Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How long for a turn?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> How long for a turn? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How long for a turn? - 7/30/2004 4:10:26 PM   
lauter

I thought it would be interesting to see how long everyone takes to plan out a turn in the campaign game? Also, how many days do you make each turn?(1,3 etc.)
Post #: 1
RE: How long for a turn? - 7/30/2004 4:34:22 PM   
UncleBuck

Well Playing as Allies in Scenario 15 it took me 9 hours to plan out turn one. That includes COming up with a strategy, and deciding on where ot move who and supply routes and all. I also started the game with 3 day turns. SO The Japanese attacked, and I had two more days to watch them rampage about without my doing a thing. Most other turns take about 45 mins to an hour to set up and plan. Some less some more. It really depends on troop movements and transit times. I run all of it on three day turns.

UB

(in reply to lauter)
Post #: 2
RE: How long for a turn? - 7/30/2004 4:41:47 PM   
olivier_slith

some turns took me less than 15 m inutes because all operations are running, no new TF to start, nothing going on. I realized that I was double checking some things too many times> Once I realized that, I saved a lot of time.

(in reply to UncleBuck)
Post #: 3
RE: How long for a turn? - 7/30/2004 4:46:35 PM   
2Stepper

Depends on the defense you plan as the allies. If you respond on the fly or historically to the AI or your opponent, I've found turns taking no more then an hour. Even turn one. That'll change though as the game evolves, rest assured.

"Send in the Infantry. Tanks cost money... the dead cost nothing..." :)

(in reply to olivier_slith)
Post #: 4
RE: How long for a turn? - 7/30/2004 5:08:07 PM   
PeteG662

1 day turns to start and then as things get flowing change the day settings to run 2 or 3 at a time or even continuous. I take a long time to set up my scenario 15 turn 1 as the allies though. Sets the stage for everything else that happens from there!

(in reply to 2Stepper)
Post #: 5
RE: How long for a turn? - 7/30/2004 5:43:20 PM   
DrewMatrix

Some turns don't take long at all. There is an enormous amount going on, but much of it is TFs you sent off 2 turns ago plodding across the Pacific at 12 knots and you don't need to deal with them until they arrive.

Over the long haul, which is probably the answer you are looking for, I can get one month completed per week of real time , as Allies, Scen 15, AI=Hard, speed = 1 day. And that is not playing every spare second, but playing an hour or two a day, maybe.

Beezle - Rapidly running out of altitude, airspeed and ideas.

(in reply to PeteG662)
Post #: 6
RE: How long for a turn? - 7/30/2004 5:48:29 PM   
2ndACR

Since I am not Mog, as IJN my first turn took about 12 hours the first few times, now they take about 3 hours due to copious note taking and to do lists. less than 30 min after that.

(in reply to DrewMatrix)
Post #: 7
RE: How long for a turn? - 7/30/2004 11:49:19 PM   
lauter

Thanks...some interesting comments. The enormity of the game can definitely be intimidating. I guess it isn't for the Alpha personality, eh?

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 8
RE: How long for a turn? - 7/30/2004 11:54:52 PM   
mogami

Hi, I've done Japanese non historic turn 1 scenario 15 hundreds of times. I doubt I have ever done it in less then 12 hours.
If I use the historic turn 1 then turn 2 requires around 18 hours.

As the Allies I can "whip out" a first turn in 6 to 8 hours. Once the game gets going a turns requires the time it takes for combat and 5-15 minutes for me to do checks before going to next turn. I do between 10-20 turns per day.

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to lauter)
Post #: 9
RE: How long for a turn? - 7/31/2004 12:29:00 AM   
kaleun

quote:

Thanks...some interesting comments. The enormity of the game can definitely be intimidating. I guess it isn't for the Alpha personality, eh?

What do you mean? It IS THE mother of all games for the Alpha personalities.
Control everything everywhere

Could use some secretaries though

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to lauter)
Post #: 10
RE: How long for a turn? - 7/31/2004 12:40:33 AM   
carnifex

As the Allies my first turn takes about 30 minutes. I tool around PH to see what is burning, give some marching orders to the PI ground troops, transfer a couple of airplane groups, and hit next turn. I don't even bother looking at the Brits or the Dutch or the Chinese.

The second turn I start some supply convoys, move some Brit ground troops around Malaya and Burma, hit next next turn.

So on and so on. It takes me about a week's worth of turns to start everything going. I don't even mouseover a Chinese unit until after that.

Why? Because my theory is that there's nothing the Allies can do in the first month that will make or break the game. I couldn't care less if the PI hold out an extra couple of days, if I can get certain air out, or that a supply convoy reaches wherever now or a week later.

The only thing I worry about is reinforcing Midway, Moresby, and Noumea, and placing my CV's where the Red Sun don't shine.

The Japanese side is a different story.

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 11
RE: How long for a turn? - 7/31/2004 12:58:33 AM   
mogami

Oh lordy. What do you do when months later it comes down to having done something a day sooner? THe Japanese can capture bases in China that if the Chinese reinforce they hold.

Every day PI holds out adds a day to the arrival some where else of Japanese forces

A tanker in the SRA in 1 day can load 1k oil. (Tankers in the SRA do not need to fully load before skedaddling to Australia with that extra 1k of oil.)

An airgroup that is not attacked on day 1 could move. But instead it remains in place and is caught on day 2.

Allied ships in SRA linger while the Japanese conduct airfield attacks and are still in range as the Japanese capture airfields and transfer bombers for Naval strikes.

HQ at Manila could move towards Bataan (taking the supply with it) INstead it remains in Manila while Japanese move to Clark Field cutting the line.

Ships are bombed in port.
Escape routes are cut

The Japanese win the game via victory points and several K of these points are items that could have been prevented for just a little investment of time.

You may need to spend time early but you get it back later when you don't have to spend a lot of time organizing forces. (you've already did this) And you can do what you want more often because the forces required are still alive rather then waiting for the exact same type of unit to arrive as a replacement.

Of course everyone is free to do their turns. If a game seems more like work then fun your not going to enjoy it. I like sorting out the chaos as the Allies and I like doing the detailed planning the Japanese require. (The Allies require a great deal of detailed planning as well but first they have other things to do )

< Message edited by Mogami -- 7/30/2004 6:00:15 PM >

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to carnifex)
Post #: 12
RE: How long for a turn? - 7/31/2004 1:00:47 AM   
kaleun

Kind of the same. I try to play in a pseudohistoric role play mode.
I figure the US got caught napping, so I scramble the subs, some around the PI and DEI, some (The Pearl ones, and the long range PI ones) go to Japan, (US naval commander is p*ssed and wants payback, some go around Midway and Wake.
Britain was more ready (philosophically if not physically) So I do plan my strategic withdrawal to Singapore.
As far as China, that is a toss up; it's not as if most chinese units do what you tell them to (and those that do, prove that you shouldn't have ordered them to do whatever it is you ordered them to)

Later (Day 2-3) It's time to start getting resources out of Malaya, DEIs, and also on day 2 I initiate plan Orange, (withdraw to Bataan for most PI units) Withdraw to Clark for the HQ units. Move as much supply from Manila to Bataan via AKs.

Start the convoys moving to OZ, via undisclosed islands in the Pacific. Also get some loaded oilers to the same undisclosed islands on the Pacific. (Those convoys take forever to get anywhere BTW)

< Message edited by kaleun -- 7/30/2004 10:05:07 PM >

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to carnifex)
Post #: 13
RE: How long for a turn? - 7/31/2004 3:19:19 AM   
Titanwarrior89

About 15 or 20 minutes per turn, some longer.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 14
RE: How long for a turn? - 7/31/2004 5:40:10 AM   
Grotius

Playing as the Allies against the AI (hard), I take about 45 minutes to plot my turn and another 15 minutes to watch the replay. So an hour a turn, all told. I do about 3 or 4 turns a day.

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 15
RE: How long for a turn? - 7/31/2004 5:49:56 AM   
Mark VII

Playing PBEM #15 two day turns. First turn took many hours, now maybe 2-3 hours as everyone gets looked at. I'll get over that as I get used to the system.

(in reply to lauter)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> How long for a turn? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI