Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Problems in Urban Combat...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Problems in Urban Combat... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Problems in Urban Combat... - 1/26/2002 12:03:00 PM   
Lost Lieutenant

I'm having trouble clearing bad guys out of buildings and wondered if anybody had any suggestions. I'd tried doing what I'd do in real life: pull some assault guns/tanks up and attempt to either level the building or suppress the enemy long enough to get my infantry in up-close and personal range. Unfortunately, I can't suppress them, so my infantry just gets smoked. And even if the building falls down around their ears, it doesn't cause them much difficulty in maintaining resistance. The only other thing I can think of is to get an unholy amount of rockets and pound them into the dirt. My I'm having doubts on whether that would work either. Any thoughts?

The Lost Lieutenant
"You can't spell 'lost' without 'LT'"
Post #: 1
- 1/26/2002 12:10:00 PM   
Redleg

I like to play Soviet. One of my favorite things is to bombard with the great little 50mm mortars. Then assault the building with at least two infantry squads in different hexes. Alternate firing so Fritz can't get 2 shots in a row at the same squad. Of course, 82mm mortars from afar work great also but I like to get up close and personal with SMG squads backed up by the 50s. If LOS is right rifle fire on the building followed by assault works good too. When possible, keep the assaulting squads moving slowly... fast movement leads to instant death.

(in reply to Lost Lieutenant)
Post #: 2
- 1/26/2002 12:58:00 PM   
Randy

LT, have you tried to cover your advance w/ smoke,
to get close? Once you do, use engineers with their flamethrowers and satchel charges. Similar to the "blowtorch and corkscrew" tactic used on Okinawa. Hope this helps.

Semper Fi
Randy

The United States Marines: America's 911 Force-The Tip of the Spear

Post #: 3
- 1/26/2002 1:21:00 PM   
Kuroshio Apocal

Just gotta go slow. Get MGs, flamethrowers, SMGs, grenades, mortars, arty, tac air, everything up to and including the field-kitchen sink concentrating on that one building, then move in some infantry, and go into melee combat. That usually takes them out of the fight. Once one stronghold is clear, move on the to the next. One step at a time. Use smoke to keep them from interlocking their fields of fire, allowing you to concentrate on reducing each stronghold as it comes up. Take extra ammo. A lot of extra ammo. Mortars, engineers, and tanks should have priority for resupply. A good rate would be 1 block per turn (assuming 5 buildings per block) against an static defense. Against a mobile defense, expect to see-saw a fair bit as they give up some positions and take back others, then the entire defense to fall apart over the course of 2 or 3 turns. Of course, by that time, you may of run completely out of infantry. Expect to take heavy losses, with extreme infantry losses. Personally, if there is a way to bypass the town, I will just say "Screw this.", surround and bypass the town. [ January 26, 2002: Message edited by: Kuroshio Apocal ]

Post #: 4
- 1/26/2002 1:44:00 PM   
Alexandra

I tend to use mortars to initially supress the enemy I'm going after unsing bigger arty for deeper intediction/softening of the next line. I also soften them up, when it's safe with tank and track MGs,then move for the kill with infantry. Melee works well, too. Remember, when fighting Russians, they can recover, in your turn, from supression, which makes them hard to root out of buildings. Alex

"Tonight a dynasty is born." Ricky Proehl, then of the Saint Louis Rams. He was right! Go Pats! Winners of Super Bowls 36, 38 and 39.

Post #: 5
- 1/26/2002 1:52:00 PM   
Tomanbeg

I've found the most important thing about city busting is keeping my platoons together, and preserving my zeros. Use Lots of Arty, in rolling barrages. When you make contact, use that platoon as a fire base, move the assault platoon thru the supporting platoon. Localise the fight by setting up fire lanes so your opponent cannot shift forces laterally. City fights take a lot of planning. The Phase line, zone attack system works well. When in contact, keep your inf off the roads. Most important is to not fight in a city unless you have to(You really really need those v-hexs. If they cost you more then they are worth, you don't need them.) Most of the time it is better to blow the hell out of the v-hexes in a city(put a batn of 75's on them for about 15 turns or until your ammo is gone, then shoot a battery of 150's and watch the enemy scurry off) and try to sneak a scout unit onto the v-hexes.
Good Luck and good hunting
T.

"The 15th May, 1948, arrived ... On that day the mufti of Jerusalem appealed to the Arabs of Palestine to leave the country, because the Arab armies were about to enter and fight in their stead."
– The Cairo daily Akhbar el Yom, Oct. 12, 1963.
[IMG]http

Post #: 6
- 1/26/2002 9:10:00 PM   
Frank W.

quote:

Originally posted by Redleg:
I like to play Soviet. One of my favorite things is to bombard with the great little 50mm mortars. Then assault the building with at least two infantry squads in different hexes. Alternate firing so Fritz can't get 2 shots in a row at the same squad. Of course, 82mm mortars from afar work great also but I like to get up close and personal with SMG squads backed up by the 50s. If LOS is right rifle fire on the building followed by assault works good too. When possible, keep the assaulting squads moving slowly... fast movement leads to instant death.

50mm mortars for dug in troops in buildings??? how long will you bombard for a good effect??

Post #: 7
- 1/26/2002 10:15:00 PM   
Alexandra

Frank, Redleg's right. 50s are great for supression in urban situations. Remember, you're not trying to kill the enemy with them - especially Ivan - you wanna suppress to the point of no return fire, then use a flame panzer/Engineer unit, or infantry melee to knock the enemy unit out. 50s are good because the platoon leader can call them in with minimal delay, as they tend to be attached, by default, at platoon level. It also frees bigger guns up for deep fire missions. Again, remember when fighting Russians that they can recover from supression during a turn, and taking casualities seems to help them do that, though I'm sure there are other factors. Alex

"Tonight a dynasty is born." Ricky Proehl, then of the Saint Louis Rams. He was right! Go Pats! Winners of Super Bowls 36, 38 and 39.

Post #: 8
- 1/27/2002 12:24:00 AM   
kkb66

I like to use a method that is very close to what the Brits called "Block Busting". The other posts have hit on most of the major points, but here it is in sequence as part of my 2 cents
First, use recon squads to find the enemy. They are harder for the enemy to see and if lost, won't cause as many KIA/MIA/Wounded. Second, call in arty support...but place it a hex or two behind and opposite of your own forces to cut down the chance of blasting your own guys to pieces. Third, use smoke to blind the enemy as you move up support units (engineers if you have them and machine guns). Use MMG/HMG units to cut off lanes of retreat or re-inforcement (usually these are the streets that form the block you are hitting) and then, afer one or two arty strikes...start to move in the support/assault units to a point where they are one hex away, but on the flanks of your target hex. When everything is in place, draw the enemy units attention by having the recon unit fire at them. (at least two bursts to get them to turn and fire back)Then, once they have turned to face the recon teams fire, hit them from the flanks with your waiting assault units. Engineers with Satchel charges or flamethrowers do the best job, but 11 or 12 man Submachine gun units will do in a pinch. Tanks are risky to use in cities, as they can be ambushed fairly easily...use them only when you know you have secured or scouted the buildings flanking the street your are sending your armor down. Use recon patrols out ahead of your main forces and a lot of smoke to mask your main units flanks, so that they will not take losses from other enemy units that may be protecting your target hex. Most big time losses come from your units blundering into a waiting enemy position or from MG's protecting lanes leading to their forward infantry positions. That's it Pretty simple, eh?

An army of sheep led by a lion would defeat an army of lions led by a sheep.

Post #: 9
- 1/27/2002 1:13:00 AM   
BjörnR

The topic is already well covered. I take the liberty to summarise the important points, in my opinion:
1. move slowly when risking to meet fire (1 hex, never 2)
2. use the mortars, 50 (or 80 mm)
3. use your engineers
4. You need several platoon to dislodge one

Post #: 10
- 1/27/2002 6:39:00 AM   
Lost Lieutenant

Thanks for all the advice. I think my problem is that I'm fighting Soviet Guard infantry, and I can't get them suppressed, like Alexandra said above. I've been using a platoon to take out a squad, usually getting almost every squad in the platoon to fire up the building, also having a couple assault guns direct fire at it. I'll try using mortars and more arty and see how that works.

The Lost Lieutenant
"You can't spell 'lost' without 'LT'"

Post #: 11
- 1/28/2002 10:51:00 PM   
panda124c

quote:

Originally posted by Lost Lieutenant:
Thanks for all the advice. I think my problem is that I'm fighting Soviet Guard infantry, and I can't get them suppressed, like Alexandra said above. I've been using a platoon to take out a squad, usually getting almost every squad in the platoon to fire up the building, also having a couple assault guns direct fire at it. I'll try using mortars and more arty and see how that works.

Back your unit up a couple of hexes, then pound the &$*^% out of them with really big guns. Then have another go at them.

Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Problems in Urban Combat... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI