Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Infantry fighting from halftracks

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Infantry fighting from halftracks Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Infantry fighting from halftracks - 8/9/2004 1:58:33 AM   
vulkansanex

Has anyone ever tried to simulate loaded infantry being able to fire from their halftracks?

Is there any way of adding weapons - say a rifle platoons main weapon (Main and last - being grenades would be superb)?
I guess to answer my own question - NO. If there were we'd have done it years ago...

The main code must be utterly fixed, and as it seems from all the posts over the years, very restrictive.
Is this due to there being no qualified coders on the SPWAW team or are there rights issues with messing with the original sourcecode? ( I should guess it's the latter, as all the talent in the world seem to be helping out with the game.)

So the only way would be to have "loaded halftrack" variants of the regular unloaded ones- something the allready overfull units lists won't allow. Could be done for special scenarios I guess, but there be no way to unload without still having "mounted troops" fighting from the vehicles - as the weapons would still be on the halftrack.

Hmm.. not a very constructive post this..
Post #: 1
RE: Infantry fighting from halftracks - 8/9/2004 2:31:22 AM   
KG Erwin

Infantry firing on the move--for all the great features of SPWaW, this is not one of them. Sorry, my friend, this one has never been nor will ever be in the game. Infantry only fires when it's dismounted, NOT on the move, a feature that goes back to the old Avalon Hill boardgame Panzerblitz. This is another one of the things that confirms SPWaW as a wargame, NOT a simulation.

(in reply to vulkansanex)
Post #: 2
RE: Infantry fighting from halftracks - 8/9/2004 3:24:04 AM   
vulkansanex

No.. Didn't think so, But Thanks. It is one of the wargames out there that best simulate WWII tactics at platoon level I think. Or am I brainwashed for having played it almost daily from good 'ol SP 1. Well Typhoon of Steel (Um and Kampfgruppe before that)??

In the beginning, of course it used to be the Tiger I - Now I'd say the halfrack is my most favourite/vital game winning SPWAW vehicle - getting the grunts to where they are needed in a hurry. Even without letting a few of them taking pot shots over the sideboards :)

Thanks for a great WARGAME - and an enlightning forum.
vulkan

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 3
RE: Infantry fighting from halftracks - 8/9/2004 3:42:24 PM   
M4Jess

However,

You can "add" inf weapons to the HTs such as rifles ect..

Jess

Im making war, not trouble~

(in reply to vulkansanex)
Post #: 4
RE: Infantry fighting from halftracks - 8/9/2004 5:37:11 PM   
Wild Bill

We're dealing with a reality issue here. Throughout history, when an infantry carrying vehicle, truck, half track and even the legendary M-113, the first thing that infantry wants to do when it comes under fire is get out of that confined space. That is natural. They feel like ducks in a shooting gallery.

Even though the fire may not initially be deadly, who knows what kind of round is coming in next, perhaps a panzerfaust! Best to get out.

Another issue is that infantry small arms fire from a vehicle such as a halftrack would be very inaccurate. There were no "portholes" as such. This means exposing yourself over the side of the vehicle against an enemy you can't even see till you do.

So in reality, infantry remaining in a halftrack and firing is not realistic. Even in Nam, infantry preferred riding on top of the M-113 as opposed to riding inside of it. Mines and RPGs meant instant death for those caught inside in an ambush.

I think the restriction is a legitimate one.

Of course, as Jess suggests, you can add weapons to the arsenal of the Halftrack to at least partially simulate infantry fire. The down side is that when the infantry dismounts, the halftrack still has those extra weapons thus continuing the unrealistic approach to the historical situation.

Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to M4Jess)
Post #: 5
RE: Infantry fighting from halftracks - 8/10/2004 10:49:59 AM   
Belisarius

Good input, Kunel.

As for the M-113, doesn't it have a completely closed troop compartment? Then I can doubly understand why the troops in question fancies riding on top instead.

Troop carriers with open tops are less of a death trap when it comes to mines and RPGs, but instead vulnerable to just about everything that can be chucked inside...if they don't sport a canvas top.

Got StuG?

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 6
RE: Infantry fighting from halftracks - 8/10/2004 9:12:48 PM   
Riun T

I had this kind of discussion whit gunny on the chat just a week ago I still think there is lots of room for things like bazzoka's and snipers who also by trait get the elevation on any battlefield even if it ment beein the only fool who wanted to stand on the tank for view and direction of battle, even the availablity to let a sniper or infantry who threw battle experience like an inf. machinegunner who may be a better shot, to man the halftracks bow gun while they ride.? Or the like of covering the tank that your riding from those pesky molitov chuckers in a city envirnment the russians had TutSpuki for these jobs,or why can't ya sit a couple of engineers on the treadwells to direct you're driver threw mines at say 1/4 movement rate, I know that a lot of my questions are kinda huge considering I know SPIT about programin,but I am a vet and I do know how much I love this game anyway,and part of advancement of the industry is gonna have us in it so, better to ask and learn.
Love being able to post in the first place..................KEEP TALKIN later RT

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Infantry fighting from halftracks Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI