Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Please join on a salute to G.G

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Please join on a salute to G.G Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Please join on a salute to G.G - 8/12/2004 4:45:17 AM   
watchtower

Well it looks a popular subject. What's the earliest GG game you played - I used to get him mixed up with D&D's Gary Gygax - So well done - for Keep on the borderlands with the little hairy buggers. Or whatever it was called.

BTW what was GG's first game? I got some 8 bit Atari stuff with his name on somewhere so he must be at least 106 years old.

Any estimates on Gary's age? Game history? Age of code from game to another

BOB/BTR/UV/BITP/BTW/PBORSRML*

*Please bugger off and retire and stop ruining my life and any chance of a normal social existance.
Post #: 1
RE: Please join on a salute to G.G - 8/12/2004 5:01:20 AM   
fbastos

Oldest one I know is a 8-bit USAAF-something (USAAF Air War I think, I get confused with all these flight simulators with "Air War" names).

That is pretty much the grand-daddy of Battle of Britain. It seems to share a lot of common ideas. That would be 50% of the lineage of WitP. The other half is of course PacWar.

Regards!
F.

PS: I will finish my /salute to Grisby when I see more of his posts in this board! :)

PS 2: Not that it matter at all if he posts or not; I will buy any Gary Grisby game without blinking twice.

(in reply to watchtower)
Post #: 2
RE: Please join on a salute to G.G - 8/12/2004 6:22:16 AM   
Svar

I don't know what his first game was but the first one I played was the original War in Russia. The Matrix editon is actually an improvement to the third generation of that game. The second generation was Second Front.

(in reply to fbastos)
Post #: 3
RE: Please join on a salute to G.G - 8/12/2004 6:24:07 AM   
Sabre21

I believe his first game was "Guadacanal". There were many others in his early days with SSI like "War in Russia" , "North Atlantic '86", and a host of others that I played back in them days on my monochrome Apple IIe.

Sabre21

(in reply to fbastos)
Post #: 4
RE: Please join on a salute to G.G - 8/12/2004 6:28:34 AM   
Caltone

quote:

ORIGINAL: watchtower

Well it looks a popular subject. What's the earliest GG game you played - I used to get him mixed up with D&D's Gary Gygax - So well done - for Keep on the borderlands with the little hairy buggers. Or whatever it was called.

BTW what was GG's first game? I got some 8 bit Atari stuff with his name on somewhere so he must be at least 106 years old.

Any estimates on Gary's age? Game history? Age of code from game to another

BOB/BTR/UV/BITP/BTW/PBORSRML*

*Please bugger off and retire and stop ruining my life and any chance of a normal social existance.

Damn, I hope I look this good when I'm 106

GG Info

Good info there on all the 2by3 guys including short bios, game credits, and some frightening pictures

Seriously, these guys along with the Matrix crew have given me many years of entertainment, and from the looks of WitP many many more.

"Order AP Hill to prepare for battle" -- Stonewall Jackson

(in reply to watchtower)
Post #: 5
RE: Please join on a salute to G.G - 8/12/2004 6:35:19 AM   
Cmdrcain

Hummm Of his games listed I have :

A Complete List of Games Designed By Gary:
Guadalcanal Campaign,North Atlantic '86,
Carrier Force, Objective: War in Russia (1984),
Kampfgruppe, Mech Brigade,
USAAF, Battlegroup, Warship,
War in the South Pacific, Battlecruiser, Panzer Strike!
Western Front, Carrier Strike, Pacific War,
War in Russia (1993), Steel Panthers, Steel Panthers II,
Steel Panthers III, 12 O'clock High

Noise? What Noise? It's sooooo quiet and Peaceful!

Battlestar Pegasus

(in reply to Caltone)
Post #: 6
RE: Please join on a salute to G.G - 8/12/2004 7:20:50 AM   
RayM

While having played only the War in Russia when it first appeared, I spent years acquiring GG's other games, particularly those for the Pacific, once I learned that they existed. I first played Guadalcanal Campaign using an Apple IIe emulator on my PC. Unfortunately, I could not ever save a game. Then I acquired a working Apple IIe with color monitor and the hunt for GG's SSI games really began. Lots of fun...

If I may borrow Cmdrcain's list, I have the following games (a mixture of PC and Apple IIe):

Guadalcanal Campaign
Carrier Force, USAAF, Battlegroup, Warship,
War in the South Pacific, Battlecruiser,
Carrier Strike, Pacific War,
War in Russia, 12 O'clock High

(in reply to Cmdrcain)
Post #: 7
RE: Please join on a salute to G.G - 8/12/2004 7:39:14 AM   
Cmdrcain

quote:

ORIGINAL: RayM

While having played only the War in Russia when it first appeared, I spent years acquiring GG's other games, particularly those for the Pacific, once I learned that they existed. I first played Guadalcanal Campaign using an Apple IIe emulator on my PC. Unfortunately, I could not ever save a game. Then I acquired a working Apple IIe with color monitor and the hunt for GG's SSI games really began. Lots of fun...

If I may borrow Cmdrcain's list, I have the following games (a mixture of PC and Apple IIe):

Guadalcanal Campaign
Carrier Force, USAAF, Battlegroup, Warship,
War in the South Pacific, Battlecruiser,
Carrier Strike, Pacific War,
War in Russia, 12 O'clock High

I still have working C-64 and C-128 and the needed Floppy drive...

I believe you still can find especially in europe ,Commodores..

Battlestar Pegasus

(in reply to RayM)
Post #: 8
RE: Please join on a salute to G.G - 8/12/2004 8:54:04 AM   
David Heath

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sabre21

I believe his first game was "Guadacanal". There were many others in his early days with SSI like "War in Russia" , "North Atlantic '86", and a host of others that I played back in them days on my monochrome Apple IIe.

Sabre21

Ahhhh yes those were mine as well. I got a second job in High School just so I could afford the Apple clone I purchased to play his games.

David

(in reply to Sabre21)
Post #: 9
$0.02 - 8/12/2004 12:14:39 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

I've played a game called Guadalcanal on the good ol' C64 'bout 15 years ago or so, I assume that was GG's game. Must have been the first time I realized that WW2 was also fought in the Pacific. Got hooked on PacWar in the mid-90s, then UV and now WitP. Maybe I shouldn't salute GG - he has ruined my life!

(in reply to David Heath)
Post #: 10
RE: $0.02 - 8/12/2004 12:23:32 PM   
Jaws_slith

Kampfgruppe it was on the Amiga. I played day and night as PW, WitP, UV etc, etc..... and it seems al the GG games stuck me on my computer.

Thanks Gary and your crew.

Next title

WiE War in Europe With the same setup and details as WitP

Good Hunting

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 11
RE: $0.02 - 8/12/2004 1:38:17 PM   
Adnan Meshuggi

Well, Kampfgruppe was the first c64-game i owned, later on "some" others, too.... But this is now 20 years ago (?), maybe another GG Game was the first....

allways great games, interesting thing is, we could live with the "failures" in this time, now we critizise everything...

good old days...

oh, and my KG was as expensive as witp is now, around 170 DM or 85 Euros... so, some things didn´t change a lot

greetings to mr. grisby, cause his games were allways worth the money (by time to money counter !)

Don't tickle yourself with some moralist crap thinking we have some sort of obligation to help these people. We're there for our self-interest, and anything we do to be 'nice' should be considered a courtesy dweebespit

(in reply to Jaws_slith)
Post #: 12
RE: Please join on a salute to G.G - 8/12/2004 4:22:15 PM   
ZOOMIE1980

quote:

Sabre21

North Atlantic '86 is still a favorite of mine. I play it now on an Apple II simulator. USAAFE the original computer simulation of the Allied bombing of Germany, and the game that WitP's research model was born in, is another early Grigsby game I always enjoyed. Best Wargame designer in history.

(in reply to Sabre21)
Post #: 13
RE: Please join on a salute to G.G - 8/12/2004 4:36:24 PM   
Sabre21

quote:

quote:

Sabre21

Ahhhh yes those were mine as well. I got a second job in High School just so I could afford the Apple clone I purchased to play his games.

David

You young whipper snapper..hehe..high scool huh. I was stationed in Germany at the time flying cobras along the old German border. Of course the biggest threat to my wargaming enjoyment wasn't the Evil Empire across the border, but my wife at the time. I spent $1300 on a Apple IIe with a monochrome screen and 64k of memory just to play GG games on it. As a result I had to spend an equal amount on a new sewing machine for her..whats funny is she still has that machine and my apple is probably someone's boat anchor. I'm on my eigth computer now since the early eighties.

Yep..i've been a GG fan from the getgo:)

Sabre

(in reply to ZOOMIE1980)
Post #: 14
RE: Please join on a salute to G.G - 8/12/2004 7:47:28 PM   
IronManBeta

I used to play all of his games too and particularly spent a lot of time with Guadalcanal Campaign. I was at university and my housemate and I would play it for 20 hours plus after exams were over and we had some time. That and drinking were the main featues of our life back then.

It inspired me to do my own but 'corrected' e.g. use of lower case letters and the full 80 columns of text possible in the Apple II world by 1980 or so. I did my own research and did I nice job if I say so myself but it was never finished... It got me hooked though and I have bought anything of his automatically ever since.

Rob.

(in reply to Sabre21)
Post #: 15
RE: Please join on a salute to G.G - 8/12/2004 9:01:33 PM   
ZOOMIE1980

quote:

ORIGINAL: RobertCrandall

I used to play all of his games too and particularly spent a lot of time with Guadalcanal Campaign. I was at university and my housemate and I would play it for 20 hours plus after exams were over and we had some time. That and drinking were the main featues of our life back then.

It inspired me to do my own but 'corrected' e.g. use of lower case letters and the full 80 columns of text possible in the Apple II world by 1980 or so. I did my own research and did I nice job if I say so myself but it was never finished... It got me hooked though and I have bought anything of his automatically ever since.

Rob.

Yea, I was able to extract the Applesoft Basic code from North Atlantic '86 disk and rewrite the AI logic a bit. I then used that general design to write a 1980's version of PACWAR on the Apple IIc/e. Loads of fun.

(in reply to IronManBeta)
Post #: 16
RE: Please join on a salute to G.G - 8/12/2004 9:32:56 PM   
joey

I took first reenlistment bonus to buy an apple IIe to play Gray's games. I spent more hours on North Altantic 86 than I can rememeber. All I can say is thanks,

(in reply to ZOOMIE1980)
Post #: 17
RE: Please join on a salute to G.G - 8/13/2004 12:56:58 AM   
Zakamoto

Guadalcanal Campaign was the first one I personally played. I think I've had and played well over half of the titles listed on the bio page for Grigsby.

Guadalcanal Campaign I may well have *finished* at least 6 or 8 full campaign games hotseat play. I believe I may have played it 2-3 times vs. the AI too - but that was obviously less fun. I remember playing GC hotseat used to result in a lot of "decoy" typing just to keep ones opponent guessing, since composing task forces required entering the number of each ship id by number individually

As I said, I played most of the others, but only USAAF, (original) Steel Panthers, War in the South Pacific, and especially Pacwar extensively.

(in reply to joey)
Post #: 18
RE: Please join on a salute to G.G - 8/13/2004 1:34:42 AM   
mongo

"Mongo only pawn..in game of life"

(in reply to Zakamoto)
Post #: 19
RE: Please join on a salute to G.G - 8/13/2004 3:27:36 AM   
witpit

thx Gary! Enjoyed Pacific War, looking forward to WitP very much so!

WITP IT....WITP IT GOOD!!!!

(in reply to watchtower)
Post #: 20
RE: Please join on a salute to G.G - 8/13/2004 4:35:17 AM   
moses

I can't believe I missed Guadalcanal. Now I'm really ticked. I played all the others though. I remember buying USAAF on my first day back on a 30 day leave from germany. Had to read the rules for 30 days. Great games.

(in reply to witpit)
Post #: 21
RE: Please join on a salute to G.G - 8/13/2004 5:14:36 AM   
Arnir

I played most of the games listed here way back when. I would love to be able to play NA'86 again, in a more modern package. I just hated Iceland after playing that game.

(in reply to moses)
Post #: 22
My G.G Games - 8/13/2004 5:58:00 AM   
siRkid

• Guadalcanal Campaign - I can still remember the day it arrived in the mail
  • Bomb Alley, North Atlantic '86,
  • Carrier Force
  • Objective: Kursk
  • War in Russia (1984), If WitP is the mother of all games then WiR is the father!
  • Reforger '88
  • Kampfgruppe - I was so excite that I could load troops up on transports.
  • Mech Brigade - Helicopters, Gun ships, TOW missiles oh ya!
  • Warship
  • Panzer Strike! - Cool graphics for teh first time
  • Typhoon of Steel
  • Second Front,
  • Western Front
  • Carrier Strike
  • Pacific War,
  • Steel Panthers - Still one of the best games ever
  • Steel Panthers II,
  • Steel Panthers III
  • Battle of Britain

I think I helped make a car payment or two. I'm just glad I did not have to pay by the hour or Gary would own everything I have.

< Message edited by Kid -- 8/13/2004 4:00:16 AM >

Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

(in reply to Arnir)
Post #: 23
RE: My G.G Games - 8/13/2004 6:02:56 AM   
siRkid

I still have all the catalogs.

Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 24
RE: My G.G Games - 8/13/2004 6:12:24 AM   
siRkid

Keith's Game Credits:

Programming & Design:
Wizards Crown
Pool of Radiance
Curse of the Azure bonds
Darksun
Steel Panthers I, II and III
Battle of Britain
12 O'clock High

Programming:
Eagles
USAAF

Developer:
Phantasie : I, II, III
Imperium Galactum

I would love to see a re-make of Imperium Galactum

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 25
RE: My G.G Games - 8/13/2004 7:37:34 AM   
daump

My first computer was an Atari 800XL - $700 for a 74K floppy drive so I could play USAAF and Kamfgruppe.

It was well needed my main competition for board games had joined the forces and left town.

Man we have come a long way in 20 years.

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 26
RE: My G.G Games - 8/13/2004 8:44:11 AM   
Nikademus

Nothing beats an Atari 400 with authentic TAPE DRIVE for storage.

Man....it just doesn't get any more high tech than that.....

(in reply to daump)
Post #: 27
RE: My G.G Games - 8/13/2004 4:51:20 PM   
BartM

Guadalcanal Campain
Bomb Alley
Carrier Force
Objective : Kursk
War in Russia
Kampfgruppe
Mech Brigade
Panzer Strike
Western Front
Pacific War (I finally had to download the Matric copy with my last move, no idea where the original went :( )
All three Steel panthers, and I agree, still one of the best games Kid !

[quote from Kid I would love to see a re-make of Imperium Galactum
[/quote]

Completely agree ! :)

Still have the c-64 in the garage along with the (cough) tape drive and a copy of "Telengard" somewhere laugh !...plus all the the SSI/SSG games :)

Thank you all for many years of enjoyment !

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 28
RE: My G.G Games - 8/13/2004 5:14:38 PM   
Jaws_slith

Man are you guys old, almost grandfather

Good Hunting

(in reply to BartM)
Post #: 29
RE: My G.G Games - 8/14/2004 6:57:55 AM   
Cmdrcain

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kid

Imperium Galactum

I would love to see a re-make of Imperium Galactum

Oh Please Yes... Have that too, I always have wished it had been ported over to PC, even improved...

However I found Space Empires III Which kind of substituted... but If IG were to be remade for Windows I'd sure buy it, a windows version probably would be a much bigger galaxy too, maybe emcompassing say milkyway Galaxy through of course not every star

Battlestar Pegasus

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Please join on a salute to G.G Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI