Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

will WaW go modern

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> will WaW go modern Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
will WaW go modern - 7/22/2004 4:13:45 AM   
six0seven

i just got spcamo3
...didnt know that exsisted, but i like the format of WaW little better, so is WaW going to go modern?
Post #: 1
RE: will WaW go modern - 7/22/2004 5:00:07 AM   
Hexed Gamer

And the envelope please. drum roooooollllll.

Nope.

The code SPWaW is based off of wouldn't cooperate. It was tried, and the attempt was called Moderna, and they hit it with a hammer several times, and it still didn't work.

The plan is to make us wait till they get Combat Leader under way and make a "Modern" module through it.

Essentially speaking, if you need your modern fix right now, you have to use SPMBT for it and whatever is required of you to run SPMBT.
Worst case scenario, if you are running Win 2000, you will need a different OS seems to be the preferred reply. Runs in XP though.

(in reply to six0seven)
Post #: 2
RE: will WaW go modern - 7/23/2004 5:21:30 AM   
six0seven

i have SPcamo3
is that different than SPMBT?
if so where can i get SPMBT?

(in reply to Hexed Gamer)
Post #: 3
RE: will WaW go modern - 7/23/2004 6:07:38 AM   
Hexed Gamer

Terminology error detected hehe.

No you don't have SPCamo3 any more than you have Matrix Games 8.2 :)

SP Camo is the name of the group that created both SPWW2 ie Steel Panthers World War 2 a conversion of the original SSI Steel Panthers, and SPMBT ie Steel Panthers Modern Battle Tank a conversion of the original SSI Steel Panthers 2 Modern Battles

It appears you recently downoloaded SPMBT version 3 which is a recent release from SP Camo.
They also recently released SPWW2 version 7, not to be confused with Matrix Games release of SPWaW version 8.2 (not the same game).

(in reply to six0seven)
Post #: 4
RE: will WaW go modern - 8/8/2004 4:38:23 AM   
Big Bill

Will SPMBT latest version now work with XP???

Post #: 5
RE: will WaW go modern - 8/9/2004 12:15:03 AM   
Hexed Gamer

SPMBT v2 worked with XP, just as v3 does, but when I say "works" it should be understood that I have not gained peace with the mouse sluggishness issue.

Thus, while it plays fine otherwise, using the mouse is a bummer.

< Message edited by Hexed Gamer -- 8/9/2004 1:19:02 AM >

(in reply to Big Bill)
Post #: 6
RE: will WaW go modern - 8/9/2004 3:10:25 AM   
KG Erwin

Thanks for explaining that, Les. I actually d/l SPWW2, and after trying it, I'll, uh, defer my comments. I will state that it's a freakin shame that these guys elected to go their own way. Their talents could've only improved the Windows version of SPWaW, but it was not to be. 'Tis a shame when egos take precedence over doing something for the community's common good.

Post #: 7
RE: will WaW go modern - 8/9/2004 3:30:24 AM   
Hexed Gamer

The issue with SP Camo's versions is more a headache when a person refuses to employ more than one OS, or absolutely refuses to change from one particular OS.

I used 98SE and thought it was "ok" even including blue screens (I can almost remember a blue sceren eh).

Then came XP into my life, an OS so brain dead easy to employ, I no longer have to whine to my guru buddies to help fix my system when it either goes nuts or I wreck it through uninspired fiddling.

It is easy to bad mouth XP, until you mention it is brain dead easy to use period.
Won't play one particular game, oh the OS must suck.
Security issues, oh the OS must suck.

Formatting and installing XP is a function requiring no thought. I like that. Because if anything goes wrong from either a virus, my fiddling whatever, I simply format and start new.

Fres start fixes a host of nuisances I find.

Sooooooo XP rules, even if it won't play a couple of my games effortlessly.

Now some think the answer is dual boot.
Tried that, but if you want to format, it means the dual boot gets messed up. Just a bit to much work there actually.
I don't own to actual hard drives (would be handy).

No, my idea of the best solution, just get a second fully functional case.

Presto, load 98SE and then play the persnickity games on it.
A junker computer, something 3-5 years old has almost no dollar value. Odds are a new game is worth more than a PII system.
So what you have to unplug keyboard and mouse and monitor and plug into the other case to play the game. I mean it takes 1 minute if you go slowly eh.
I just dump the case beside other one, play till I don't need it, then put it back to being a foot rest till next time :)

It is the ONLY simple quick out there. No mastering odd programs or adjusting settings. Just play the game in the last OS it liked.

Thus, I am enjoying SPMBT v3 and SPWW2 v7 excellently at the moment hehe.
Anything else, is just doing it the hard way :)

Someday I might be playing Combat Leader Modern. I will just go on playing SPMBT till then.

< Message edited by Hexed Gamer -- 8/9/2004 1:33:47 AM >

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 8
RE: will WaW go modern - 8/9/2004 6:22:12 PM   
vulkansanex

If one day someone decides to bring SP:Modern Battles up to scratch - please make it so that helicopers can be affected by artillery fire :)

Flying flottillas of Mi'6s through pouring artillery rain with no care in the world is good fun, but slightly off putting at the same time.

Post #: 9
RE: will WaW go modern - 8/9/2004 6:41:04 PM   
Jim1954

Hexed, it's even simpler when you use a device such as this:

http://www.altex.com/product_info.php?products_id=3393

Switch boxes in about 2 seconds. Do a virus scan on 1 and play on the other while the 1st one does it's maintenance.

Jim1954
KMC/T

(in reply to vulkansanex)
Post #: 10
RE: will WaW go modern - 8/9/2004 7:38:50 PM   
Hexed Gamer

That device might be a good solution as you say Jim.

Currently though, picking up the case and swaping cables is really not a major hassle for me :)

(in reply to Jim1954)
Post #: 11
RE: will WaW go modern - 8/9/2004 7:41:06 PM   
Hexed Gamer

vulkansanex, anything that involves actually affecting the game at the code level is greatly unlikely.

Most of what has been done to the game (to my knowledge) has been more a matter of fussing with numbers in settings, more than actually altering the actual game itself.

I don't for instance ever expect to see the mouse issue fixed.

I never expect to see tanks drive in reverse, one of the more well known complaints of the game.

Post #: 12
RE: will WaW go modern - 8/10/2004 12:32:01 AM   
vulkansanex

Is this because the code is to hard to rip apart without risking a total collapse?
Or are there rights issues perhaps in the codebase - so it can be tweaked and added to but not changed, do you think??

I'm dreaming of a 1pt cost per rotation of static vehicles :)
To stop them turning around like carousels when being attacked and ambushed from different directions - So that a player actually can plan an ambush properly. It would also separate tanks (with their moving turrets) from the assault guns nicely.

Dream on.. Dream on..

Anyway . I waffled enough about this in my introduction post. Shutting up now.

Still wonder have been made since the old SPWAWs - And I play no other wargame.. This is my all tim efavourite..

Post #: 13
RE: will WaW go modern - 8/10/2004 2:15:46 AM   
Hexed Gamer

I only know from inference through other comments, that SSI allows Matrix Games and SP Camo to just "give away" the game, but that each and every alteration or patch must also be free as well.

I think where code is concerned, you would really just have to find someone "willing" enough to want to sink their fangs into it and actually want to.

Me for instance, I know nothing of programming, so it would not be me hehe.
I just play em :)

Post #: 14
RE: will WaW go modern - 8/10/2004 11:13:58 AM   
serg3d

If SPWaW would go open sourced there will be some undertakers I think. But that is the question of licensing - do matrixgames have rights to distribute source code ? And even if they do they are unlikly would open it - they would lose abilty to sell content (mega-campins) for forked versions. Without opened sources no one would bother with modifying the game.

Post #: 15
RE: will WaW go modern - 8/10/2004 11:22:21 AM   
vulkansanex

Hexed - If I was only a programmer instead of an artist/designer.
Come to think of it, no. Them coders are way too eccentric. It would not suit me.

Still - I've been aching to do something about those darn SPWAW roads - they need a face lift.
However since they overlap in the corners at times, making anything that isn't nondescript is a challenge.
Got to find time to try some more - Maybe if i wrote shorter posts..

Besides playing is more fun. And moaning is really, really easy :)

Post #: 16
RE: will WaW go modern - 8/10/2004 11:33:22 AM   
Belisarius

The graphics can be modded - look at RockinHarry's efforts to enhance terrain features.

Got StuG?

Post #: 17
RE: will WaW go modern - 8/10/2004 5:55:59 PM   
Hexed Gamer

To my knowledge, the software used to make Megas, has nothing to do with the software of the core game.

That I can not comment on.

But, I don't think having total access to the core game code, would have any negative effect on the Megas code.

Man if I had enough money, what I would enjoy doing....with someone else's talents hehe.

(in reply to Belisarius)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> will WaW go modern Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI