Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How much Oil for OZ and how is the best way?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> How much Oil for OZ and how is the best way? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How much Oil for OZ and how is the best way? - 8/18/2004 10:14:46 AM   
maverick0377

I played against the Computer and I´m now at the beginning of 1942!
I sent a big convoy over OZ to San Franzisko!
I hold Rangoon Wake! Canton Island is my good bases for a first step to OZ!
But How can I get the oil from USA to OZ! Which ship is the best?
I try it with Tk and AO ships but it don´t work and it showed me always Fuel as loaded and not OIL!
And if I will organize my support with fuel for cantoon then I saw the range for tankers will not work for a CS convoy to this island!
Who can help me because I don´t want to manage after every turn my support!
I will fight and concentrate me on the actually important point on the map!
Post #: 1
RE: How much Oil for OZ and how is the best way? - 8/18/2004 10:33:41 AM   
2ndACR

Do not trust the auto convoy routine.

Manually load a TK or AO with oil and send it. You can also send oil from the DEI.

Use the "do not unload" setting in the TF screen and use another base to refuel the convoy for long supply operations.

(in reply to maverick0377)
Post #: 2
RE: How much Oil for OZ and how is the best way? - 8/18/2004 11:00:33 AM   
maverick0377

Ok it takes a lot of time but I thougt it gave another way!
What do you think about canton island? is it a good base between the way to OZ?
How do you see if you have loaded oil? how much convoy´s did you sent and which base do you use?

Post #: 3
RE: How much Oil for OZ and how is the best way? - 8/18/2004 11:37:20 AM   
2ndACR

To be honest, I have yet to play as the Allied. I like the IJN.

Canton is a good stopover. May need to build up the facilities to port 4 and AF 4 just to prevent spoilage of fuel and supplies.
Base some PBY's there for ASW.

When you create a TF, you will be taken to the TF screen. Click the "Load oil" button. On the next turn the oil or resources will be displayed in orange. San Fransisco is a good base to use.

As to how much or how many, I play as the Japanese, so could not tell you.

Post #: 4
RE: How much Oil for OZ and how is the best way? - 8/18/2004 1:04:56 PM   
maverick0377

thx for your help I try to do it!

Post #: 5
RE: How much Oil for OZ and how is the best way? - 8/18/2004 1:06:27 PM   
maverick0377

Did somebody know how much I can sent to OZ!
Can I sent something from India?
After which period did you sent the next one or every day?

Post #: 6
RE: How much Oil for OZ and how is the best way? - 8/18/2004 6:07:47 PM   
foliveti

There is a resource calculator on Spooky's site that give you the lowdown on available reseources by area. Oil is generally in short supply once you lose DEI. There is a shortage in India as well as Oz. USA production is only about 500 oil points per day in excess of its requirements. So once DEI fall off the map there is oil shortage for running all of allied production.

Frank

Post #: 7
RE: How much Oil for OZ and how is the best way? - 8/18/2004 6:29:59 PM   
Feinder

I've sent tankers from India to Oz. It's a bit of a trek; it takes almost 3 weeks round trip, but that's about the same time as it takes to go from San Fran to Oz. I wish there was some useful cargo to carry back to India on the return trip, but thus far, my tankers just return empty.

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to foliveti)
Post #: 8
RE: How much Oil for OZ and how is the best way? - 8/18/2004 7:45:37 PM   
Buck Beach

quote:

ORIGINAL: maverick0377

I try it with Tk and AO ships but it don´t work and it showed me always Fuel as loaded and not OIL!

The loading of oil is a manuel task. Put tanker/oiler on Do not unload with a blank or the loading port destination. Each turn you must reset the orders for it to accumulate. It will show as fuel but in a darker/different color (I am color blind so I don't know what color).

Post #: 9
RE: How much Oil for OZ and how is the best way? - 8/18/2004 7:55:04 PM   
maverick0377

How works these ressource calculator?
What is the best way to do? Only ship from usa to Oz or from India to OZ but here are the way very dangerous because the planes from DEI!

(in reply to Buck Beach)
Post #: 10
RE: How much Oil for OZ and how is the best way? - 8/18/2004 8:25:16 PM   
foliveti

I haven't really used it as a calculator, what it does do is compare available productio of oil & resources to HI and lets you know whether you are short or have excess in an area. It also gives information on what bases there are and their production. It is an excel spreadsheet.

Frank

Post #: 11
RE: How much Oil for OZ and how is the best way? - 8/18/2004 10:35:02 PM   
grraven2004

Maverick,

A transport TF, when loading Resources/Oil, will have the numbers in RED. Remember the columns will still say supplies/fuel though.

(in reply to foliveti)
Post #: 12
RE: How much Oil for OZ and how is the best way? - 8/19/2004 1:35:42 AM   
Fallschirmjager

Pago-Pago and Suva are the only bases you need to hold the route to OZ. If you have extra stuff to throw around build up that island as well.

Once you get the line secured build up Auckland too.

(in reply to grraven2004)
Post #: 13
RE: How much Oil for OZ and how is the best way? - 8/21/2004 2:07:20 AM   
Cap Mandrake

You will need to ship fuel from the US or India...also you can evacuate oil from Surabaya, Medan, Balikipan etc. before the Japs make their push and bring it down to Perth which has oil refinery capacity.

(in reply to Fallschirmjager)
Post #: 14
RE: How much Oil for OZ and how is the best way? - 8/21/2004 5:38:10 PM   
esteban

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fallschirmjager

Pago-Pago and Suva are the only bases you need to hold the route to OZ. If you have extra stuff to throw around build up that island as well.

Once you get the line secured build up Auckland too.

I would definitely add New Zealand and Noumea to this list. In fact, because of the size of the map, the only way to REALLY close the U.S./Oz supply line is to take Noumea and a base or two in New Zealand. Otherwise, you can steer U.S./Oz convoys around the map edges, out of range of even Emilys, Nells and Bettys in Suva or Pago-Pago.

(in reply to Fallschirmjager)
Post #: 15
RE: How much Oil for OZ and how is the best way? - 8/22/2004 11:54:32 PM   
V2

Sorry if this sounds stupid. For the life of me: WHAT IN GOD's NAME IS OZ??????????????????
Whew. A little frustration at my ignorance.

"They were all enemy. They were all to be destroyed."
-W. Calley

Post #: 16
RE: How much Oil for OZ and how is the best way? - 8/23/2004 1:08:28 AM   
mwbay

Oz = Australia

(in reply to V2)
Post #: 17
RE: How much Oil for OZ and how is the best way? - 8/23/2004 4:24:33 AM   
freeboy

not to beat a dead horse, why worry about oil in oz? just ship fuel.. are you really worried the limited industry there will suffer?

(in reply to mwbay)
Post #: 18
RE: How much Oil for OZ and how is the best way? - 8/23/2004 4:33:16 AM   
moses

Oil is more effecient. Each unit of oil you get to Oz will give you one fuel, one supply as well as run the industry there. fuel only gives you fuel.

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 19
RE: How much Oil for OZ and how is the best way? - 8/23/2004 9:10:52 AM   
V2

Thanks.

"They were all enemy. They were all to be destroyed."
-W. Calley

(in reply to mwbay)
Post #: 20
RE: How much Oil for OZ and how is the best way? - 8/23/2004 9:24:03 AM   
freeboy

ok, but how much oil is available (extra), how much supply readilly shippable from the us, My point is that while your shipping oil, this unlimited amount of supply and fuel waits in the us to be used, why bother.. is it really that much? Too much work for me to worry about unless you can show me it will be efficent and not "ship costly"

(in reply to V2)
Post #: 21
RE: How much Oil for OZ and how is the best way? - 8/23/2004 3:44:04 PM   
worr

quote:

ORIGINAL: moses

Oil is more effecient. Each unit of oil you get to Oz will give you one fuel, one supply as well as run the industry there. fuel only gives you fuel.

You sure?

I thought the fuel was produced at the oil sight....not upon transport.

Worr, out

(in reply to moses)
Post #: 22
RE: How much Oil for OZ and how is the best way? - 8/23/2004 4:04:48 PM   
tsimmonds

quote:

ORIGINAL: worr

quote:

ORIGINAL: moses

You sure?

I thought the fuel was produced at the oil sight....not upon transport.

Worr, out

Oil gives you fuel twice: once when the oil point is produced (1 fuel point per oil center), then again when it is converted to HI points (1.33 fuel point per HI point produced). In the first case the fuel appears at the oil resource center, in the second at the HI center where the oil is consumed. Note that since an oil center produces a single fuel point together with 6 oil points, and that a single oil point (together with a resource point of course) produces 1.33 fuel points, the amount of fuel produced in the second step is 8X the amount of fuel produced in the first step....)

< Message edited by irrelevant -- 8/23/2004 9:09:27 AM >

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to worr)
Post #: 23
RE: How much Oil for OZ and how is the best way? - 8/25/2004 6:34:07 PM   
Central Blue

If you're playing Lemur's scenario it helps to get oil to Australia to jump start their economy. Not so much of an issue in scenario 15 IIRC. Probably not so much of an issue in the late war.

"Excess" oil in the US seems to end up in San Diego. There is quite a pile there at the begining of the war, and two large oilers to move it. If I can read these formula's right, you can create aprox 53,000 fuel points and 40,000 supply points for the fuel spent on those two oilers. You can then run short supply hops around Australia, rather than try to supply and fuel each city there with runs from Pago Pago. And it's much easier to supply a place like Port Moresby from Australia.

Oil also goes into the manpower formula. So I assume some is needed if you want to keep your Anzac units up to strength.

USS St. Louis firing on Guam, July 1944. The Cardinals and Browns faced each other in the World Series that year

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 24
RE: How much Oil for OZ and how is the best way? - 8/25/2004 7:55:53 PM   
PeteG662

So with all the transport of Oil, what is the cost in fuel for those ships to transport it half way around the world? Explain the cost benefit analysis of transporting anything really. Pull as much as you can out of DEI than work from the ends and let Oz deal with what they have in their limited economy. The resources used to transport need to be factored into the whole equation here.

(in reply to Central Blue)
Post #: 25
RE: How much Oil for OZ and how is the best way? - 9/1/2004 4:41:29 PM   
ZOOMIE1980

G4M1's might be able to reach Canton from Tarawa. Pago-Pago is your best bet. Send a small TK TF to Pago with fuel so the island has something to refuel with! Set that TF to Computer Controlled (this is NOT auto-convoy) and it will make repeated fuel runs to keep Pago stocked up.

The create your oil TF, set it to Do Not Unload, homebase Brisbane or Sydney, destination Pago-Pago. Remember when it finally arrives to remove the Do Not Unload setting or it will just sit there forever and never unload. When done, set it's homebase back to SF or whereever and its destination Pago-Pago. Rinse and repeat.....

Your massive AK TF's hauling supply don't need the refuel stop over, though. However, route them to Auckland, not OZ, directly. Keep a fairly large collection of the 4500 or less sized AK's at Auckland. Use those to move the supplies where needed in the SW Pacific. Same with Fuel TF's, but TK's will need to use the Pago-Pago pitstop. You can go directly to Auckland from SF and stay out of G4M1 range at Tarawa. However if the Jap player has moved further down than that you will have to reroute to the south.

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 26
RE: How much Oil for OZ and how is the best way? - 9/1/2004 11:04:33 PM   
Hartley

Tarawa would have to be at least a size 4 airfield for Bettys.

(in reply to ZOOMIE1980)
Post #: 27
RE: How much Oil for OZ and how is the best way? - 9/2/2004 1:22:35 AM   
worr

quote:

ORIGINAL: irrelevant
Oil gives you fuel twice: once when the oil point is produced (1 fuel point per oil center), then again when it is converted to HI points (1.33 fuel point per HI point produced). In the first case the fuel appears at the oil resource center, in the second at the HI center where the oil is consumed. Note that since an oil center produces a single fuel point together with 6 oil points, and that a single oil point (together with a resource point of course) produces 1.33 fuel points, the amount of fuel produced in the second step is 8X the amount of fuel produced in the first step....)

Does this mean it is possible to produce extra fuel each time you move oil around?

So you could take Oil from one base and take it to an island with a factory and watch it convert itself into fuel. Then you could take that same oil and deliver it to another factory location and get the same bonus once again?

Worr, out

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 28
RE: How much Oil for OZ and how is the best way? - 9/2/2004 2:16:11 AM   
Mr.Frag

Don't get confused Worr.

A Oil Resource location produces 6 Oil + 1 Fuel per turn.

When you ship that 6 oil somwhere where HI is, it is converted to (6 x 1.33) 8 Fuel

You are not getting any extra by doing anything special. This is the normal course of the game.

All that is being said is shipping Oil instead of Fuel (assuming you have spare HI capacity to convert it) nets you some extra fuel for the same amount of shipping used. ie: a 18,000 TK will be 18,000 fuel or 23940 (oil -> fuel)

This works dandy until you saturate the HI capacity *which* being the Allies, you can not expand at all. Past that point, you stop getting *any* extra fuel because the Oil just sits there waiting it's turn to be converted.

< Message edited by Mr.Frag -- 9/1/2004 7:16:22 PM >

(in reply to worr)
Post #: 29
RE: How much Oil for OZ and how is the best way? - 9/2/2004 3:04:07 AM   
worr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag
You are not getting any extra by doing anything special. This is the normal course of the game.

I wasn't suggesting otherwise, Mr.Frag.

Sorry if I confused anyone here. I was actually asking about a second shipment of the same oil to another HI location. Say you go from Palembang, to Singapore. You'll get the fuel production there. Understood. But if you pick up that same oil and take it to Japan, what will happen then as it reaches a new HI?

As I understand it there are some production equations that work on a pool and others that interact only with specific locations.

I hope this helps.

Worr, out

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> How much Oil for OZ and how is the best way? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI