Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OOB Comments

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: OOB Comments Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OOB Comments - 8/9/2004 6:10:15 AM   
fbastos

Unit 2141, 101st USAAF Base Force... it is marked as US Navy, should be USAFFE.

Unit 3367, 107th RN Base, and unit 3366, 106th RN Base... both marked as Southeast Asia, but shouldn't they be ABDA? Not like Adm Wavell would allow them to just load on ships and forget about Kuching and Brunei.

Regards,
F.

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 121
RE: OOB Comments - 8/9/2004 6:18:55 AM   
fbastos

Are you guys sure that by Dec-1941 the Soviets had about 20 divisions freezing at the frontier with Japan? If memory serves, they had released several divisions to mount their first winter offensive, so at least several of them should arrive as reinforcements from 44 onwards.

Of course, if Japan attacks, they would arrive sooner, but then there should be at least a month of delay. (Or spice things up with no reinforcements during the Spring of 42). Just my two cents.

Regards,
F.

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 122
RE: OOB Comments - 8/9/2004 7:18:01 AM   
fbastos

Unit 2568, 3rd Australian Div... starting xp is 80 on the long scenario... is that right? Did that unit fight in the Middle East before Dec-41?

Regards,
F.

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 123
RE: Missing AGC/WAGCs - 8/9/2004 12:16:30 PM   
strawbuk

These are the big ex(?) Coast Guard 'cutters' - though more size of small cruiser - yes?

Twinkle twinkle PBY
Seeking Kido Bu-tai
Flying o' the sea so high
An ill-omen in the sky
Twinkle twinkle PBY
Pointing out who's next to fry

(in reply to mdiehl)
Post #: 124
RE: CXAM Radar?? - 8/9/2004 12:30:29 PM   
strawbuk

Yes - AT guns were , at this stage, nearly always RA/RHA manned. Field or medium 'proper' artillery eg 18/25pdrs, 4.5in 5.5in would usualy be fielded as whole rgts ie btn size for you US types, as part of a division. Of course, operationally they would split into batteries and a battery was a entity fully capable of independant action. Mediums and heavies would also appear as batteries. The RHA (Royal Horse Arty) more frequently broke into batteries and it was often RHA units that were in motorised/armoured divs. (Don't you just love the historial precedent logic to that? Like the Rifle Bgd - the old 'light' inf in Wellington's day - provided the motor inf in late war armd divs) .

For AT gun equipped units , seperating out batteries was more common - I think for example that 'B' and 'C' batteries (if they had a C..) would probably be with other armoured divs or motor inf types , but not looked it up yet.

Don't take this 'splitting up' as some kind of german ability to kampfgruppe - at this stage the the theoretical command structure of a brit armd div would have all the armour in one bgd, may be with a motor inf btn, and all the arty and AT and rest of inf in another. Clunky.

Twinkle twinkle PBY
Seeking Kido Bu-tai
Flying o' the sea so high
An ill-omen in the sky
Twinkle twinkle PBY
Pointing out who's next to fry

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 125
RE: OOB Comments - 8/9/2004 10:09:27 PM   
fbastos

Where is the 5th USMC Defense Bn? The list goes from 1st all the way to 7th, but it skips the 5th.

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 126
RE: OOB Comments - 8/9/2004 10:29:59 PM   
Don Bowen

Good Catch!

The 5th Defense Battalion began the war in Iceland. It returned to the U.S. in March, 1942 and was then sent to the South Pacific in August, 1942. There it was split to provide defenses for the Ellice Islands and for Tulagi.

The portion at Tulagi was redesignated the 14th Defense Battalion and the units from the Ellice Islands were eventually re-assembled at Hawaii and formed into the 5rh AA Battalion. Note that most Defense Battalions were redesignated AA Battalions later in the war once the threat of seaborne invasion of island garrisons diminished.

Since the 14th (which is in the game) was formed from the 5th, the 5th may have been left out intentionally.

Don

(in reply to fbastos)
Post #: 127
RE: OOB Comments - 8/9/2004 10:32:09 PM   
fbastos

Oh my God... you know everything!

Many thanks,
F.

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 128
RE: OOB Comments - 8/9/2004 10:36:33 PM   
mdiehl

quote:

These are the big ex(?) Coast Guard 'cutters' - though more size of small cruiser - yes?

Yes, big "high endurance" or "cruising" cutters. More like a slightly short DD. Much larger than a DE. Release from Atlantic service early 1944 for PTO refit. Valued because of their long cruising range and outstanding stability in heavy weather. One of them was not converted to a (W)AGC, started the war in the PTO and served there throughout. That was Taney. Specs the same except for armament: instead of 2x3"s and 2x5"38s she had 4x5"L38s.

Not exactly "ex" Coasties. During peace time the USCG is part of the Department of the Interior. IIRC during WW2 they were still part of the Department of the Treasury. During times of war strategic command of them passes to the War Department (now Department of Defense... I like the old name better, since I am no fan of doublespeak). Apparently the USCG is where the USN turns when things become serious and the USN needs to add some professionalism and quality to things naval.

All the 327s are named after ex Secretaries of the Treasury and are thus variously called "327s" (after their length), "Treasury" class cutters, "Secretary" class cutters, and "Hamilton" class (after the name of the first ship launched in class) cutters. Most books refer to them as "Secretary" class. They were skippered and officered by USCGA graduates and mostly crewed by USCGC but with some USMC gunners.

Taney should be in the force pool as of 7 December 1941. She was at Pearl Harbor and is alleged to be the first ship to identify the attacking Japanese a/c and to open fire.

Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.

Didn't we have this conversation already?

(in reply to fbastos)
Post #: 129
RE: OOB Comments - 8/9/2004 11:20:33 PM   
Montbrun

^^^Marine DBs are one of Don's "things"....LOL

(in reply to fbastos)
Post #: 130
RE: OOB Comments - 8/10/2004 12:00:04 AM   
Andy Mac

William Slim doesnt arrive until 14th Army does.

He should be available from about April May 1942 when he took over Bur Corps for the retreat to Imphal.

Andy

(in reply to Montbrun)
Post #: 131
RE: OOB Comments - 8/10/2004 4:15:13 AM   
fbastos

Karachi's Base TOE seem to be far off; it lists no 9.2" CD guns and 2x 6" CD guns, while it has 2x 9.2" CD and 24x 6" CD guns. This way it won't replace its guns if they are lost. Perhaps should change the formation to 0?

Bombay and Panaji have a very similar complement, and don't have that problem.

Regards,
F.

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 132
RE: OOB Comments - 8/10/2004 4:40:53 AM   
fbastos

2nd Soviet Naval Base force... errr... at Uglahamensk, an inland base? It even has a pair of 8" CD guns, but it's like 100 miles from the sea...

That's a looooong shot...

PS: Hey, you guys that wanted a Soviet Fleet? Just anchor it at the 2nd Soviet Naval Base... it won't be sunk by the Japanese, and won't be useful anyway, so it's pretty much historical results...

< Message edited by fbastos -- 8/10/2004 2:43:20 AM >

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 133
RE: OOB Comments - 8/10/2004 6:03:28 AM   
Blackhorse

quote:

ORIGINAL: mdiehl
Not exactly "ex" Coasties. During peace time the USCG is part of the Department of the Interior. IIRC during WW2 they were still part of the Department of the Treasury. During times of war strategic command of them passes to the War Department (now Department of Defense... I like the old name better, since I am no fan of doublespeak).

You're right that the Coast Guard (descended from the Revenue Service) was part of the Treasury in peacetime in WWII. After the Department of Transportation was created in the 1960s, the USCG moved under their umbrella. Last year, the USCG moved into the new Homeland Security Department. . . although the Coasties still maintain an Executive Mess (Dining Room) at DOT, for which I, a Transportation weenie, am grateful.

I also abhor doublespeak. Bring back the War Department!

WitP-AE -- US LCU & AI Stuff

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!

(in reply to mdiehl)
Post #: 134
RE: OOB Comments - 8/10/2004 6:06:18 AM   
fbastos

5th RAA Cst Art Rgt has a TOE of 4x 6" CD guns when it has (5) 11x 6" CD guns; this seems incorrect.

The very similar 6th RAA Cst Art Rgt has the same complement, and a TOE of 16x 6" CD guns, what seems correct.

Regards,
F.

(in reply to Blackhorse)
Post #: 135
RE: OOB Comments - 8/10/2004 6:28:35 AM   
fbastos

-- Larry and Hardy on the 250th Cst Art Rgt --

There are two units called 250th Cst Art Rgt on the long scenario; one at Los Angeles, commanded by Brig Gen Hardy, and another in Anchorage, commanded (in my case) by the valiant Col Larry...

Looks like a case of duplicated identity...

Regards,
F.

< Message edited by fbastos -- 8/10/2004 5:13:19 AM >

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 136
Tabby - 8/10/2004 7:10:19 AM   
Xargun

Just running a new game in v1.21 and noticed the Tabby in the list of aircraft. What I wonder is what sort of engine does the Tabby use ? In the master list it has a dash for engine type..

Xargun

(in reply to fbastos)
Post #: 137
RE: Tabby - 8/10/2004 9:37:13 AM   
Brady

"Just running a new game in v1.21 and noticed the Tabby in the list of aircraft. What I wonder is what sort of engine does the Tabby use ? In the master list it has a dash for engine type.. "

It is not all the way in yet, their neads to be another patch added to get it working compleatly, or you can modify the scenario to get it working by adding mitsubish engines for it in the editor, and adding some to the pool, and asigning a upgrade path to it.....

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

Obi-wan Kenobi said it best: A lot of the reality we perceive depend on our point of view

(in reply to Xargun)
Post #: 138
RE: OOB Comments - 8/10/2004 7:40:46 PM   
Herrbear

My sources show that the B-18 Bolo has 3 x .30 machine guns for defense. Your database indicates that they are .50 caliber.

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 139
RE: Missing Ships from Scenario 2 - 8/11/2004 10:22:49 AM   
Pascal_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker

The Luskan/Dadman AAR triggered a lingering issue regarding SOPAC HQ. I'm not exactly sure when when SOPAC was formed, but I'm pretty sure it was located in Auckland, NZ until August 1st, 1942, when it transferred to Noumea, New Caledonia.

You're right. Auckland was Ghormley's first HQ location. Moved to Noumea in prep for the Guadalcanal landings. See Richard Frank's "Guadalcanal", one of the best histories of the campaign.

So much WitP and so little time to play.... :-(

(in reply to Ron Saueracker)
Post #: 140
RE: CXAM Radar?? - 8/11/2004 10:31:21 AM   
Pascal_slith

Unsure this has been mentioned, but the Catalina's endurance is somewhat suspect. The best source is at www.history.navy.mil where you can actually get the classified BuAer data sheets for many US Navy aircraft of WWII. The endurance should be a number closer to 1470 rather than the 1135 currently indicated...

So much WitP and so little time to play.... :-(

(in reply to Brady)
Post #: 141
RE: OOB Comments - 8/11/2004 8:49:02 PM   
Tankerace

Don't know if its been mentioned, but in the game the Soviet IL2 is called the Shturmovik, but its correct spelling is Sturmovik. It is prounounced Shturmovik, but spelled Sturmovik.

Designer of War Plan Orange
Allied Naval OOBer of Admiral's Edition
Naval Team Lead for War in the Med

Author of Million-Dollar Barrage: American Field Artillery in the Great War coming soon from OU Press.

(in reply to fbastos)
Post #: 142
RE: OOB Comments - 8/12/2004 12:55:37 AM   
Brady

From the Bok 96 Rikko, L3Y1/2, In Japanese Naval Air Service, By Richard M. Bueschel.

Acording to the Book prety much every Japanese Naval Fighter and Atack,Partole or whatever unit had a pair of these asigned to them for suply and personanel transfer, also the following Units operated them:

12th paratroop transport 1940-42 Home Islands Davo Philipines Menado,Celebes,Keopang L1N then L2D.(Note 20 L2D3's droped Japanese Special Naval landing forces on Mendao in the Celebes).

South Eastern Fleat HQ 43-Feb. 45 Operated H6K,G6M1-L2,G4M1-L,L2D,H8K,L1N...Consolidation of transports assigned to various Naval Air Gropus at Rabaul to provide a transport pool in SOuth Eastern Fleet fro use of all units.

1006th trnasport 1 July 43-End of war Home Ilsnads L3Y,G6M1-L2,G4M

First Detachment Air Squadron 1938-40 L1N-L2D

Tsingtao Base 1938 - sept 1940.L1N- L2D

11th Transport Fleet 1942-End of war H6K,G6M1-L2,G4M1-L,L2D,H8K.

Note On Nell Unit that upgraded to Ki-67:

762nd, upgraded to the Ki-67, and P1Y, specialaised in Night atacks aganst shiping.

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

Obi-wan Kenobi said it best: A lot of the reality we perceive depend on our point of view

(in reply to fbastos)
Post #: 143
RE: OOB Comments - 8/12/2004 10:36:42 AM   
hlw30024

As the game goes to 1946 would like to see the F8F Bearcat and Skyraider, not to mention the Midway class as two (FDR and Midway) were commissioned in 1945

(in reply to fbastos)
Post #: 144
RE: OOB Comments - 8/12/2004 9:50:54 PM   
Tankerace

Was Coral Sea commissioned in '45 or '47? She could make a brief appearance, for appearance's sake anyway.

Author of Million-Dollar Barrage: American Field Artillery in the Great War coming soon from OU Press.

(in reply to hlw30024)
Post #: 145
RE: OOB Comments - 8/12/2004 10:58:01 PM   
tsimmonds

Commission dates:

Midway 10/09/45
FDR 10/27/45
Coral Sea 10/14/47

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to Tankerace)
Post #: 146
RE: OOB Comments - 8/13/2004 1:11:27 AM   
Tankerace

Ah thats right. The FDR was originally named Coral Sea, but after FDR's death was renamed, and the third unit was renamed Coral Sea.

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 147
RE: OOB Comments - 8/13/2004 6:36:20 AM   
jcjordan

Not sure if it's been mentioned but didn't find it in search function but a couple of things that I've noticed in Scen 15 but would affect several other scenarios.
1) the Stranraer should have little or no production as it was being replaced by PBY Cats, it has 30/mo now & was never produced in any numbers anyway by Brit nor Can
2) the No120 RAAF should be Dutch pilots like the No18 RAAF - arrival & a/c type seem ok
3) where are the 10 Indian squadrons? - I saw a post where someone was going to do a custom scenario & put them in but didn't see them in database
4) The Chinese, from some of the research I've done, had more squadrons that would have participated in the game even though they kept a good bit of a/c to fight vs the Communist forces
5) Why have Communist China pilots when none are produced, also the French or are they hidden units that come about should Vietnam be invaded?
6) the Phillippines had another squadron or 2 in addition to the 6th FS - 1 recon/observation & bomber/FB squadron in use at the start
7) the Dutch air force seems understrength as well as unit sizes from the research I did but just about all units are there maybe 1 or 2 missing.

< Message edited by jcjordan -- 8/13/2004 5:10:12 PM >

(in reply to fbastos)
Post #: 148
RE: OOB Comments - 8/14/2004 5:24:58 AM   
grumbler

Has anyone mentioned the replacement of general Yamashita Tomoyuki with "Saito, M." (whoever he was) in command of 25th Army in all the start of war scenarios? The Tiger of Malaya isn't even available as a replacement leader.

(in reply to jcjordan)
Post #: 149
RE: OOB Comments - 8/14/2004 6:57:26 AM   
2ndACR

quote:

ORIGINAL: grumbler

Has anyone mentioned the replacement of general Yamashita Tomoyuki with "Saito, M." (whoever he was) in command of 25th Army in all the start of war scenarios? The Tiger of Malaya isn't even available as a replacement leader.

Goog grief yes!!!!! I can not remember who it was screaming about it, but he started about 3 threads and said it in every thread we had.

(in reply to grumbler)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: OOB Comments Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI