Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

INFORMATION ON SPWAW VER2.0

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> INFORMATION ON SPWAW VER2.0 Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
INFORMATION ON SPWAW VER2.0 - 6/9/2000 3:55:00 AM   
Wild Bill

This information just came from Michael Wood, chief programmer at Matrix Games. Here is a list of the changes you will find in the upcoming Version 2.0. Due to the many changes and added features in the game, it has become an improved version of the game instead of just a patch. It will not be a huge download. It will be installed just like a patch would. It is not another game. Wild Bill FEATURES and CHANGES COMING WITH SPWAW, VER.2.0 From Michael Wood The batch file, “start.bat” and the file, “intro.exe” are no longer used. A new Windows file, called “spwaw.exe” is now used to start the game. No more DOS box will be there when you end game. If a unit has fired all of its shots during opportunity fire and an enemy unit moves close to it or fires at it, the unit may now, with a special experience check, gain extra shots. This will prevent players from trying to use up all the opportunity fire for a unit and then charge up to it and fire. Since this requires a special experience check, it is uncertain as to how many opportunity fire shots the defending unit will have. When selecting and firing at a target using the “Target” button, “t”, the targeting window now closes before the shot takes place. The same occurs with the “Target Indirect Fire”, “z” and the “Fire Smoke with Direct Fire” button, “x”. Thanks to a special effort by Mike "Warhorse" Amos and a small team of collaborators, trains have been added to the game. Though not fully functional, they do allow for battles where trains were involved. This is a feature unique among SP games only in SPWAW. When in the scenario editor deployment screen, pressing the “u” key will, upon verification, destroy the currently selected unit. This feature was added to replace the bug, which destroyed any unit, assigned to the “A0” headquarters unit, which has been fixed. The bug was popular among scenario designers. Engineers can now remove tank traps and blow holes through walls and hedges. Medium and large caliber artillery can now blow holes in walls and hedges. Fires will now persist longer and may spread to adjacent hexes with flammable terrain. Beach assaults by the United States Marine Corps will now occur in the generated and long WW II campaigns. When firing, the button buffer is now flushed immediately and the buttons will not respond to clicks until after the fire and return fire take place. The keyboard buffer has been flushed in the past, but the not the button buffer. This keeps the player from accidentally clicking the fire button, and clicking it again, before the enemy returns fire and suppresses the firing unit. Units in hexes adjacent to impact hexes can now take suppression or even casualties from large caliber ordinance. Suppression code was rewritten, so that high explosives bombardment causes a lot more suppression against infantry and armor from direct fire and from indirect fire in the target hex and adjacent hexes. Vehicles are now hit more often than before by bombardment. Improved computer opponent setup, to handle city battles better. Altered calculations, to allow smaller caliber guns to do more internal damage against lightly armored vehicles. Changed term “dug in” in game to “in cover”, which better describes the condition. Computer controlled vehicles should no longer plow through every building they come across. The path finding code has been rewritten. They will now avoid entering buildings, unless the building has a victory objective. Artillery effectiveness vs. soft targets and vs. armor units gauges has been added. These work much like the toughness gauges. Raising one of these above 100% will make the artillery perform better than normal and reducing it below 100% will retard artillery performance against the specified type. A new button, the “True Troop Cost” button can now be found on the preferences screen. When on, this button will cause troop costs to be generated, using the unit’s experience as a factor. Before now, this only occurred when “Country Training” option was off. This option replaces the “Hide Fort” option, which is now considered to always be off. In campaign generator and the long WW II campaign some users wanted to be able to set the points before starting the campaign, instead of using the points generated by the campaign code. Either campaign will now use the default calculated starting points unless the player has changed the starting ‘Battle Points’ value in the preferences to a value other than “XXXX” for Player 1. If he has set this value, the game will use this value. Multi-language support is now available. New EXE will be available for Polish, Finnish, Spanish, German, French and Italian. Many other languages are also in the works. NOTE: If you can translate please write us. Maximum units have been increased to 800. Maximum formations have been increased to 400. Maximum core units have been increased to 200. Some players felt bridges were are too easy to destroy. They have been made tougher. It should now take about a 105mm gun to destroy a wooden bridge and about a 150mm gun to destroy a stone bridge. In campaigns, the number of turns for a battle was randomly determined each time the battle was loaded. It is now determined when the battle is generated and saved with the game. Transporting units now display the name of the unit they are carrying in the lower left hand side of the main map screen. If they are carrying more than one unit, the last unit loaded is displayed. When the option ‘Full Ammo’ was turned off on the preferences screen, strike aircraft were not carrying a full bomb load, which meant some planes were flying the mission with no bombs. Strike aircraft now start every battle with full ammunition, even when the “Full Ammo” option is turned off. Units firing at other units in the same hex were automatically facing to the right of the screen, which sometimes made the rear of the unit face the enemy force, when the enemy force was coming from the left of the screen. Units should no longer do this. They will now retain the facing they had before they fired. Some player’s felt off board artillery was out of command too much. It has been made easier to contact and stay in contact. Holding down the “.” key should now cause the VCR replay to abort, in midstream. Note that you should hold the key down until the current packet has been displayed, at which time the game will stop the VRC and resume play. Counter battery fire frequency was adjusted. Some players felt units should be exchangeable for units not of the same type, for instance armor for infantry, while in a campaign. A unit now can be exchanged for any type of unit. This exchange is, however, a hardware exchange. The officer and men remain the same, with the same skills and experience, minus the experience penalty generated by the exchange. Some players wanted to be able to continue the long WW II campaign after a defeat. They now can. A defeat generates no victory points, however. The mouse cursor now becomes an hourglass while the human players unit is moving and during bombardments, so he will know he cannot choose another unit. The map size in campaign generator and long WW II campaign battles is now random chosen and will range from 40 to 80 hexes high. Vehicles and guns that have been abandoned no longer have the “+” drawn on them. This should make it easier to see, at a glance, if the unit is active. BUGS ELIMINATED: Assigning a unit to the ‘A’ headquarters formation destroyed the unit. It no longer does so. Philippines were using Arabic sounding names for leaders. They should now use more Spanish sounding names. There was an error in the indirect fire code that caused an on board mortar section to miss with all rounds or straddle unit and hit with almost all rounds, because the wind was not being considered. This has been corrected. Indirect fire now assumes that the shells are spread out within the hex, which increase the chance of hits, but when hits occur, reduces the number of hits. This should prevent all rounds missing for 6 turns and then one turn, all rounds hitting the squad and wiping it out. There was a wind direction error in the indirect fire scatter pattern code, which made the scatter always to the north and northwest. Artillery fire should now scatter in other directions, as well. Fortifications were assigned artillery officers. They will now be assigned armor officers. This should make their direct fire more accurate. Off board artillery was being assigning armor officers. They will now be assigned artillery officers. This should make their indirect fire more accurate. Text was changed from “Can small load guns” to “Can load small guns”. When fire guns indirect fire, the crews were facing the direction of fire, but not the guns. The guns should now face the direction of fire, as well Moving the mouse to the bottom of the thumbnail map caused the map to scroll. The mouse must now touch the bottom of the screen to cause scrolling. Immobilized units were not reported as immobilized. The pop-out data box for immobilized units should now say “Immobilized”, when the cursor is moved across them. Non-vehicular units that were pinned sometimes reported as “buttoned”, when the cursor was moved across them. They should report as ‘pinned”, now. In campaign generator campaigns, players were unable to fix/upgrade units, were not receiving experience, were having leaders replaced properly. The computer opponent was sometimes purchasing enemy troops or no troops at all, the date and battle numbers were not incrementing, support units were becoming part of the core units, units were not having ammunition replenished between battles, the score was being calculated incorrectly and units were left strewn across the battle field between battles. All these were fixed and should now work properly. When firing a specific weapon “c”, sometimes the weapon was not fire due to facing on non-turreted units. The non-turreted unit should now turn, as needed to face properly and fire. In campaign generator campaigns and long WW II campaigns, some text messages before the battle were not being displayed. Now, a screen, with orders, should now appear before each battle, in these campaigns. User defined campaigns, text messages before battles were not displayed in saved games. They should now be displayed. Crews were not re-combining with their parent unit (vehicle or gun) after any campaign battles. They should now combine with the parent unit automatically, if they abandoned the parent unit and it was not destroyed. They will combine with the parent unit, even if that unit was destroyed, if the player repairs the unit immediately. Otherwise they are reassigned to some other force, not controlled by the player. Note that repairing a unit with living crewmen no longer means replacement of the leader. Immobilized turret-less vehicles could turn to fire weapons during the computer opponent move. This should no longer occur. Crews bailing out of units with 0 speed always had 0 speed the turn they made a voluntary bail out. Crews should now have some movement points. How many movement points the crew will have, depends of whether the unit is sighted, has been fired upon, has moved or fired itself. Some new countries were using the wrong objective flags and when the opposing armies were from the same nation, they used the same flag for both sides, instead of using the red army flag for one of the armies. All countries should now use the proper objective flags. When fighting a civil war, one of the countries will now have a red, “R” flag. Game was crashing when all units on the human player side or the computer player sides were destroyed. The game should now end at the end of the turn, when this occurs. When replaying the enemies last turn on the VCR, the buttons to the left disappeared as they should, but moving the mouse over the region caused some to reappear. This should no longer occur. Sometimes, Special Forces and Partisans on infiltration missions who did not arrive during the battle were not available for the next battle, in campaigns. Instead they became permanent reinforcements, due on turn 255. This should no longer occur. At the end of a battle, if they have not arrived on the map, they are reassigned to the formation from which they came as ready and available. Vehicles immobilized by flooding out or bogging down were not acquiring the point of damage needed to let the user know they were immobile, on the repair/ upgrade screen. They should now receive one point of damage when immobilized in this fashion. Units could not throw hand grenades and Molotov cocktails at vehicles one hex away. They can, now. WHAT WE ARE WORKING ON: Increased numbers of levels. Due to gun elevation, hit location, penetration and movement cost issues, this feature is being delayed. The game mechanics use real world physics, instead of armor factors and random penetration values, so addition of further levels is more complicated than it might be in some other games. But, we are working on it. We just didn’t have time to release the change in this patch. Larger maps. Players will be able to use maps of size 240 high and 100 wide. TCP/IP play with Roger Wilco and Battlecom voice support. Also look for our new SPWAW game server for Opponents and league play coming soon. ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games [This message has been edited by Wild Bill (edited 06-10-2000).]

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
Post #: 1
- 6/9/2000 4:09:00 AM   
Billy Yank

quote:

Originally posted by Wild Bill: Game was crashing when all units on the human player side or the computer player sides were destroyed. The game should now end at the end of the turn, when this occurs.
I've got a question on this one. When the game ends, will the victor be given credit for all unclaimed victory hexes. I remember playing a US vs. Iraqi scenario in SP3 where I wiped out the last Iraqi unit before I had grabbed the last VH and I only got a marginal victory. ------------------ Billy Yank I don't define "my own" the way you want me to.

Billy Yank
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
-- Thorin Oakenshield

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 2
- 6/9/2000 4:17:00 AM   
Larry Holt

I'm salivating!! Will I have to restart my campaign in progress? You guys are the greatest! ------------------ An old soldier but not yet a faded one. OK, maybe just a bit faded.

Never take counsel of your fears.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 3
- 6/9/2000 4:29:00 AM   
headhunter

Great ! I am really impressed. Can't wait do get this patch ...

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 4
- 6/9/2000 5:12:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Okay Billy Yank, Johnny Reb here. You don't own it till you put your foot on it. War is hell (G)! Larry, it won't have a negative effect but some of the improvements may not show up either. That would be your call. Hopefully, looking good for less than a week from now, Headhunter! Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 5
- 6/9/2000 5:49:00 AM   
nikb

Wow Wow Wow...it just gets better - unbelievable. Nik

Nik

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 6
- 6/9/2000 6:03:00 AM   
Howling H R Bryars

Thanks folks, for all your efforts. Could you tell me where (URL) the update will be posted? ------------------ HRB3 aka "I Scream Man"

HRB3

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 7
- 6/9/2000 6:57:00 AM   
Alastair Anderson

Has the problem regarding firing uphill at adjacent units been looked at?? ie bottom hits at short range were producing some ultra high armour values. Interested to know about this one becasue it has a major effect on close combat fighting between armoured vehicles. I know Paul was looking at it... any result?? Great work guys - sounds great. Increased unit numbers is a real bonus. Once bigger maps come too it'll feel like a more detailed divisional level game almost. Awesome... Pity there just wont be enough hours in the day. :-( Cheers Al

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 8
- 6/9/2000 7:07:00 AM   
Spunkgibbon

Thankyou everyone at Matrix Games. Where would we be without you? Spending £30 on disappointing games with no support and no contact with the writers is where. It's very strange. There seems to be something fundamentally wrong with getting a game for free and then pestering the makers for improvements who then take notice and provide them. Don't get me wrong, I think it's fantastic, a real step forward for gaming. I just feel a bit guilty about it is all. And I'm not even Catholic... Thanks again for giving us the best wargame ever, thanks for taking notice of our suggestions (and gripes and moans) and thanks for giving us reason to feel guilty.

------------------------- "There is nothing more exhilarating than being shot at without result" - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 9
- 6/9/2000 8:01:00 AM   
Tombstone

SP:WAW is more than fantastic, it's totally unprecedented. First of all it's a software product that 'shipped' more or less on time. Second of all it's various bugs are being addressed immediately. Thirdly the amount of care given to the consumers' wishes is HUGE... and on top of that it's FREE. It's ridiculous. Matrix games has done a really good thing here. I work at a software game development company and it's no walk in the park. I'm really happy with the product and how it's changing to the users' needs, but I was just wondering one tiny little thing... It would be possible for one to play at SP3 scales with the new increased unit limits and map sizes would it?? I know it's not really possible, but that would make me wet my pants. Also, I noticed that there were no controls for animation level. Sometimes it takes too long to fire all the bullets and such.. am I just missing something or has that control been removed from the preferences menu?? Tomo

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 10
- 6/9/2000 8:40:00 AM   
Larry Holt

quote:

Originally posted by Tombstone: ... Also, I noticed that there were no controls for animation level. Sometimes it takes too long to fire all the bullets and such.. am I just missing something or has that control been removed from the preferences menu?? Tomo
Within preferences you can set fast arty to on so that you don't wait for each tube to fire individually. You can also set message delay to 1 for .1 second delay or even 0 for no messages displayed at all. Then again you can get a 700MHz system. While you are at it, get one for me. ------------------ An old soldier but not yet a faded one. OK, maybe just a bit faded.

Never take counsel of your fears.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 11
- 6/9/2000 9:51:00 AM   
Semachus

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wild Bill: [B]This information just came from Michael Wood, chief programmer at Matrix Games. Here is a list of the changes you will find in the upcoming Version 2.0. What can I say -- but -- great!! great!!...I loved the game when it first came out and I love it now!

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 12
- 6/9/2000 9:56:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Support goes in two directions when you think about it. The support of you gentlemen has proven to be a great incentive for all of us. You've lauded the good and tactfully pointed out areas for improvement. I actually look forward to coming to this forum where men still behave like gentlemen, with common courtesy and dignity. You don't find that often in this electronic maze of humanity. So let us thank you for a change. Thanks for helping in the testing and improving of the game. I've learned after many beta testing experiences that the public provides the best beta test group anywhere. You guys are all that and more. To answer a few of the questions, the ones I can. Perhaps not divisional (unless you have a regiment in reserve) but pretty close to it. Remember though, you are dealing with individual tanks and squads, not platoons as the base unit. That requires a lot more units and a lot more combat management. It is not for the faint of heart or the short of time. I think the animation button has been removed but there are other preferences that can speed up the game so fast you can't even read the text. Use those. AListair, Paul would be the one to answer you on uphill firing. That one is out of my range of expertise (and you don't have to go far to get there - We are gamers. We have been abused and cheated too. We know the feeling. We are doing our best to avoid giving you that feeling. Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 13
- 6/9/2000 12:49:00 PM   
Pack Rat

A truely impressive list of fixes and add to's. I must say I'm awaiting this almost as much as I was the game itself. ------------------ Good hunting, Pack Rat

PR

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 14
- 6/9/2000 1:45:00 PM   
Belaja smert

quote:

Originally posted by Wild Bill: Multi-language support is now available. New EXE will be available for Polish, Finnish, Spanish, German, French and Italian. Many other languages are also in the works. NOTE: If you can translate please write us.
A truly impressive list! You have done it again. One question: Does this multi-language support mean fully translated game? If so, can I switch from one .EXE to another whenever I want to change the language? Should make it even more interesting to play those Finland vs. Soviet scenarios... Belaja smert

"THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YE FRET"

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 15
- 6/9/2000 1:52:00 PM   
Wild Bill

Yes it should work just that way. One .exe file in English, the other in German, etc. As for Howling's question, I imagine the download sites will be the same for the new version or patch (it is patch size, not a full new game)but that is my guess, not official as yet. WB ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 16
- 6/9/2000 2:20:00 PM   
Belaja smert

Happy to hear that! BTW who translated the finnish version? I imagine that it wasn't anybody from Matrixgames. Is it possible to make corrections to the translations, if necessary? Belaja smert

"THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YE FRET"

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 17
- 6/9/2000 2:36:00 PM   
crumply

really great game. Does the update include a fix for the "all move" problem, as I was waiting for this fix before I tackled some of the larger scenarios. Or has it been fixed somewhere, and I just missed the post?

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 18
- 6/9/2000 5:59:00 PM   
crazyivan

THANKS WB i am drooling over the info on the pacth to come,most importantly the one on being able to select the pionts for the long campi- now you german untermenchen will feel the true power of the russian bear fall upon your facis.......sorry got carried away.you guys have done one hell of a job on this the only pian is a futher lack of sleep as the game keeps getting better my eyes look like shopping bags and my computer desk is full of empty cups and half eaten food wargamming is hell.keep up the good work . from comrad crazy LONG LIVE MOTHER RUSSIA!!!! [This message has been edited by crazyivan (edited 06-09-2000).]

"The best form of defence,is attack"

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 19
- 6/9/2000 7:20:00 PM   
Fabs

I can't wait to get my hands on the new version! Thanks a million, guys! ------------------ Fabs

Fabs

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 20
- 6/9/2000 7:53:00 PM   
Nikademus

very cool! Big list of fixes/improvements cant wait! (and it even wont mess with my glorious foray into the land of ancient temples) one question; any updates on the AFV vs AFV msg delay/pause issue? same for the aircraft/AA; hav'nt observed the latter enough yet to form an opinion but was curious as to what you thought so far.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 21
- 6/9/2000 8:08:00 PM   
Panther

Thanks a great deal guys, so much for yard work any time soon. My lawn is knee high now. Panther.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 22
- 6/9/2000 8:39:00 PM   
AStott

quote:

Originally posted by Wild Bill: Holding down the ?.? key should now cause the VCR replay to abort, in midstream. Note that you should hold the key down until the current packet has been displayed, at which time the game will stop the VRC and resume play.
Well, as nice as that is for canceling when you accidentally hit the VCR button, it would be even nicer to be able to abort a single message in the replay and move on to the next. Just something to think about for the future...
quote:

When replaying the enemies last turn on the VCR, the buttons to the left disappeared as they should, but moving the mouse over the region caused some to reappear. This should no longer occur.
Hmmm... I'm actually sad to see this fixed. The reason is that moving your mouse over these buttons would cause the currently displayed message to disappear. This would speed up the replay, while still allowing time to read the longer messages... All in all, actually a whole lot of really nice changes/fixes here. I REALLY like what I'm seeing. Thanks! Keep up the great work, and I hope you'll consider making a few more interface changes to improve the speed of play.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 23
- 6/9/2000 9:01:00 PM   
Kharan

A most impressive list! Some questions: Do you plan adding unit descriptions and the missing pictures in this patch? I second that the message delay issue would be nice to see improved, either by somehow enabling pause-key, giving the tank firing messages a constant delay (2 secs maybe) independent of all other messages, or make messages go away with a mouse click/move so you can have enough delay to read the tank msgs but wouldn't have to wait for rallies etc so long. Would it be possible to automate turning off Fast artillery before an airstrike and back on after it? Detailed air strikes are real eye candy, as you can see them changing/acquiring targets on the "fly". I guess abandoned tanks can't be fired at yet since it's not on the list? It's great that AI won't drive into buildings any more... maybe fires could also be a no-no for infantry? Can I set Battle length somehow? If I remember correctly, in SPWW2 this could be set in deployment phase by pressing period. [This message has been edited by Kharan (edited 06-09-2000).]

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 24
- 6/9/2000 9:01:00 PM   
Von Rom

To all you guys at Matrix: ******** TWO THUMBS UP ******** Keep up the excellent work! I'm looking forward to playing many of your up-coming games ------------------ A King Tiger can give you a definite edge... [This message has been edited by Von Rom (edited 06-09-2000).]

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 25
- 6/9/2000 9:03:00 PM   
Seth

Thank god for your game! It's all I can play after ripping the tray right out of my girlfriend's crappy CD drive with a fork last night while attempting to rescue Age of Empires II. Time for a new PC, I guess. Thanks for all the fun. Hopefully, when I replace the computer, it will solve the crashing problems. It seems like I'm the only one having them. I get them all the time (once every minute or so!) when moving units in generated campaigns, once when moving a unit in a scenario, and once while picking targets in a generated battle. I could send in my info, if I can figure out what kind of garbage it is. It's homebuilt.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 26
- 6/9/2000 9:51:00 PM   
Charles22

DANGER! DANGER! WILL ROBINSON, THERE MAY BE A BED-WETTER ON THE PREMISES! I agree with Tombstone's desire for platoon units instead, however....... Why did I 'really' like SP3 scale over SP1? Becuase I had more units to control in core. I said, "More units". Well, with the patch there will be more units. SP1 had the smallest amount of units. SPWAW v.1 had more than that, but not much more, and SP3 had the most, but now with the patch, I may be mistaken in saying this, but with SPWAW v.2 will probably have the possibility of the most units in core, more even than SP3. I liked SP3, as well, for the 'almost-divisional' feel to the game, but there was a drawback, and I had to play SPWAW to find that. What was that? In SP3, each unit was a platoon. Let's use an example of 5 tanks. When playing campaign, perhaps you got one destroyed with four remaining. When that destroyed tank was replaced, you wouldn't lose all that much experience for a new crew, so that if the unit of 5 tanks lost one, you would maybe be looking at a Gerry platoon's experience being cut down from 90 to say 87; not much of a loss. What does that do? Well, after playing this scale for a while, it's obvious to me, it makes your individual tank losses more personal. So, though I could still play SP3 scale, I will have more units, and it will be personal. Oh, just one last thing, and this really gets personal. If we played SP3 level, we wouldn't be able to bail the crews out of tanks. If one of them were heavily damaged, you'd have to abandon all tanks to save the one. More units and saved crews, what a deal!!! [This message has been edited by Charles22 (edited 06-09-2000).]

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 27
- 6/9/2000 10:19:00 PM   
Charles22

I have a question. In v.1 it seems to me as though when a crew abandons a vehicle, that the crew must be slain in order to receive credit for a kill. I'm not sure, but I would think a destroyed tank, in which there are survivors, would ring up a kill, and the crew would be an entirely new kill, if slain. So, in v.2 is it still this way and is my analysis correct?

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 28
- 6/9/2000 10:48:00 PM   
Dean Robb

quote:

I've learned after many beta testing experiences that the public provides the best beta test group anywhere. You guys are all that and more.
I've always thought that in-house beta testing was of limited usefullness. Of course, I was a public beta tester so I might have been biased . I have to say that it's FANTASTIC to see developers listening to their audience. I can't tell you how frustrating it used to be to tell developers that something was wrong or needed to be addressed and getting blown off, or told it wasn't gonna happen - and then see the game reamed after release because those issues were unaddressed. In looking at the v2.0 list, I see a LOT of items that we thought needed to be looked are have been, and problems usually found and corrected. I can only express my personal appreciation and strongest admiration for this kind of reponse from a developer; both for realizing that the game may need to be tweaked in the first place and for at least examining issues we think might be off. The improvements to the arty especially tickle me . BZ, guys...BZ.
quote:

We are gamers. We have been abused and cheated too. We know the feeling. We are doing our best to avoid giving you that feeling.
And ya'll are doing that in spades. Of course you realize that by responding to feedback this way and improving the game, you'll never be allowed into the Developer's Union...

Job Security: Being a Micro$oft lawyer...

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 29
- 6/9/2000 10:54:00 PM   
Kharan

Charles22: I'm not very sure but I think the only way to get a tank kill score is to blow one up. So if a crew vacates a tank, the only score you will get is in infantry casualties, IF you destroy the crew.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> INFORMATION ON SPWAW VER2.0 Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI