Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Persistent sound issues

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> Persistent sound issues Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Persistent sound issues - 7/30/2004 1:39:32 PM   
Jim D Burns

Just updated with the new patch, and while the game no longer crashes to desktop anymore (at least so far, I've only played through turn 1 twice since updating), some sound issues persist. During air to air and air to ground combat animations I get a squelching sound. It doesn't happen every time. My best guesstimate is it happens about 2 out of every 6 air to air or air to ground animations.

It sounds almost exactly like what your radio sounds like when you turn the tuning knob really fast past a station. I have not had stable sound, so I have no idea which sound file is trying to play when the squelching sound screeches out of my speakers. It is very annoying though, and my guess is it would turn off a casual player.

My system is a P4 2.53 Gig. 1 Gig RAM, NVIDIA Ti 4600 128 MB RAM, SB Audigy soundcard (not sure exactly which model Audigy it is anymore).

Jim

Post #: 1
RE: Persistent sound issues - 7/30/2004 2:42:46 PM   
Sonny

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim D Burns

Just updated with the new patch, and while the game no longer crashes to desktop anymore (at least so far, I've only played through turn 1 twice since updating), some sound issues persist. During air to air and air to ground combat animations I get a squelching sound. It doesn't happen every time. My best guesstimate is it happens about 2 out of every 6 air to air or air to ground animations.

It sounds almost exactly like what your radio sounds like when you turn the tuning knob really fast past a station. I have not had stable sound, so I have no idea which sound file is trying to play when the squelching sound screeches out of my speakers. It is very annoying though, and my guess is it would turn off a casual player.

My system is a P4 2.53 Gig. 1 Gig RAM, NVIDIA Ti 4600 128 MB RAM, SB Audigy soundcard (not sure exactly which model Audigy it is anymore).

Jim

Rats! That means I will still hear that darn annoying sound too since I also have an Audigy card.

Quote from Snigbert -

"If you mess with the historical accuracy, you're going to have ahistorical outcomes."

"I'll say it again for Sonny's sake: If you mess with historical accuracy, you're going to have
ahistorical outcomes. "

(in reply to Jim D Burns)
Post #: 2
RE: Persistent sound issues - 7/30/2004 2:44:50 PM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sonny

quote:

Jim

Rats! That means I will still hear that darn annoying sound too since I also have an Audigy card.

That doesn´t mean anything. I have an Audigy too and no sound issues at all even with v1.00 obviously.

(in reply to Sonny)
Post #: 3
RE: Persistent sound issues - 7/30/2004 3:05:13 PM   
guke

quote:

Same problem here (Sound Card SB Live Value). From your description I'm certain we hearing the exact same
sounds.
When I use the dial in the main menu to set Allies to Computer control, it sounds strange too.

(in reply to Jim D Burns)
Post #: 4
RE: Persistent sound issues - 7/30/2004 3:37:50 PM   
Sonny

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marc Schwanebeck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sonny

quote:

Jim

That doesn´t mean anything. I have an Audigy too and no sound issues at all even with v1.00 obviously.

Yes, but I did have sound problems with 1.00 - just like Mr. Burns.

Quote from Snigbert -

"If you mess with the historical accuracy, you're going to have ahistorical outcomes."

"I'll say it again for Sonny's sake: If you mess with historical accuracy, you're going to have
ahistorical outcomes. "

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 5
RE: Persistent sound issues - 7/30/2004 10:41:36 PM   
MG3

quote:

exactly like what your radio sounds like when you turn the tuning knob really fast past a station. I have not had stable sound, so I have no idea which sound file is trying to play when the squelching sound screeches out of my speakers. It is very annoying though, and my guess is it would turn off a casual player.

Jim

Great- I have sound problems with every soundcard I have available. Neither my Terratec nor my AC97 is playing the music right.

< Message edited by MG3 -- 7/30/2004 8:42:18 PM >

(in reply to Sonny)
Post #: 6
RE: Persistent sound issues - 7/30/2004 11:36:09 PM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

ORIGINAL: MG3

quote:

exactly like what your radio sounds like when you turn the tuning knob really fast past a station. I have not had stable sound, so I have no idea which sound file is trying to play when the squelching sound screeches out of my speakers. It is very annoying though, and my guess is it would turn off a casual player.

Jim

Great- I have sound problems with every soundcard I have available. Neither my Terratec nor my AC97 is playing the music right.

I know this reply is no help for you. But I had nothing but problems with Terretec and the AC97 in the past with multiple games / software.

Can you drop a DirectX dialog (check the sticky thread in this support forum) to support@matrixgames.com. I´ll check your prefs. You can write in german if you want

< Message edited by Marc Schwanebeck -- 7/31/2004 4:37:05 AM >

(in reply to MG3)
Post #: 7
RE: Persistent sound issues - 7/30/2004 11:45:29 PM   
MG3

quote:

Can you drop a DirectX dialog (check the sticky thread in this support forum) to support@matrixgames.com. I´ll check your prefs. You can write in german if you want
w

Awww, I had only problems with my old SB Live Card. I installed the AC97 recently because I tried to get Command: Aces of the Deep to work.

Downloading DirectX9c right now, lets see if it solves my problem. If not, I have other PCs (bit slower) where I can try WITP out.

Post #: 8
RE: Persistent sound issues - 7/30/2004 11:46:35 PM   
Erik Rutins

MG3,

Did you try the suggestions posted in the top thread yet? Thanks.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 9
RE: Persistent sound issues - 7/30/2004 11:47:34 PM   
Erik Rutins

FYI, I have both a SB Live! Value and AC97 here and both worked fine with 1.0 and 1.20. Go figure.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 10
RE: Persistent sound issues - 7/30/2004 11:49:57 PM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

ORIGINAL: MG3

quote:

w

Awww, I had only problems with my old SB Live Card. I installed the AC97 recently because I tried to get Command: Aces of the Deep to work.

Downloading DirectX9c right now, lets see if it solves my problem. If not, I have other PCs (bit slower) where I can try WITP out.

Hmm, "Command Aces of the Deep" works with my Audigy

(in reply to MG3)
Post #: 11
RE: Persistent sound issues - 7/31/2004 12:02:33 AM   
Sonny

Strange. Fired it up as Japan vs AI. Got half way through the air search phase and then CTD. Renamed SOUND TO xSOUND tried again - worked fine.

Renamed sound folder back to original name, started up as the Allies vs AI, first turn went ok (still lots of squeaks). Started up again as Japan vs AI - first turn went ok.

Quote from Snigbert -

ahistorical outcomes. "

Post #: 12
RE: Persistent sound issues - 7/31/2004 2:25:54 AM   
lauter

I just had another CTD when clicking on the Lexington...(sound on).

(in reply to Sonny)
Post #: 13
RE: Persistent sound issues - 7/31/2004 2:51:42 AM   
MG3

quote:

MG3,

Did you try the suggestions posted in the top thread yet? Thanks.

Regards,

Uhhh, no. Not yet. I am just downloading some German Comedy strips (no illegal stuff ;)) with emule. I dont want to risk my queues with another crash. Maybe I will try out WITP on my second PC which has a fast processor as well. But since I have to bake a cake for a party tomorrow and have to finish a software project for one of my customers I dont think I will have much time for testing this weekend. Oh well... :(

@Marc: got an Aureon 5.1 and CAOD seems to think its an SB Live!

< Message edited by MG3 -- 7/31/2004 12:54:47 AM >

(in reply to lauter)
Post #: 14
RE: Persistent sound issues - 7/31/2004 3:11:23 AM   
2Stepper

Okay, I have an odd suggestion. Might not even be possible, but is there any way to record say 5 seconds of the squelched sounds? I've been trying to think if I've heard anything even CLOSE to that and the closest thing I can come up with is a sound that you might think of as breaking glass (used a lil too often IMHO, but anyway...).

Just a thought... That way we can all hear and maybe someone else on the forum might have something constructive to add as well. Filesize shouldn't be too big if the bit rate is low so it could be a post attachment... Besides, I figured there's no reason we cant help each other out right?

< Message edited by 2Stepper -- 7/30/2004 7:12:48 PM >

"Send in the Infantry. Tanks cost money... the dead cost nothing..." :)

(in reply to MG3)
Post #: 15
RE: Persistent sound issues - 7/31/2004 11:16:40 AM   
guke

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

FYI, I have both a SB Live! Value and AC97 here and both worked fine with 1.0 and 1.20. Go figure.

Could it have something to do with installed audio codecs?
I have noticed that sometimes immediately after a crash I have a little icon in the task bar that
looks like a symbol for a movie player. So far I have been unable to determine what software
it belongs to because it is terminated very quickly after the crash. I can not see that icon when
I ALT-TAB out of the game while it's still running so i figure it has something to do with the crash.
I have tried to disable some of the audio codecs via the windows control panel (It looks like I
have at least two or three mp3 codecs installed). So far nothing has helped.

Also, I have the impression that the CTDs most likely occur when a new sound is about to be started.
The sound that is played when you click on a "done" button is a very reliable candidate.
Sometimes I get crashes while the scenario is being loaded. This seems to happen very often when the
music is started right before the progress bar reaches the right edge.

regards,
Gunnar

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 16
RE: Persistent sound issues - 7/31/2004 4:08:01 PM   
BlackVoid

I also have the sound problem and on the opinion that this is a codec issue.
Why?
Because it is not op system or audio card specific. I think WITP may use a codec that has a buggy driver on some systems (depending what type of codec you have).

I have Ace Mega Codec Pack 5.93 PRO. I will try to replace it with some other stuff, unfortunately uninstalling this pack can cause problems so don't know yet how.
Could we get some feedback from someone who do not have the sound issue - what type of codec pac they use (if any).
It would be also helpful if Matrix stated what codec(s) do the sounds use.

(in reply to guke)
Post #: 17
RE: Persistent sound issues - 7/31/2004 5:14:50 PM   
foliveti

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marc Schwanebeck

I know this reply is no help for you. But I had nothing but problems with Terretec and the AC97 in the past with multiple games / software.

Marc,

I have an AC97 Sound Card in my desk top and am getting terrible shrieking noises during combat air missions. Kind of sounds like a death ray form some bad sci fi movie only louder. I have a new laptop and the game works fine on it. Do you know where I can find a new driver for the AC97? I have had no luck trying to find it this weekend.

Frank

Post #: 18
RE: Persistent sound issues - 7/31/2004 5:40:28 PM   
BlackVoid

I also had the shrieking noises and CTDs.
This seems to be a codec issue, have a look at my thread in this forum about the solution.

(in reply to foliveti)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> Persistent sound issues Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI