Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Idea how to slow building speed down - let's limit ENG units stacking!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Idea how to slow building speed down - let's limit ENG units stacking! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Idea how to slow building speed down - let's limit ... - 8/13/2004 12:43:24 AM   
HMSWarspite

Can someone help me understand the issue here please. Has anyone done the 'overstacking test'? What is the fastest Tinian can be built up by (a) cheating in the editor, and dumping huge supply and as many ENG as you like, and (b) doing it for real, with shipped in supply?

Until some numerical data is produced (shared) I suspect you might be debating CPU size with a caveman (i.e. no common frame of reference)

I have a cunning plan, My Lord

(in reply to ZOOMIE1980)
Post #: 91
RE: Idea how to slow building speed down - let's limit ... - 8/13/2004 12:50:55 AM   
ZOOMIE1980

Actually the openning entries in the thread seemed to indicate just that... Loads of evidence that massive engineer stacking enables bases to be built in less than half to a third of the time that were historically realistic. Didn't someone state Tinian can be put up to speed in about two weeks with massive engineering input? If so, that's probably "gamey". At issue is consistant design more than anything. We have these congestion limits elsewhere in the game, why not everywhere they could logically happen. Engineering stacking is one, Infantry stacking on tiny atolls is another.....

(in reply to HMSWarspite)
Post #: 92
RE: Idea how to slow building speed down - let's limit ... - 8/13/2004 12:51:39 AM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

ORIGINAL: HMSWarspite

Can someone help me understand the issue here please. Has anyone done the 'overstacking test'? What is the fastest Tinian can be built up by (a) cheating in the editor, and dumping huge supply and as many ENG as you like, and (b) doing it for real, with shipped in supply?

Until some numerical data is produced (shared) I suspect you might be debating CPU size with a caveman (i.e. no common frame of reference)

Duh! Always some guy who has to come along and ruin a perfectly good debate by introducing facts

Seriously though, rather a valid point ... just how much abuse can be done ... it would seem to be a key ingredient to the discussion having an merit

Post #: 93
RE: Idea how to slow building speed down - let's limit ... - 8/13/2004 12:53:16 AM   
mjk428

quote:

ORIGINAL: ZOOMIE1980
snip...
for me Tinian with 2 Bgd represents the "state-of-the-art" as defined by history. Everything esle is subjective conjecture....

I don't think Tinian really is the best example to determine build rates. As I said earlier, much of the building that went on for many months isn't modelled in the game. They were building for one very specific AC. They built 500 foot wide runways. It was built to efficiently accomodate more aircraft than the game even allows without restrictions (50*Airfield Size = 500 max without penalties).

I even wonder how much of it was built as a showcase. By game standards, IMO it's a "brick outhouse".

I think Henderson Field gives a more realistic idea of what needs to be done consistently in the game. But no one example should be used to make the determination. I'm sure the designers based their decisions on multiple historic examples plus previous games.

(in reply to ZOOMIE1980)
Post #: 94
RE: Idea how to slow building speed down - let's limit ... - 8/13/2004 12:55:10 AM   
Nikademus

The issue is that a player can stack an infinate # of ENG units at a single base in order to ultra-accelerate base building. A similar comparison would be players who might try to create 100 ship air combat TF's in order to create so high a flak rating as to make them invulnerable to air attack (and this could be done in PacWar up to the size limit of the TF's)

WitP of course fixed that scenerio by introducing a "diminishing returns" rule for total AA. From the 16th ship onward, the AA value increase becomes less than the full stated value of the ship's AA component and so on and so on.

The suggestion is that a similar rule be applied to ENG units in that once a certain # of "engineers" is reached that they produce increasingly diminishing returns the higher above that # is reached. Players can still stack, they just wont get total value out of all those hundreds of diggers and their D8's

Post #: 95
RE: Idea how to slow building speed down - let's limit ... - 8/13/2004 1:04:18 AM   
DrewMatrix

Stacking Limit:

In the hex "Los Angeles" which I take to roughly be LA County (actually it probably includes Orange as well, if not more) there are (Bureau of Labor Statistics,2003) 12,206 Construction/Mining corporations. I bet some of them are really big and some likely even own those D-6 Bulldozers. I know that is 2003, not how many were there in 1941.

But they aren't too crowded to work

So the stacking limit for construction units should be MORE than 12,206.

(Editted Addendum):
Note that is 12,206 Companies, not workers, obviously.

< Message edited by Beezle -- 8/12/2004 11:10:25 PM >

Beezle - Rapidly running out of altitude, airspeed and ideas.

(in reply to mjk428)
Post #: 96
RE: Idea how to slow building speed down - let's limit ... - 8/13/2004 1:06:37 AM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

So the stacking limit for construction units should be MORE than 12,206.

You are my Hero

(in reply to DrewMatrix)
Post #: 97
RE: Idea how to slow building speed down - let's limit ... - 8/13/2004 1:07:52 AM   
mjk428

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

The issue is that a player can stack an infinate # of ENG units at a single base in order to ultra-accelerate base building. A similar comparison would be players who might try to create 100 ship air combat TF's in order to create so high a flak rating as to make them invulnerable to air attack (and this could be done in PacWar up to the size limit of the TF's)

WitP of course fixed that scenerio by introducing a "diminishing returns" rule for total AA. From the 16th ship onward, the AA value increase becomes less than the full stated value of the ship's AA component and so on and so on.

The suggestion is that a similar rule be applied to ENG units in that once a certain # of "engineers" is reached that they produce increasingly diminishing returns the higher above that # is reached. Players can still stack, they just wont get total value out of all those hundreds of diggers and their D8's

This is a very fair summation.

I see two schools for the advocates for stacking limits.

1) Building speed needs to be slowed down and this is a good way to do it.

2) There needs to be consistency in the application of stacking limits. It's wrong to limit A/C & ships but not LCUs.

I disagree that stacking limits are the best way to slow growth, if that's the objective.

I'm sympathetic to the consistency argument regarding LCUs. Just need to come up with a reasonable number that doesn't have unintended negative consequence for Allies or the AI.

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 98
RE: Idea how to slow building speed down - let's limit ... - 8/13/2004 1:11:06 AM   
ZOOMIE1980

quote:

ORIGINAL: mjk428

quote:

snip...
for me Tinian with 2 Bgd represents the "state-of-the-art" as defined by history. Everything esle is subjective conjecture....

I don't think Tinian really is the best example to determine build rates. As I said earlier, much of the building that went on for many months isn't modelled in the game. They were building for one very specific AC. They built 500 foot wide runways. It was built to efficiently accomodate more aircraft than the game even allows without restrictions (50*Airfield Size = 500 max without penalties).

I even wonder how much of it was built as a showcase. By game standards, IMO it's a "brick outhouse".

I think Henderson Field gives a more realistic idea of what needs to be done consistently in the game. But no one example should be used to make the determination. I'm sure the designers based their decisions on multiple historic examples plus previous games.

I imagine a lot of these issues came up at some point and were bypassed as being something that would likely never be enough of an issue to ever matter. Amazing how putting software in the hands of end-users tends to make a majority of pre-release assumptions invalid.

(in reply to mjk428)
Post #: 99
RE: Idea how to slow building speed down - let's limit ... - 8/13/2004 1:14:05 AM   
Mr.Frag

If you want some fun, send a couple of BB's to bombard a base with 50 ENG units there. You'll LOVE it!!!

(in reply to ZOOMIE1980)
Post #: 100
RE: Idea how to slow building speed down - let's limit ... - 8/13/2004 1:18:26 AM   
ZOOMIE1980

quote:

The real suggestion is that "congestion" rules be put in anywhere "congestion" could be an issue. A general rule of thumb in software shops I'm familiar with is when fixing a "bug" you not only fix that bug in the spot that it occurred, but you look for and fix similar bugs everywhere else they may be happenning. In this case, if they take time to look at that, hopefully they'll look at all the other possible places exploitive players may game the system by "over-stacking" things. I'm not sure, but I would hate to see someone actually be able to stack 6 full force infantry divisions on a place like Kawajelin or Midway....that should be physically impossible.

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 101
RE: Idea how to slow building speed down - let's limit ... - 8/13/2004 1:20:00 AM   
ZOOMIE1980

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag

If you want some fun, send a couple of BB's to bombard a base with 50 ENG units there. You'll LOVE it!!!

I'll have to give it a try.

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 102
RE: Idea how to slow building speed down - let's limit ... - 8/13/2004 1:20:17 AM   
Nikademus

quote:

The real suggestion is that "congestion" rules be put in anywhere "congestion" could be an issue. .

I'm familar with what I suggested. What you want may be something different. Please reread my comments on it.

(in reply to ZOOMIE1980)
Post #: 103
RE: Idea how to slow building speed down - let's limit ... - 8/13/2004 1:24:44 AM   
ZOOMIE1980

quote:

quote:

The real suggestion is that "congestion" rules be put in anywhere "congestion" could be an issue. .

I'm familar with what I suggested. What you want may be something different. Please reread my comments on it.

Again, if the development team is going to look at the engineering stacking issue, they SHOULD look at ANY place "stacking" or "congestion" could be a future issue that isn't already dealt with. I don't need to reread your comments to understand the nature of the issue. My point is, it is more than just base-building, it's "stacking" in general.

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 104
RE: Idea how to slow building speed down - let's limit ... - 8/13/2004 1:27:56 AM   
mongo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag

Let's see.. I'll put some money on.....6k casualties..

As for the rest of the thread.. I think we're now arguing just to argue

"Mongo only pawn..in game of life"

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 105
RE: Idea how to slow building speed down - let's limit ... - 8/13/2004 1:31:32 AM   
Nikademus

quote:

Again, if the development team is going to look at the engineering stacking issue, they SHOULD look at ANY place "stacking" or "congestion" could be a future issue that isn't already dealt with. I don't need to reread your comments to understand the nature of the issue. My point is, it is more than just base-building, it's "stacking" in general.

Your suggestion is noted. I was just claryifying that it was not my suggestion nor Leo's

(in reply to ZOOMIE1980)
Post #: 106
RE: Idea how to slow building speed down - let's limit ... - 8/13/2004 1:33:22 AM   
UncleBuck

Lets see, Bataan, is a good example. Or maybe Singapore, or Hongh Kong, or Truk, Rabul or IwoJima. All are oftne Jammed with troops, so I guess there is an enemy behind every rock.

UB

(in reply to ZOOMIE1980)
Post #: 107
RE: Idea how to slow building speed down - let's limit ... - 8/13/2004 1:33:58 AM   
HMSWarspite

quote:

The issue is that a player can stack an infinate # of ENG units at a single base in order to ultra-accelerate base building.

The stacking of ENG units is only gamey if it gives an unrealistic/unhistorical benefit. If you can't actually supply them, and they don't actually build quicker, it is not gamey. Please, someone, how fast CAN you build Tinian (or any other base)?

I have a cunning plan, My Lord

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 108
RE: Idea how to slow building speed down - let's limit ... - 8/13/2004 1:40:20 AM   
UncleBuck

So is this a new game? It soudns like Name that Tune. It isBuild that Base! I can build that base in 5 days. Oh Yeah I cna build that base in 3 Days. Well I could build that base in 2 days! Build that Base !

Boy sounds like fun. Judging on how much supply my engineers suck up building up Suva, I think you woudl need in excess of 500K supply to build Tinian to size 7 in two weeks. ANd when you were finished you woudl be dangerously low on supply.

I ran a test at Shikka. I wanted to build a size 4 airfield and size 4 port to Size 7. I have 900K in supply and 6 Engineer units, 5 CB and an EAB. They are building at 10% a day at size 6. I have a supply dump of 15K a day so I don't think they will run out. BUt even at 10% a day that is 10 days per level for both Field and Port with 6 engineer units. ANyway I know it is not worth much but there it is.

UB

Post #: 109
RE: Idea how to slow building speed down - let's limit ... - 8/13/2004 1:52:34 AM   
Nikademus

quote:

ORIGINAL: HMSWarspite

The stacking of ENG units is only gamey if it gives an unrealistic/unhistorical benefit. If you can't actually supply them, and they don't actually build quicker, it is not gamey. Please, someone, how fast CAN you build Tinian (or any other base)?

Supply has never been a problem that i've seen. I have seen the benefits of so many engineers crawling around the hex though

< Message edited by Nikademus -- 8/12/2004 11:52:47 PM >

Post #: 110
RE: Idea how to slow building speed down - let's limit ... - 8/13/2004 2:10:42 AM   
Black Cat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Damien Thorn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Black Cat

I See Now !! **your Ideas,** which seriously impact the US player who is **working against the clock** and needs to build bases fast, which they did BTW, are " historicaly accurate".

BUT any idea which makes the Japanese player play in a historically accurate way ( as Splinterheads above ) is not comparable.....Yes I see now.

Good try Leo in Screwing the US Player ....but why not just use House Rules eh ?? You never answered that one

You see nothing. Apollo is not trying to "screw" the Allied player. If you have followed his posts for the past year you will see that he is, in no way, a Japanese fanboy. He is just trying to prevent gamey tactics.

As to why a house rule wouldn't fix this (like it would fix a 2nd day Peal Harbor strike) is because it is not verifiable from the other side. You will know if the Japanese stick around for multiple day strikes at Pearl Harbor but you WON'T know if 100,000 engineers are building a base together. (Ironically, you would know if the Japanese tried it because of the sigint advantage and the fact that they wouldn't be building anywhere else in the whole world because it would take all of their engineers.)

Allow me to respond in order :

I have no idea and care less what Leo posted for "the past year" since I only became interested in this Forum when The Game Was Available And Comments Could Be Based upon An Actual Product. Fair Enough ?

As to House Rules needing Verifiacation...well you could always run Air Recon in.

You could always do a Mouse over in the AI phase and see if it went from 1 to 6 in about a month. Ask Mr. Frag about that little trick, he knows all there is to know about how this Puppy ticks.

You could land a SNLF fragment by Sub to see what`s there if you thought he was cheating.

Or best of all by being familiar with the Game through playing the AI you should have an idea when something unusual happens in a PBEM game...of course if I didn`t trust my PBEM opponent I don`t think any house rule, which are based on an Honor System, would work and the whole experience would be distasteful. I mean, don`t you PBEM guys think you could learn how the Game Actually Works by a little AI play over time.

Last, I object to the PBEM Guys wanting to alter the Historical Game Design to suite their visions of History or give them the ability to re-write it.

Asking for these endless little SPECIFIC changes may unbalance the Campaign Game for the VAST majority who just play against the AI and basing these out of context requests on less then a month of playing ( The Game is just out ) is just absurd.

(in reply to Damien Thorn)
Post #: 111
RE: Idea how to slow building speed down - let's limit ... - 8/13/2004 3:23:43 AM   
tsimmonds

quote:

Asking for these endless little SPECIFIC changes may unbalance the Campaign Game for the VAST majority who just play against the AI and basing these out of context requests on less then a month of playing ( The Game is just out ) is just absurd.

Whew! That was a calorific post for sure. But I gotta say, I am in total agreement with this last little bit here.....

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to Black Cat)
Post #: 112
RE: Idea how to slow building speed down - let's limit ... - 8/13/2004 4:48:58 AM   
ZOOMIE1980

quote:

Funny thing...I've had the game since July 1. Have yet to play anything but the main campaign (#15 and Lemur's #26). And I have yet to get far enough into that to where a new aircraft model is even available yet. I'm in my 14th game now. I have Dec 1941 and Jan 1942 down now.... I will never see a game with an Atomic Bomb in it, I'm afraid.

(in reply to Black Cat)
Post #: 113
RE: Idea how to slow building speed down - let's limit ... - 8/13/2004 4:52:16 AM   
Arnir

quote:

ORIGINAL: irrelevant

quote:

Whew! That was a calorific post for sure. But I gotta say, I am in total agreement with this last little bit here.....

Me too.

Should the entire USN CB force be allowed on Midway? No. OTOH, why is Tinian suddenly the holy grail of engineering? I have seen many comments about it being the US top priority and if they only used 2 (or X) CB units then that's the max. (Generality). I haven't seen any proof that the US limited Tinian to X units because it was the end all be all formula for building the base.

Diminishing returns exist, but they have to be determined. How many engineering units should kick in the diminishing returns? If we are going to do that for engineers, then we need to do that for any land unit. Stacking restrictions for all units by hex and terrain. What is going to be the determining rule for that? It is quite easy to say all this should be fixed, but we need some hard data here. Not to mention studies from each nation to determine what their engineering capacities were. (And then sit back and wait for screams of propaganda from various quarters).

How many players have overstacked engineers on an island? (Ignoring that we don't agree what overstacking is.) How big of a problem is this?

If someone can actually PROVE what the engineer limit is, more power to them to getting it in the game. Until then, I can handle the current situation.

I am afraid that MY playing experience is going to be diminished by other loud players who insist that THEIR views be adopted by 2by3. Of course, the changes are up to 2by3, but I would feel better with a bit more evidence and less noise. As I said earlier, if we are to simply follow historical results, give us our money back so that we can watch documentaries.

Pearl Harbor was gamey. The Doolittle raid was gamey. The atomic bomb was gamey. Having pilots attempt suicide raids is gamey. The war was gamey to some point. Who gets to decide what is gamey? Somebody has to.

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 114
RE: Idea how to slow building speed down - let's limit ... - 8/13/2004 5:01:34 AM   
ZOOMIE1980

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arnir

quote:

quote:

Me too.

Should the entire USN CB force be allowed on Midway? No. OTOH, why is Tinian suddenly the holy grail of engineering? I have seen many comments about it being the US top priority and if they only used 2 (or X) CB units then that's the max. (Generality). I haven't seen any proof that the US limited Tinian to X units because it was the end all be all formula for building the base.

Diminishing returns exist, but they have to be determined. How many engineering units should kick in the diminishing returns? If we are going to do that for engineers, then we need to do that for any land unit. Stacking restrictions for all units by hex and terrain. What is going to be the determining rule for that? It is quite easy to say all this should be fixed, but we need some hard data here. Not to mention studies from each nation to determine what their engineering capacities were. (And then sit back and wait for screams of propaganda from various quarters).

How many players have overstacked engineers on an island? (Ignoring that we don't agree what overstacking is.) How big of a problem is this?

If someone can actually PROVE what the engineer limit is, more power to them to getting it in the game. Until then, I can handle the current situation.

I am afraid that MY playing experience is going to be diminished by other loud players who insist that THEIR views be adopted by 2by3. Of course, the changes are up to 2by3, but I would feel better with a bit more evidence and less noise. As I said earlier, if we are to simply follow historical results, give us our money back so that we can watch documentaries.

Pearl Harbor was gamey. The Doolittle raid was gamey. The atomic bomb was gamey. Having pilots attempt suicide raids is gamey. The war was gamey to some point. Who gets to decide what is gamey? Somebody has to.

I used Tinian because it represents the highest level of civil engineering achieved in the Pacific theater in WWII. And lacking any other historical facts, such as a Corp of Engineering or their Naval counterpart, report on the subject, it represents the max capable achievement if you are looking for a specific number.

As you said in your last statement, somebody has to. A number MUST be arrived at. But whatever it is, it WILL be somewhat ARBITRARY. But just because arriving at a number is hard or even impossible to precisely establish or "prove" does not mean you choose to NOT do it.

(in reply to Arnir)
Post #: 115
RE: Idea how to slow building speed down - let's limit ... - 8/13/2004 5:12:25 AM   
Arnir

I agree completely that somebody has to make the decision. I would like to see some more information about this issue before someone rushes to judgement on the issue.

I posit that other historical facts are out there, but they will take some effort to dig up. I disagree that Tinian "represents the max capable achievement" in this case. It is the max achievement, but I don't know that it is the max capability. It may very well be the best current number, I'm just saying that I don't know if it is and so far I haven't seen enough to instill confidence. But then again, I don't have a brain bigger than a walnut so who am I to talk?

To reiterate, I think that there needs to be a demonstrable *real* problem and then a solution that is demonstrably better than the problem. I'm not sure if there has been enough evidence presented yet to show that the proposed solutions will not cause as many issues and the perceived problem.

< Message edited by Arnir -- 8/12/2004 9:19:46 PM >

(in reply to ZOOMIE1980)
Post #: 116
RE: Idea how to slow building speed down - let's limit ... - 8/13/2004 5:27:01 AM   
tsimmonds

quote:

I used Tinian because it represents the highest level of civil engineering achieved in the Pacific theater in WWII. And lacking any other historical facts, such as a Corp of Engineering or their Naval counterpart, report on the subject, it represents the max capable achievement if you are looking for a specific number.

No, Tinian represents the max actually achieved. And if a greater accomplishment had been needed somehow, what then? Would the USA have folded its arms and said, no way, this other is the best that I can do? I don't think so. What was necessary to be achieved, was achieved. That was how the USA worked, and how it would work today if it had to. If Tinian needed to be 2X as large in the same time, or the same size in half the time, can you doubt that it would have happened? Was there anything strategic after January 44 which had to happen that didn't?

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to ZOOMIE1980)
Post #: 117
RE: Idea how to slow building speed down - let's limit ... - 8/13/2004 6:22:03 AM   
ZOOMIE1980

quote:

quote:

No, Tinian represents the max actually achieved. And if a greater accomplishment had been needed somehow, what then? Would the USA have folded its arms and said, no way, this other is the best that I can do? I don't think so. What was necessary to be achieved, was achieved. That was how the USA worked, and how it would work today if it had to. If Tinian needed to be 2X as large in the same time, or the same size in half the time, can you doubt that it would have happened? Was there anything strategic after January 44 which had to happen that didn't?

The point being, unless there is hard historical evidence, such as a report or study on the issue from the Navy or Army, any other number becomes totally arbitrary, just a subjective guess. Lacking evidence, you pretty much have to settle on the actual max achieved as the "bar". Just because someone THINKS the US MIGHT have been able to cut the time in half, does not PROVE they could have just because someone wanted to. To establish a "better" number than the top historical achievement really requires hard historical evidence that actual plans were in place to do something better. If those exist, then fine. That would then be the number. But lacking those, you stick to what actually happenned.

I'm pretty sure I've seen several published cases of Nimitz's staff indicating maximum deployable forces on the atolls of the campaign. The forces used in Saipan and Iwo Jima, for instance, (roughly five divisions in the case of Saipan) were pretty much the absolute maximum the staffs believed could be used and maintain coordination and adequate command and control. And those were sizeable islands, not atolls.

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 118
RE: Idea how to slow building speed down - let's limit ... - 8/13/2004 7:55:04 AM   
tacticon

How many engineer units would the US have committed to make Kyushu an Insta-Base for Operation Olympic? How many Engineer Units would be able to work efficiently once the Island was captured? These kinds of arguments always come down to what was Historical vs. what was Possible. We know that it was historical for the Allies to build a level two port in Normandy under fire, with out capturing the hex over night. A single Seabee unit could put down a working fighter strip on coral islands in 4 to 5 days.

http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/factfile/personnel/seabees/seabee1.html
http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq67-3.htm

“More than 325,000 men served with the Seabees in World War II, fighting and building on six continents and more than 300 islands. In the Pacific, where most of the construction work was needed, the Seabees landed soon after the Marines and built major airstrips, bridges, roads, warehouses, hospitals, gasoline storage tanks and housing”.

So if the average Seabee Unit has 900 men it them (including the support squads) the US fielded the equivalent of 335 Seabee construction battalions in WitP terms. This leaves out all the Army Combat Engineers and Base forces. Although many Seabee units were withdrawn during the war, sent to other theaters or cannibalized for new units. I counted 115 Seabee units in the data base. Sounds right to me.

http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq67-3.htm

“As the war progressed and construction projects became larger and more complex, more than one battalion frequently had to be assigned to a base. For efficient administrative control, these battalions were organized into a regiment, and when necessary, two or more regiments were organized into a brigade, and as required, two or more brigades were organized into a naval construction force. For example, 55,000 Seabees were assigned to Okinawa and the battalions were organized into 11 regiments and 4 brigades, which, in turn, were all under the command of the Commander, Construction Troops, who was a Navy Civil Engineer Corps officer, Commodore Andrew G. Bisset. Moreover, his command also included 45,000 United States Army engineers, aviation engineers, and a few British engineers. He therefore commanded 100,000 construction troops in all, the largest concentration of construction troops during the entire war.”

Did someone forget to tell Cmdr. Bisset that he can’t stack a hundred Engineer battalions on an island like Okinawa? He must be total Allied Fanboy!!! Didn’t he know that would completely unbalance the game in the Allies favor? What was he thinking?

Tacticon

What if there were no hypothetical situations?

(in reply to ZOOMIE1980)
Post #: 119
RE: Idea how to slow building speed down - let's limit ... - 8/13/2004 10:14:23 AM   
ZOOMIE1980

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arnir

I agree completely that somebody has to make the decision. I would like to see some more information about this issue before someone rushes to judgement on the issue.

I posit that other historical facts are out there, but they will take some effort to dig up. I disagree that Tinian "represents the max capable achievement" in this case. It is the max achievement, but I don't know that it is the max capability. It may very well be the best current number, I'm just saying that I don't know if it is and so far I haven't seen enough to instill confidence. But then again, I don't have a brain bigger than a walnut so who am I to talk?

To reiterate, I think that there needs to be a demonstrable *real* problem and then a solution that is demonstrably better than the problem. I'm not sure if there has been enough evidence presented yet to show that the proposed solutions will not cause as many issues and the perceived problem.

Yes, that is a very reasonable approach. My point is that IF, and only IF, they decide to take a look at this, then take a look at ALL congestion-like issues not already addressed. Be consistant. This may very well fall into the realm of "yes it's a design weakness, but it's not a big enough deal to worry about" category. ANd that's fine with me. It's another one of those "academic" issues that probably has little actual impact on overall gameplay quality. But I'm extremely anal about "academic" stuff. I you haven't noticed..... I'm a design FREAK.

(in reply to Arnir)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Idea how to slow building speed down - let's limit ENG units stacking! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI