Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Air Units over their limit - do they disappear?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> Air Units over their limit - do they disappear? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Air Units over their limit - do they disappear? - 8/14/2004 2:45:06 AM   
V2

1. I've lost over 140 Bettys and Nells in the first 2 weeks of Scen 15. But only 30 of those are on the losses chart, and am wondering what happened to the rest.

Of note, I disbanded a few units, and selected "no" to whether I want the unit to return as reinforcements. I then have a coupla super-units with 50+ Bettys each. The next turn, however, the unit is still there, but only with 27 or so A/C. DWhat happened to the rest of the aircraft?

2. Is there a way to increase the size of a unit? There's a Val unit with 9 stinkin' aircraft, yet there's 78 Val's in the replacement pool. The Val unit is in Tokyo with 35,000 supply. WTF??

3. Any input on this: For Jap A/C production, I retooled all factories to produce only 5 aircraft: Zero, Val, Kate, Betty, and Emily. For engines, Mitsubishi and Nakajima only (they are the only engines on the above A/C). It's 29 DEC 41, and I have the following in the replacement pools:
Zero 177
Val 78
Kate 134
Betty 84
Emily (none, not available yet)

Unfortunately, though, most of my air units are still understrength!!! Is there a replacement bug?

I think if this game allows control over production of aircraft, it should allow control over production of aircraft. The Jap should be allowed to produce Betty's and Zero's up the ying-yang, and to heck with the crappy ones (N-nn....N...Nate Llll....lil....Lilll...Lily and the Uh...UH....u...Uhh..Ahh Oscar, and the "I can't hit a durn thing" Sally.)
Post #: 1
RE: Air Units over their limit - do they disappear? - 8/14/2004 4:06:31 AM   
2ndACR

I would say that your a/c production is now royally screwed. Wether you like it or not, over half your air power is the army. You have now made them useless. I would really suggest a re-start.

As to your questions:

1. If you were counting losses in the combat reports, they are subject to FOW. The report on the intel screen is gospel. If it is in the intel screen it was destroyed/lost.

2. Do you have them set to recieve replacements? In the upper left corner of the unit profile there will be a number in () that is the max size of the unit.

3. I answered above, but this is a ongoing argument.

I have no idea why you would not want air groups to return. A huge excess of a/c over the number in () will be returned to the pool.

No replacement bug that I know of. Takes time, supply, good area, HQ's present to get them up to snuff.

(in reply to V2)
Post #: 2
RE: Air Units over their limit - do they disappear? - 8/14/2004 4:15:24 AM   
V2

Thanks for the response.
1. I was looking at the intel screen, not the combat reports.

2. All my groups are set to receive replacements.

I thought that I was able to have a few large air groups, instead of a bunch of rinky-dinks. Also, the only A/C worth a darn are the ones I mentioned, agree?

"They were all enemy. They were all to be destroyed."
-W. Calley

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 3
RE: Air Units over their limit - do they disappear? - 8/14/2004 4:19:21 AM   
2ndACR

Early war yes, but late war the army actually gets some good a/c. If you are playing a stock Scen 15, you will be stuck with alot of bad equipped units in the army mid-late war.

Play Lemurs' Scen26 for better a/c options for the IJA.

http://mathubert.free.fr/

That will take you to Spooky's site. Lots of good stuff there.

(in reply to V2)
Post #: 4
RE: Air Units over their limit - do they disappear? - 8/14/2004 4:26:33 AM   
V2

Oorah and thanks.

"They were all enemy. They were all to be destroyed."
-W. Calley

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 5
RE: Air Units over their limit - do they disappear? - 8/14/2004 5:52:06 AM   
grumbler

quote:

ORIGINAL: V2

Of note, I disbanded a few units, and selected "no" to whether I want the unit to return as reinforcements. I then have a coupla super-units with 50+ Bettys each. The next turn, however, the unit is still there, but only with 27 or so A/C. DWhat happened to the rest of the aircraft?

They went to the replacement pool. the number in () is the max number of pilots that will be assigned to the unit (some REMF bookkeeping issue, I believe). Question, though: did you get a lot of planes in reserve? This seems to be the way that it works - excess planes go in the reserve in the squadron and are then brought out to replace losses. In fact, this is one way to replace the carrier pilots - disband CV-capable IJN air units in japan. It may even work for the long-ranged units, but I haven't tried it as those units are too valuable. I also haven't tried merging CV units (transferred ashore for the purpose) with air units based in japan. Someone with KB closer to home might try this and let us know.

EDIT: Never mind - the Mogami Method(TM) is almost an entire thread on its own, and answers all my questions.

quote:

2. Is there a way to increase the size of a unit? There's a Val unit with 9 stinkin' aircraft, yet there's 78 Val's in the replacement pool. The Val unit is in Tokyo with 35,000 supply. WTF??
Nope. these are 9-plane squadrons, and cannot upgrade to 27-plane groups. You can at least mind-meld with another similar unit and release somewhat trained pilots for other duties, I think.

< Message edited by grumbler -- 8/15/2004 6:25:47 PM >

(in reply to V2)
Post #: 6
RE: Air Units over their limit - do they disappear? - 8/14/2004 6:39:16 PM   
Culiacan Mexico

quote:

1. I've lost over 140 Bettys and Nells in the first 2 weeks of Scen 15. But only 30 of those are on the losses chart, and am wondering what happened to the rest.

You can’t build supper units, at least not for long. The number of aircraft in them is hard coded.

quote:

No.
quote:

3. Any input on this: For Jap A/C production, I retooled all factories to produce only 5 aircraft: Zero, Val, Kate, Betty, and Emily. For engines, Mitsubishi and Nakajima only (they are the only engines on the above A/C). It's 29 DEC 41, and I have the following in the replacement pools:
Zero 177
Val 78
Kate 134
Betty 84
Emily (none, not available yet)
Adjusting your production as you described probably wasn’t a good idea. The Army air units will need aircraft.

"If you love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lig

(in reply to V2)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> Air Units over their limit - do they disappear? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI