Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How to play Gen Ed MCs with SPWaW 5?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Mega-Campaigns for SP:WaW >> How to play Gen Ed MCs with SPWaW 5? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How to play Gen Ed MCs with SPWaW 5? - 8/11/2004 4:51:27 PM   
mgardner

I purchased SPWaW v8.2 General's Edition with all 4 mega campaigns and am really having a fun time with Screaming Eagles. I understand that the older MCs will have compatibility problems with the OOBs from v8.2 and before I start one I want to try to get it working with an older, more appropriate version of SPWaW. I want to try Lost Victories next, so I downloaded SPWaW v5 and upgraded it to v5.2, then copied all the files from General Edition folders MegaCam and MegaCam\Lost Victories to my SPWaW v5.2 directories. As soon as I select the MegaCampaign option from the menu though, I get the message "HALT! Only registered owners may proceed beyond this point" and am returned to the main menu.

Any suggestions on how to get the older Mega Campaigns to work with older versions of SPWaW?

Thanks,

Matt
Post #: 1
RE: How to play Gen Ed MCs with SPWaW 5? - 8/11/2004 6:13:29 PM   
Procrustes

Hi,

I believe that Lost Victories and Watchtower were initially released with version 7.1 of SPWAW - you may want to try that instead. (Only Desert Fox used version 5.)

BTW, I got both Lost Victories and Watchtower running with version 8.1, though I didn't play with them much there. (Kept a copy of 7.1 loaded for them instead.) I have spent very little time with version 8.2, so I can't give you much insight into problems with the megacamps there.

HTH. Best,

Procrustes

(in reply to mgardner)
Post #: 2
RE: How to play Gen Ed MCs with SPWaW 5? - 8/11/2004 8:20:46 PM   
#Vassago

Does anybody know where I can get my hand on a copy of the 7.1 version of SPWAW? It`s nowhere to eb found on the net with google.

Thanks!

< Message edited by #Vassago -- 8/11/2004 6:24:45 PM >

(in reply to mgardner)
Post #: 3
RE: How to play Gen Ed MCs with SPWaW 5? - 8/12/2004 12:13:20 AM   
Procrustes

Well, you can get the 7.1 OOB's here: http://fprado.com/armorsite/sp_waw.htm

(It's a good site - check it out.)

Thing is that the MECH.EXE file has been updated since v7.1, too. I don't know where to find the full game anymore, though I'm sure someone else here does. Post your question again on the main SPWAW page if noone else answers.

(If someone buys only Lost Victories or Watchtower - not the General's Edition - does it still come with version 7.1?)

(in reply to #Vassago)
Post #: 4
RE: How to play Gen Ed MCs with SPWaW 5? - 8/12/2004 5:21:22 AM   
Major Destruction

Only the OOB's should affect how the mega campaigns work. If you keep a copy of your various versions of the OOB's in seperate directories you should be able to play the various Mega Campaigns with the mech.exe of version 8.2 or 7.1 or 5.0.

The best idea is to install the OOB's from v5.0 for desert fox and 7.1 for the LV and WT MC's.
Screaming Eagles works with version 8.2

So you only need to have three sets of OOB's saved in seperate directories.

Now, to play Desert Fox, copy your v5 OOB's to the main folder and overwrite the OOB's that are there already. When you finish playing and decide to play for example Watchtower, copy the version 7.1 OOB's to the main directory and continue playing.

Then to play your pbem in version 8.2, copy the v8.2 OOB's to the main directory.

So long as your OOB directories remain unedited or compromised, your PBEM and Mega campaign experiences will not be upset.

They struggled with a ferocity that was to be expected of brave men fighting with forlorn hope against an enemy who had the advantage of position......knowing that courage was the one thing that would save them.

Julius Caesar, 57 BC

(in reply to Procrustes)
Post #: 5
RE: How to play Gen Ed MCs with SPWaW 5? - 8/12/2004 5:56:30 AM   
#Vassago

Hi Major Destruction !

If you are right and only the OOBs affect the MCs. Do you know where I can get the OOBs v5?

Thanks

(in reply to mgardner)
Post #: 6
RE: How to play Gen Ed MCs with SPWaW 5? - 8/12/2004 7:07:50 AM   
Major Destruction

I can email them to you if you pm me your email address.

They struggled with a ferocity that was to be expected of brave men fighting with forlorn hope against an enemy who had the advantage of position......knowing that courage was the one thing that would save them.

Julius Caesar, 57 BC

(in reply to #Vassago)
Post #: 7
RE: How to play Gen Ed MCs with SPWaW 5? - 8/12/2004 4:16:05 PM   
mgardner

Thanks for the replies, I will try substituting the OOBs into v8.2 tonight.

I found SPWaW v5.01 at ftp://ftp.edome.net/demot/strategia_ja_sotapelit/

There are also patches to get from v5.01 -> v5.2 -> v6.1 -> v7.0

Thanks,

Matt

< Message edited by mgardner -- 8/12/2004 2:27:39 PM >

(in reply to mgardner)
Post #: 8
RE: How to play Gen Ed MCs with SPWaW 5? - 8/13/2004 9:50:22 PM   
SSBlick

I' ve been playing Lost Victories on Ver8.2 without a problem so far. I'm only about 5 or 6 scenarios in. Am I going to have a problem later?

(in reply to mgardner)
Post #: 9
RE: How to play Gen Ed MCs with SPWaW 5? - 8/13/2004 11:31:41 PM   
Voriax

You'll encounter some funny looking units, like lewis lmg teams that look like trucks. But nothing really crippling.

Voriax

Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!

(in reply to SSBlick)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Mega-Campaigns for SP:WaW >> How to play Gen Ed MCs with SPWaW 5? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI