Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Yahoo Watchtower arrived today!!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Yahoo Watchtower arrived today!!! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Yahoo Watchtower arrived today!!! - 1/29/2002 6:22:00 AM   
mogami

Greetings, 1400 a knock at the door, it's the nice man from UPS. I now have 2 new shiney CD's Lost Victories and Watchtower. First stop (being a Watchtower battle designer guess where I go?)
First orders capture Tulagi. I lose nearly 50percent of my men. 6315/3358 draw boy is Vandy mad. (to illustrate how fierce the fighting was the Col has 2 kills and the company commander 3) Now it's night and the boys are dug in for the night, nothing much is supposed to happen.
Think I'll go take a peek at the Eastern Front.
Yahoo [ January 28, 2002: Message edited by: Mogami ]

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
Post #: 1
- 1/29/2002 7:53:00 AM   
Bing

I got MCLV this morning, installation went smooth as silk and I"m having a ball with the first battle. Hope you have as much fun with Watchtower as I am with Lost Victories. BTW, I have ben meaning to ask: Are you Mogami Class (IJN Heavy Cruiser) or just Mogami?? Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 2
- 1/29/2002 8:21:00 AM   
11Bravo

I recently got Watchtower as well. My men voted for the little island of Gavutu. Getting ashore was tough, even with smoke and a rolling barrage from our Destroyer. Enemy mortars keep peeling off men and keeping us suppressed. But on we go, its a blast. MCLV is a ball. The first 3 battles were suspenseful as all heck. That river crossing was fun. Had light casualties and earned a DV, but that was only because of a good plan, good execution, and excellent luck. Took the engineers, though if I had it to do again I would have taken the extra artillary. Next 2 were a MV and another DV. Only lost 1 core unit in the 3 battles, and my CO earned a kill fighting off an ambush. After I do my 3 on Watchtower, I will restart MCNA and humiliate myself some more. I know infantry pretty well. Armor is a mystery to me...

Squatting in the bush and marking it on a map.

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 3
- 1/29/2002 8:36:00 AM   
Bing

There ain't that much to armor. You shoot at the other guy, he shoots at you. If you and he are roughly equal in terms of main armament and armor plate, whoever gets the better hit blows the opponent into the next county. Sneak up and whack'em from the rear if you can. Cover'em with smoke and pepper'em with everything including the kitchen sink, they get discouraged, they really will, at the very least you got'em trying to control their collective bladders whilst you get behind'em. Then whack'em again and keep whacking them until you get a smoking hulk. Otherwise, get an 88 and edit the crews to a level of uebermensch, that will kill everything out there. More than one designer has done it. Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 4
- 1/29/2002 10:20:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Way to go, gentlemen. These are sterling reports from both fronts. Enjoy! Bing, always good to get your comments. I'm delighted the MCs are going okay for you...well, even with the losses suffered. Tighten up, men! It is going to get rougher. Mogami, don't sleep too soundly on Tulagi! You may get a rude awakening Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 5
- 1/29/2002 10:27:00 AM   
mogami

Hi WB, I woke up and earned a Bronze Star. One poor sqd of Marines was lost when they were over ran but otherwise is was not too bad. Now we are ditty bopping over to the left, seems the General wants us to clear out some kind of plantation before night. Must be something interesting since he is actually giving us 20 turns to get the job done.

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 6
- 1/29/2002 1:31:00 PM   
Grenadier

You didn't choose Gavutu & Tanambogo? No stomache for cave clearing? Bing, glad you are enjoying LV. Are you learning anything from the documents?

Brent Grenadier Richards

[url=http://

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 7
- 1/29/2002 3:48:00 PM   
mogami

Hello, well we cleared the coconut farm and it would have been a glorius day all around except that Col Collins couldn't stay in the rear with the gear like a good Col should. Always up front 'inspiring' the men. The Japs scored 400 points today. USMC Col's are worth over 200 points. Oh well maybe when he comes back from sickbay he'll stay back more (NOT!!!) He likes to direct the mortar fire. But he got too close to a Jap Labour Squad ("I thought it was suppressed" he groaned as we carried him to the rear)
OK anyone know how to load more then one unit onto a Higgins boat? I only ask because at the moment a Jap Battalion is about to over run on of my platoons sent to provide security for some silly G-2 man (actually if I recall correctly the USMC does not use G-1. G-2, G-3, G-4 they use S-1, S-2,S-3, S-4 for admin.supply,Intell whatevers)
but I don't know about WW2 period. Anyway about these boats, using the boat I click the load icon and can pick up one unit. But if you try that a second time it tells you 'can't unload here' If you use load icon on the squad it says 'too far away' I think I can get everyone to a boat but I don't know how to load them all, also there are two exits in the water one ssys Troop the other boat I have to figure these out too. (maybe I should stop sleeping during the briefings?) (Gee look ma, another all nighter playing SPWaW) [ January 29, 2002: Message edited by: Mogami ]

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 8
- 1/29/2002 10:01:00 PM   
mao

You can only load 1 unit at a time into the Higgins boats. I just finished that scenario myself on saturday, and I came very close to losing my commander! I doubt you can get all your men off the beach, just sacrifice some to delay the Japs and, if you are lucky, they will survive. I did manage to get my A0 squad off (but down to only 2 men...) who were pinned down on the beach for most of the scenario, a lot of my men were overrun and died trying to save their comrades . Try to make sure you capture the 'documents' and get your Higgins boats and PT boat off the map and you should get a DV. Oh... (edited) ...you send your boats to the troop exit, unload them there and then at the end of the scenario send your empty bots to the boat exit - that way you will get more points. [ January 29, 2002: Message edited by: mao ]

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 9
- 1/30/2002 12:21:00 AM   
Bing

Brent - What I'm getting is no sound from the second battle "Options here ..." - worked OK for the first battle, I miss the guy who says "Ze vurd iz ...." - Dortmund? OK, what does "Dortmund" mean? If I DID get the announcements, fanfares, whatever, would I find out? Sound in-game works fine. Great, actually, I've got two complete systems hooked up to my TB Santa Cruz and the arty barrages are as noisy as anything anyone in their right mind would want! BTW, why does the Russian guy keep yelling "Mooey!!"? Is this the Russian equivalent of Donald Duck's nephews Huey, Dewey and Louie? There is also the "Log.txt File That Ate Gaylord, Michigan". Not the installation logfile.txt, the one that records everything BUT the barrage results, which is what I've always wanted. I played one battle yesterday and log.txt reached 8 Meg proportions. Took it out, it is right back there today - I haven't played yet, just looked at the second battle and we are up to nearly 250 Kb. Do I have to take this silly file out of there very single day - if I left it in would it eventually consume the 22 Gig left on my HD? What in the world other than carelessness causes a file like this to be active? Looks to me like a file used during development that should have been taken out of the retail CD. How do I get rid of the darn thing? Delete it nine times a day? Is there a trick to get the anouncements et al sound to play more than once? Obviously I have the correct files, or the very first one wouldn't have played, right? I can't back up to that point right now, but I will save files outside the LV dir for the next one, maybe I can recreate the sound - no sound. Bing

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 10
- 1/30/2002 3:10:00 AM   
mogami

Hi, thanks Mao the battle ended before I could get everyone off. Capt Ringwald and a recon patrol were still on the beach. All the boats were still on the map. The documents got away (I think it said they were worth 600 points. I wasted the turns I needed trying to figure out the boats. It was a draw. Interesting choice now faces me....all the next missions are battles I designed (LOL)

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 11
- 1/30/2002 3:35:00 AM   
11Bravo

Bing, Two things helped me to get the audio briefing. First make sure all .wav files are in the SND subdirectory of SPWAW. The second thing is to wait a while before making choices and playing. I found one briefing after some music played for a while. If I didn't wait for the music to finish, I would have missed the briefing. Here is a debugging tip that works to find what files are being accessed by the megacampaign. I use this to find what node I am playing, so I can use the mapthing utility. Go into Windows Explorer, find a directory where the files that interest you are, click View>Details, then right click the gray bar above the files, and select "Accessed", sorting this column shows you the last time a file was accessed by the operating system. Useful for finding .wav files, .dat files, etc. used by the megacampaign at some instance in time.

Squatting in the bush and marking it on a map.

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 12
- 1/30/2002 3:59:00 AM   
Wild Bill

The Goettge (pronounced Getgee)Patrol scenario requires some planning in chaos. Mao hit it on the head. Since only one unit can be loaded at a time on the Higgins boats, you must take them to the troop exit, dump them on the exit hex and then head back for more. You MUST time it so that you can get your boats off in time. The key is twofold. You must get those documents (the victory objective in front of Goettge) no matter the cost. The first one there gets it. Once you have it, the Japanese can't get it back. Next, you must plan how to exit what remains of the Goettge unit without losing all of it. As a part of this, you must exit as many units as possible. HEY! That is a lot ! Yep. But you are Marines. Save those troops! Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 13
- 1/30/2002 7:25:00 AM   
Grenadier

Hi Bing, sorry I am not the one to ask these questioins. Try autosaving and shutting down before the end of each node then restart your computer to see if the file plays. You get one chance to hear the sound files, at the beginning of each node after you click on read reports abnd select options. Most of the files are a mix of music and dialogue and are up to 1:30 long. In answer to Dortmund, you may not be reasding the briefings thoruoghly or all of the briefings. Several cover more than 1 screen as do most of ther documents. This is an excerpt to the briefing from node 1... General Henrici addresses his officers in a quiet voice. He confirmed that the fourth rumor was about to become a reality that any day now the code word Dortmund would be issued which would launch the German Army on Operation Barbarossa the planned invasion of the Soviet Union. Henrici also stated that another code word, Altona, would mean the invasion is called off. After addressing the officers each of them went to see their battalion and Regiment of commanders to get their individual orders...

Brent Grenadier Richards

[url=http://

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 14
- 1/30/2002 7:48:00 AM   
Bing

Thanks for the replies. All the sound files are exactly where they ought to be. Looks like no one really knows why the log.txt file is there. It just keeps growing, and growing, and growing. I'm going to leave today's log.txt alone and see just how big it will get. I"m not upset or anything, I realliy don't understand why anyone would leave this in a distribution coy of the game. Bing

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 15
- 2/5/2002 7:45:00 AM   
mogami

Hello, General Vandergrift is one very hard to please commander. I capture all objectives with light loss (except for that engineer squad who found a 25mm AA gun-it zapped the entire squad in 1 shot) In the time assigned and he calls it a draw. After every battle he calls me in and chews me out (the big meanie) Whats he want? I'm just a poor 1st Louie. The Colonel never came back after his adventure with the Labour Squad. Now it seems there is to be a Japanese assault on our positions tonight. HeeHaw my boys are going to vent some frustration. [ February 04, 2002: Message edited by: Mogami ]

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 16
- 2/5/2002 8:28:00 AM   
Lou

Yep, Watchtower is a keeper. I'm almost done with it. Of course, I'm not sure if I'm done with the game or done physically, emotionally, spiritually... Geez, I thought from Utah to the Rhine was tough. Downside: JA squads must be killed. They don't rout or retreat back to cover like some of our more civilized European opponants. Upside: The Thompson SMG makes fairly quick work of this at close quarters. Cut a JA squad out from the herd with on USMC squad and finish it off with others...all the while making sure your morters keep his friends busy so you can work uninterrupted. L

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 17
- 2/6/2002 9:41:00 AM   
BruceAZ

quote:

Originally posted by Mogami:
Hello, General Vandergrift is one very hard to please commander. I capture all objectives with light loss (except for that engineer squad who found a 25mm AA gun-it zapped the entire squad in 1 shot) In the time assigned and he calls it a draw. After every battle he calls me in and chews me out (the big meanie) Whats he want? I'm just a poor 1st Louie. The Colonel never came back after his adventure with the Labour Squad. Now it seems there is to be a Japanese assault on our positions tonight. HeeHaw my boys are going to vent some frustration. [ February 04, 2002: Message edited by: Mogami ]
Hi Mog: Old Gen Vandy can be a real a$% but the bad news is it can get worse. The good news is some scens are a REAL challenge but doable if you think tactically! Wait till you get the Whaling units. Those guys were BAD dudes! Good hunting and remember to call for SMOKE! Bruce
Semper Fi

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Yahoo Watchtower arrived today!!! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI