out with his finger several times thinking he was BSing me. In the test I think there are 17 to 20 different circles with numbers and I only got 3 right. Tried to fake it in Boot Camp when they gave us all the red/green/white color lantern test, but they saw right through me.

< Message edited by Buck Beach -- 7/28/2004 8:18:36 AM >

(in reply to Damien Thorn)
Post #: 311
RE: wish list for patch - 7/28/2004 7:35:11 AM   
esteban

Ooooh, I have another one. It would be nice, if when you click on a base, that it would tell you the type of terrain (mountain, atoll, clear, etc.) in the hex. For some of the island bases, it is tough to visually figure out what is an atoll, a mountain, clear, etc.

Bottom left of display

< Message edited by Kid -- 8/10/2004 4:22:57 AM >

(in reply to Buck Beach)
Post #: 312
RE: wish list for patch - 7/28/2004 10:55:31 AM   
Phoenix23

First post, wow I love this game... Great job to 2by3.
These are what i see as small issues. I don't know if they have been addressed already as 11 pages of posts is abit much to read.
1. In some of the "list pages" for ships and ground units hitting the back button takes you out of the list entirely as opposed to back to the main list. This forces you to re-enter the list and look for the next unit you were browsing... i'm sure the back button and exit button are there for different reasons so it would be nice to not have to go through the extra few steps.

On the list

2. How about a hyper link for the coordinates shown in the intellegence pages (sigint ect...)for easy refrence?

no can do

Thats it for now as i've seen some of my others addressed.

< Message edited by Kid -- 8/10/2004 4:23:42 AM >

(in reply to esteban)
Post #: 313
RE: wish list for patch - 7/28/2004 3:44:32 PM   
39battalion

As this is a wish list....here goes ( deep breath) :

I love this game already but a great improvement that would lift the game to another level would be the option of selecting a direction or location for your air searches. Just the choice of 4 vectors N,S, E, W would be great

So much in this game depends on detection and giving the player this choice would increase the challenge and tension. And add another element of luck.

The game already allows you to choose directions for unit movements, why not search directions ?

I have heard the argument that directional searching is too tactical for this strategic game , but the game is already a mix of stategic and tactical features ( such as setting aircraft altitudes) and which works fine.

I think this topic has been raised in earlier discussions and some strong views were expressed. I don't want to start WW3 but in response to this opportunity to express a wish......this is mine.

no can do

< Message edited by Kid -- 8/10/2004 4:24:16 AM >

(in reply to Phoenix23)
Post #: 314
RE: wish list for patch - 7/28/2004 4:09:53 PM   
Jaws_slith

And one more

Ability for a base to assign an air target like it was in PAW. This could prevent a lot of extra handling.

Good Hunting

(in reply to 39battalion)
Post #: 315
RE: wish list for patch - 7/28/2004 4:23:20 PM   
Stavka_lite

quote:

ORIGINAL: pad152

2. ETA - for ship taskforces in both the ship list screen and ship/TF screen, I'm tired of calulating 180 hexes/2 hexes per day = 90 days.

added to list

added to list

and maybe a message telling us tf or lcu has arrived at its destination
please

Yes, it is a dry heat... but so is a bloody blast furnace!

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 316
RE: wish list for patch - 7/28/2004 8:43:10 PM   
TheElf

Not sure If this has been posted yet.

I'd like to see the entire Aircraft upgrade system reworked. I just typed a long post only to have it lost so I will summarize.

Gary Grigsby's Bombing the Reich had a much more capable system for aircraft pool managment

Differences
1. Day fighter units could upgrade or retrograde up and down the line. Ex. Me-109G-2 --> Me-109G-5 --> G-6 --> FW-190A --> etc.

2. There were no limits within a type. Twin engine fighters (Me-110C/G, 210, 410), Night fighters, Jets. They all had freedom to go from one aircraft within their Family to another.

In WitP I think Army fighter units should be able to upgrade as far forward as the Ki-84 and retrograde as far back as the Ki-27, and everything in between. Navy Fighter units should be able to go from Claudes all the way up to the Shinden and back to Claudes if need be. The same for Navy and Army LBombers and DBombers. Add in some trade offs sure, but give us the capability. Say a 1 day delay per pilot to train(Ex. a 9 pilot Chutai might take 9 days to transition, 27 pilot Datai= 27 days)

Why you ask? Well say it is 1945. you have all your Navy Level bombers upgrade to G4M2's and PY1's. BUT your Prodcution factories are all bombed out and your units don't have enough servicable A/C to put up a fight. You have pilots, but no A/C, except for the 200 G4M1 Betties and G3M Nells left over from 1942. Do you really think you pilots would sit on the ground next these old A/C and watch the home islands get ravaged by the allies?

3. Another feature of GG's BTR was the doctrine page. Where Hurricanes gould be set to attack bombers and Spits could be set to attack fighters. They still mixed it up with other aircraft where necessary, but the AI strived to employ them as their doctrine was set. Would just add some depth to A2Air model

< Message edited by TheElf -- 7/28/2004 3:14:17 PM >

IN PERPETUUM SINGULARIS SEDES

(in reply to Stavka_lite)
Post #: 317
RE: wish list for patch - 7/28/2004 8:59:35 PM   
TheElf

Pilot Training Realism Setting (Toggle-able)

Allow for the Axis player to designate 1 squadron per type (Divebomber, Fighter, Level Bomber), per Service (Army, Navy) as a "Training Squadron". Figure a total of 6. 1 ea. per type, per service. Could actaully include recon and tansport I suppose...

When the overall default Pilot pool is exhausted untrained pilots (20's, 30's, 40's) enter the game in the desgnated Training Sqdn's (Replacements Accepted) rather than frontline units to continue training until they either:

a. Meet a player-determined level/standard of training (1941 Navy standard or 1942 Army Standard etc.)

or

b. They are recruited by the player at their current level of training, however inadequate, to fill for attrition in the fleet.

Toggling this switch at the beginnig of the game would turn all Air units to "Do Not Accept Replacement". Selecting each unit as a designated Training Sqdn would turn on "Accept Untrained Pilots" whereby any pilot that comes from the pool untrained goes to the Training squadrons and Trained pilots remain in the pool for distribution to the Fleet.

Before "Axis Fanboy!" and "you are ruining history!" are blurted out, consider this. Any Axis player worth his salt will be doing this anyway using the Mogami Method (Copyright 2004) of on map training. Why not help us expedite our PBEM turns by making it official and give us some relief? Any Allied purists out there can toggle it off as a PBEM setting anyway.

< Message edited by TheElf -- 7/28/2004 3:08:59 PM >

(in reply to TheElf)
Post #: 318
RE: wish list for patch - 7/28/2004 9:06:32 PM   
TheElf

A Send Disbanded pilots to the Pool Option

When useless units (such as Rufe Squadrons, Babs squadrons), which are either out of dead-end (non-upgradable) aircraft or considered too useless to use, allow them to be disbanded permantently.

But what happens to the pilots? In UV and I assume it is the same in WitP they stay with the disbanded squadron doomed in Purgatory to the Reinforcement Screen or are absorbed by a like unit in the same hex.

Please allow us to Send those experienced/trained pilots to the pool to be distributed to more useful units. Army pilots go to the Army pool, Navy go to the Navy pool.

This option would work just like the "Return to Tokyo" switch in UV for ships.

(in reply to TheElf)
Post #: 319
RE: wish list for patch - 7/28/2004 10:25:07 PM   
Cmdrcain

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheElf

A Send Disbanded pilots to the Pool Option

When useless units (such as Rufe Squadrons, Babs squadrons), which are either out of dead-end (non-upgradable) aircraft or considered too useless to use, allow them to be disbanded permantently.

But what happens to the pilots? In UV and I assume it is the same in WitP they stay with the disbanded squadron doomed in Purgatory to the Reinforcement Screen or are absorbed by a like unit in the same hex.

Please allow us to Send those experienced/trained pilots to the pool to be distributed to more useful units. Army pilots go to the Army pool, Navy go to the Navy pool.

This option would work just like the "Return to Tokyo" switch in UV for ships.

If you were to be able disband the planes but add the pilots to the pool, their experience should suffer, simply cause they would have to learn a new plane.

In the Original Pacwar you could disband plane groups but there were no pilots per se, if
you upgraded planes, pilots took an experience hit to stimulate the learning the new planes capabilities..

It is after all ridiculous to allow a well experienced pilot squad disband the old planes then get used with
full experience on unfamilier new planes with differences from old.

So I'd want if such implimented an experience drop on such piloy\ts, an pilot group whos say 80's experienced in Claudes would NOT be 80 experience in a zero, it would have differences in handling etc that would need learning, same for an F4F to say an F6F

Noise? What Noise? It's sooooo quiet and Peaceful!

Battlestar Pegasus

(in reply to TheElf)
Post #: 320
RE: wish list for patch - 7/28/2004 10:33:32 PM   
Cmdrcain

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Damien Thorn

There ain't no stinkin number in that circle!! It was this test that taught me I was color blind, had the corpman trace the number out with his finger several times thinking he was BSing me. In the test I think there are 17 to 20 different circles with numbers and I only got 3 right. Tried to fake it in Boot Camp when they gave us all the red/green/white color lantern test, but they saw right through me.

But know your point.

Games that use colors that color blind/problems might have trouble with should be coded so one might be able change color hues.

I wonder if you can do it within your graphics cards settings to change the colors displayed?

I'd think it would be easy enough to in a preferences setup the colors for use so one might set Japans to another then a red color..

Battlestar Pegasus

(in reply to Buck Beach)
Post #: 321
RE: wish list for patch - 7/28/2004 10:45:12 PM   
Cmdrcain

quote:

Ok I read through at least 7 pages of this wish list in detail and then skipped to the last post to submit my request. Much has been commented on about the small print and it has received some consideration. Now I sure wish there is a way to assist me and the large percent of the worlds population that is red/green color blind. This is rarely considered by game makers. The most problematical are the main screen icons. Those attached/associated to the bases are only a minor problem of determining troop/ship/aircraft strength levels due to the ownership of the base being indentified. The major issue is those troops on the move and ship/TFs. To a color blind person it is very hard to tell the difference between allied and japanese forces. If there is a way to change or toggle these colors it would be very helpful. If not I have lived with the problem all my life and can survive.

Just as a side note, I didn't realize I was color blind until I joined the Navy in 1960. The downside is that it kept me restricted from being trained for anything requiring good color perception so I ended up behind a damn desk that molded my life going forward. The upside is that I never had to perform a deck watch not being able to tell if a ship or aircraft was coming or going.

I'd note that if Game companys don't put in accessiability, then they may down the road have it legislated in, it is possiable the ADA act already applys to Game makers, just no court case on it has occured yet.

It really couldn't be that hard to leave many color settings user settable, in a preferences screen,
same as instead of setting Sound to 0 I'd prefer a single No Sound setting ;--)))

Or better... they could caption sounds ;-)))

Actually, XP and past windows versions have assessiability codings like visual cues etc programed into the O/S, game makers could just make use of that O/S installed coding.

( Theres Sound sentry and Show sounds (captions) built into XP for instance, just need game makers to start using those capabilities)

Probably a bit off topic but couldn't resist pointing out it and the future implications if game makers do nothing to accomodate... Resturants,Tv etc didn't, now their legislated into doing it.

Battlestar Pegasus

(in reply to Buck Beach)
Post #: 322
RE: wish list for patch - 7/29/2004 8:27:01 AM   
Tanaka

as it is now you can see how much aviation support you need at a base from the base list. what i also really need to see is how much general support i need at a base as well.

Its above the aviation support

< Message edited by Kid -- 8/10/2004 4:26:14 AM >

(in reply to Cmdrcain)
Post #: 323
RE: ASW patrol - 7/29/2004 11:43:56 AM   
ctid98

Not sure if these will be possible, but....

1) Surface combat, rather than just a night engagement and then a day engagement I'd like to see (just as for Air Strikes) a night, A.M. and P.M. engagement. If some Jap Fanboy is stupid enough to sail his transports with all those divisions into the hex with my Battleships, I WANT HIM TO PAY!!!!!!

2) Been said many times by others, and put down many times by Matrix, a chance surface engagement just like for subs. Whats the point of staking out a bottleneck if they can sail right by???

3) British withdrawal. I know it appears on the intel main page and on the scrolling summary on the first of the month, but maybe a popup window on the first just to be sure you see and remember it.

That'll do for now.

---------------------
Tora! Tora! Tora!

(in reply to Bodhi)
Post #: 324
RE: ASW patrol - 7/29/2004 4:53:22 PM   
coralsaw

Hi,

Here's my top-10, with many thanx for a unique game developed. No request is either a repost or a terribly major effort, IMHO.

1. A few pages back, Kid posted about a new ASW 'patrol' feature being worked on. Right now, I can set an ASW patrol to 'patrol, do not retire' and expect it to perform choke-point ASW. Would it be possible to have a react range added to an ASW patrol? It would help a lot.

2. Assignable hotkeys please, based on hexes, or bases. Hit CTRl-1 to assign a hotkey to a base or hex (or TF), hit SHIFT-1 to get there at once.

3. Could we have all newly arrived units' names (ship, a/c, lcu) coloured differently in all reports and panels, so that we know we have to give orders.

4. Similarly, could we have morale, fatigue, disruption etc coloured coded for all units (ship, a/c, lcu) in the same way (red, yellow, green, black - worse to best) to have more visual clues. Sorting works, but not as well because you can't sub-sort based on a second attribute.

5. Please add a 'go to hex/base/tf/unit' panel, that you can bring up and go to that hex/base etc by name or coordinates. Good for noobies that haven't got the map memorised yet.

6. Could we have more filters on the strategic map please. Eg, show all malaria-prone bases, show all airfiled greater than 3, show all bases with supplies greater that 4x requested, etc.

7. Could we have the range (in hexes) of an a/c in the database list, without having to go to each a/c screen. Also, an easy way to compare 2 a/c, ships etc from the database on one panel.

8. Please create an out-of-game utility to extract in eg. a CSV format all in-game data for the current scenario (password protected if need be for PBEMs), so that we can manipulate them outside the game. This includes unit database data (bases, ships etc) and scenario instance data (ships losts etc). This is one big game and we can appreciate all the administrativehelp possible, plus such a utility would surely spawn great add-ons by the community.

9. Can we sort by 'class' on the ship screen. A filter by territory is absolutely welcome as well.

10. Drilling from a (filterd) a/c, ship etc. list down, it would be great to have the option to cycle through that list on the unit panel. Similar to the ability to cycle through a/c in a base. (Dang... that's a terribly messed up way to put it, hope it gets through. )

Thanks.

/coralsaw

ps. I thought I'd piggyback onto this request a couple of useability features in the game that probably not everyone knows.

a. When selecting ships for a TF, right click the mouse on a ship's name in the top list will bring up a line with its ASW, AA etc armament and class name. Useful for sorting out DD escorts for bombardments, ASW patrols etc. This one is an old UV favourite.

b. People complain that when they hit 'esc' to speed up a turn, they speed up all combat screens etc and miss valuable info. If after hitting 'esc' to speed up messages you click the mouse, the message speed goes back to normal. Try it, you won't miss a combat screen ever again, and you can get past the tedious 'pilot claims a kill' messages too, if you've got fast fingers.

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon. - Napoleon Bonaparte, 15 July 1815, to the captain of HMS Bellerophon.

(in reply to ctid98)
Post #: 325
Marine Raiders Sub Mission - 7/29/2004 5:12:12 PM   
DrewMatrix

I would like another Sub mission added: Marine Raiders.

This would be a recon mission. The Sub is assigned that mission and a DH of a base held by the enemy. The sub sails there and, once it arrives, and if it survives ASW (which is likely) you get very high quality intelligence about the DH. The price you pay to get this is the long time it takes to get a sub to Kwajalein or Guam. But you find out that there are two CD units and what size guns they have, how many A/C and how much Air Support.

To keep it simple don't actually use any Marines (it is likely only a squad or two).

You might consider making this an Allied Only sub mission (did the Japanese ever do it). It would seem the Allies would be the ones to need the intel more. The Japanese advance in the early game when they have a fair idea of what is out there, the Allies in the late game when they have to figure out how the Japanese are deployed.

You might consider a chance for the Japanese to thwart it if the experience of the ground units at the DH is high enough.

To prevent the player from just assigning this mission to a Sub that is near an enemy island, make the mission one that can only be assigned to a sub in a size 3+ or size 5+ friendly port. A "load marine recon force" order.

I should think this would be simple to implement. Just a use of the Recon Flight code applied to Subs with the right mission assigned, giving the recon high effectiveness.

added to list

< Message edited by Kid -- 8/10/2004 4:28:06 AM >

Beezle - Rapidly running out of altitude, airspeed and ideas.

(in reply to coralsaw)
Post #: 326
RE: Marine Raiders Sub Mission - 7/29/2004 6:32:53 PM   
Howard Mitchell

An oddity on aircraft ratings - the highest climb rate among Allied aircraft is for the I-16c and I-16 Type 24 at 4,100 (presumably ft/min). Given that this is a 1930s design shaped like a barrel with at most a 1,100 HP engine this seems unlikely.

My closest to hand source ('Soviet Air Force Fighter Colours 1941-1945' by Erik Pilawskii, which covers aircraft design and history in depth as well as colour schemes) gives an initial rate of climb for the I-16 Type 24 of 3,250 ft/min. I am not sure what an I-16c is (no book I have lists such a designation) but the initial rate of climb for other variants of I-16 runs the range from 1,300 ft/min for the 1934 vintage I-16 Type 4 through to 3,425 ft/min for the I-16 Type 29 of 1940.

Not a wish

Hi Kid, my wish is that the aircraft rating is changed ;) Wasn't sure if this was the appropriate thread for it, but it seemed to fit in here rather than the OOB thread.

< Message edited by Howard Mitchell -- 7/29/2004 6:13:08 PM >

While the battles the British fight may differ in the widest possible ways, they invariably have two common characteristics – they are always fought uphill and always at the junction of two or more map sheets.

General Sir William Slim

(in reply to DrewMatrix)
Post #: 327
User Interface - 7/29/2004 7:26:12 PM   
WhoCares

Yesterday I went through my division in Taan, checking where to send them with respect to their preparation. Now one division had its target set to Lokai. I must have gone three times through all the bases in DEI, Malaya, Burma, China and PI... Maybe an two hours later while looking after KB I found it in PH
Would be nice to have that peace of information interactive and/or indepenantly a list of all bases and/or a beam me to hex/base search function.

Generally speaking, there could be more interactivity on almost all screens.

Another time I saw a sound detector on a LCU screen. What's that??? What is that thing used for? How does it affect the employment of the unit (in case it is a.k.o. Sonar, it wouldn't help to put the unit on a landlocked base)?
No information in-game and I don't think I have read about it in the manual either.
What are (S)NLF units???

As Zoom1980 already said, while messing around with the production, it would be nice to have some graphs (incl. forecast) while messing with the various parameters.

No, I don't want to have to 'google' it or post such questions here. Or wait for a fan to create an database or tools and countless Excel sheets. Such information belongs into the manual, or even better into an ingame Encyclopedia (anybody remember Sid Meier's Civilisation).

I know for sure, the latter two requests are nothing for the next patch or the patch after the patch after the pa....
But I if you ever consider to release another game of this complexity, you might consider to add some information about all the items you put in the game in some kind of information database as well. If not ingame, then at least as some kind of browsable database (could be as simple as html or xml). And I don't mean a 10 page dossier about every AK, but a general describtion of its function (AKs in general that would be ).
(Actually, you could just hire a college student for a month or three, who could create you such a database...)

(in reply to DrewMatrix)
Post #: 328
RE: User Interface - 7/29/2004 7:47:20 PM   
strawbuk

Sound detector? Really?! Not caught that yet but if there is it is aircraft detection gear; trys to focus and pick up aircraft engine noise. Not massively effective. Made redundant by radar.

Twinkle twinkle PBY
Seeking Kido Bu-tai
Flying o' the sea so high
An ill-omen in the sky
Twinkle twinkle PBY
Pointing out who's next to fry

(in reply to WhoCares)
Post #: 329
RE: User Interface - 7/29/2004 7:49:47 PM   
tsimmonds

quote:

Another time I saw a sound detector on a LCU screen. What's that??? What is that thing used for? How does it affect the employment of the unit (in case it is a.k.o. Sonar, it wouldn't help to put the unit on a landlocked base)?

Read all about sound detectors here.

quote:

What are (S)NLF units???
Special Naval Landing Force = Japanese marines (sort of....)

quote:

No, I don't want to have to 'google' it or post such questions here. Or wait for a fan to create an database or tools and countless Excel sheets. Such information belongs into the manual, or even better into an ingame Encyclopedia (anybody remember Sid Meier's Civilisation).

A game of this complexity and depth presupposes a certain level of knowledge. With all respect, may I suggest that it it your responsibility, not the makers of the game, to insure that you have it. This is not a fantasy role-playing game that requires an elaborate in-game backstory just to understand what it is all about. The backstory here is well-known, or should be. In any case, the Pacific War is thoroughly documented already. For Matrix to attempt to do so in-game would not only be redundant but would also be a waste of precious human resources that might be better employed in other ways.

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to WhoCares)
Post #: 330
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 10 [11] 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: wish list for patch Page: <<   < prev  8 9 10 [11] 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI