Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Does Japan ever get over the supply shortage?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Does Japan ever get over the supply shortage? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Does Japan ever get over the supply shortage? - 8/4/2004 11:49:15 PM   
ZOOMIE1980

I've been a good little Jap, securing much of the SRA that has resources and oil by mid-January along with a lot of minor bases, recovered all my AK's and TKs in Osaka like good boy and set most everything not out on the front lines into the Auto Convoy system Within a week to 10 days I have dozens of little TF's running around to every little obsure base on the map with 10,000 supplies or so each. Fuel is no problem, more than enough, right now, to go around. But EVERY homeland Japanese base is now < 10,000 supply! Was going to finally upgrade a CVL A5M to A6M2 when it docked in Tokyo only to find out Tokyo has only 7,000 supply points and not enough "supply" to upgrade anything!!! In fact, only Saigon, Khota Bharu, and Truk have more the 20,000 supply on hand!!! The rest of it is all enroute somewhere, afloat on the Pacific Ocean from Sakahlin Is. to Kawejelin....

So once the first wave of auto-supply gets done, do things settle down, supply-wise or have I erred in putting everything except a small handful of frontline bases on auto-supply?
Post #: 1
RE: Does Japan ever get over the supply shortage? - 8/4/2004 11:52:52 PM   
Knavey

I have also wondered if "auto supply" really works. I don't have a game far enough along to make a determination though.

x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"

(in reply to ZOOMIE1980)
Post #: 2
RE: Does Japan ever get over the supply shortage? - 8/4/2004 11:54:31 PM   
2ndACR

I hate the auto supply feature. If I run it (yes it is a head ache) I know only the bases i want will get what I want them to have. I will not see a base in the rear requesting 1500 supply getting 10,000. Helps me keep a surplus where I want it to be. It is a bear to micro-manage everything, but otherwise I am liable to throw my computer out the window in frustration when i see some massive auto supply convoy going somewhere.

(in reply to ZOOMIE1980)
Post #: 3
RE: Does Japan ever get over the supply shortage? - 8/4/2004 11:55:43 PM   
Xargun

I refuse to use the auto-convoy. Every time I try it it loads up 3 TFs - one each turn - of the same amount of stuff and sends it to the same base... It seems to do a good job determining what a base needs, but it doesn't seem to be able to track if the target base has any TFs enroute, and keeps sending the same stuff to the same base.

Xargun

(in reply to Knavey)
Post #: 4
RE: Does Japan ever get over the supply shortage? - 8/4/2004 11:58:50 PM   
Montbrun

I gave up on the "auto-supply" feature, except for small, rear-area bases (as the allies). I load up "super-TFs" with 25 7000 capacity AKs, and 12 18000 capacity TKs to Pearl, Noumea, and Brisbane, with smaller TFs to Sydney and Suva (which I use as a staging area). If the pathing gets fixed, I might consider using this feature again...

(in reply to ZOOMIE1980)
Post #: 5
RE: Does Japan ever get over the supply shortage? - 8/4/2004 11:59:06 PM   
SunDevil_MatrixForum

quote:

but otherwise I am liable to throw my computer out the window in frustration when i see some massive auto supply convoy going somewhere.

Sorry had to link this:

http://www.servicemagic.com/category.Windows-Installation-Repair.10413.html?m=hsaf32&entry_point_id=131

http://www.rescuecom.com/index_fla.html

< Message edited by SunDevil -- 8/4/2004 2:00:28 PM >

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 6
RE: Does Japan ever get over the supply shortage? - 8/5/2004 12:10:03 AM   
DrewMatrix

Not having gotten to that point in the game, but just from the real - life war:

The IJ don't have enough of anything. So spreading what (inadequate) supplies you have so every base has the amount the regulation manual says they should have. You should put what you have in those few places that will do the most good. Having people starve on many, small bases so the people on a few, large, key bases are only hungry is likely the best you can do.

Beezle - Rapidly running out of altitude, airspeed and ideas.

(in reply to SunDevil_MatrixForum)
Post #: 7
RE: Does Japan ever get over the supply shortage? - 8/5/2004 12:16:44 AM   
ZOOMIE1980

quote:

ORIGINAL: Xargun

I refuse to use the auto-convoy. Every time I try it it loads up 3 TFs - one each turn - of the same amount of stuff and sends it to the same base... It seems to do a good job determining what a base needs, but it doesn't seem to be able to track if the target base has any TFs enroute, and keeps sending the same stuff to the same base.

Xargun

Yes, I have noticed that, too. That's a definite bug. The algorithm used in auto supply should count TF's enroute as well as on-hand. Otherwise, it seems to make a new request every day until something actually arrives and undloads and turns the red/pnk number white.

(in reply to Xargun)
Post #: 8
RE: Does Japan ever get over the supply shortage? - 8/5/2004 12:24:14 AM   
2ndACR

quote:

ORIGINAL: SunDevil

quote:

but otherwise I am liable to throw my computer out the window in frustration when i see some massive auto supply convoy going somewhere.

Sorry had to link this:

http://www.servicemagic.com/category.Windows-Installation-Repair.10413.html?m=hsaf32&entry_point_id=131

http://www.rescuecom.com/index_fla.html

HAHAHA. I resist the urge mightly and remind myself that there are kids and a dog around to kick and take out my frustration on. But usually I just go to a politics style forum and kick those people around instead. Much more enjoyment and less costly.

Post #: 9
RE: Does Japan ever get over the supply shortage? - 8/5/2004 12:25:51 AM   
foliveti

quote:

ORIGINAL: ZOOMIE1980

Yes, I have noticed that, too. That's a definite bug. The algorithm used in auto supply should count TF's enroute as well as on-hand. Otherwise, it seems to make a new request every day until something actually arrives and undloads and turns the red/pnk number white.

I thought that the manual said that auto supply would not send more than 1 or 2 convoys to the same base at the same time?

Frank

(in reply to ZOOMIE1980)
Post #: 10
RE: Does Japan ever get over the supply shortage? - 8/5/2004 12:30:09 AM   
ZOOMIE1980

quote:

ORIGINAL: foliveti

quote:

ORIGINAL: ZOOMIE1980

I thought that the manual said that auto supply would not send more than 1 or 2 convoys to the same base at the same time?

It sent FOUR TF's to Khota Bharu last time through the scenario. Now that base has a lot of engineer troops and such poised to move south, but by the time Auto Convoy was done the place had 90,000 supply built up! That happenned to be a good thing, though, that time, though. Took Singapore the next day, and the 25th Army HQ and an Air Div HQ was with them. BOOM, next day, 35,000 supply sitting in Singapore! All sucked down from there.

(in reply to foliveti)
Post #: 11
RE: Does Japan ever get over the supply shortage? - 8/5/2004 12:57:22 AM   
Lemurs!

What i liked was around the 20th of December and the Auto supply sent a convoy to Port Arthur. Now this would normally be fine because it did need supply but the computer also sent tankers and fuel even though Port Arthur already has 240,000 fuel that iwasn't using.

It was kinda funny watching one convoy of tankers dropping fuel while across the bay another convoy was loading fuel. WTF?

Mike

(in reply to ZOOMIE1980)
Post #: 12
RE: Does Japan ever get over the supply shortage? - 8/5/2004 1:01:59 AM   
Fallschirmjager

Auto convoy system is stupid and a complete waste of programming hours.

(in reply to Lemurs!)
Post #: 13
RE: Does Japan ever get over the supply shortage? - 8/5/2004 1:59:39 AM   
Montrose

In my game as scenario 9 as the Allies the Auto-Convoy routine seemed completely obsessed with Prince Rupert of all places. I had stripped everything out of there apart from one group of Cats and a base force, but it was still sending masses up to them to the point where it had 80,000 supply and San Fran had just 20,000!

I've given up and turned it off. It's a shame it doesn't really work, it would be a great help to players if it did. I've been singing the 'Who ate all the pies' song to myself, and not knowing who Prince Rupert was, am now convinced that he really was a fat *******. Yeah I know, simple things...

< Message edited by Montrose -- 8/5/2004 12:01:56 AM >

I spend my time building castles in the air, but in the end all of them, and I, blow away in the wind.

- Don Juan

(in reply to ZOOMIE1980)
Post #: 14
RE: Does Japan ever get over the supply shortage? - 8/5/2004 2:27:24 AM   
MadDawg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fallschirmjager

Auto convoy system is stupid and a complete waste of programming hours.

If it worked as described I would think it would be very useful for keeping the rear areas supplied? I havnt used it yet myself too much, but this is what i had planned to use it for. It sounds like its not up to even that task though which, if so, would be very dissapointing.

Dawg

(in reply to Fallschirmjager)
Post #: 15
RE: Does Japan ever get over the supply shortage? - 8/5/2004 2:32:19 AM   
SunDevil_MatrixForum

One good example, and it can be used in the tutorial is just to have one base engineer unit on an island. Use a transpor TF to take out all the fuel and supply. Then when that is done transport the tf to the homebase,unload it and disband it. Then set both bases to auto-suppy and see how many auto-supply TF's get created and how much supply gets dumped. This could be the base test.

(in reply to MadDawg)
Post #: 16
RE: Does Japan ever get over the supply shortage? - 8/5/2004 3:05:14 AM   
The Dude

When pLaying as ther allies i used the auto supply on some bases. It was useful i found for the backwater areas. Places with tps were kept supplied and i was free to win the war.

Post #: 17
RE: Does Japan ever get over the supply shortage? - 8/5/2004 3:10:48 AM   
SunDevil_MatrixForum

Which is what I thought the whole auto-covey system was for, backwater, behind the lines supplying. I also think it was designed more to help the allies than the Japanese. Just my opinion when you look at the distances involved for the allied player to win this game.

(in reply to The Dude)
Post #: 18
RE: Does Japan ever get over the supply shortage? - 8/5/2004 5:16:59 AM   
gdpsnake

Not only does auto supply act stupidly (we should be allowed to set the request level at each base and the computer should not "Auto' until the level falls below and then ONE TF with a TOTAL REQUEST AMOUNT) BUT they seem to sail right past, heck - almost right into Tokyo Harbor to sight see. I swear the dumbass skippers sail right into threat areas instead of obvious pathfinding around them. Of course even the Human TF's go too close. Why sail next to Japan to get to San Francisco when going by Pearl Harbor is safe?!

I spend a lot of time redirecting fleets WE NEED WAYPOINTS or smarter skippers!

Gary

Post #: 19
RE: Does Japan ever get over the supply shortage? - 8/5/2004 5:20:13 AM   
SunDevil_MatrixForum

gdpsnake,

Can you give me an example of when or why a auto-convoy would go by Tokoyo. What is their destination and their origin? Your comment does not sound like you are using auto-convoy to supply behind-the-lines bases. Just curious. But I agree on the wish for waypoints or smarter pathfinding.

(in reply to gdpsnake)
Post #: 20
RE: Does Japan ever get over the supply shortage? - 8/5/2004 5:26:35 AM   
gdpsnake

Sundevil,
I have recaptured the Phillipines and there are no threats between the US and the Phillipines I haven't eliminated. But, ALL TF's plotted from SF to the Phillipines (auto or not) drive straight across the map next to Japan before 'hooking' to the destination. Or vice-versa.
Click on any TF and then follow the TF plotted path.
Seems they should be 'smart' enough to know that Japan has lots of enemy bases but that going by Pearl, Midway, Wake or even more south through the Caroline Islands is 'realistic.' But no, let's go visit Godzilla and get eaten!

My TF's, I just replot. The auto's - I quit using them now for the most part based on the reasons already posted. But before I did, yep- auto's like Godzilla too!

Gary

Post #: 21
RE: Does Japan ever get over the supply shortage? - 8/5/2004 5:28:13 AM   
DrewMatrix

quote:

the Auto-Convoy routine seemed completely obsessed with Prince Rupert

Then take Prince Rupert off the auto-convoy list.

Hmm, looking at the picture in your avatar, ARE you Prince Rupert? Maybe that explains it.

Post #: 22
RE: Does Japan ever get over the supply shortage? - 8/5/2004 5:32:17 AM   
SunDevil_MatrixForum

gdpsnake,

Ok thanks, I have not gotten the far yet in my campaign, so I have not run into that situation. I understand where you are coming from, and yes that is a problem. Thanks for the explanation.

(in reply to DrewMatrix)
Post #: 23
RE: Does Japan ever get over the supply shortage? - 8/5/2004 5:47:43 AM   
Grotius

I never use auto-convoy. Even if it worked perfectly, I'd probably prefer to do it myself. I like the logistics in this game.

But I think part of Zoomie's question is that, even assuming he plays a perfect game of supply- and resource-distribution, is Japan always woefully short of supplies? 10K in Tokyo sounds pretty tough.

Post #: 24
RE: Does Japan ever get over the supply shortage? - 8/5/2004 5:54:25 AM   
DrewMatrix

As I understand the autoconvoy system the _only_ thing it looks at is "does that base, on my list, have twice its needed supplies". If not, it sends a convoy. It doesn't look at Tokyo to see if Tokyo as a special case is running short.

I use the auto convoy in a limited way as the Allies. I have relatively few ports on the list. Only ports that are truly in a safe rear area _and_ which I want to have reasonable supply. Some bases in out of the way places I am willing to let starve.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 25
RE: Does Japan ever get over the supply shortage? - 8/5/2004 6:01:25 AM   
Thayne

I must say that I, too, see logistics as central to the game, and manage all of my own supply. Having the computer run the supply convoys is like signing up for a game of baseball and having somebody else take your turn at bat.

(in reply to DrewMatrix)
Post #: 26
RE: Does Japan ever get over the supply shortage? - 8/5/2004 2:24:52 PM   
viking42

I'm now in 06/42 a few stories about how the autosupply runs more and more crazy:

-I took suva, nice place to roam around: There are about five TF unloading and loading supplies continuously and i have still not taken the time to figure out what the f*** they where doing.

-One base on the little land stroke between borneo and java is constantly harassed by supply TF (between four and six everytime), some of them are loading oil but most of them just dock and undock for nothing (while there is still a lot of oil there), it seems that the AI believes it's the only place to get oil from..

-I am manualy bringing all the oil from borneo to bangkok and taiwan and the automaticsupply is everytime passing behind, loading the stuff and bringing it to Osaka, which has already plenty (i upgraded bankok and thai HI to get it closer to the oil production)

I am absolutely not happy with the autosupply AI but i have not the courage to do it all by myself

< Message edited by viking42 -- 8/5/2004 1:41:53 PM >

(in reply to Thayne)
Post #: 27
RE: Does Japan ever get over the supply shortage? - 8/5/2004 3:09:14 PM   
Sonny

quote:

ORIGINAL: Thayne

I must say that I, too, see logistics as central to the game, and manage all of my own supply. Having the computer run the supply convoys is like signing up for a game of baseball and having somebody else take your turn at bat.

No its not. It is like playing a game of baseball where somebody else drags all the bats and balls and bases to the game so you get to bat.

Quote from Snigbert -

"If you mess with the historical accuracy, you're going to have ahistorical outcomes."

"I'll say it again for Sonny's sake: If you mess with historical accuracy, you're going to have
ahistorical outcomes. "

(in reply to Thayne)
Post #: 28
RE: Does Japan ever get over the supply shortage? - 8/5/2004 3:46:14 PM   
Montrose

D'Oh he's that Prince Rupert is he. Rupert of the Rhine, Royalist cavalry commander . I should have guessed, but I never knew he had admirers in Canada.

Many thanks Beezle, I did turn it off from Auto Convoy in the end. Still, I would love to know why the Auto Convoy AI was so insistant that the local Canuckians had to be three times as well fed as their US allies down south

I spend my time building castles in the air, but in the end all of them, and I, blow away in the wind.

- Don Juan

(in reply to DrewMatrix)
Post #: 29
RE: Does Japan ever get over the supply shortage? - 8/5/2004 4:49:01 PM   
maddog0606

Right now I am playing the Allies. Will not play the Japanese till I get better with the game.

For allied auto-supply I have only enabled it for the backwater (rear area) bases. My rear area bases right now are: Noumea, Espiritu Santo, Efate, Suva, Canton Island, Brisbane, Pear Harbor, Midway, Andaman Island, and that big island off India. Everything else gets special attention by me if I think it needs it.

Although I did see an auto convoy come out of Kirachi for some destination starting with S (I had now idea where, and am pretty sure I did not enable that location in the auto convoy system). The thing was, when I clicked on this convoy to see where this place was the convoy was going from Kirachi to Pearl Harbor. That was a definit no no, so I rerouted it to Andaman Island.

(in reply to Montrose)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Does Japan ever get over the supply shortage? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI